The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
TheDudeAbides
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Toronto

The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#1 Post by TheDudeAbides » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Looks like Refn's latest film has been renamed from I Walk With the Dead to The Neon Demon. Still supposedly an (almost) all female cast. Production is set to begin in May:

AV Club
Last edited by TheDudeAbides on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: I Walk with the Dead (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2015)

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Horror seems like a logical step after Only God Forgives.

User avatar
TheDudeAbides
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: I Walk with the Dead (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2015)

#3 Post by TheDudeAbides » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:49 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Horror seems like a logical step after Only God Forgives.
Yeah I definitely agree, it was already walking the line of becoming a horror film.

I for one am excited for this film. Refn and Carey Mulligan reunited for an LA shot horror, hopefully this will be more like Drive and less like Only God Forgives

Movie-Brat
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 am

Re: I Walk with the Dead (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2015)

#4 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:14 pm

One ticket please. :)

User avatar
TheDudeAbides
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#5 Post by TheDudeAbides » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:29 am

Looks like Keanu Reeves and Christina Hendricks have joined the cast of The Neon Demon, a horror film which will be about "a group of vicious and maniacal models".

Variety

AV Club

User avatar
John Cope
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: where the simulacrum is true

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#6 Post by John Cope » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Image

With special appearances by Kip Pardue as Victor and Andrew McCarthy as Clay.

User avatar
tenia
Posts: 3463
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#7 Post by tenia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 am

John Cope wrote:With special appearances by Kip Pardue as Victor and Andrew McCarthy as Clay.
Is it linked to Bret Easton Ellis' body of work somehow ?

User avatar
John Cope
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: where the simulacrum is true

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#8 Post by John Cope » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:25 pm

tenia wrote:
John Cope wrote:With special appearances by Kip Pardue as Victor and Andrew McCarthy as Clay.
Is it linked to Bret Easton Ellis' body of work somehow ?
Well, the poster art and the capsule summary at least would seem to suggest so.


User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#10 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:44 pm


User avatar
Luke M
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#11 Post by Luke M » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:26 pm

I like it. Nice to see Desmond Harrington (Quinn from Dexter) in something substantial. I'm also getting the vibe that Elle Fanning may be Elizabeth Olson to Dakota Fanning's Mary-Kate and Ashley.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#12 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:02 pm

He was on one episode of Justified and was pretty good in that. I remember almost nothing good from his run on Dexter, but I won't put that on his feet as much as I would anyone else for the problems with that show.

User avatar
Luke M
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#13 Post by Luke M » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:He was on one episode of Justified and was pretty good in that. I remember almost nothing good from his run on Dexter, but I won't put that on his feet as much as I would anyone else for the problems with that show.
Yeah, he wasn't too memorable but I had the notion he was a decent actor and given the right material he could deliver something special.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#14 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:42 am

In the Justified ep he managed to invoke Tom Cruise in Collateral and Billy Drago in The Untouchables if memory serves me correctly. One of the pleasures of that show was just how much mileage they could get out of people with comparatively not much screen time compared to everyone else.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Posts: 11705
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:15 pm

When I get a text from LQ about how hot a trailer is, I don't think it matters what I think - I'll be seeing it regardless. But I think it looks pretty good, if a little ridiculous. I can deal with a new Black Swan arriving on the scene every 5-10 years.

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Posts: 8613
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#16 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:23 pm

It looks closer to Under the Skin for me though the Black Swan comparisons are certainly apt. I figured Refn would have gone for something more gory and almost trashy considering some of his more grindhouse influences. I'm glad that instinct was proven wrong, this looks great.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28499
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#17 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:27 pm

Luke M wrote:I'm also getting the vibe that Elle Fanning may be Elizabeth Olson to Dakota Fanning's Mary-Kate and Ashley.
You're a little late to the party, Elle Fanning's been doing amazing work for years. Dakota Fanning not so much

User avatar
knives
Posts: 13963
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#18 Post by knives » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Night Moves was pretty swell.

User avatar
Luke M
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#19 Post by Luke M » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Luke M wrote:I'm also getting the vibe that Elle Fanning may be Elizabeth Olson to Dakota Fanning's Mary-Kate and Ashley.
You're a little late to the party, Elle Fanning's been doing amazing work for years. Dakota Fanning not so much
Ah, I hadn't seen her in anything aside from Super 8 and Maleficent. Good to hear.

refnfan
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#20 Post by refnfan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Luke M wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:He was on one episode of Justified and was pretty good in that. I remember almost nothing good from his run on Dexter, but I won't put that on his feet as much as I would anyone else for the problems with that show.
Yeah, he wasn't too memorable but I had the notion he was a decent actor and given the right material he could deliver something special.
I though he was pretty good on Dexter but the script was developed inconsistently. I also saw him on Justified and he rocked in that role. His casting is actually a surprisingly good one, somehow he makes sense to me in a Refn movie.

User avatar
Lemmy Caution
Posts: 2415
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:26 am
Location: East of Shanghai

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#21 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Luke M wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Luke M wrote:I'm also getting the vibe that Elle Fanning may be Elizabeth Olson to Dakota Fanning's Mary-Kate and Ashley.
You're a little late to the party, Elle Fanning's been doing amazing work for years. Dakota Fanning not so much
Ah, I hadn't seen her in anything aside from Super 8 and Maleficent. Good to hear.
She was pretty terrific in Ginger & Rosa.

User avatar
Trees
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#22 Post by Trees » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:24 pm

This is definitely in my top 3 films I want to see at Cannes. I really liked Elle in Somewhere.

User avatar
Trees
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#23 Post by Trees » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 am

Neon Demon has nice style, but is lacking in substance. I prefer both Drive and Only God Forgives over Demon. I appreciated Refn's use of music as always, and some of the glittery visuals were top tier, but the final act was not well executed, in my opinion. I give it maybe 7/10, max. Would not recommend to casual viewers.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Posts: 28499
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#24 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:06 am

This film has less substance than the last two Refn films? How is that possible?

User avatar
Luke M
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2016)

#25 Post by Luke M » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 pm

I enjoyed it. It's a film, the more I reflect on, the more I appreciate. I read one critic call it the most Nicolas Winding Refn-ian film yet. I agree and I don't think that's a knock on the film. Typically when directors are free to indulge the results are at best underwhelming (see PTA post-TWBB and Malick post-New World). But here I'm kinda digging what Refn is trying to do. I think the film works including the somewhat jarring final act. His ambitions here aren't nearly as lofty as the aforementioned directors (yet he still gets the pretentious label thrown at him). The Neon Demon is a simple story with hyper-stylized visuals. To steal the title of one of Kanye's best albums, it's a beautiful dark twisted fantasy.

Post Reply