Brightburn (David Yarovesky, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Brightburn (David Yarovesky, 2019)

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am

I had not heard of Brightburn before this trailer dropped, but I have to admit I’m intrigued by the “what if Superman was evil?” premise.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am

I’ve absolutely had my fill of “Creepy child stalks/kills adults” horror movies for several lifetimes, though I guess death by motion blur as presented in this trailer is efficient

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:56 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am
I had not heard of Brightburn before this trailer dropped, but I have to admit I’m intrigued by the “what if Superman was evil?” premise.
I'm sorry you haven't seen Superman III

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 pm

I just read the Wikipedia plot description for Superman III and I can’t believe that’s a real movie

Forrest Taft

#5 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Evil Supe armed with peanuts is every bartenders worst nightmare. Richard Lester taught us that.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#6 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:05 pm

swo17 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:56 am
DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am
I'm sorry you haven't seen Superman III
I’m not.

You guys are laughing now, but when I report back in a few months that this is slightly above-average summer schlock and you’ve missed your chance to see it in theaters, who’ll be laughing then, huh?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 pm
I just read the Wikipedia plot description for Superman III and I can’t believe that’s a real movie
The description had me at "psychic nutritionist".
Best Evil Villain Scheme To Rule The World though : "After Superman prevents him from taking over the world's coffee supply, Ross is determined to destroy Superman before he can stop his plan to control the world's oil supply"

Finch

Re: Brightburn (David Yarovesky, 2019)

#8 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Considering he hasn't directed or even written the film, they're pushing James Gunn's involvement a bit too much in the trailer.

knives

#9 Post by knives » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
It's also easily the best Superman movie.

Big Ben

#10 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Well it actually gets worse because Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is a thing.

In regards to the film itself I think it'll be interesting to see if it's any good because I think we're do for a film about a Super Villain right about now. Not the Anti-Hero escapades of say Deadpool but a balls to the wall bad guy flick. Calling it now though, the film peters out in the last act and he's not that evil.

colinr0380

#11 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:23 am

knives wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 pm
domino harvey wrote:
It's also easily the best Superman movie.
Seconded, although the surprisingly brutal creation of the robot at the end traumatised my childhood a little!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#12 Post by cdnchris » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:14 pm

Yes, that, and then the melting guy in RoboCop later, fucked me up good.

CSM126

#13 Post by CSM126 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:03 pm

I found this to be a largely entertaining flick that’s nearly undone by its own score. Every scary moment is assaulted by the Inception noise, and it almost never works. It was especially bad near the end when
SpoilerShow
the boy takes his mom for a nighttime flight in the clouds ala Superman and Lois Lane, only to turn around and drop her so she can plummet to her death.
It’s a creepy moment until someone starts spamming that Inception noise button. DURRRRR. DURRRRR. DURRRRR. DURRRR. Over and over.

There is fun to be had though, so long as you’re into gore gags. There are some shockingly nasty bits that were so gruesome it was almost funny.
SpoilerShow
At one point the boy smashes his uncle in a car crash and just when you think the uncle is dead he wakes up, only to have the lower half of his face fall off, which he desperately tries to force back into place! I was not expecting anything like that but it sure was amazing to watch. The guy basically got Dr. Tongue’d.
The narrative is a little sloppy (one victim never gets to have a conclusion to their arc, although the filmmakers claim it was filmed but cut as an alternate ending), but this isn’t one you watch for story. This is just fun watching superboy run amok with heat vision and super strength and whatnot. Not one you need to rush to the theater for (unless you want to get that Inception noise in 5.1 surround sound glory), but a fun Netflix rental for sure. And if you’re a Gunn fan, there’s a neat Easter egg to watch for:
SpoilerShow
The end credits start over an Alex Jones type conspiracy nut ranting about supernatural beings attacking earth, including evil superboy of course. One of the other ones is The Crimson Bolt from Gunn’s Super. They’ll almost certainly never make a crossover movie, but it probably would be fun if they did.

moreorless

#14 Post by moreorless » Tue May 28, 2019 3:29 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am
I’ve absolutely had my fill of “Creepy child stalks/kills adults” horror movies for several lifetimes, though I guess death by motion blur as presented in this trailer is efficient
Yes I'd tend to agree, when I first heard the concept it seemed potentially interesting but the trailer makes this look rather clichéd and uninteresting.

I mean I'm not sure I'd consider it great cinema but Chronicle from 2012 already covered a similar kind of subject and looks like it has rather more substance to it.