Mandy (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)

Discuss films of the 21st century including current cinema, current filmmakers, and film festivals.
John Cope

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#1 Post by John Cope » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm

At long last, Mandy. There is no other film I'm looking forward to more this year.

colinr0380

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:34 pm

That looks very interesting. If the premise seems slightly more graspable than Cosmatos's previous film, it still looks to have a similar style! What did you think of Beyond The Black Rainbow, John Cope?

(EDIT: I like the idea that Mandy might feature an animated sequence that could be the equivalent of the central flashback scene in the previous film)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Cope

#3 Post by John Cope » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:34 pm
What did you think of Beyond The Black Rainbow, John Cope?
Loved it.

cpetrizzi

#4 Post by cpetrizzi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 am

John Cope wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm
At long last, Mandy. There is no other film I'm looking forward to more this year.
Jesus, what a trailer. I'm hooked!

Peter-H

Mandy (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)

#5 Post by Peter-H » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Mandy is the second film by Panos Cosmatos, the director of Beyond The Black Rainbow and I'm really excited for this one because it's getting great reviews, it apparently centers around an especially bonkers Nicholas Cage performance, and the trailer makes it look pretty insane. Mandy hits theaters September 14th.

Edit: Why can't this movie have it's own thread? Why did my thread get moved to the trailer section?

thirtyframesasecond

Re: Mandy (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)

#6 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 am

'From Visionary Director...' is the kind of thing M Night Shyalaman modestly prefaces his movies with. Cosmatos has only directed one previous movie, so this is particularly impressive. Still, I am looking forward to this.

zedz

#7 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Mandy is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The most interesting thing about it is the sluggish, drugged-up pace for the first hour or so, which really seemed to nonplus much of its target audience. The final half-hour is non-stop bonkers, however, so all was forgiven. I found it stylish but shallow, and less fun and inventive than I'd hoped.

Lost Highway

#8 Post by Lost Highway » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:52 pm

I loved the look and sound of Beyond the Black Rainbow but I also found it interminable till it livened up in the last 10 minutes, when it suddenly became a slasher film. I could go and see Mandy on Wednesday when it opens Berlin‘s Fantasy Filmfest but it’s also getting released here on Blu-ray in a couple of months, so I may wait for that.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 am

I had the opposite reaction to Beyond The Black Rainbow from Lost Highway, feeling that the turn into slasher film territory in the penultimate scene was the major flaw, totally unnecessary (especially because it involves two characters never seen before, who exist only to get killed!) and rather broke the wonderfully hypnotic tone (or sluggish, drugged up pace!) of the rest of the film. Though admittedly the slowness is one of the more extreme tests of an audience needing to get onto a film's wavelength outside of a Sokurov film, which ironically makes that penultimate scene even more jarring! Luckily the very final scene pulled things back somewhat.

So in some ways I'm glad to hear that Mandy still features the tone that zedz notes! And the turn into violent craziness sounds as if it should be a lot more motivated here as well.

I suppose my only other question about the film so far is whether Barry Manilow plays on the soundtrack? :)

thirtyframesasecond

#10 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 am

Hopefully 10cc's I'm Mandy Fly Me also makes it.

Lost Highway

#11 Post by Lost Highway » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:16 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 am
I had the opposite reaction to Beyond The Black Rainbow from Lost Highway, feeling that the turn into slasher film territory in the penultimate scene was the major flaw, totally unnecessary (especially because it involves two characters never seen before, who exist only to get killed!) and rather broke the wonderfully hypnotic tone (or sluggish, drugged up pace!) of the rest of the film. Though admittedly the slowness is one of the more extreme tests of an audience needing to get onto a film's wavelength outside of a Sokurov film, which ironically makes that penultimate scene even more jarring! Luckily the very final scene pulled things back somewhat.

So in some ways I'm glad to hear that Mandy still features the tone that zedz notes! And the turn into violent craziness sounds as if it should be a lot more motivated here as well.

I suppose my only other question about the film so far is whether Barry Manilow plays on the soundtrack? :)
I think the ending makes no sense and is a totally WTF change of direction, but something finally happens ! I like the film but think it would have been better had it lost 30 minutes. I feel like that about other overextended retro genre-homages primarily concerned with style, like The Love Witch, The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears and almost any film by Guy Maddin (whose work I adore but most of his films could be improved by a good editor). Of course I get that one persons "sluggish" is another persons "hypnotic" but for that a film needs to have a little more substance than Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Cde.

#12 Post by Cde. » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am

zedz wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm
Mandy is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The most interesting thing about it is the sluggish, drugged-up pace for the first hour or so, which really seemed to nonplus much of its target audience. The final half-hour is non-stop bonkers, however, so all was forgiven. I found it stylish but shallow, and less fun and inventive than I'd hoped.
Agreed. The first half is much more interesting and has some arresting play with colour and editing. The second half is way too self-aware of the Nicholas Cage meme, and the action is boringly staged.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm

I agree with some users here that [parts of] the second half don't hold a candle to the hypnotic qualities of the opening hour of the film, but this was a really enjoyable slice of grindhouse cinema with a truly special look to it, though it comes with one caveat - I'm not sure Cosmatos can ever make another film that looks or feels like this again. I've never seen any filmmaker set up to experience absolute reputational whiplash the way he is, if his next film is a colorful heavy metal showpiece it's going to likely (and probably justly since this crossed my mind in the first place) like someone who can only do one thing over and over. Which Mandy should show is very much not the case - within all the thick grain and color tints and shifting light sources there are some truly transcendent moments. Take, for one, a dissolve that occurs prior to one of the film's many moments of self-aware humor, juxtaposing two faces in such a magnificently hypnotic way that you don't even realize it's happening until you do, which provided me with such a charge, having no real expectation to find such joys beyond the surface of this film.

Nicolas Cage is great (but he's almost always great), and if anything I just wish he had a little more to do, at times. By virtue of the cinematography, there are times that you can hardly see him, or are paying attention to something else other than his performance since this whole thing is fucking insane, and that sort of dwarfs his contribution a little, especially since Andrea Riseborough absolutely runs away with this - she's magnetic, with a nervy Shelley Duvall quality that I haven't seen since, well, Shelley Duvall. This will likely catapult her career (LQ reports that while she didn't care for it much, Nancy will likely do some work to that end as well), and I can only hope she finds the sorts of roles that Duvall was so good in - she possesses such a unique and beautiful raw nerve that this film is a love letter to, and with that sort of versatility the possibilities are endless for her.

ianthemovie

#14 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:53 pm

I loved this, a few of the sniggering campy Nic Cage touches aside, which came as a pleasant surprise because I was kind of scared I would hate it. It's an amazing feat technically; I found the use of lighting and optical effects, slow motion, dissolves and superimpositions (as mfunk noted), as well as the relentless pounding score, absolutely mesmerizing. The shots of Cage driving through landscapes that look like the illustrated covers of old-school horror/sci fi paperbacks were especially beautiful. I found it to be legitimately scary as well, partly due to the villains being really well cast (I think the last time I saw Linus Roache it was in The Wings of the Dove in 1997, so I was not expecting this kind of performance from him) and partly due to Cosmatos' use of production design, sound and color (those neon reds!)

Not to draw too facile a comparison, but after so many horror movies with complicated high-concept plots (Hereditary, The Witch, It Follows, etc.) it was refreshing to see a horror movie with a really simple, almost cliche story, but told in a way that was visually imaginative and striking. The plot and the script are borderline dumb but I still prefer this to a lot of other recent indie horror because it was so amazing to look at and listen to.

Cde.

#15 Post by Cde. » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm

I agree that it was genuinely scary, but a lot of my problems with the movie stem from how it undermines itself in the second half. After all the dread of the protracted build up, the villains were all dispatched way too quickly and easily. It took a turn for the silly. It doesn't help that, based on this evidence, Cosmatos is way better at directing a dark mood piece than an action romp.

Cameron Swift

#16 Post by Cameron Swift » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 am

I wanted to love this. The visuals were quite striking, but the second half of the movie descended into the cartoonish, bloody violence that Nicolas Cage typically finds himself in. I can't put my finger on exact moments but there were times where it reminded me of two of his other films - Drive Angry and Ghost Rider

Foam

#17 Post by Foam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Those who are so inclined can justifiably lob the "all style but finally stupid" complaint at it, but for me that in no way undermines the film's achievement since you could level similar complaints at the feet of Apocalypse Now or other agreed upon masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. I'm also sad that for many viewers, here and elsewhere, there is some kind of felt discontinuity between the first and second hour. For me that's no more of a divide than between the two parts of Kill Bill--different gears for sure, but recognizably the same vehicle. If anything, I thought this was one of the most impressive examples of sustained, pulsing, aesthetic unity in an entertainment romp this decade. There are definitely things about this film that bothered me (my religious sensibilities were certainly offended) but ultimately films with this much combined imagination and vision and entertainment value are rare enough that when one like this comes along and just full throttle tries to be an uncompromised progressive metal album, it's difficult for me to feel anything but thankful.