Dynamic Top Tens of 2013

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Lowry_Sam

Re: Dynamic Top Tens of 2013

#76 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 am

Well I've only been to the theater to see one film this year so far & am catching up on past years via dvd. So for the time being it's

9. The Great Beauty
10. Blue Jasmine
Last edited by Lowry_Sam on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felipe

#77 Post by felipe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:28 pm

1. Rush
2. Blancanieves
3. In the House
4. Sightseers
5. Stoker
6. Frozen
7. The Lone Ranger
8. Captain Phillips
9. Blue Jasmine
10. Neighbouring Sounds
Last edited by felipe on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

knives

#78 Post by knives » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one to have loved The Lone Ranger.

kuzine

#79 Post by kuzine » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:04 am

La Vie D'Adèle
Die andere Heimat - Chronik einer Sehnsucht
A Touch of Sin
L'inconnu du Lac
Upstream Color
Jeune et Jolie
Inside LLewyn Davis
Computer Chess
The Conjuring
Spring Breakers
Last edited by kuzine on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thecinemajack

Dynamic Top Tens of 2013

#80 Post by thecinemajack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:34 am

My top ten:

01. Upstream Color (Shane Carruth)
Shane Carruth, to me, is one of the brightest new filmmakers of this century. Primer was very good, a dense and calculated web of science fiction intrigue. Upstream Color is just as abstract and free-form in its storyline but trades its scientific inquiries for philosophical ones. It's well-acted, beautifully-shot, and has some of the best sound design of recent years (including a gorgeous soundtrack). I saw this film in theaters (there were understandably many walkouts) and it was one of those experiences where you just wanna sit there for a few minutes after the credits roll to just let it soak in.

02. Captain Phillips (Paul Greengrass)
What an intense, intense film. Despite being fifteen to twenty minutes too long, my attention was held throughout as I edged closer to the end of my seat and my knuckles were white as I clutched my arm rests. I've never been a fan of Tom Hanks, having always found him to be an "overactor," if that makes sense. His performances are usually caricatures, but he's absolutely remarkable here. I often forgot I was even watching Tom Hanks, and there's a scene at the end of the film which had my jaw dropped in disbelief at how incredible he was at channeling this character. I don't even think I need to say more about the scene; I'm guessing anyone who was seen the film knows exactly what I'm talking about.

03. Lore (Cate Shortland)
This film is an objective look at the ugliness of war. It depicts the struggle of German children in the aftermath of World War II. These are children who were not Nazis, who were not responsible for the atrocities committed during the war, but suffered regardless. Bolstered by a great lead performance by Saskia Rosendahl, the journey that these youths take across a war-torn Germany to reach safety at their grandmother's house is one that could've been told from the point of any of the Allied forces ravaged by war; that said, the fact that they're German just shows that we're all human, some are evil, and some are innocent.

04. Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
If you haven't seen this yet, see it soon, because this is a film that should really be viewed on the big screen. It's a simple premise, but executed masterfully. The Earth looks absolutely gorgeous from outer space; kudos to the visual effects team for really making the audience feel as if what we're watching was legitimately shot in space. Sandra Bullock carries most of the film and she's very solid here; expect an Oscar nomination for her. Gravity is a technical triumph and an immeasurably engrossing thriller.

05. Mud (Jeff Nichols)
Matthew McConaughey has come a long way from films like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Failure to Launch. Mud is like a Southern fairytale; McConaughey gives a fantastic performance as the almost mythological Mud, a man on the outskirts of civilization who exists in two different realms, the realm of reality, where he is a tragically-flawed man, and the realm of chatter (so to speak), where he is what the public narrative allows him to be. The actors who play the two children are also excellent, and hopefully they maintain the level of quality that so many child actors often fail to do.

06. Stoker (Park Chan-wook)
One hell of a creepy and eerily erotic thriller. Park Chan-wook has crafted one of the most engrossing film atmospheres this year. Mia Wasikowska is quite talented, doing fine work as corrupted innocence. Nicole Kidman provides strong supporting work as her mother. The real star of the film, however, is Matthew Goode. It's very fitting, given the name of the film, that he channels the suave and seductive nature of a vampire. His performance is my favorite supporting actor role of the year.

07. Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine)
Spring Breakers is actually my first Harmony Korine film but I plan on watching more after really liking this film. It's like watching a fever dream as Korine distorts and corrupts these young girls via one of the most entertaining characters of the year, Alien. I'm not a huge fan of James Franco, but man, is he something weird here. Also, there's a great montage of a series of robberies set to Britney Spears's "Everytime," which is just … ah, words just can't even describe it.

08. The World's End (Edgar Wright)
Prior to its release, The World's End was my most anticipated film of the year. It didn't disappoint. While it is the weakest in the Cornetto trilogy (which also includes 2004's Shaun of the Dead and 2007's Hot Fuzz), it's still the best comedy of the year. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are brilliant as usual, but there's also a strong supporting cast here that includes Martin Freeman, Rosamund Pike, Paddy Considine, and Eddie Marsan. It's a laugh-out-loud comedy with some cool action sequences and, surprisingly, some heartfelt dramatic scenes at the end.

09. Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland)
Some of you may have seen the film last year since it was released in the UK in 2012, but it didn't get a United States release until this year. Toby Jones does a great job leading this visceral and unnerving thriller. As great as the sound design was for Upstream Color, it's even better in Berberian Sound Studio and works as the film's biggest key component. There's not much in particular that actually happens in the film, but there's always a lingering fear throughout the film. Fear of what, you ask? I'm gonna pretend you asked. It's actually unclear. Berberian Sound Studio shows us the technical aspects of effective horror filmmaking; there's nothing we should be afraid of, but the use of sound gives us that feeling regardless. Probably the most unique experiment I've seen this year.

10. Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve)
Great film but not one I plan on seeing again. It's very depressing, sometimes overwhelmingly so, but always compelling and emotionally provocative. Hugh Jackman gives the performance of his career as a man who will go to great lengths to rescue his kidnapped daughter and her friend. He does some horrific things in the name of his daughter's safety; is he a hero or an anti-hero? Thankfully, Prisoners never gives you an answer, remaining morally ambiguous throughout. Jake Gyllenhaal is also brilliant as the goofily-named Detective Loki. The strong supporting cast includes Terrence Howard, Viola Davis, Maria Bello, Paul Dano, and Melissa Leo. It's an intriguing mystery and an emotionally-draining journey, and one hell of an effective film.

fatboyslim142

#81 Post by fatboyslim142 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 am

My top 10 are

1) Blue is the Warmest Colour (Saw at BFI LFF gala showing. It's Film of the year & Adèle Exarchopoulos gives the performance of the year)
2) Camille Claudel 1915 (saw at BFI LFF & not sure of UK release date. Juliette Binoche gives the 2nd best performance of the year)
3) Salvo (saw at BFI LFF but it's out on 14th February next year. An excellent Italian gangster film which is like nothing you've seen before)
4) American Mary
5) Grand Central (saw at BFI LFF & not sure of UK release date)
6)A Field In England (saw on Film 4 on day of release)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Last edited by fatboyslim142 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#82 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am

Sounds like you had a rather dull year before the LFF

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#83 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 am

I'm not sure someone can claim performance and movie of the year after a total of five films seen

Black Hat

#84 Post by Black Hat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:27 am

And fatboyslim142 was never heard from on the forum again...

fatboyslim142

#85 Post by fatboyslim142 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:58 am

domino harvey wrote:I'm not sure someone can claim performance and movie of the year after a total of five films seen
I did seen 'Pink Flamingoes' (1972) at the Prince Charles Cinema back in June, but as that's a 1970s film, it doesn't count.

j99

#86 Post by j99 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 pm

01. Blue Is The Warmest Colour
02. Gravity (3D)
03. Upstream Colour
04. 12 Years A Slave
05. Spring Breakers
06. The Place Beyond The Pines
07. To The Wonder
08. Compliance
09. The Paperboy
10. All Is Lost
Last edited by j99 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

reno dakota

#87 Post by reno dakota » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm

1. The Selfish Giant (Barnard)
2. Like Father, Like Son (Kore-eda)
3. Only Lovers Left Alive (Jarmusch)
4. Leviathan (Castaing-Taylor & Paravel)
5. Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen & Coen)
6. Stranger by the Lake (Guiraudie)
7. Child's Pose (Netzer)
8. The Place Beyond the Pines (Cianfrance)
9. To the Wonder (Malick)
10. For Those in Peril (Wright)
Last edited by reno dakota on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Arn777

#88 Post by Arn777 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 am

1- The Canyons
2- Spring Breakers

To be continued...

Alyosha

#89 Post by Alyosha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:54 pm

1. Gözetleme Kulesi (Esmer)
2. Stories We Tell (Polley)
3. Leviathan (Paravel, Castaing-Taylor)
4. Les Salauds (Denis)
5. Después de Lucía (Franco)
6. Wadjda (Al Mansour)
7. Paradies: Liebe (Seidl)
8. Frances Ha (Baumbach)
9. Återträffen (Odell)
10. The Master (Anderson)
Last edited by Alyosha on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshuadel

#90 Post by Joshuadel » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:39 pm

Still holding off on the Coen film, although based on all I've heard and read, I'd be surprised if it doesn't muscle its way onto the list:

1. Mud (Nichols)
2. Before Midnight (Linklater)
3. The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer)
4. Ain't Them Bodies Saints (Lowery)
5. The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese)
6. Leviathan (Castaing-Taylor / Paravel)
7. Pacific Rim (Del Toro)
8. Upstream Color (Carruth)
8. The World's End (Wright)
10. Captain Phillips (Greengrass)

Also Rans (in no particular order)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Jackson), The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence), Side Effects (Soderbergh), Behind the Candelabra (Soderbergh), American Hustle (Russell), Dallas Buyers Club (Vallee), Blue Jasmine (Allen), Computer Chess (Bujalski), The Dirties (Johnson), Don Jon (Gordon-Levitt), Much Ado About Nothing (Whedon), This is the End (Goldberg / Rogen), Twixt (Coppola), The Great Gatsby (Luhrmann), Frances Ha (Baumbach), Twelve Years a Slave (McQueen), Nebraska (Payne)

Haven't Seens
Her (Jonze), Inside Llewyn Davis (Coens), Blue is the Warmest Color (Kechiche), The Past (Farhadi), Wadjda (Al Mansour), The Great Beauty (Sorrentino)

Hated, Hated, Hateds
Gravity (Cuaron), Fruitvale Station (Coogler), To the Wonder (Malick), Man of Steel (Snyder), The Iceman (Vromen), Only God Forgives (Refn), Escape From Tomorrow (Moore), Here Comes the Devil (Bogliano), The Conjuring (Wan)
Last edited by Joshuadel on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

D50

#91 Post by D50 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:53 pm

01 Fill the Void ***
02 The Wolf of Wall Street
03 Nebraska
04 A Touch of Sin
05 Blue Jasmine
06 Blue is the Warmest Color ***
07 Before Midnight
08 Francis Ha
09 Upstream Color
10 All is Lost

11 Leviathan
12 Camille Claudel 1915
13 American Hustle
14 Gravity
15 Inside Llewyn Davis
16 To the Wonder
17 The Conjuring
18 Stories We Tell
19 Spring Breakers
20 Like Father, Like Son

the rest, in order:

Prisoners
12 Years a Slave ***
Computer Chess
Mud
Dallas Buyers Club
The Grandmaster
Short Term 12
The World's End
Philomena
Captain Phillips

The Place Beyond the Pines
The Wind Rises
Saving Mr. Banks
Her
The Sapphires
Only God Forgives
Side Effects
Remote Area Medical ***
Cutie and the Boxer ***
Pacific Rim ***

new ***

2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008
Last edited by D50 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 35 times in total.

geoffcowgill

#92 Post by geoffcowgill » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 am

1- Inside Llewyn Davis
2- Blue Jasmine
3- Behind The Candelabra
4- Her
5- Nebraska
6- The Wolf Of Wall Street
7- Gravity
8- Stories We Tell
9- The World’s End
10- Short Term 12
Last edited by geoffcowgill on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesF

#93 Post by JamesF » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 am

Picking only films that got a UK theatrical release...

1. Before Midnight
2. Upstream Colour
3. Lore
4. To The Wonder
5. No
6. Blue Is The Warmest Colour
7. Cloud Atlas
8. You're Next
9. Big Bad Wolves
10. A Field In England

Honorable festival mentions - The Dance Of Reality (will probably never get released here, not least due to the golden shower scene) and Jodorowsky's Dune

And I do have to second the praise earlier in the thread for Curse Of Chucky, which was a lot more fun than expected!

Red Screamer

Dynamic Top Tens of 2013

#94 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:23 am

01 Her (Jonze)
02 Gravity (Cuarón)
03 Upstream Color (Carruth)
04 Glistening Thrills (Mack)
05 Under the Skin (Glazer)
06 The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese)
07 Inside Llewyn Davis (Coens)
08 The World's End (Wright)
09 A Master Builder (Demme)
10 Museum Hours (Cohen)

Updated 12/16/19
Last edited by Red Screamer on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:59 am, edited 23 times in total.

Lars Von Truffaut

#95 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:50 pm

1. Her (Jonze)
2. Before Midnight (Linklater)
3. The Hunt (Vinterberg)
4. Blue Jasmine (Allen)
5. Twelve Years A Slave (McQueen)
6. Blue Is The Warmest Color (Kechiche)
7. Inside Llewyn Davis (Coens)
8. American Hustle (O. Russell)
9. The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese)
10. Nebraska (Payne)

dustysomers

#96 Post by dustysomers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:58 pm

1. Museum Hours (Cohen)
2. Leviathan (Castaing-Taylor, Paravel)
3. Inside Llewyn Davis (Coens)
4. Frances Ha (Baumbach)
5. The Unspeakable Act (Sallitt)
6. The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese)
7. To the Wonder (Malick)
8. Upstream Color (Carruth)
9. The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer)
10. Computer Chess (Bujalski)

sighkingu

#97 Post by sighkingu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:43 pm

1. Neighboring Sounds
2. A Touch of Sin
3. Leviathan
4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. The Gatekeepers
6. All is Lost
7. Rush
8. The World's End
9. Like Father, Like Son
10. The Conjuring

Also enjoyed: The Angels' Share; Behind the Candelabra; Zero Dark Thirty; Fill the Void; Amour; The Act of Killing; 12 Years a Slave; Barbara; Beyond Outrage, Pacific Rim; Bastards; Gravity; Nebraska; Twixt (2011); Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth;
Does Your Soul Have a Cold? (2007); the Unknown Known; In the Fog (2012); Drug War; Jack the Giant Slayer; Pain and Gain; R100; Tabu (2012).

Shorts: November 22, 1963, directed by Errol Morris, U.S. (NY Times); From One Second to the Next, directed by Werner Herzog (PSA/AT&T); Russian dashcams: The Chelyabinsk Meteor, directed by various (Youtube).

Missed out on: Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa; Bullet to the Head, directed by Walter Hill; Combustible, directed by Otomo Katsuhiro; Inside Llewyn Davis; Ip Man: The Final Fight, directed by Herman Yau; Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa; Like Someone in Love ; Manakamana, directed by Stephanie Spray and Pacho Velez; Nobody’s Daughter Haewon and Our Sunhi; Museum Hours; Passion; Philomena; Prisoners; The Tale of Princess Kaguya, directed by Takahata Isao; When Björk Met Attenborough; The Wind Rises.

Plenty of movies I didn't like but I'm going to stick with the positive ones.

FrauBlucher

#98 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:32 am

1) La Grande Bellezza
2) The Past
3) Ain't Them Bodies Saints
4) Hannah Arendt
5) A Highjacking
6) Gravity
7)Museum Hours
8) Dallas Buyers Club
9) American Hustle
10) To The Wonder
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

furbicide

#99 Post by furbicide » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am

1. Frances Ha
2. Blue is the Warmest Colour
3. Post Tenebras Lux
4. Bastards
5. Before Midnight
6. Spring Breakers
7. Stranger by the Lake
8. The Act of Killing
9. The Unspeakable Act
10. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

(Apologies to After May, Magic Magic and It Felt Like Love).

rohming

#100 Post by rohming » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:51 pm

1. Her
2. Mud
3. Upstream Color
4. Frances Ha
5. Gravity
6. Catching Fire
7. Desolation of Smaug
8. Stoker
9. Wolf of Wall Street
10. Only God Forgives

Honorable mention: Drinking Buddies

Really wish i'd seen: Bastards, Under the Skin

Not a fan: Place Beyond the Pines, Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Bling Ring, Spring Breakers, etc.
Last edited by rohming on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.