Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Ribs

Re: Marvel Comics on Film

#26 Post by Ribs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:51 am

Low sample size and everything, but it definitely won’t multiply out like Star Wars did and probably not as well as Black Panther. Final BO could be anywhere from like $610 million to $760 depending on how the rest of the Summer market turns out.

(Black Panther has actually had a box office boost this weekend, performing better than last week, which amuses me)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#27 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:52 am

Especially surprising given that this one is 25 minutes longer than The Force Awakens, and that was the first franchise entry in a decade where Infinity War is the 19th or 20th.

dda1996a

#28 Post by dda1996a » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Maybe because this time they combined every single character they have in the now larger roster?

Ribs

#29 Post by Ribs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:40 pm

The thing that a lot of people didn’t appreciate about the Avengers is that the box office for Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, and Thor 2 were all substantially higher than their (basically just breakeven for Captain America and Thor) predecessors off the back of that success. Theoretically, that was the idea of what would happen with Dr. Strange and Black Panther in particular after this, but I don’t imagine they expected Black Panther to throw that model out the window. It will be incredibly interesting to see how Ant-Man 2 performs in July considering it has been so long since Civil War and how minor a role he had in that.

oldsheperd

#30 Post by oldsheperd » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Infinity War is the best Marvel film so far. I'm glad they made Thanos more that just a one-dimensional villain. I was bummed that
SpoilerShow
Scarlet Witch
apparently died and not
SpoilerShow
Black Widow
whom I think is pretty useless.

Big Ben

#31 Post by Big Ben » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:57 pm

oldsheperd wrote: I was bummed that
SpoilerShow
Scarlet Witch
apparently died and not
SpoilerShow
Black Widow
whom I think is pretty useless.
They can't bump off
SpoilerShow
Black Widow because she's getting a solo film in the future. A writer has been confirmed.

DarkImbecile

Re: Comic Books on Film

#32 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:From what I gather of the ending of Infinity War, I'm so glad I never even bothered trying to keep up with this massive franchise
SpoilerShow
How can anything we see in these movies have stakes if 90% of the characters "die" in the finale, yet many of these have already been announced as appearing in sequels, so we know this franchise has no intention of keeping them dead and so what's the point if anything can be reversed? Saying this is how it works in the comics is no defense, that's equally dumb and zero stakes in any format
SpoilerShow
Walking out of the theater, I was very much on board with this sentiment. Because the film wrings every last drop of forced sentiment out of the deaths of half of its cast - even while it must be transparent to anyone bothering to fight the crowds to see the film its opening weekend that these universe-wide consequences only matter until next summer's Avengers movie undoes them (if they're not resolved even before then) - the hollowness and ultimate meaningless of, for example, the now notorious panicked Spider-man death scene was seriously grating.

However, having spent the weekend letting my irritation at the climax wane a bit, I also have to acknowledge that part of the reason this "cliffhanger" ending bothered me was that up to that point the directors and screenwriters actually did a fairly decent job juggling its multitude of characters by clustering them into one of three core plot strands, so this overstuffed extravaganza paradoxically feels less over-plotted than some of the other films in this franchise. I suppose I have to give some begrudged respect to the filmmakers that didn't turn this into a total dumpster fire and delivered a fair amount of the character-based humor and charm that is the key component of these films even with all the action/exposition required.

Though it's too absurd in its cosmic mechanics and various MacGuffins to be something I really enjoyed, I can acknowledge that for the genre it is slightly above average, with a high-degree of difficulty inherent in even a mildly successful execution.

Kirkinson

#33 Post by Kirkinson » Thu May 03, 2018 2:36 pm

I thought Infinity War was pretty bad. Most of my problems are with the storytelling and character dynamics, but it didn't help that the action scenes (and this movie is nearly wall-to-wall action scenes) were directed in such an ordinary, unexceptional way. They are indeed coherent and you could follow everything easily, but all that says is the movie displayed basic levels of competence among the people who made it, which is what I would expect when they've already done this successfully multiple times. Now I'll admit I don't see many action movies, so maybe I'm just unaware that they're so badly made nowadays that general coherence is exceptional and ought to be applauded. But watching this reminded me how much I appreciated the way Rian Johnson always seemed to know exactly where to put the camera and how to move it in The Last Jedi so that every action scene could have thrilling and sometimes surprising filmmaking and be totally coherent and easy to follow at the same time. In terms of film language nothing in Infinity War rises above the standards of most network TV shows, however exponentially larger the production values may be. I longed for even just one of the cheesy but nonetheless painterly Heavy Metal-esque shots Thor: Ragnarok indulged in. Even Black Panther's action scenes had more style and they were by far the least interesting part of that movie.

I will say the Russo brothers did manage to turn the sheer scale of this movie's story into an asset in the sense that so many things have to happen so quickly that for the most part the story blurs over its own problems through breathless pacing alone. Nevertheless:

• Significant elements of plot or drama happen because a hero behaves stupidly, which is always a deeply frustrating way to move a story forward.
• As others have said, a lot of the humor does feel very shoehorned-in, and I thought most of it fell pretty flat (though I didn't see this with a large enough crowd to gauge how it landed with an audience — I'm guessing fans loved it).
• I expected lots of characters to have very little to do and that the movie would rely on the audience's prior knowledge, but I don't think that necessitated turning so many of these people into nothing more than basic caricatures of themselves. God only knows what they think they're doing with Mark Ruffalo, who has been reduced to near-Jar Jar Binks levels of bumbling comic relief.
• Characters' powers fluctuate wildly depending on the needs of the plot. This was a problem with Civil War too, but I think it's worse here. With the things we see Scarlet Witch do in the final battle she really shouldn't have had any trouble with the two henchmen who attack her early in the film. Dr. Strange has similar issues. Thor's whole arc in his last movie involved learning how to summon his power without his hammer, but he seems to have lost that ability again in this one. Loki, a previously formidable villain, tries to attack a very powerful opponent by summoning a single knife. Half an hour into this movie Thanos can already slice people up from a distance and turn anything he wants into bubbles, but for some reason he doesn't just automatically do this to everyone who comes within 100 yards of him and has to keep fist-fighting people. Etc etc.
SpoilerShow
• Various dramatic situations are repeated in the plot with no sense of irony or reflection; i.e., no indication that one circumstance is intentionally mirroring another. E.g., two different couples are pushed into scenarios where one has to kill the other. Star Lord tries in vain to stop Drax from rushing at Thanos and ruining their plan, then later in the movie everyone has to stop Star Lord from rushing at Thanos and ruining their plan.
• The ending of Thor: Ragnarok retroactively seems like a sadistic joke now that we know everyone on that ship other than Thor was killed just minutes later.
• Peter Dinklage has yet another role here completely defined by his dwarfism. I'm not sure whether he chooses to take roles like this despite the fact that he could afford to be more discerning, or whether he doesn't actually have the clout it seems he should at this point and these are the only roles he gets offered, but either way it's kind of sad.
• Like everyone else is saying, the high stakes we supposedly get this time around are nothing of the sort, as most of these characters will surely be resurrected next year. The only death that actually has any emotional register on screen is Spider-man's, and apparently that's entirely due to improv by Tom Holland.
• The fact that Black Panther is one of the characters who dissolves into ash at the end of this seems like a pretty good indication that Marvel actually had no idea that movie was going to have the impact it did. I've heard other people who are much more into these movies say that death in particular felt like a slap in the face.
Anyway, I wouldn't say this movie is anywhere near the kind of embarrassment that, say, X-Men: Apocalypse was. The MCU is too well-oiled a machine for that. But it was probably the most soulless and unmoving experience I've had in a theater in a long time.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#34 Post by jindianajonz » Thu May 03, 2018 5:24 pm

My biggest frustration is
SpoilerShow
Not only is it blatantly obvious at least some of these characters are going to come back, as Spiderman has already been announced and Dr Strange and Black Panther have only just started their promising mini-franchises, but the movie actually showcases how it will happen, since we already witnessed Vision getting brought back.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#35 Post by tenia » Fri May 04, 2018 5:19 am

What did you guys thought of the CGI in IW ? I've read multiple times that despite the huge budget, they were mostly awful, but also that there were so many of them that in some cases, the actors didn't even know in which direction they were supposed to look, and you can see this in the final cut (I've read that about Tom Holland, especially).

HitchcockLang

#36 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 am

Saw it last night and it weirdly felt like the closest Disney would ever come to remaking
SpoilerShow
Michael Haneke's Funny Games.
Particularly in that the film thrashes the audience with what appears to be an unwinable situation then gives the heroes an unexpected chance in the form of an emotionally distraught woman's drastic action only to have the villain rewind the film and erase that action and then all the good guys die.
I loved it.

Kirkinson

#37 Post by Kirkinson » Fri May 04, 2018 12:34 pm

tenia wrote:What did you guys thought of the CGI in IW ? I've read multiple times that despite the huge budget, they were mostly awful, but also that there were so many of them that in some cases, the actors didn't even know in which direction they were supposed to look, and you can see this in the final cut (I've read that about Tom Holland, especially).
I don’t recall any really serious problems like that, just a handful of instances in which something looks off (and every huge effects movie is going to have at least a few of those). I mean, nothing in the movie looks real, but it mostly looks consistent with its own pre-established universe. And Thanos looks impressive not because he necessarily looks photorealistic, but because you can actually see a real, “human” performance from Josh Brolin in his face.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#38 Post by tenia » Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 pm

What I read was especially saying that while the work on Thanos was very good, other things were more problematic. I quote :
"Green screens are particularly obvious (on Planet Titan for instance) to the point it's hard to blasting through our suspension of disbelief, Tom Holland's eyes often aren't aligned with where the other characters are placed (shwoing how all-digital movies like this can interfer even with the actors' play), and some incrustations are very approximative, like towards the end of the movie, where Banner's face, incrusted in the Hulkbuster, look more like a cheap fan movie than anything. It's only slightly better (maybe because of its pharaonic budget) than Black Panther, whose handling of digital doubles and other green screens put us 10 years backwards".

Kirkinson

#39 Post by Kirkinson » Fri May 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Yeah, I definitely noticed the problems with Banner in the Hulkbuster, and some of the green screen environments don't totally work (though I think that's a problem of bland design as much as anything). But even without disagreeing with any of the specific examples mentioned in that quote, I would still say none of it looked egregious to me compared to the other Marvel movies I've seen.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#40 Post by tenia » Fri May 04, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for the precision. My concern stems from some recent big budget movies in which I was surprised to see some very obvious CGI and what felt (IMO) like poor VFX work. Amongst them are The Last Jedi, Alien Covenant and Justice League. It's not something I remember seeing in such productions say 5 years ago, but rather the opposite. I still remain, for instance, extremely impressed by the VFX integration on Nolan's The Dark Knight.
But with these, including some recent Marvel movies, it feels like a step back to me, and I'm interested in seeing if this is indeed a true trend or just a few packed isolated cases.

black&huge

#41 Post by black&huge » Sat May 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Kirkinson wrote:
SpoilerShow
• Characters' powers fluctuate wildly depending on the needs of the plot. This was a problem with Civil War too, but I think it's worse here. With the things we see Scarlet Witch do in the final battle she really shouldn't have had any trouble with the two henchmen who attack her early in the film. Dr. Strange has similar issues. Thor's whole arc in his last movie involved learning how to summon his power without his hammer, but he seems to have lost that ability again in this one. Loki, a previously formidable villain, tries to attack a very powerful opponent by summoning a single knife. Half an hour into this movie Thanos can already slice people up from a distance and turn anything he wants into bubbles, but for some reason he doesn't just automatically do this to everyone who comes within 100 yards of him and has to keep fist-fighting people. Etc etc.
SpoilerShow
• Various dramatic situations are repeated in the plot with no sense of irony or reflection; i.e., no indication that one circumstance is intentionally mirroring another. E.g., two different couples are pushed into scenarios where one has to kill the other. Star Lord tries in vain to stop Drax from rushing at Thanos and ruining their plan, then later in the movie everyone has to stop Star Lord from rushing at Thanos and ruining their plan.

• Peter Dinklage has yet another role here completely defined by his dwarfism. I'm not sure whether he chooses to take roles like this despite the fact that he could afford to be more discerning, or whether he doesn't actually have the clout it seems he should at this point and these are the only roles he gets offered, but either way it's kind of sad.

I saw it again and had the same questions but I figured...
SpoilerShow
- Thor loses Loki and reflects with Rocket that he now has no more living family left while on the verge of flat out crying. I took it that he was so emotionally beat he couldn't muster the strength to just summon his powers without a weapon and when he tells Rocket that anger and whatnot are prime motivators for revenge it was obviously facetious. He truly believed at that point he needed a new weapon because he knew just how powerful Thanos was not just then but what it would turn out to be if he acquired more of the stones.

- Strange says he only sees one outcome out of 14,000,106 that they win so perhaps he also took into account all possibilities in which he would have used the time stone to keep resetting things and none of those attempts would have made a difference.

- Scarlet Witch is a bit tricky because when she actually enters the field in a semi deus ex machina to help everyone she displays such power that she could have defended Vision and everyone else simultaneously, hopping back and forth. That is why I think Okoye's line: "what was she doing up there this whole time?" Actually made sense than just being a mere throwaway joke.

However earlier in the film when the Black Order attacks them in Scotland she doesn't display any coup de grace level of powers like in the Wakanda battle. So I would actually say that was the actual problematic fight scene in which the depowering of the characters was the messiest. They were ganging up on Vision so you'd assume she would use stronger power to save the love lf her life.

- Thanos only really enters a melee when on Titan because a) he didn't know Strange had company until the ambush happens and b) right off the bat they try and distract him from actually using the gauntlet by attempting to prevent him from closing his fist amidst a nonstop flurry of attacks. Made sense to me.

When he teleports to Wakanda no one actually really fought him. He made a beeline towards Vision and just broke through or waved away everyone's attacks towards him. He was displaying his demigod like presence at that point.

- as for Dinklage I'm really not trying to make excuses but at least for being cast as a dwarf character the twist in the MCU is that while Dwarves are proportional like actual little people in real life, they're actually giants.

Kirkinson

#42 Post by Kirkinson » Sat May 05, 2018 4:35 pm

I can buy a lot of that (and admittedly I would probably excuse more of these things if I had just enjoyed the film more).

MongooseCmr

#43 Post by MongooseCmr » Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am

I’ve been lukewarm at the very best on Marvel, only seeing the first Guardians Black Panther, and half of Spider-Man after the first Avengers, but I thoroughly enjoyed this. The mess of characters and plot lines that I figured would make me hate this actually save it for me. Most of these movies can only win me over for so long on personality alone, and by the end of the first action setpiece (South Korea in Black Panther, the trenches in Wonder Woman) I’ve generally had my fill. The stories themselves are never interesting enough to sustain two+ hours. The ability here to cut between a dozen characters in 3-5 groups stops it from ever losing traction for too long. It’s the same reason I liked X-men as a kid and still love One Piece as an adult: whenever the narrative sags just throw in more colorful skin deep characters.

RedLetterMedia made a joke in their Justice League commentary track that superhero movies should drop the pretense of telling a story and just be 40 minutes of action and jokes. 2 hours and 40 minutes is pushing it but that’s pretty much what I got here and I’m very satisfied with it.

Lost Highway

#44 Post by Lost Highway » Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am

tenia wrote:Thanks for the precision. My concern stems from some recent big budget movies in which I was surprised to see some very obvious CGI and what felt (IMO) like poor VFX work. Amongst them are The Last Jedi, Alien Covenant and Justice League. It's not something I remember seeing in such productions say 5 years ago, but rather the opposite. I still remain, for instance, extremely impressed by the VFX integration on Nolan's The Dark Knight.
But with these, including some recent Marvel movies, it feels like a step back to me, and I'm interested in seeing if this is indeed a true trend or just a few packed isolated cases.
There is ever more CGI demanded with shorter deadlines to meet and effects companies are forced to underbid each other to land the job. What happens is that a price is agreed on up-front but once post production gets underway, a studio demands a lot more more work than was agreed on. This is without the effects houses getting more money or more hours in the day. It all makes for horrible working conditions for the artists, rushed schedules resulting in some less than perfect work and it has recently lead to the demise of some highly regarded effects houses.

The most high profile was Rythm & Hues, who went into liquidation just as they had won the Oscar for Life of Pi. To add insult to injury, Ang Lee didn’t even thank them in his Oscar speech even though 90% of the imagery is CGI and then he whined about the high cost of special effects to the press after bleeding R&H dry.

movielocke

#45 Post by movielocke » Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 am

I really liked Inifinity war, but it probably helped that I filled in the movies I'd skipped (the thor trilogy and the last two captain america films), so this film provides a fairly clean continuous line from those.
SpoilerShow
I'm not bothered by the ending because of several reasons, mainly because it's obvious that this will all be reversed, like a certain Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

One, Strange clearly has a plan, and nothing we see seems to indicate the plan fell off, merely that Strange lied to his compatriots about what would happen, but his handing over of the time stone so easily and his final line to Stark indicate that everything has gone according to his plan up until that point.

Two, the Guardians group has a theme of repetition leading to failures, what with how attacking Thanos head on leads to inevitable failure: Drax attacks Thanos, spoiling the plan, StarLord attacks Thanos, spoiling the plan, and simultaneously, success in Thanos' death are set up as a false victories, Gamora kills Thanos (in a callback to the end of Thor Dark World), but it is only illusory and not permanent. In similar fashion, three of Thanos' henchmen are killed only by indirect environmental cause and effect, not frontal assaults: via explosive decompression, exploded in the Wakanda shield, or dismembered by the Dr. Strange portal, and the fourth was literally stabbed in the back rather than beaten head on. And going back to the first Guardians and another Thanos henchman, head on attacks against Ronan always failed, it was only StarLord's indirect scheme and teamwork that led to successfully disarming him and then using the infinity stone to inhume Ronan.

This suggests that the key to Strange's plot is that he discovered that direct assaults always fail, but indirect (possibly environmental) assaults can't be predicted or defended. Given that Thanos will gain the time stone in almost all of Strange's scenarios, Strange has to find a way that an indirect method works out for them. This is why he hands over the time stone for a totally meaningless concession (and directly contradicts what he told Stark earlier in the film). In other words, Strange figured out that the only way to defeat Thanos was to let him win.

Three, the final shot of the film is Thanos, returned to Titan, but he has turned on the illusion/reality infinity stone for himself, so he can sit and watch the sunset on his planet (as he described earlier in the film), but this does not reflect his reality, he chooses after winning to simply retire from the field into his own delusions, literally.

So this sets up a variety of possibilities, my favorite of which is that Thanos simply chooses not to win, in other words, he hates his boring new universe he created, and doesn't think sacrificing Gamora was worth it, so he decides to try to do without all the infinity stones, to risk failure "to court death" to quote the end of the first Avengers, thus, the beginning of the next film he decides to turn back time to before acquiring the Soul Stone, because it was too easy of a win and no fun or satisfaction in it.

This would also give Strange an out, he doesn't have to see a Thanos defeat, just a scenario where Thanos does not acquire all the stones.

Another possibility, suggested by the bit with the child Gamora in the reality/illusion infinity stone fog, suggests that perhaps in choosing to sacrifice Gamora, Thanos did not realize that Gamora would then be powering the "soul" stone, and she is the true keeper of the stone, thus, once she reorients herself, she's able to materialize a body, sieze the gauntlet and turn back time to undo Thanos' success.

In any event, I'm more curious how they write themselves out of this mess than anything else, should be a fun reveal.

movielocke

#46 Post by movielocke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:23 pm

A vox story on Captain Marvel becoming a Billion grosser today led me to this link:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchise ... engers.htm

which shows at the bottom, the cumulative worldwide ticket sales of the 21 Marvel films, and it is 18.5 Billion, which means they cross twenty billion with End Game. I knew the franchise was big, but I'd never wrapped my head around the cumulative global gross before, damn, and all in the last decade.

Finch

#47 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Pity the person who would pay over $1000 for an Avengers Endgame ticket because they can't wait for one or two more days

I mean, theaters are going to play this thing as often and on as many screens as possible per day as the three hour running time will permit.
Last edited by Finch on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile

#48 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Indiewire wrote:One user is selling four tickets for one of the first Thursday evening screenings of the film in Skokie, Illinois for $4,000, which averages to $1,250 a ticket.
The death of copy-editing never ceases to be an embarrassment.

movielocke

#49 Post by movielocke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:07 pm

Finch wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:44 pm
Pity the person who would pay over $1000 for an Avengers Endgame ticket because they can't wait for one or two more days

I mean, theaters are going to play this thing as often and on as many screens as possible per day as the three hour running time will permit.
Arclight Hollywood, currently has 25 showings on opening Friday, and probably more will be added if needed.

DarkImbecile

Re: Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame (Anthony & Joseph Russo, 2018/2019)

#50 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 pm