Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Fiery Angel

Re: Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018)

#26 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:57 am

The U.K. Blu-ray comes out in March.

longstone

#27 Post by longstone » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 am

I am a Kore-eda fan anyway but I really enjoyed this . Managed to catch a screening at a local theatre that doubles as a cinema from time to time. I think it deserves all the praise, the acting was superb especially Ando Sakura, it sort of works as a Kore-eda best of, revisiting themes and motifs from a number of his previous films. There are still a few screenings dotted around the U.K. to catch if you get the chance.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#28 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:32 pm

After three aborted film festival attempts to catch this film, I finally caught it today (in a very fine theatrical setting) and find myself in agreement with most everyone else. Shoplifters is a quiet masterpiece of humane filmmaking that economically and surgically cuts away at your defenses until you're entirely emotionally exposed to its characters and story. Rather than overwhelming a viewer with a climactic emotional tidal wave, Kore-eda deploys a steady stream of small but deeply touching moments to similarly powerful effect, like the steady lapping of waves eroding a beach from under your feet as the tide comes in.

All of the core performances are very fine — including the two children, which is a key factor in the film working as well as it does — but as longstone says above, Sakura Ando is frankly amazing as Nobuyo, the "mother" of this ramshackle family. I can think of five scenes off the top of my head where she delivers a crushing smile, casual gesture, meaningful glance, or tearful nod that elevates the film to a transcendentally touching level, as well as one line delivery that seems relatively innocuous until much later:
SpoilerShow
When her boss forces Nobuyo into negotiating with her coworker which of them will lose her job, the coworker blackmails her by revealing that she knows Nobuyo has Juri. Seemingly shocked, she agrees that the other woman will keep the job, then says as the woman walks by her: "If you tell, I'll kill you." This at first appears to be an understandable maternal defensiveness, but when it is revealed that she killed (or at least helped kill) her previous partner, it takes on a new cast.
Per the earlier discussion in this thread, I can absolutely see why this would be a provocation to those holding more conservative views of family and social responsibility: a band of petty criminals more adequately filling a parental/familial role than birth parents undermines a traditionalist view of one of the fundamental pillars of Japanese society. This film also absolutely highlights the problems around work culture and exploitative practices in Japan, which as I understand it is another major sore spot.

About that last shot:
SpoilerShow
While this is, as previously noted, a very dark film for Kore-eda, and there's certainly nothing explicitly reassuring about what plays out for these characters and Juri in particular, I found the final shot of her playing, singing, and looking over the railing of her balcony hopeful in a small but extremely meaningful way. Even if there's no one on the other side of the barrier to provide the comfort of a familiar face or the promise of escape to a better life, she's still looking for something better, having been exposed to another life outside of the one she had known before Shota and Osamu stumbled into it. She's better off for her time with her "chosen" family, and her future holds more promise than it once had because of it.
Another great film in a year with plenty of them already.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#29 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Lovely appreciation, DI!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#30 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 am

I thoroughly second DI's appreciation of the movie, which echoes quite well my feelings. It's all done in small brushes, often very sweet but very bitter sometimes too. It's investigating in a fascinating way the familial group dynamics in a family that isnt one and whose members' original families often weren't offering. In this regard, it reminded me of Like Father Like Son which also examines symbolic family relationships : how can / can people not related with blood find deeper more meaningful relationships than with unrelated people ?

It's also fascinating in the way it paints these in a complex manner. While all characters respect and care for each other, it's not always that easy, but they still show attention. Sometimes it seems interested, sometimes it doesnt, and this helps providing additionnal characterizations to the cast.

I however felt the movie a bit overlong in its last half hour, which is the only downside I found to the movie.

Small disagreement with DI : I took the ending as a bit less hopeful than he did, though it seemed indeed as a look towards positive expectations.

ballmouse

#31 Post by ballmouse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I just saw that this has been playing at IFC in NY since November. Has anyone watched it there? Never been to IFC, but I'm thinking of dropping in during the middle of next week.

Finch

#32 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm a huge Kore-eda fan and I found Shoplifters very good if about 15 or so minutes too long. The last ten minutes felt a bit like a tacked on coda but I also concede that without them, the film might have felt like a complete downer and I appreciate that it gives you at least a bit of hope. I need to see it a few more times to see how it stacks up against Still Walking, Afterlife and After the Storm but it's a very respectable B+ right now.

dadaistnun

#33 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 am

This was my first Kore-eda and I absolutely loved it. Someone upthread mentioned that they couldn't help but wonder what would happen to these characters years later, and I can't think of a better compliment. As heartbreaking as this movie is in many respects, I still was left with a sense of warmth/humanity on an individual if not societal level (but I suppose that's part of the point, that one can depend more on those you choose to surround yourself with than the ones society/tradition/blood foist upon you).

Performance were all wonderful. The only actor I was familiar with beforehand was Sakura Ando and she was the standout for me as well. She's great in the "Brother and Sister Bear" chapter of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Penance.
DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:32 pm
All of the core performances are very fine — including the two children, which is a key factor in the film working as well as it does — but as longstone says above, Sakura Ando is frankly amazing as Nobuyo, the "mother" of this ramshackle family. I can think of five scenes off the top of my head where she delivers a crushing smile, casual gesture, meaningful glance, or tearful nod that elevates the film to a transcendentally touching level, as well as one line delivery that seems relatively innocuous until much later:
SpoilerShow
When her boss forces Nobuyo into negotiating with her coworker which of them will lose her job, the coworker blackmails her by revealing that she knows Nobuyo has Juri. Seemingly shocked, she agrees that the other woman will keep the job, then says as the woman walks by her: "If you tell, I'll kill you." This at first appears to be an understandable maternal defensiveness, but when it is revealed that she killed (or at least helped kill) her previous partner, it takes on a new cast.
SpoilerShow
I noticed this, too. It's particularly memorable as the scene with the coworker is the first time an actor faces the camera directly, addressing the other character/the viewer. It's the first bit of camera placement that calls attention to itself and doesn't happen again until the police interrogation scenes later.
I agree about the possibility of hope in that final shot.
SpoilerShow
Now that Juri know such a better life can exist, perhaps she can make it for herself. In the moment, however, and as the credits began, I was just overwhelmed with sadness at her current situation and her knowledge that things don't have to be that way.
Really looking forward to exploring Kore-eda's filmography. After the Storm is currently streaming on Amazon, so that's probably my next stop.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#34 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:42 pm

At the end, the little sister KNOWS there can be such a thing as happiness in the world -- which leaves her far better off than when we first saw her. ;-)

BenoitRouilly

#35 Post by BenoitRouilly » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:27 pm

SpoilerShow
But is that how react abused children? The scar, especially at such a young age, could be irreversible for all we know. Her demeanor with her adopted family (being very calm and quiet, barely ever happy, unlike children of her age who could be overexcited, bouncing around, screaming, begging...) is tamed and already introverted, probably because of the blows, the love-hate relationship with her mother and the way her mother used to beat her up after buying her clothes...)

FrauBlucher

#36 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat May 21, 2022 1:23 pm

I've been on a Kore-eda journey lately. I'm surprised to see that this highly praised and rewarded film hasn't been released on bluray in the States. Anyone know reason why? I'm hoping maybe that's an indication that Criterion has it and will release it within the next decade. :lol: :cry:

Finch

#37 Post by Finch » Sat May 21, 2022 1:47 pm

Magnolia released a US DVD and presumably they thought the commercial prospects did not justify a Blu-Ray. The UK Thunderbird Releasing Blu-Ray seems to be the only English-friendly Blu-Ray because the German, French and Japanese discs are all native language and subs only, and only the Japanese Special Edition has a lot of extra content though the French release reportedly has a brief exclusive interview with Kore-eda. It's four years since the Cannes premiere, so Magnolia may be open to license it out to Criterion (I don't know who else would be interested among the US boutique labels, sadly, outside of Film Movement). It'd certainly complement Still Walking nicely, and they could port over the most interesting material from the Japanese disc.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#38 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 21, 2022 2:59 pm

Very frustrating how more than a few important films (from Japan and elsewhere) get DVD-only US releases.

FrauBlucher

#39 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Unfortunately, I don't believe Magnolia has licensed out to Criterion. Maybe Kore-eda can force the issue. His canon would seem like a Criterion no-brainer

ryannichols7

#40 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:09 pm

this was the nail in the coffin for me on Magnolia. how can they even say a Palme winner and Oscar nominee wasn't justifiable to release on bluray? I'm thrilled Koreeda's new film ended up with Neon, while I still have some issues with them, at least they (generally) get their movies out there, and onto a disc release too. meanwhile Magnolia has never licensed to another label. here's hoping Shoplifters could change their tune and Criterion will go for it, but I tend to think they'll get to Nobody Knows first.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#41 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 21, 2022 6:00 pm

Alas, still no subbed releases at all of any of Kore'eda's documentaries (and not even unsubbed DVDs of his early documentaries).

Magnolia's release of only a DVD version of Shoplifters still mystifies me -- and lost them a sale (as I went for the UK Blu).

ryannichols7

#42 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:29 pm

I believe Kore-eda has requested his documentaries not be available. but I could be mistaken on that one

Magnolia really doesn't care about the home video market and they've kinda showed that previously. Koreeda's previous films (post Still Walking) have all received similar non-releases I believe

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#43 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat May 21, 2022 7:35 pm

I thought the early documentaries were under the control of TV Man Union rather than Kore'eda (and assumed that this was the issue -- in one way or another).

DeprongMori

#44 Post by DeprongMori » Sun May 22, 2022 1:15 am

I have heard directly from people who have worked directly with Kore-eda that he does not want his early documentary work released. I didn’t hear why, but gathered that he doesn’t think very highly of it.

vsski

#45 Post by vsski » Sun May 22, 2022 6:43 am

While I don’t know the reasons for his documentaries not being on disc, this reminded me of an interview he gave a long time ago talking about his evolution from assistant director to documentary filmmaker to fiction films. It was made at the time of After Life and is fairly lengthy talking primarily about his documentary work. I certainly don’t get the impression from it that he would not want his old documentary work to be seen again, but of course it was a long time ago and people change: https://www.yidff.jp/docbox/13/box13-1-e.html