It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm 

Quentin Tarantino Hatches ‘Star Trek’ Movie Idea; Paramount, JJ Abrams To Assemble Writer’s Room

Well that's certainly something isn't it?

Post subject: Re: Quentin Tarantino
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 am 

Klingon motherfucker, do you speak it?!

I can’t say I have more than superficial knowledge of Star Trek-but for him to work on such a large scale production would be fascinating-for the result and the behind scenes extras.

Last edited by bearcuborg on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am 

Splunge?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm 

This Star Trek film will be R-rated, and Tarantino is hoping to direct

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm 

Making this his final bid as a director?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 pm 

Doubt it'll count toward the 10 or he'd write it himself. Also doubt he ever limits himself to 10 films, just like he never did a thousand other things he said he would like to do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm 

Not a topic title I ever expected to see here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:29 pm 

swo17 wrote:
Making this his final bid as a director?

This is the most baffling part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm 

Him writing this movie is half the intrigue...there’s no way he doesn’t write the bulk of this movie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 pm 

bearcuborg wrote:
Him writing this movie is half the intrigue...there’s no way he doesn’t write the bulk of this movie.

It's his concept but someone else is writing it. I'm sure he'll take a pass on it, but I don't think there's any indication that he'll be writing it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 pm 

I'll imagine we'll be seeing a ton of "QAPLA MOTHERFUCKER!" memes all over the place real soon. Had I not seen this news the other day I would never have believed it.

The rumor is that it's based on a famous episode called The City on the Edge of Forever as Tarantino apparently in an interview has expressed interest in this story specifically. I cannot attest to the veracity of that claim but there is apparently an interview where he talks about something like this.

EDIT: Or this. My mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:30 am 

I know it's unrelated to this film, but I had always hoped that Apichatpong Weerasethakul would make his Star Trek movie. An even further long-shot than QT, for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:18 pm 

miless wrote:
I know it's unrelated to this film, but I had always hoped that Apichatpong Weerasethakul would make his Star Trek movie. An even further long-shot than QT, for sure.

Wow, that would be something! Do you know of a source for Weerasethakul talking about this? I tried searching but to no avail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm 

StevenJ0001 wrote:
miless wrote:

Wow, that would be something! Do you know of a source for Weerasethakul talking about this? I tried searching but to no avail.
From what I can find, looks like it wouldn't be an actual Star Trek film, but inspired by/utilizing Star Trek.

From a 2011 AVClub Interview
Quote:
AVC: You have a science-fiction project called Utopia that you’ve been talking about making for years. What can you say about that?

AW: It’s a utopian project because it is so expensive. I don’t know if I can manage, or if my producer can. It was something I dreamed up after Tropical Malady and other films that have this green jungle world. I want to talk about the transformation of civilization. I set up the film in this snow landscape, with the idea of the future being played by the old, aging actress from the old science-fiction movies that we grew up watching. It’s like Uncle Boonmee, but about the dying of science fiction that we know of. The main setpiece of the film is the Starship Enterprise, dying in the middle of this snow landscape. And all these actresses, like Jane Fonda from Barbarella and other actresses, and from other science fiction, trying to trace back their own memory. Science fiction is the past, and things just keep changing. In the film, there is a storm that just keeps changing the landscape. There is a huge storm that just wipes out a mountain. It is a super special-effects film. [Laughs.]

AVC: Say someone gave you all the money you needed to make Utopia. Do you mean really Jane Fonda, or an actress playing her?

AW: No, I need her and the other actresses. [Laughs.] I actually went to L.A. and talked to an actress who played a doctor in Star Trek. What’s her name? I’m very sorry I forgot her name.

AVC: Gates McFadden?

AW: Oh yes, I think that was the girl. She was very interested in the project. And then I went to talk to my hero, Ray Bradbury. I really wanted to just talk with him to get inspiration, but the dream scenario is to work with him. We were serious in the beginning, but then we were like, “Oh, this is getting very out of hand.” It is a very personal film, but it needs a lot of Hollywood references.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:02 am 

Patrick Stewart has revealed he would ’embrace’ the opportunity to reprise his iconic role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard should Quentino Tarantino’s newly revealed “Star Trek” feature require his services.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm 

Honestly, I would go for Picard and the TNG crew in this, because they really got screwed out of a proper send-off film anyway, and I always loathed the Abrams Trek cast, to a person. Also, if Tarantino could get Shatner (not necessarily Kirk) to cameo in some way, too, that would be amazing.