MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: MoviePass

#201 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Brian C wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:I do look forward to what I hope is the inevitable addition of advance ticketing support within the MoviePass app. We only have one theater nearby that supports it, a Studio Movie Grill, and LQ in particular detests seeing films with the lingering smell of ketchup in the air.
Hear hear. Surprisingly few people are bothered by the smell of ketchup but I've always thought it was unpleasant. That bulk ketchup at the theater is the worst.
The ideal "dine-in" theater would let you get food and beverages (alcoholic and non) before you enter the theater, but would be conscious about not offering super odorous or loud foods. But I guess I'm essentially talking about, you know, a regular movie theater. Still like the addition of beer at the dine-ins though.

Luke M

#202 Post by Luke M » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 am

I never would’ve saw Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim Uprising, nor Ready Player One without MoviePass. All those movies I used to be on the fence about seeing now it’s just an issue of finding the time.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#203 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 am

On the other side of the same coin, I would have paid actual cash money to see something like A Quiet Place and then been cursing myself as I walked out of the theater for the misfire. So MoviePass has been a huge boon for guilt-free movie attendance.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#204 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:40 am

You still helped John Krasinski make money though

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#205 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#206 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:39 pm

My local Landmark theaters now appear to offer e-ticketing within the MoviePass app, allowing you to reserve tickets earlier in the day from wherever you're at, then present a confirmation code when you arrive.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#207 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm

I can see why theaters would be reluctant to do e-ticketing since it would seem to make it more likely that someone would reserve a seat and never claim it, costing either the theater or MoviePass money; that said, I assume MoviePass could just cut someone off for doing that as they have for people who buy tickets at a theater and then leave, or buy food with the card.

Oedipax

#208 Post by Oedipax » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:17 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:My local Landmark theaters now appear to offer e-ticketing within the MoviePass app, allowing you to reserve tickets earlier in the day from wherever you're at, then present a confirmation code when you arrive.
Just got the same email for the Landmark in Atlanta (on the same day my physical card arrived!)

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#209 Post by Brian C » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:27 pm

The Gene Siskel Film Center here in Chicago is no longer available. A real shame, I go there pretty frequently. They're a non-profit, though, connected to the School at the Art Institute of Chicago, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the reason why.

DarkImbecile

#210 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Lars Von Truffaut

#211 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:07 am

Brian C wrote:The Gene Siskel Film Center here in Chicago is no longer available. A real shame, I go there pretty frequently. They're a non-profit, though, connected to the School at the Art Institute of Chicago, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the reason why.
Yeah, this bites. I had put off seeing Faces Places and was pumped to catch up with that and watch Lucrecia Martel's Zama... I also think they are the ones hosting the Bergman Retrospective when it hits Chicago this summer. Brian, it may be time for us to discuss splitting the cost of a dual-membership... :lol:

Am I crazy, or was ArcLight also available at one point, but now not listed as one of the theaters? I wonder what the frequency is of dropouts and how may have come back to the fold. (Isn't this essentially what happened with AMC River East?)

Brian C

#212 Post by Brian C » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 am

ArcLight was never listed as far as I know. Certainly not since I signed up in November. I’d hardly go anywhere else if it was on MoviePass.

I actually tried to go see Zama the other day but couldn’t check in, and couldn’t get a response from the help chat. It’s apparent now why that was the case.

Lars Von Truffaut

#213 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:25 am

Also, Doc Films is off the grid. Perhaps also for the reasons mentioned of GFSC, as Doc is affiliated with U of C.

goblinfootballs

#214 Post by goblinfootballs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:57 am

DarkImbecile wrote:The Great Disruptor
With memberships to two local non-profit theatres, a limited attendance at chain theatres, and an antipathy towards disruptive business models, I've never considered joining MoviePass. This quote from the Variety article makes me think I made the right choice:
but MoviePass believes the data it collects on consumers can help it turn a profit

Ribs

#215 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 pm

This passage is... facinating, though:
Lowe is the Forrest Gump of media disruption, popping up as businesses are being upturned. A high school dropout, he got his start selling black-light posters in Europe. That business died after Disney, upset at seeing cartoon depictions such as Snow White being lewdly serviced by all seven dwarves, sued and the company went bankrupt. From there, he did a stint in finance, bought some video stores in the 1980s, became a co-founding executive of Netflix and headed up Redbox when the kiosk giant was feuding with studios for access to their films.
I also think that, though they clearly have gigantic capital infusions, they're generally being a little vague when talking about the long-term health of the company assuming theaters don't come to the table in a way that makes me think they're well aware their model isn't really accounting for that possibility.

I really don't mind the data thing, either, but I *really* do not believe that customer's data is worth enough to sell to make up the gigantic deficit the rest of the business has to run on.

DarkImbecile

#216 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I thought this was an interesting section:
MoviePass acknowledges that for its business model to work, it needs to attract customers in Midwestern and Southern states where ticket prices are cheaper. The bulk of its users are in major cities such as New York and Los Angeles where the cost of a single movie is greater than a monthly membership. At the same time, the company wants to drive down usage. To be profitable, it wants the bulk of its subscribers to see an average of just over a movie a month. Lowe estimates that the company can produce $6 of additional monthly revenue per customer on top of the subscription fee by selling ads and getting a cut of ticket sales and concessions from partners.
I would assume that the phrasing "drive down usage" is a slight misrepresentation of the goal of driving down average usage by building a costumer base beyond those using the service 3-5 times a week (like many of the people on this forum), but I do wonder if they'd eventually do something like cap the number of uses at a given theater per month/week in order to keep the heaviest users from unbalancing the user pool too severely. If they were able to get a more even distribution of subscribers across the country and outside of the 50 biggest urban area, that'd be probably the biggest single step toward long-term sustainability without substantial reduction in usability; still, I'm saving $100+ a month on this service, so any steps they take to reduce usage are going to have to get pretty draconian before it stops being worth it.

DarkImbecile

#217 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#218 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 pm

MoviePass acknowledges that for its business model to work, it needs to attract customers in Midwestern and Southern states where ticket prices are cheaper. The bulk of its users are in major cities such as New York and Los Angeles where the cost of a single movie is greater than a monthly membership.
That's going to be a big problem, since the math just doesn't work out. Not only are small town film goers disincentivized by the fact that cheaper prices compared to the monthly cost means they have less to save by going with MoviePass, but the number of films that screen in small towns is limited, meaning there are less opportunities to see films to make the service worthwhile. I recently moved from a town of about 30,000 with a 10 screen theater which mostly gets blockbusters and evangelical films, and most people I talk to about MoviePass say it would be great if they lived in a bigger city, but it just doesn't make sense there since there's rarely more than a single movie a month that they are interested in seeing.

Brian C

#219 Post by Brian C » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm

My parents jumped on it, under the logic of “we’d go a lot more if we didn’t have to pay for it.” They live in suburban Florida where the film selection is ... well, hit-and-miss, not quite blockbusters-only, but a movie has to mount some semblance of a wide release to play there.

Lars Von Truffaut

#220 Post by Lars Von Truffaut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 am

Yesterday I went to see You Were Never Really Here with a friend who also has MoviePass. As we sat down to discuss the film afterwards, I also brought up that Siskel Center was no longer listed. He was stunned and kind of sad — he was the one who finally convinced me to give it a go because he knew how often I frequented that particular theater. He pulled out his phone. We compared maps. Lo & behold, GSFC was listed as one of his available theaters!

He has only seen 4 films since he got MoviePass 3 months ago. I have seen 18 in 6 or 7 weeks. Has that got something to do with it? And then this morning I am looking to see what film to watch later this afternoon and I see the Gene Siskel Film Center listed once again. So bizarre...

Luke M

#221 Post by Luke M » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 am

Reminded me of a minor annoyance, I really dislike how the theater selection defaults to map view instead of list view.

Brian C

#222 Post by Brian C » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:05 am

Yeah I noticed the Siskel was back yesterday too, but forgot to mention it here. Doc also.

But now they’re both gone again this morning!!

Just kidding, they’re still there. And now ArcLight is too!!

Just kidding, ArcLight isn’t really there.

jwd5275

#223 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am

Looks like the new MoviePass promotion limits a person to 4 movies per month.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#224 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am

RIP MoviePass

DarkImbecile

#225 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am

Only for new customers, though... looks like everyone else is grandfathered into the one-per-day limit. Not sure if that'll be true upon renewal, but for now if they can make it seven more months I'll be happy.