Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen, 1984)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Mr Sausage

Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen, 1984)

#1 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:32 am

DISCUSSION ENDS MONDAY, April 1st.

Members have a two week period in which to discuss the film before it's moved to its dedicated thread in The Criterion Collection subforum. Please read the Rules and Procedures.

This thread is not spoiler free. This is a discussion thread; you should expect plot points of the individual films under discussion to be discussed openly. See: spoiler rules.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

I encourage members to submit questions, either those designed to elicit discussion and point out interesting things to keep an eye on, or just something you want answered. This will be extremely helpful in getting discussion started. Starting is always the hardest part, all the more so if it's unguided. Questions can be submitted to me via PM.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen, 1984)

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:14 pm

I feel like this movie is the secret sneak attack of Woody Allen’s filmography. I liked it okay when I first saw it, but something about it kept me coming back for return visits, and now it’s one of my favorite Allens and is a Thanksgiving-Time viewing staple— I think it may have even been someone on this board talking about revisiting it every holiday season that spurred me on to trying it out myself

bearcuborg

#3 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

The eyeball joke is perhaps my favorite delivery of his in all of his movies.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

That and “Ahhh-geee-TAH...” are the first things that come to mind when I think of this film

hearthesilence

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Allen and Farrow had quite a run together before it obviously came to a terrible end. I think this was Farrow's third film with Allen, but it's the first where she really got to step out and do the sort of role that no one else would have given her.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm half tempted to argue it is his funniest film because of how well he adapts his comedy to his visual sense. The framing of a lot of scenes is simply funny.

hearthesilence

#7 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:36 pm

It's certainly funny, but I would say it's his warmest film, at least in memory. Sarcasm, severe criticism and self-pity are fairly common elements in his films, but those elements aren't that prominent this time around - it's not what I'd call a soft film, but there's a strong, genuine sense of affection among all the characters. It's primarily driven by that as it's all about a manager who goes the extra mile for his hard-luck and possibly talentless clients, but you even get that from the story's framing device of old showbiz pros talking about Danny at the Carnegie Deli.

Slaphappy

#8 Post by Slaphappy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Never seen this before. Wonderful pacing. I loved the wisecracking storytelling drive and the very few and very brief moments of peace and quiet towards the end.