Climax

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Big Ben

Climax

#1 Post by Big Ben » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Lost Highway

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#2 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm

dda1996a

#3 Post by dda1996a » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Which considering how outre his comfort zone is I'm not too worried. I just hope the actual characters/story will match his filmmaking skill

Werewolf by Night

#4 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:55 pm

That reminds me of my experience watching Irreversible. The first time I saw it, it was without subtitles*. I thought it was a great movie. The second time, I watched it with subtitles and thought it was absolutely a dog of a movie (that happened to have some cool camera tricks). The dialogue is just atrocious. I haven't bothered to watch a Noe film since.

*I understand French pretty okay, but it requires me much more effort to comprehend it spoken than it does to read subtitles, and I am lazy.

Lost Highway

#5 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm

dda1996a wrote:Which considering how outre his comfort zone is I'm not too worried. I just hope the actual characters/story will match his filmmaking skill
That’s exactly my problem with his films, his themes and characters are banal to say the least.

colinr0380

Re: Psyché (Gaspar Noé, 2019)

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:40 pm

I kind of liked Love which at least felt as if it had an actual central character (even if he was a self-obsessed idiot, which is not really much of a surprise in Noé's films) compared to the utterly empty black hole at the centre of Enter The Void.

thirtyframesasecond

#7 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 am

The only thing I remember about Enter the Void was Kanye West ripping off the credits for All of the Lights (and just about avoiding a seizure).

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:37 am

And at one point the spirit of the main character appearing to inhabit the stripper pole that his sister was using!
SpoilerShow
Along with both her Japanese club owner boyfriend (whose unborn child he 'helps' abort) and the drug dealer French friend who we have seen on the run from the police and eating from the rubbish at certain points and who is obviously the correct partner for the sister, and who is able to replace the aborted baby with the reincarnation of the brother!

I am open to that aspect of Enter The Void being entirely intentional, especially when it is placed in context with the reincarnation philosophy espoused by the French friend in the opening scenes of the film (that people who cannot learn to let go get, willingly, trapped in a reincarnation cycle until they come to some form of an epiphany about their existence. We then follow someone resoundingly refusing to have an epiphany even after they have gone through their entire life history, from many layers of perspective, with a fine toothcomb!), but it is a bit aggravating!

Yet Noé has never really had a sympathetic male protagonist in any of his films, just many different shades of self-obsessed a-holes ruining their relationships and the world around them! He's certainly the master of that character type! And that all seems entwined with a strange sense of self-revelation that seems to be allowed to be read into the films where there is often the suggestion that Noé is really talking about himself at some points. His films often feel solipsistic and dealing with frustratingly blinkered protagonists who have terrible flaws that they never confront (flaws which actually drive them for the most part), instead retreating into their self-comforting fantasies about other people and places that they then layer onto their perception of the wider world, but what often pulls the films back for me as a viewer (particularly Love, which has been growing on me with a couple more viewings) is that this world full of fantasies (sexual and otherwise) is mixed in with a hefty dose of masochistic self-laceration.

Plus whilst the sweaty, overweight, middle-aged ranting racist and misogynist (every -ist!) figure of Seul Contre Tous is easy to be completely be repulsed by (in retrospect that was Noé's most easily graspable character!*), that character seems entirely in the same vein as these more recent, younger and more superficially 'attractive' leading men, which seems to complicate some of an audience's approach to the material in some ways. They're acting out a lot of fantasies but with all of the same flaws seething around them at the same time. It would seem difficult to imagine any viewer ever wanting to entirely sympathise with, or even wish to be in the shoes of the protagonist of any of these films, even whilst they are watching characters acting out some of their deepest desires as part of some kind of compulsive drive that they cannot stop from enacting.

(*Plus it is also rather interestingly depressing in that it makes it difficult to say that the character in Seul Contre Tous is part of that easily dismissable 'unenlightened' older 1970s generation and that we have all 'moved on' as a culture since that point into a different era when all of his younger generation leading men seem to be nascent versions of that fully expressed middle aged ranter! Whether that is Noé wanting to suggest that there is something inherent in masculinity itself (which would be problematic if it is the case), or whether it is more that Noé is trapped in a certain nostalgic era involving the 1970s and early 1980s culture and his own perspective on himself as a young man of that age, and is working through those ideas in his films rather than anything more widely applicable than that, is perhaps open to debate!)

Psyché sounds like it would be in the same vein but also something that I would be very excited to see. If Enter The Void was a drug-induced vision of purgatory, I am hoping that Noé's drug induced vision of Hell would be something like Jigoku or in the vein of Pasolini!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Climax (Gaspar Noé, 2018)

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 pm

It's now called Climax.

Presented without comment.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Climax (Gaspar Noé, 2018)

#10 Post by swo17 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:47 pm

More accurate for me:
You never heard about I Stand Alone
You gave Irreversible a chance
You begrudgingly watched Enter the Void
You skipped Love
I like his wife's films though!

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#11 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 12, 2018 3:52 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 12, 2018 4:10 pm

I don't even get this poster. No one who actually hated that many films by a director would watch another, so the only way to read this is as self important faux deprecation meant to make those who like Noe to smugly think themselves above the rest. How odious and, more importantly, pathetic

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Honestly, it was more "you fell asleep in Enter The Void, at least until the suspiciously well placed blaring car crash woke you up for the climax"

So is this an additional film to Psyché? This is making it seem as if Noé has made a Terrence Malick-style shift into an increased production rate! (EDIT: It sounds from the description that it is the same film, with a title change)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cde.

#14 Post by Cde. » Sun May 13, 2018 3:01 am

colinr0380 wrote:Honestly, it was more "you fell asleep in Enter The Void, at least until the suspiciously well placed blaring car crash woke you up for the climax"
Haha, same.

Lost Highway

#15 Post by Lost Highway » Sun May 13, 2018 3:25 am

Enter the Void is the closest I’ve come to liking one of his films, even if it is as dumb as a brick. The true artist behind is films is Benoît Debie, the movie looks like nothing else I’ve seen. I‘ve never managed to get through the even longer cut released on blu-ray.

cantinflas

#16 Post by cantinflas » Sun May 13, 2018 4:41 am

Cde.

#17 Post by Cde. » Sun May 13, 2018 6:33 am

This is, somewhat surprisingly, getting fantastic reviews.

colinr0380

#18 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:17 am

"Blood, Snow...and Fire"

That teaser looks great, reminiscent of a school disco gone horribly wrong after someone spikes the sangria. In a good way, for the audience if not the characters! I'm also hopeful that what looks seems to be a more limited, isolated setting (almost like one of the party scenes from Irreversible or Love expanded out to a feature?) might push the work into different claustrophobic horror territory.

thirtyframesasecond

#19 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 am

You probably could've just stopped Enter the Void once the opening credits finished (which are amazing).

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#20 Post by Omensetter » Sun May 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Beautiful people in well-choreographed routines to Aphex Twin and "Supernature" is probably all I ask of cinema ultimately. I am a simple person who will see this movie.

Loved this quotation from Robbie Collin: "Salò meets Gold Diggers of 1933."

Lost Highway

#21 Post by Lost Highway » Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Omensetter wrote:Beautiful people in well-choreographed routines to Aphex Twin and "Supernature" is probably all I ask of cinema ultimately. I am a simple person who will see this movie.

Loved this quotation from Robbie Collin: "Salò meets Gold Diggers of 1933."
I must admit, that does sound intriguing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#22 Post by tenia » Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Lost Highway wrote:Enter the Void is the closest I’ve come to liking one of his films, even if it is as dumb as a brick. The true artist behind is films is Benoît Debie, the movie looks like nothing else I’ve seen. I‘ve never managed to get through the even longer cut released on blu-ray.
IIRC, the theatrical cut is already the longer cut. The BD offers a shorter cut where a whole reel is removed.

Lost Highway

#23 Post by Lost Highway » Sun May 13, 2018 2:15 pm

tenia wrote:
Lost Highway wrote:Enter the Void is the closest I’ve come to liking one of his films, even if it is as dumb as a brick. The true artist behind is films is Benoît Debie, the movie looks like nothing else I’ve seen. I‘ve never managed to get through the even longer cut released on blu-ray.
IIRC, the theatrical cut is already the longer cut. The BD offers a shorter cut where a whole reel is removed.
In the UK, where I lived at the time, they released the shorter cut and the same was the case in the US. The German blu-ray which I own, only includes the longer cut with the waking up at the morgue scene, an orgy and a few other bits and bobs. I believe the US blu-ray is the same, I had it and sold it when I got the German release. It‘s about 20 minutes longer than the cut I saw at the cinema.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#24 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Wow, seeing that multiple critics are calling this their favorite of the festival. Went from totally exhausted with Noé's bullshit to extremely eager to see this.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#25 Post by tenia » Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Lost Highway wrote:
tenia wrote:
In the UK, where I lived at the time, they released the shorter cut and the same was the case in the US. The German blu-ray which I own, only includes the longer cut with the waking up at the morgue scene, an orgy and a few other bits and bobs. I believe the US blu-ray is the same, I had it and sold it when I got the German release. It‘s about 20 minutes longer than the cut I saw at the cinema.
Oh OK, I remembered it wrong then and thought the shorter cut was created later since in France, we only got the longer version theatrically.
Last edited by tenia on Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.