New York City Repertory Cinema

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

New York City Repertory Cinema

#1 Post by Drucker » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:25 pm

I thought there was an NYC-dedicated movie theater thread, but couldn't find one, so the occasion of the opening of Metrograph, seems a good time to start a thread.

This article previews some of what will be playing in the first two months, including:

Jean Eustache Restrospective (including The Mother and the Whore, Mes Petites Amoureuses and Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes.)
Tsai Ming-Ling's Afternoon
Touki Bouki, Barry Lyndon, Von Sternberg's Crime and Punishment, The Devil Probably, and more, all on 35mm or 16mm.

beamish13

Re: New York City Repertory Cinema

#3 Post by beamish13 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm

The Metrograph looks phenomenal. I've become somewhat frustrated/disillusioned with L.A.'s Cinefamily, which has long been hyped as the great art house savior of the West Coast, and I think Metrograph's model seems much more fresh and authentic. The handwritten list of titles they're interested in booking that was posted on their Facebook past made my adrenaline spike.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4 Post by Drucker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 pm

What Eustache films should I buy tickets to besides Mother and the Whore.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes
My Little Loves

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:07 pm

They're all worthwhile, and this might be your only chance. Le Cochon is a hell of a tough watch, but it's an amazing film. Blood of the Beasts meets Jeanne Dielman.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Second Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes. I think I was the only one to vote for it in the 60s List

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#8 Post by Drucker » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 pm

MOMI is playing Badlands and Days of Heaven this Sunday. I emailed them and they told me these are archival prints (MOMI played a Badlands print last summer that was sourced from the 4k restoration.)

Anyway, those interested in original color timing of Badlands should surely attend. I have tickets for the Eustache films airing at the same time, so probably going to miss these unfortunately.

beamish13

#9 Post by beamish13 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:33 am

god, I hope those Eustache films come to the West Coast. The Mother and the Whore has screened twice at the Cinefamily and, I think, the Vancouver Cinematheque, but I can't recall any of his other works coming here in recent years.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#10 Post by Drucker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Film Forum is screening The Kid on Father's Day. Part of the Film Forum Jr. series.

Interestingly, the film is advertised as a 68 minute DCP (whereas the Criterion edition is the 53-minute cut.)

aox

#11 Post by aox » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Some very loose acquaintances of mine have opened a new theater in Chinatown called the Metrograph.

It's pretty wonderful. The head programmer used to work at BAM.

hearthesilence

#12 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 pm

I believe Drucker started this thread on more or less that very subject. Is Jake Perlin still running Film Desk then?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#13 Post by Drucker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:32 pm

aox wrote:Some very loose acquaintances of mine have opened a new theater in Chinatown called the Metrograph.

It's pretty wonderful. The head programmer used to work at BAM.
You are certainly correct. Saw Barry Lyndon and Mother and the Whore there. No projectionist problems. Comfortable seats with quite possibly more legroom than any other theater. And a great schedule thus far!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#14 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:34 pm

According to their Facebook page, Sunshine Cinema says their screening of Blade Runner will be the last.

I've always been shocked that Blade Runner seems conspicuously absent from the repertory circuit. Never understand why. Does anyone know what the deal with screening it is? Could this Facebook poster (who apparently works for the cinema) be right?

I called and they said they are just screening a blu ray of the film, not a DCP or print, so I'm torn to go. But if this really was the last chance in the near future to see it in a theater I may go. Anybody have any insight into how this stuff works?

Werewolf by Night

#15 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:57 pm

I would venture a guess that Warner Bros is planning a full theatrical re-release of the film before the sequel comes out. They don't want competition from indie and rep cinemas, so they're (probably temporarily) not licensing screenings.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#16 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Well if that's the case I can be patient. The idea of going to a midnight screening of a blu-ray when I don't actually live in the city is much less than exciting.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm

hearthesilence

#18 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Nice - may see Golden Coach. I heard the restored ending is actually messed up on the Criterion DVD (and sure as hell looks it), and that it should look fine on circulating prints.

TMDaines

#19 Post by TMDaines » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:49 am

Film or digital, I couldn't really care (in fact I'd prefer digital over a worn print any day), but that line up of films sounds amazing.

FrauBlucher

#20 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Film Forum Summer Calendar
Some Highlites: Anna and Jean Luc retro, Fritz Lang's Destiny, Blood Simple and 4k resto of Heaven Can Wait.

Werewolf by Night

#21 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:46 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:4k resto of Heaven Can Wait
The Lubitsch, in case anyone was wondering.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#22 Post by Drucker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Also prints of La Grande Illusion, Army of Shadows, Pierret Le Fou...should be of interest for those interested in comparing blu-ray presentations!

beamish13

#23 Post by beamish13 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Film Forum Summer Calendar
Some Highlites: Anna and Jean Luc retro, Fritz Lang's Destiny, Blood Simple and 4k resto of Heaven Can Wait.
Some great-looking stuff, particularly the Downey films and female director spotlight (Wanda!). Interesting to see how many of those prints had to be imported from the West Coast; if the Forum wasn't a nonprofit, they wouldn't be getting them.

FrauBlucher

#24 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Drucker wrote:Also prints of La Grande Illusion, Army of Shadows, Pierret Le Fou...should be of interest for those interested in comparing blu-ray presentations!
I skimmed it quickly. Didn't notice some of these. Nice!

beamish13

#25 Post by beamish13 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Please, don't miss Went the Day Well if you haven't seen Janus' 35mm print. Stunning restoration!