The Films of 2014

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

Re: The Films of 2014

#26 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 pm

I saw John Favreau's Chef last night, and thought it was a fun little movie. Like most Favreau that I've seen, it's not terribly inventive, and it's not going to blow your mind, but it's well put together combination of stories you've seen dozens of times before- A bit ironic, considering
SpoilerShow
the first part of the movie revolves around Favreau's character getting a terrible review for creating "safe" food instead of following his own inherent creativity. If you've seen the trailer, you know the basic thrusts of the story- a restaurant chef loses his job and needs to start over in a food truck- but Favreau also includes a by-the-books "Father learning to spend time with his son" story (though rather than the typical "Father decides family is more important than work" story, Favreau adds a bit of a twist by making work the place where the father and son bond.) Some of the films most interesting moments stem from the ways small businesses can use and are used by social media, and although Favreau never wades too deeply into the subject, there's a certain charm to seeing a middle aged man learning to navigate social media in a way that I wouldn't be surprised to find out is a bit autobiographical. The film does feature a few missteps (most notably the forced fight between Favreau and his son when the latter refuses to clean a tray of rotting food, and the film could have done without the epilogue that wraps everything up a bit too neatly) but on the whole I found it quite enjoyable. It would have been the perfect movie to bring my parents to.

warren oates

#27 Post by warren oates » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:18 pm

Caught The Rover yesterday and enjoyed it more than I expected to. A very solid sophomore effort from David Michôd that resists easy classification. It's a ground level view of a dystopian future, a minimalist landscape film, an outback road movie, a modern day Western both more subtle and intriguing than many more obvious attempts at such and a quite literal
SpoilerShow
shaggy dog tale
whose MacGuffin we almost forget about by the time it matters again. Guy Pearce injects a real humanity into the long silences between his ruthless actions and few words about them with a mannered performance that's clearly referencing icons like the Man With No Name. Robert Pattinson, as a halfwit, is a pretty great Lennie-esque sidekick without quite going
SpoilerShow
"full retard."
My favorite aspect of the whole, though, is the steadfast Western-ness of the narrative. In spite of the near future setting and total lack of horses, I haven't seen a film whose unfolding story feels this much like a Budd Boetticher Western since, well, I first saw all those great Boetticher films in the early aughts.

Thoroughly disliked Night Moves, which in principle and concept I ought to love. The idea is great, the cast is great, especially Dakota Fanning, who delivers the best and most layered performance. But the writer/director's storytelling from moment to moment, the whys and the whats and the hows of the action are mostly just mindnumbingly dumb. At one point near the end, two of the main characters talking on the phone to each other remark, "You know, we really shouldn't be talking on the phone." You think? This is long after we see them tell us exactly how not to procure a certain item for their endeavors, only to turn around the next scene and do almost point for point precisely what they just told us no one should ever do. And this doesn't create suspense so much as head-scratching contempt for the characters who we wish would be clever and resourceful instead. Of the big moment the film is building toward:
SpoilerShow
I don't think I've ever seen a ticking bomb scene with such an absolute absence of the intended tension.
Even worse is the flailing late turn into
SpoilerShow
horror territory, wherein, I kid you not, Jesse Eisenberg becomes a deadly stalker.
The film ends with the same sloppy irresolution it has confused with ambiguity and subtlety all along. I heard the director on NPR talking about how, for her, this was an action movie, but that she was interested in the tiny, quiet actions, the little moments and in her characters' choices. Hmm. Okay, then, how about giving them smart, interesting, compelling things to do?

Really didn't like Edge of Tomorrow, which I've seen on a few best-of lists around here. I wonder if it's because none of those fans of the film had read the much earlier better drafts of the script or the novel it was based on? Perhaps in spite of all the bad changes the director Doug Liman (in his best film since Bourne, but that's not saying much) and star Tom Cruise wrought it was still good enough for you, as it was for the audience I saw it with -- at least for the first 45 minutes. After which the whole suffers from lame attempts to "open up" the story, a few weird second act dead ends (signaling rewrites/reshoots?) and a bloated overlong and unimaginative climax with the oddest location of all time --
SpoilerShow
our call sheet tomorrow says Louvre, parking garage... Paris, woo-hoo!
All the mumbo jumbo about what's happening and why seems even more torturous in this incarnation of the story. And the basic commitment to military scif-fi as a subgenre is lost in a palimpsest of hacky rewrites that try to shoehorn Cruise into the role of a "zero to hero" type who's supposed to start out a coward and end up a badass fighting machine. The best parts of the film are the early moments that have some lighter video-gamey fun with the reset premise. After that the narrative starts to feel as needlessly dingy and grim as the whole production palette.

Lemmy Caution

#28 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:25 am

Can anyone comment on the doc Tim's Vermeer?
I couldn't tell if it was an interesting exploration or just noodling around.

wllm995

#29 Post by wllm995 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:Can anyone comment on the doc Tim's Vermeer?
I couldn't tell if it was an interesting exploration or just noodling around.
I really enjoyed it. Tim Jenison is a fascinating person who is a self-made man; and would be an interesting subject of a documentary just about his life alone.

The documentary makes a very strong case for exactly how Vermeer used the technology available to him at the time to make his photo realistic paintings.

Penn is the on camera narrator and does a good job and is not obnoxious at all; just informative and sometimes appropriately enthusiastic.
warren oates wrote:I hesitate to ask, but, okay, aside from not being a completely mindless or nonsensical spectacle in the manner of Transformers, besides the cool premise that the film hasn't really honored, just what is it about this particular watered and dumbed down version of this thing that feels so "smart" to you? I'd be curious to hear a defense of the casting of the leads too, who for me both feel deliriously miscast. Blunt tries her best and comes closer than Cruise but only because she's a way better actor. Still, putting aside for a moment the idea that she's no longer really the sort of warrior woman the novelist or initial screenwriters envisioned, the production screenplay as it is undercuts most of the street cred her character had by ascribing her victories merely to the same twist that afflicts Cruise.

Groundhog Day is an appropriate but utterly superficial comparison that was still more apt in versions of this story that never made it to screen (imagine stars or producers arguing to Harold Ramis that we're getting bored with the repetition, that it's time to "open up" the story world and that we need a bigger set piece in a different location for the big ending, that Bill Murray is all wrong and we really should cast a more bankable star). At least in Groundhog Day and in the other better versions of this story, the repetition meant something to the protagonist beyond being a cool conceit and a manic emblem of gamer existentialism.
Either you buy into the central conceit of the movie regarding the day being repeated over and over again - or you do not. If you accept it; why is it not acceptable that Emily Blunt's character could be the kick-ass heroine that she was? I thought that she did a fine job in portraying her "Angel of Verdun" status and her frustrations and obsessiveness over the situation regarding the aliens.

Tom Cruise may have a limited range; but this role was right in his wheelhouse. He was an acceptable coward who moved to being an acceptable hero by end. I thought that Doug Liman did a fine job in alternately stretching out and compressing the day that Tom Cruise repeated over and over again - but that is just me.

It worked for me; maybe not so much for you - which is fine.

warren oates

#30 Post by warren oates » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 am

I thoroughly disliked Borgman, a dark mean pseudo symbolic art house slog of the sort that turns lay folks off to foreign films forever. The film's pointlessly bleak pretension and lame attempts at black humor were made all the more dispiriting by how often it feels well crafted from moment to moment at the more basic levels of direction. Like Scott Tobias says in his review for The Dissolve, there's hardly a bad scene in this film. Yet the whole -- which plays out not so much like the intriguing mystery the film imagines itself to be but more like one tedious teasing non sequitur after another -- is demonstratively less than the sum of its parts.

Drafthouse Films sure cut a great trailer for this, one that I admit succeeded in getting me into the theater. Names like Bunuel and Haneke were being tossed around. I'd also heard references to Bodu Saved From Drowning, though I think a comparison to Teorema is more apt. Borgman's glut of characters, images, ideas and plot developments -- most of which ultimately go nowhere so very uninterestingly -- make you realize what a strong film Teorema is, with its aura of minimalist mystery and menace. Borgman flirts with similar ideas and comes very close in a few moments to becoming something genuinely disturbing and compelling, and to actually having something interesting to say about its ostensible subject, before it impulsively flits off to the next thing, as seemingly bored with itself as the audience I saw it with ultimately became.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#31 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Obvious Child is a winner. Fantastic film about a girl's decision to get an abortion. Jenny Slate proves to be leaps and bounds more clever than the girl I already adored on Kroll Show. The film is all-around funny, consistent, and to the point. It shows the "truth" about abortion but doesn't moralize or lecture. Those who have seen Kroll Show will still see the awesome sense of humor of a girl who doesn't take herself or anything else seriously.

I'd also like to say that one thing that struck me about the film was that the characters spent possibly no time texting. Or Facebooking. Or on social media. But the film still works as a modern piece that is totally of this time and this age group. I know Donna. And I get what her life is like. A film that captures the current New York 20-something moment without being condescending.

LQ

#32 Post by LQ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 am

I'm in agreement with Drucker, Obvious Child is great and Jenny Slate is fantastic. It hits well-worn beats of the romantic comedy genre, but in both wholly satisfying and politically-tinged ways, and with characters that feel irresistibly real. Donna's decision to get an abortion was depicted honestly - no protracted hand wringing, she knew it was the right choice to make, and the film doesn't dwell on it. Rather, it becomes a plot device among others in the potential romantic connection narrative. Not to take away from the gravity of a decision to get an abortion (and the film doesn't), but I'm glad that a movie exists in which abortion can just be a plot point and not the overall topic. Still, the moments where Donna shares a late-night talk with her mother about her decision (the best scene of the film), or asks her roommate about the actual process of an abortion are thoughtful reminders that you rarely if ever hear women talking explicitly about their experience with abortion in contemporary films or tv shows.

Obvious Child is a modest film, but it's very funny, honest, sweet - and quietly radical, even if it's not aiming to be. It's also a perfect showcase for Jenny Slate and I hope to see more and more of her in films.

wllm995

#33 Post by wllm995 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:50 pm

I just watched Starred Up last night - and was blown away by it!

Set in a U.K. prison - it depict the arrival of an intensely violent young man to an adult prison facility (He was "starred up" from his previous appropriate juvenile facility to the adult one because of "behavioral" issues).

It was...realistic; intense; dynamic; violent; extremely well filmed and acted; and just a powerful viewing experience.

I won't let any more out of the bag - just that I can highly; highly recommend that you see this film if you appreciate well done and acted drama.

BTW - The British accents and slang can make things a bit hard to follow at time; but in this film in particular - actions definitely speak louder than words!

(FWIW - 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.)

FerdinandGriffon

#34 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:06 am

Some notes on a few new favorites that haven't gotten much love here (yet):

'Til Madness Do Us Part, Wang Bing
An absolute marvel of sensitivity, attentiveness, empathy, and form. I think any filmmaker working today has things to learn from Wang. His camera roves, waits, wanders, rests, but always finds, discovers something new, whether about men and women, architecture, landscape, light. He knows how to move around a subject (here the inmates of a nearly unadministrated institution for the mentally ill or somehow socially unfit) in a way marked less by insistence than by patience, graciousness, love and, in one remarkable and moving scene, athleticism. I have not yet had an opportunity to see West of the Tracks, but based on this and Three Sisters, I would be surprised if it was anything less than one of the most magnificent films of all time.

Our Sunhi, Hong Sang-soo
Hong's latest is a bitter pill to swallow, but invigorating all the same, graced with four brilliant, prickly lead performances and a hilariously convoluted tangle of misunderstandings, deceptions, and sheer obliviousness. Jung Yu-mi's Sunhi is an interesting extension of her role in Oki's Movie, this time pushed pretty far in the direction of villainy by the ineptitude and self-absorption of her too plentiful suitors. Hong also makes inventive, witty use of less than promising locations, turning a fried chicken restaurant into an unlikely social bottleneck and an overcast city park into a veritable garden of forking paths.

Gebo and His Shadow, Manoel de Oliveira
When putting together my dynamic lists, I go by year of theatrical release in New York City, where I live. I'd seen Gebo last year and immediately popped it into my number 10 spot. It's a sneakily quiet, modest film, and it felt right as the caboose for a very good year. But as the months went on, and I saw more and more wonderful stuff, higher ranked movies kept on getting bumped out while it held on stubbornly to its little bit of turf. A few months ago Anthology Film Archives wisely gave it a week long run, and it moved to new digs on my 2014 list, but this time a bit higher up. It was time to finally face the fact that I love this somber and funny, obscure and lucid, generous and fearful film about the most difficult of subjects.

Au revoir l’été, Fukada Kôji
Approached this with caution, a little wary of any film that flaunts its considerable debt to Rohmer so openly, but was soon won over by its many unique charms, among them a remarkable freedom of point of view and narrative direction, a political awareness that Rohmer would never have aspired to, and a shockingly rich, sophisticated performance by young Nikaido Fumi.

Tip Top, Serge Bozon
I liked La France a fair bit, but felt its ambitions were sometimes too narrow and calculated. Tip Top is a much messier, larger canvassed film, and all the better for it. In fact, Bozon's latest isn't merely at ease with untrammeled, proliferating chaos: it positively revels in it. The cacophonous ending is an especially brilliant example of this new direction, cutting the film short with apocalyptic swiftness and good judgement. Bozon still has an irritating habit of repeating a good joke or filmmaking idea two or three times too often, but three equally unhinged lead performances from Huppert, Kiberlain and Damiens keep the proceeds bouncing along at a merry clip.

Mes séances de lutte, Jacques Doillon
My belated introduction to Doillon, and I'm not sure if it was the place to start, but it's a remarkable film, with an intensity of conversation that we've seen before, but never matched with equal physical expression. A couple argues, volubly and inexhaustibly, but are not able to keep their sparring to a verbal level, and occasionally erupt into physical violence, dirty, well-matched, mean fighting that is also somehow balletic. It's very obviously shot on the cheap and the strangeness of these encounters give the acting a certain theatricality, but it's a fascinating, peculiar, and very serious work.

warren oates

#35 Post by warren oates » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:14 am

FerdinandGriffon wrote:I have not yet had an opportunity to see West of the Tracks, but based on this and Three Sisters, I would be surprised if it was anything less than one of the most magnificent films of all time.
It's certainly in contention for one of the greatest documentaries of all time. And, for me, it's definitely in the top ten of festival filmgoing experiences I've had. You absolutely have to see this. The only point of comparison I can think of is Wiseman's deep sense of time and place, the kind of effect he gets from just hanging out forever with his subjects.

I really don't understand why dGenerate Films, which specializes in new Chinese cinema, rents many of their otherwise unseeable titles on Amazon U.S., and supposedly has a relationship with Icarus Films hasn't pursued access to Wang Bing's work.

FerdinandGriffon

#36 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:32 pm

warren oates wrote:I really don't understand why dGenerate Films, which specializes in new Chinese cinema, rents many of their otherwise unseeable titles on Amazon U.S., and supposedly has a relationship with Icarus Films hasn't pursued access to Wang Bing's work.
That is strange. At the same time, I wouldn't want to watch any of his longer films in a nontheatrical context. They're the kind of incredibly immersive experience that really suffers on home video.

knives

#37 Post by knives » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Haven't suffered for me on my comp so I have to imagine they're greater on the television too.

FerdinandGriffon

#38 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Hmm?

knives

#39 Post by knives » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

I have not suffered in my watching of them at home versus cinema any more than any other film. You thesis doesn't hold water at least in my case.

FerdinandGriffon

#40 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Well, it's subjective of course, but surely you're not surprised to learn someone would prefer watching a beautifully shot nine hour long art documentary on a cinema screen rather than a desktop computer (my home set-up)?

knives

#41 Post by knives » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm not denying that but that's true of practically all movies devised for the cinema. What makes Bing's works unique from Gravity in this respect?

FerdinandGriffon

#42 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Uh, nothing? Did I ever say anything did? I just said Wang's films are immersive, and designed to be so. As was Gravity, and if you like that film chances are you think it achieved this goal and should ideally be viewed on a large screen and in the original 3D. Some movies are more "devised" for the cinema than others. It's not a value judgement. Plenty of great, great films suffer much less than Wang's or Gravity (which I don't care for) when viewed at home.

knives

#43 Post by knives » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:00 pm

But that's the thing. It's ideal to be seen on the big screen, doesn't mean that it should be made unavailable to those who could never possibly come to a screening. At least with some of the more experimental directors you could argue film stock, but Wang films on DV. You are claiming that Wang is more for cinemas, but based on what evidence?

FerdinandGriffon

#44 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Knives, you're being pedantic. I never said that the films shouldn't be put out on DVD. I just emphasized how amazing experiencing Wang's films in a theatrical setting is, after Warren Oates expressed dismay that a distributor that does everything except theatrical releases wasn't picking up his films. And I see no reason why shooting on DV should suggest that Wang doesn't prefer for his films to be viewed theatrically. Certainly not true of Costa, and I suspect for most other arthouse directors who shoot digitally. Wang makes big films, in almost every sense, full of very detailed, carefully shot imagery, enormous landscapes, long takes, and lots of other features that generally work much better on a big screen than a small one. (More so than rapid funny dialogue or flat pop art visuals, for example.)

knives

#45 Post by knives » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

And you have deliberately misconstrued my words. I didn't say that DV prevents a preference for cinema showing, but that talk concerning only cinema showings makes more sense for stuff shot on film given how different stock showings can be to television showings. Also yes, you argued from the beginning that not releasing his films to disc makes sense. Here's exactly what you said (emphasis mine naturally):
FerdinandGriffon wrote:That is strange. At the same time, I wouldn't want to watch any of his longer films in a nontheatrical context. They're the kind of incredibly immersive experience that really suffers on home video.

FerdinandGriffon

#46 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:10 pm

I only expressed a personal preference, one based on my proximity to numerous repertory and art house film venues that have shown Wang's films in the past and will probably continue to do so in the future. It is not an opinion I would express if I didn't have this access to theatrical screenings, and obviously not one I expect anyone in different circumstances to share. By all means Wang Bing's films should be released on DVD/Streaming etc. I would never argue otherwise. But personally, I'm going to hold out for a theatrical screening. Also, since almost all new films (including experimental ones) are projected from DCPs, the fact that film stock suffers when transferred to a digital format is mostly moot.

Edit: For the record, I'm for availability, above all else. If the only way to see a film is through an illegal stream on youtube, I'll watch it. I very much hope 'Til Madness Do Us Part gets released on DVD as it will still be a wonderful film in that format and it will get greater exposure, but I also urge anyone who is offered a chance to see it theatrically to leap at it.

wllm995

#47 Post by wllm995 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:14 am

Just saw Life After Beth and thought it was OK - an interesting comedy/drama about a guy who really missed his recently deceased girlfriend - who then unexpectedly (duh!) come back to life.

Aubrey Plaza does a fine job playing the reanimated girlfriend; with able support from John C. Reilly; Molly Shannon; Paul Reiser; Cheryl Hines and Matthew Grey Gubler (and a small but important part for the always adorable Anna Kendrick). I was not as impressed by the work of Dane DeHaan; who plays the grieving boyfriend as so depressed and hysterical that it takes a lot of joy out of the movie.

Still - recommended on the strength of the other performers and the unusual plot.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Anyone familiar with the Cold Lands? I see it's getting a release packaged together with a book on DVD only (If you're gonna make some kind of fancy package like this, why not make it a Blu-ray? I don't get indie labels)

flyonthewall2983

#49 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Small Time is a decent enough low-budget coming-of-age story/buddy movie, though I would have been more satisfied to just see Christopher Meloni and Dean Norris just be car salesmen for 90 minutes. The female characters are written and played a bit too broad (excuse the pun, which would otherwise fit in this film's universe) so that drags it a little for me.

Movie-Brat

#50 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:56 am

Tusk

Or as I like to call it, I should have went to see The Drop instead.

I mean, I actually supported the idea in day one and I still believe it's a good idea. But it's too bad it falls into the category of "good idea, horriblr execution." I mean there are legit good things I liked about it. I do indeed like the setup, it seemed like an accidental commentary on the YouTube generation before it delve into the scenes with Justin Long and Michael Parks where they sit and talk. However Smith as a filmmaker demonstrates how he can't set a mood or an atmosphere right. It's all over the place, it's a mess. And Johnny Depp, he was not only just a glorified cameo but he ended up being pretty pointless in the end.

I wanted to like it but it seemed like Smith didn't know what to do and really should handed the directing chair to Tobe Hooper or Darren Lynn Bousman. Hell, it was basically Smith trying to be Tobe Hooper and failing at it.