Miami Vice (Michael Mann, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
The Invunche

#201 Post by The Invunche » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:40 pm

Roger, my point was that some American don't understand English accents that aren't American. Sorry for simplifying the argument by reducing American accents to "one". I'm well aware of the different accents.

Oh and the movie was beautiful as proved by my avatar.

flyonthewall2983

#202 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:54 pm

I kinda knew, walking out after finishing watching it, that it would stir up some controversy here. The premonition I had when I wrote my review of the film, that to enjoy it is to know Michael's filmography back and front, has come true to some extent. It's not his best work, and I think alot of us can agree on that. Heat and The Insider are really the two dragons of expectation that he has to slay, and that in itself is a very unenviable task. But to say that his creativitiy peaked with those two films as a storyteller and a visual artist is premature. I hope with whatever he does next, that he learned an awful lot from the experience of doing Miami Vice, and that he comes out of it much wiser.

Roger_Thornhill

#203 Post by Roger_Thornhill » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:31 am

The Invunche wrote:Roger, my point was that some American don't understand English accents that aren't American. Sorry for simplifying the argument by reducing American accents to "one". I'm well aware of the different accents.

Oh and the movie was beautiful as proved by my avatar.
Yes, of course, you stated that originally. I figured you meant the non-regional accent anyways, but some of my non-native English speaking friends in Prague and Paris (don't have any Danish friends :( ) didn't realize that there were literally dozens of different accents in the US and Canada. Just as it's difficult for myself to tell different French accents apart even though I'm getting better every year I visit France. You're Danish I assume, so I thought perhaps you may be unaware of the different accents or unable to recognize the difference. For example, I was living in Paris when A History of Violence came out and I went and saw it with some French friends of mine. After the movie ended we were discussing it and none of them caught on to the accent switch of Vigo from non-regional to a strong Philly accent, which I think enhanced his performance and Cronenberg's duality theme. Interestingly enough, Cronenberg mentions on the commentary track a similiar experience when the film was shown at Cannes. You seem to have a greater command of the English language then my French friends do, so I imagine you'd notice such differences. Sorry for getting way off-topic, but one of my hobbies is studying languages...

Back to Mann and Miami Vice, has anyone heard of any negative repercussions on future Mann projects (such as The Few) because of the box office failure of this film?

che-etienne

#204 Post by che-etienne » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:23 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I kinda knew, walking out after finishing watching it, that it would stir up some controversy here. The premonition I had when I wrote my review of the film, that to enjoy it is to know Michael's filmography back and front, has come true to some extent. It's not his best work, and I think alot of us can agree on that. Heat and The Insider are really the two dragons of expectation that he has to slay, and that in itself is a very unenviable task. But to say that his creativitiy peaked with those two films as a storyteller and a visual artist is premature. I hope with whatever he does next, that he learned an awful lot from the experience of doing Miami Vice, and that he comes out of it much wiser.
I would put "Collateral" up there as well.

flyonthewall2983

#205 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 am

Oh, that too definitely.

Fletch F. Fletch

#206 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:38 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I kinda knew, walking out after finishing watching it, that it would stir up some controversy here. The premonition I had when I wrote my review of the film, that to enjoy it is to know Michael's filmography back and front, has come true to some extent. It's not his best work, and I think alot of us can agree on that. Heat and The Insider are really the two dragons of expectation that he has to slay, and that in itself is a very unenviable task. But to say that his creativitiy peaked with those two films as a storyteller and a visual artist is premature. I hope with whatever he does next, that he learned an awful lot from the experience of doing Miami Vice, and that he comes out of it much wiser.
Yeah, I can agree with that. I think the biggest mistake Mann made on this film was calling it Miami Vice. There was just way too much expectation going in that this would be a loving, nostalgic rehash of the show no matter how much press Mann and his stars did stating that this was not their intention. People were disappointed that it wasn't like the Starsky and Hutch movie all jokes and kitsch. If he had called it something else I think there would have been a lot less pressure on the film.

That being said, you're right -- Mann faces expectation of another kind, having to live up to the legacy of films like Heat and The Insider. I am really curious to see how my view of this film changes once it comes out on DVD and I get a chance to see it a few more times.

flyonthewall2983

#207 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:24 am

I think it would be great, at this point, is for him to go back and do the kind of smaller-budget films he did, like Thief and Manhunter.

Fletch F. Fletch

#208 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 am

I found an early draft of the movie online. Interesting to see what was cut out/changed. Check it out, here

Len

#209 Post by Len » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks!

Ended up reading the whole thing. Most of the changes are definitely for the better, especially the ending is just a huge mess in the rough draft. I would've loved to read Mann's original designs for the final scene (before the shooting incident that caused Foxx to freak out), supposedly it would've been some grander affair set in an industrial district somewhere in central america.

But I must say Mann writes a nice screenplay, it was surprisingly pleasant to read.

Matt

#210 Post by Matt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm

The brand new issue of Film Comment says that Miami Vice II is on the way (reuniting Foxx, Farrell, and Mann).

flyonthewall2983

#211 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:36 pm

Matt wrote:The brand new issue of Film Comment says that Miami Vice II is on the way (reuniting Foxx, Farrell, and Mann).
In the words of Dr. Samuel Becket...oh boy.

Fletch F. Fletch

#212 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:12 pm

Matt wrote:The brand new issue of Film Comment says that Miami Vice II is on the way (reuniting Foxx, Farrell, and Mann).
Hmm... I will believe that when I see it based on the film's lackluster box office (altho, I'm sure they will recoup their losses on DVD) and Mann's disinterest in doing sequels. I really can't see Universal ponying up for another go.

Antoine Doinel

#213 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:30 pm

But I can see them doing what they did for The Fast & The Furious and ditch the "stars" from the first movie and do a run of shittier, cheaper sequels with lesser talent (not that the original movie was a masterpiece by any stretch).

flyonthewall2983

#214 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:31 pm

I'd wager to say that the DVD sales will ultimately decide if Universal moves ahead with a sequel.

jon

#215 Post by jon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Well then, if that is the case, I would urge everyone to not buy the dvd.

John Cope

#216 Post by John Cope » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Please elaborate.

jon

#217 Post by jon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I'd wager to say that the DVD sales will ultimately decide if Universal moves ahead with a sequel.
John Cope wrote:Please elaborate.
An elaboration of sorts...

Well, I am making this statement or plea in response to the post stating that Miami Vice 2 is a strong possibility that has already been discussed, and would be definite if the DVD sales go well. I was not a fan of the movie , except for Gong Li (but I like her in everything). I would rather see something good coming out of Mann in the near future, rather than a Miami Vice 2.

Basically, I didn't like the film much and would rather not see a Miami Vice 2 over some other potential Mann picture.

flyonthewall2983

#218 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:33 pm

I don't want to, and I liked the film. During that final scene, I had a feeling that maybe it was put in for the possibility of a sequel. On that same token, it does not surprise me at all that Michael isn't a sequel guy. So whether or not it happens, it'll be interesting how. I agree with jon, however, that I'd be much more invested in a project that takes him in a different direction.

flyonthewall2983

#219 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:38 pm

What I'd really like to see him do is return to television, but not to any of the majors. He could really get something rolling if he made a deal with HBO or Showtime.

jon

#220 Post by jon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:26 am

Miami Vice 2007 - The Series! :wink:

Fletch F. Fletch

#221 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:What I'd really like to see him do is return to television, but not to any of the majors. He could really get something rolling if he made a deal with HBO or Showtime.
Yeah, I would dig that as well. And based on the casting of the Miami Vice movie, he seems to be a big fan of HBO's shows.

I don't put much stock in these sequel rumors. The only people who have been talking up a potential sequel have been Farrell and Foxx with Mann being cagey at best. I serioiusly doubt he'd be involved in a sequel beyond an executive producer credit as he just doesn't seem all that interested in sequels and likes to try something else. Not to mention he's been attached to several other projects anyway so we'll see which one gets the greenlight.

Len

#222 Post by Len » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:47 pm

I hate posting stuff like this without sources, but I couldn't find the article I read way back when. Anyways, before Miami Vice was released, I read in an interview that Mann was already then interested in doing a sequel set almost entirely in Miami, as he felt he wanted to show the city in a completely new light, since the first film doesn't really take place in Miami for the most part.

So if he's still going ahead with that plan, I easily could imagine Universal might be on board with that, as that would undoubtedly be alot cheaper than the first one.

Antoine Doinel

#223 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:57 pm

Len wrote:I hate posting stuff like this without sources, but I couldn't find the article I read way back when. Anyways, before Miami Vice was released, I read in an interview that Mann was already then interested in doing a sequel set almost entirely in Miami, as he felt he wanted to show the city in a completely new light, since the first film doesn't really take place in Miami for the most part.

So if he's still going ahead with that plan, I easily could imagine Universal might be on board with that, as that would undoubtedly be alot cheaper than the first one.
Cheaper how? Weren't Fox and Farrell's salaries, entourage demands and partying the very reason the film ran overbudget and late in the first place?

Len

#224 Post by Len » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote: Cheaper how? Weren't Fox and Farrell's salaries, entourage demands and partying the very reason the film ran overbudget and late in the first place?
Surely alot of the money was spent (I believe this was discussed somewhere earlier in the thread) on filming on several locations in central america with a huge crew. Not to mention that apparently Mann, Farrell and Foxx had negotiated themselves very favourable contracts, and I would believe that for the sequel all three wouldn't get nearly as much money.

Should the sequel be set in entirely in Miami, I can't imagine it going over the budget the same way the first one did, with last-minute changes in shooting locations and so on. And I'd believe Universal would be alot more reluctant to throw money on the film this time than they were with the first one. For obvious reasons.

Matt

#225 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 pm

And I'm sure that Universal was smart enough to lock in sequel options in Farrell, Foxx, and Mann's contracts.