Stephen King on TV

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Stephen King on TV

#1 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:46 am
JJ Abrams-produced Castle Rock coming to Hulu, believed to be anthology series of King adaptations
Trailer-- not sure why there's a reference to IT since that takes place in Derry, not Castle Rock

Lost Highway

Re: Stephen King on Film

#2 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 am

I finished Castle Rock last night and thought it was awful. By episode 3 I was tempted to give up and I wished I had. This could have been much more of a horror show, but it goes for prestige supernatural drama. That would have been fine had characterisation and plotting been better.

What attracted a top notch cast to the material ? Hey Sissy, you get to do dementia, it won Emanuelle Riva a ton of awards ! Why is Jackie Torrance even billed as a main character ? With one clumsy exception she contributes nothing to the plot, she just sort of shows up in scenes with no purpose. The Stephen King allusions and homages never amount to much, the show could have been the same without that hook. The big reveal in episode 9 is a total let down and the wrap up in episode 10 made me want to throw my TV out of the window. This attempts to be classy but I’d rather watched a show where Carrie dukes it out with Pennywise at the Overlook (in all fairness, the post-credit epilogue hints at that).

The show runner/writers of this show should have a close look at the German Netflix show Dark, to which Castle Rock bears a close resemblance, to see how this type of thing is done.

Murdoch

#3 Post by Murdoch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:42 am

I didn't make it far into Castle Rock, I think I quit after two episodes. I've never been a fan of King adaptations that veer more toward supernatural elements than straight horror and this was no exception (it didn't help that the King references seemed there merely as a hook). Here's hoping with the uptick in anthology series that someone will be get around to just running through adapting his short stories.

barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy

#4 Post by barryconvex » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Lost Highway wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 am
The show runner/writers of this show should have a close look at the German Netflix show Dark, to which Castle Rock bears a close resemblance, to see how this type of thing is done.
I just finished watching Dark-absolutely fantastic. I keep waiting for someone to tackle my all time favorite King story-Survivor Type-(from either Skeleton Crew or Night Shift, i forget which) but so far no one has. The story of a crooked doctor marooned on a desert island with a huge stash of heroin would've fit perfectly into any of the 80s King anthology films. Although after seeing my second favorite tale, Quitters Inc. lifelessly adapted in Cat's Eye (despite James Woods' best efforts) perhaps i should be happy it hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:05 pm

barryconvex wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:20 pm
I keep waiting for someone to tackle my all time favorite King story-Survivor Type-(from either Skeleton Crew or Night Shift, i forget which) but so far no one has.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2bjhdTS0eY

lady fingers they taste just like lady fingers

Persona

The Dark Tower TV (Amazon)

#7 Post by Persona » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:48 pm

We're starting with Roland's backstory when he was a "kid" (Sam Strike is 25) and the Marten/Walter/Randall Flagg/Man in Black seduces his mom, with maybe some of the stuff from Wizard and Glass, too. Jasper Paakonen is inspired casting for Marten. I am certifiably excited.

http://collider.com/the-dark-tower-tv-s ... st-amazon/

Big Ben

Re: Stephen King on TV

#8 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm hoping that a more drawn out approach will work better than whatever the heck the Dark Tower film with Idris Elba was. With some effort I hope they can cover the whole gamut of King's characters in this series including The Crimson King and Dandelo. This could be a lot of fun if done right but because I've seen it go wrong I can only say I'm cautiously optimistic right now.