Celeste and Jesse Forever (Lee Toland Krieger, 2012)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
bottled spider

Celeste and Jesse Forever (Lee Toland Krieger, 2012)

#1 Post by bottled spider » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:09 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm
Celeste and Jesse Forever (Lee Toland Krieger) Unlike Aubrey Plaza in the agonizingly unwatchable Safety Not Guaranteed, Rashida Jones proves herself capable of anchoring a star vehicle (it no doubt helps that she co-wrote the thing). This is an innately likable film that uses some great comic actors and scenarios to coat the bitter pill of its rather dour portrayal of the decay of a relationship and the end result far exceeds how good it needed to be to still work.
Celeste and Jesse Forever (Lee Toland Krieger) I feel moved to make an important public service announcement regarding a point of grammar in this film. When Celeste corrects the young pop singer for saying regime instead of regimen, I thought to myself, oh god, I've been making that same mistake my entire life. Months later I check the dictionary. And guess what? This turns out to have been nothing but a cruel prank on the gullible: regime can be indeed be used in the sense of regimen.

I can barely contain my outrage.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Films of 2012

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Justice 4 Emma Roberts, when's the rally

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 pm

I hope that we can keep using the term Risorgimento too!

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:41 am

Celeste and Jesse Forever is just about the most honest romantic comedy I’ve seen in forever, maybe actually. A film made by and for adults who don’t know what the fuck they’re doing (everyone?) even if they have a better idea than they give themselves credit for, this establishes a warm acknowledgment of all flaws as integral to growth, even if by failing we get the most important information. Most importantly, it’s proof that self-actualization is a lifelong process of development, and this story takes a risk by not exactly celebrating that fact but moving just a little bit closer to acceptance by the end, knowing full well that this process won’t be linear (which is- ahem- perhaps the most measurable form of growth). It’s also so fucking funny. I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time and Rashida Jones and McCormack (whose Viktor Frankl gag destroyed me) should consider writing another movie together maybe outside of Pixar. Please. For a movie that must hit some expected beats the narrative unfolds with originality and takes detours into the convoluted lives spun by the leads because that’s the actual story of a romantic rupture. I’ve always been such huge fans of both Jones and Samberg I’m kicking myself for waiting eight years for this one (I remember shrugging it off when it came to theatres, like a chump) but it’s a blessing to discover something so wonderful that I somehow missed this decade, so I’m going to keep digging through the pile of unwatched intrigue to see what else I’ve minimized the value of through a lapse in judgment.