Lost Films

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
antnield

Re: Lost Films

#351 Post by antnield » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Love, Life and Laughter (1923), one of the BFI's Most Wanted, has been found in the Netherlands. (Link in Dutch.)

EDIT: Plenty more info, including the film's pressbook, now up on the BFI website.

Tommaso

#352 Post by Tommaso » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 am

Fantastic news, especially as the copy seems to be in surprisingly good shape, as the Dutch article indicates. I guess we can hope for a resto and release by the BFI?

MichaelB

#353 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 am

Tommaso wrote:I guess we can hope for a resto and release by the BFI?
A very safe bet, I'd have thought.

colinr0380

#354 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Yes, Bryony Dixon, the BFI Silent Film Curator was on the BBC Radio 4's Today programme this morning talking about the find, that it is a nitrate film print with colour tinting and that the film will be restored with the Dutch Film Archive.

captveg

#355 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:05 pm

Very cool.

L.A.

#356 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Norway Returns a Rare Silent Film to China

EDIT: hopefully the link now works.
Last edited by L.A. on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#357 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Useless link (for me, at least). Care to tell us alittle bit? ;-}

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#358 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Updated, 5:55 a.m.ET | In a gesture that could help ease relations between Norway and China, strained since the awarding of the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to the imprisoned democracy advocate Liu Xiaobo, the National Library of Norway has returned a long-lost Chinese silent film.

A print of “The Cave of the Silken Web,” released in 1927 during a vibrant era in Chinese filmmaking, was discovered in the library’s archives in 2011. It is believed to be the only existing copy of the film, which was directed by Dan Duyu and is based on an episode from the Chinese classic novel “Journey to the West.”

Roger Josevold, the acting national librarian, presented the restored film to the China Film Archive in Beijing on Tuesday, according to the National Library of Norway’s website. The government-affiliated archive documents Chinese film history and preserves and restores classic films.

“The Cave of the Silken Web,” or Pan Si Dong (盘丝洞) in Chinese, received its Norwegian premiere in Oslo in January 1929, with Norwegian and Chinese subtitles, according to Agence France-Presse. It was the first Chinese film to be shown in Norway, Yang Lina, of the China Film Archive, said in an interview.

To mark the film’s return, she said, the archive was holding a public screening of the film Tuesday evening, with live piano accompaniment.

Surviving Chinese films from that era are a rarity today. The film industry in mainland China enjoyed vigorous growth in the early 20th century, with prominent studios in Shanghai churning out hugely popular romance, martial arts and dramatic films. After 1949, however, when the Communists emerged victorious from the civil war, filmmaking became a vehicle less for entertainment than for political rallying.

Since the 1990s, the industry has seen a resurgence along with China’s broader economic liberalization and opening up. The government also now recognizes filmmaking as an important tool of cultural influence.

The return of the film follows another restoration of historical relics from Norway to China. Under an agreement reached in December, a Norwegian museum announced it was returning seven columns taken from the old Summer Palace in Beijing, which were acquired by a Norwegian cavalry officer more than a century ago.

These moves may help pave the way for the resumption of regular diplomatic contacts between China and Norway. China suspended bilateral talks with Norway after the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded the Peace Prize to Mr. Liu, who is serving an 11-year prison term for helping to write the political manifesto Charter 08.

Beijing demanded an apology from the Norwegian government, which insisted that even though the Nobel Committee is appointed by the Norwegian Parliament, it has no control over the awarding of the prize and therefore could not apologize. However, the Norwegian foreign minister, Borge Brende, who took office last October, has publicly called improving ties with China a key priority.

L.A.

#360 Post by L.A. » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Numero Trois

#361 Post by Numero Trois » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Lime Kiln Field Day (1913) -
NY Times wrote:For decades, the seven reels from 1913 lay unexamined in the film archives of the Museum of Modern Art. Now, after years of research, a historic find has emerged: what MoMA curators say is the earliest surviving footage for a feature film with a black cast.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/nyreg ... ref=movies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

antnield

#362 Post by antnield » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Essanay production of Sherlock Holmes, starring William Gillette and directed by Arthur Berthelet, has been found by the French Cinematheque.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#363 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm

These are only "lost films" in the most literal sense (i.e., they're on 16mm), but since we don't have a "lost TV shows" thread and I don't think it's worth making one: The BFI has found two episodes of At Last the 1948 Show among David Frost's private collections.

tele1962

#364 Post by tele1962 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:41 am

Just been reading this on how The Alamo's original elements might be lost:

http://digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/052814_1330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thornycroft

#365 Post by Thornycroft » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:05 pm

The current situation with The Alamo (as summarised from the posts made by Robert Harris over at HTF) is that MGM have contracted HTV to telecine and colour-correct the lone 70mm roadshow print for possible Blu-Ray release. The only problem with this is that the roadshow version is already beyond a proper restoration, the existing elements can be used to create a decent looking Blu-Ray but nothing beyond that.

The original elements for the shorter release version are what desperately need a restoration if they are to be viable for any type of large format screening (4K, 70mm) in the future. MGM currently believes that the elements are pristine and require no preservation efforts whatsoever.

There's plenty of extra details available from Mr Harris at the 55-page thread over on HTF but it currently resembles a gargantuan pit of despair and may be hazardous to your health.

jvdsq

#366 Post by jvdsq » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:41 pm

antnield wrote:Essanay production of Sherlock Holmes, starring William Gillette and directed by Arthur Berthelet, has been found by the French Cinematheque.
Great news!

I'm hoping that some of those early lost Charlie Chan films will be found eventually.

Does anyone have any current information on those lost films? In particular, I would love to see Charlie Chan Carries On (1931), starring Warner Oland.

Marwood

Missing Oswald the Lucky Rabitt found in Norway

#367 Post by Marwood » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:12 am

The news has finally broken about the discovery and restoration several months ago of a missing Oswald the Lucky Rabbit found in Norway, “Empty Socks”, which apparently is the first Christmas themed Disney production.

A friend of mine was involved with the discovery and he has confirmed that this is not the original 1927 silent version, but a 1930s reissue with synchronized soundtrack.

The film will be screened in Oslo on December 17th with another Oswald short Tall Timber. I am very much looking forward to attending this event.

The link below is for the article in Norwegian.

http://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/Disney ... Y.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dx23

#368 Post by dx23 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:33 pm

That's pretty cool. Any other differences besides the synchronized soundtrack?

manicsounds

#369 Post by manicsounds » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Yahoo article on Disney's "Empty Socks" (English)
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/lost-and-f ... 64977.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tcawood

Re: Lost Films and their value

#370 Post by tcawood » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with a question for a screenplay I'm writing that has King Kong Appears in Edo as a plot device.

What I'm looking for is a steer on what it's approx value would be if it were to come up for auction (as a complete film), and how many reels it would likely to have been.

Many thanks in advance

Anthony

stemitz

#371 Post by stemitz » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 am

Hello

I am huge fan of japanesese cinematography, especially the 60-70 decades, and my mind considers the fact than one of films of Master Masaki Kobayashi named "Nippon-no seishun" AKA "Hymn to a tired man" has never been releasted on dvd or any other medium. The picture was filmed in the top condition od Masaki Kobayayashi in year 1968 and a large number of cinemaniacs are craving to see this movie in any quality. Are there any chances for DVD release of this film in the immediate future?
I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter.

I will be thankful for any response.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#372 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Korean Film Archive announces recovery of 94 lost films, including early works by Lee Man-hee and Im Kwon-taek.

zedz

#373 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:Korean Film Archive announces recovery of 94 lost films, including early works by Lee Man-hee and Im Kwon-taek.
Amazing news. Lee Man-Hee is probably the most important discovery I've made from the Korean Film Archive's series of releases, so I'm delighted that one of his films has been recovered.

manicsounds

#374 Post by manicsounds » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:07 am

goalieboy82

#375 Post by goalieboy82 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtDnqcs786Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;