Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#526 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 pm

A slower week next week but its still a good one. The Grandmaster is getting its first TV showing on Film4 on Thursday 16th November at 11.35 p.m. - I assume that its going to be the re-edited US release version with apparent added emphasis on the young Bruce Lee at the end (the listings have the running time at two hours and ten minutes - the length of the Hong Kong version - but for the TV screening at least half an hour of adverts need to be factored in which would take the running time closer to the 107 minute US version), so I'll be interested to see how it compares to the 'international' version. But I'd only emphasise that its probably best not to go to this with the mindset that it will be all martial arts spectacle - there is some of that but its much, much more interesting if seen as less an action film than another gorgeously bittersweet tale of yearning, multiplying the doomed romantic notions outward into a wonderfully moving nostalgia for lost opportunities, lost loves, lost roles in life, lost families and communities under political turmoil, all slipping away with the passage of time and in a haze of opium smoke. Plus it really feels like Wong Kar-Wai's tribute to the films of Sergio Leone, especially Once Upon A Time In The West and Once Upon A Time In America.

And Phase IV is being repeated for the first time in a couple of decades on Film4 at 11.40 p.m. on Tuesday 14th November. This is the only film directed by Saul Bass, who was behind some of the most memorable title sequences in cinema, especially those for Hitchcock (though as domino pointed out in the horror list thread it is ironic therefore that Phase IV features very muted titles! Though that aspect does chillingly pay off at the end!). I'm assuming that this is going to be the earlier version that truncates the psychedelic trip ending, as that was the version shown on the previous screenings of the film back in the 1990s, but I'll be curious to see if that's any different too!

While on Saturday 11th November Channel 4 have the premiere of the time travel muddle Terminator: Genisys at 9 p.m. (still worth watching for Schwarzenegger and the small part that J.K. Simmons plays), BBC2 have some canny counterprogramming on at the same time with Effie Gray (the muse of artist John Everett Millais). And BBC1 have the first of a four part new adaptation of Howard's End starting at 9 p.m. on Sunday 12th November.

And the Indian film season continues at 2 a.m. on Wednesday 15th November with the unfortunately titled road trip comedy Finding Fanny.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

GaryC

#527 Post by GaryC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am

There's a somewhat belated UK TV premiere on Film 4 on Sunday at 6.55pm - Tomorrow When the War Began. It did well in Australia (I saw it in Melbourne on opening night in 2010) and New Zealand, but rather sank elsewhere, so the proposed sequels never happened - the John Marsden novel it's based on is the start of a series of seven, with a follow-up trilogy. They did have another go at the story as a six-part TV miniseries broadcast in Australia in 2016. (Pedantic note: there's no comma in the title of the film, but there is one in the title of the novel.)

jlnight

#528 Post by jlnight » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

The Darkest Universe, Mon 20th November, Film4. From the makers of Black Pond and the C4 show Flowers.

Children of the Corn, apparently the 1984 version, Tues 21st November, Horror.

The Great Silence (The Big Silence), Wed 22nd November, Movies4Men. Appears in the morning so probably cut in some way!

Paul Schrader's Cat People is due on Horror at the end of the month while Talking Pictures TV is due to go on bogstandard Freeview on the 30th, so the likes of All The Right Noises, Lunch Hour and Beat Girl might be on rotation on free-to-air telly at some point.

reaky

#529 Post by reaky » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am

I’ve just noticed that Film Four is having a mini-Budd Boetticher season this week, showing Decision at Sundown and Comanche Station (Monday 14th), The Tall T (Tuesday) and Ride Lonesome (Wednesday).

colinr0380

#530 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:14 pm

It was the shorter end sequence version of Phase IV shown on Film4 last night, but I still love re-watching that film! This time around I finally noticed that some of the music for the film, specifically the "montage sequences" was made by avant-garde composer Stomu Yamashta, with Phase IV falling right into the middle of his other two big film credits: doing "sound sculptures" in Robert Altman's dreamy 1972 film Images and eventually composing a number of pieces in Nicolas Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth!

His only other major film credit is in Paul Mazurksy's 1982 film Tempest, which I'm quite interested in tracking down now!
___

Not too much next week, though Hirokazu Kore-eda's I Wish is getting repeated at 2 a.m. on Tuesday 21st November.
jlnight wrote:The Darkest Universe, Mon 20th November, Film4. From the makers of Black Pond and the C4 show Flowers.
Along with The Darkest Universe, BBC2 have another recent British film premiere at 11.10 p.m. on Sunday 19th November, The Lighthouse

Channel 5 have the premiere of Jason Statham crime thriller Wild Card at 9 p.m. on Thursday 23rd November. Which is most intriguing as being based on a William Goldman novel, Heat, previously made back in 1986 starring Burt Reynolds (It also looks to be the first William Goldman screenplay to be filmed since he adapted Stephen King's Dreamcatcher for the screen in 2003!)

And the Indian film season continues with biographical athlete drama Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (or Run, Milkha, Run) at 2.25 a.m. on Friday 24th November.

jlnight

#531 Post by jlnight » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Ex Machina, Sat 25th November, Channel 4. Boyhood is on the previous night, having already been premiered on Film4 back in March.

Cat People (1982), Sun 26th November, Horror.

Take Me High, Tues 28th November, London Live. A Cliff Richard film that has, according to wiki, been released on VHS but never had a retail DVD release, only being given away with a newspaper!

colinr0380

#532 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:03 pm

There are quite a few new films next week but aside from the above mentioned Ex Machina there is not too much that seems particularly notable - Wrath of the Titans is showing on ITV2 at 8.05 p.m. on Sunday 26th November and Solace (which is apparently based on a story that was meant to be a sequel to Se7en?!?) is on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Monday 27th November. Sasha Baron Cohen's film The Dictator is getting a very low key premiere, tucked away at 1 a.m. in the early hours of Wednesday 29th November on ITV2. And Bullingdon club-style antics go on in The Riot Club on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 29th November.

Channel 5 is also going to town on the Christmas themed TV movie premieres currently (if you've ever wondered what happened to such big in the 1990s names as Natasha Henstridge, and Tom Arnold, they've popped up as a teacher leading choir battles and a modern day Scrooge figure so far! Or Jake Busey and Denise Richards in A Christmas Reunion) It is fascinating to see all the repeated tropes of these Christmas TV movies: all the men are in the armed forces or just been honourably discharged; all the women are harassed big city career women trying to juggle very important meetings with their whimsically Christmas obsessed extended families; the patriarchs and matriarchs are there to constantly remind of the religious nature of the occasion; and everyone is supremely worried about all the work that they have to do for Christmas despite every single scene often featuring more Christmas decorations and lights than all of Blackpool illuminations combined! Every door has the perfect holly wreath. Every room has the perfect massive Christmas tree with all the baubles in the optimal position. (There was even the wholesome TV movie equivalent of a sleazy dive bar in one scene of a film that still featured lots of Christmas trees and tinsel! It puts my lackadaisical decorating plans to shame!). There is a great game to be played with all of these films to guess where in the background (or even foreground!) of each scene (and it is every scene) the Christmas decorations turn up! Watching most of these films I end up feeling more sympathy for all of the crew having to relentlessly festively decorate every location (presumably in the middle of August) than for any of the characters in front of the camera!

I can take or leave all the above but, despite not looking much better, I'm interested in checking out the goofy looking Seventh Son (from Sergei Bodrov who is probably still best known for his Tolstoy adaptation Prisoner of the Mountains, though his film Mongol with Tadanobu Asano as the nascent Genghis Khan was also quite good!) is on Channel 5 at 9 p.m. on Thursday 30th November.

Other than that BBC2 has a documentary Joe Orton Laid Bare at 9 p.m. on Saturday 25th November. And Last Men In Aleppo is on BBC4 at 10 p.m. on Monday 27th November. The Indian film season continues at 2 a.m. on Tuesday 28th November with stewardess versus terrorist thriller Neerja.

Probably the biggest news of the week though is that apparently that Talking Pictures TV channel is coming to Freeview television from Thursday 30th November. If that is the case, I'll be able to start recommending things from that schedule too! For example Thursday evening's schedule features Look Back In Anger and the Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastrioanni film (that recently got a Criterion release) A Special Day. And Friday 1st December features Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, though I'm most interested in the schedule for that day by Double Confession which features a bizarre cast including Peter Lorre, Naunton Wayne and Mona Washbourne!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

jlnight

#533 Post by jlnight » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 pm

It appears that Children of the Corn was the 2009 version (already shown) and not the 1984 version after all.

Film4 will be showing a 'Documentary Week' with the following:
20 Feet From Stardom, Mon 4th December.
No Home Movie, late Tues 5th December.
Uncle Howard, late Weds 6th December.
All This Panic, late Thu 7th December.
Precinct Seven Five, late Fri 8th December.
Heart Of A Dog, late Sat 9th December, previously shown.

No Home Movie is the Chantal Akerman film, Uncle Howard is the film about Howard Brookner.

Taxi Tehran, Sun 3rd December, BBC4.

colinr0380

#534 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:19 pm

20 Feet From Stardom was the film that won the Best Documentary Academy Award in 2014, beating out The Act of Killing and The Square.

I'm curious if any of Chantal Akerman's films ever been shown on UK television before this showing of No Home Movie.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#535 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Channel 4 actually commissioned a short from her (Family Business) as part of their remarkable Visions series. The short and a number of other entries from the series are available on YouTube courtesy of the producers.

antnield

#536 Post by antnield » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 am

colinr0380 wrote:I'm curious if any of Chantal Akerman's films ever been shown on UK television before this showing of No Home Movie.
Night and Day had a Channel 4 showing around the mid-nineties.

jlnight

#537 Post by jlnight » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 am

The Fanciful Norwegian and antnield are both right - Night and Day (Nuit et Jour) was on Channel 4 in 2000, Family Business (as part of Visions) was on in November 1984. The only other ones were Les Rendez-vous D'Anna and Toute Une Nuit (All Night Long), both on Channel 4, both in 1984 and both in the Eleventh Hour strand.

colinr0380

#538 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm

I'll just add times to jlnight's post:
jlnight wrote:Film4 will be showing a 'Documentary Week' with the following:
20 Feet From Stardom, Mon 4th December. [11.15 p.m.]
No Home Movie, late Tues 5th December. [1.35 a.m.]
Uncle Howard, late Weds 6th December. [1.05 a.m.] (I hadn't noted until just now that this relates to the Burroughs documentary recently released by Criterion (both in the US and UK)!)
All This Panic, late Thu 7th December. [1.15 a.m.]
Precinct Seven Five, late Fri 8th December. [1.40 a.m.]
Heart Of A Dog, late Sat 9th December, previously shown. [2.15 a.m.]

No Home Movie is the Chantal Akerman film, Uncle Howard is the film about Howard Brookner.

Taxi Tehran, Sun 3rd December, BBC4.[11 p.m.]
A few other interesting films next week: there's another Fred Olen Ray-directed TV movie on Channel 5 at 2 p.m. Tuesday 5th December - The Christmas Apprentice. As well as the documentary films Film4 have a couple of other films getting a first screening: The Choir at 6.55 p.m. on Tuesday 5th December and Black Sea (by Kevin McDonald, better known for his documentaries) at 9 p.m. on Thursday 7th December. And does everyone remember when parkour was a thing? At the exact same time as Black Sea over on Channel 5 there is the English language remake of the French action film District 13 (including one of the original film's stars and the late Paul Walker): Brick Mansions.

Though by far the best film of the week (though any week that also features films by Chantal Akerman and Jafar Panahi is a notable one!), and tucked away on Channel 4 at 3.10 a.m. (!) on Tuesday 5th December is the premiere of Hirokazu Kore-eda's Like Father, Like Son.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#539 Post by jlnight » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 am

I can confirm that Talking Pictures is up and running on standard Freeview. This means we can start highlighting upcoming titles like:

Yield to the Night, Mon 4th December.
Cool It Carol!, late Weds 6th December. (Already screened on London Live)
The Final Programme, late Thu 7th December.
The Shout, late Fri 8th December.
Sapphire, late Mon 11th December.

colinr0380

#540 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:39 am

Sadly Talking Pictures TV doesn't seem to have come to my area, though I'm in a spot where any signal is a weak one (we never got Channel 5 here until the digital switchover in the late 2000s)

So I'm currently stuck with the normal schedule, which this week involves The Second Best Marigold Hotel (Channel 4) and Chappie (Channel 5) facing off at the same time of 9 p.m. on Sunday 10th December. I think one involves a Johnny 5-like robot running a hotel in India and falling in love with Richard Gere; whilst the other has teenage runaway Judi Dench getting adopted by a South African criminal streetgang, getting tattoos and doing raps. Or something like that. Either way Dev Patel's instigating the hijinks!

Other than that it is a quiet run up to Christmas week. There are two new UK-made films getting their first screenings: Departure on Channel 4 at 1.55 a.m. on Monday 11th December, and Hyena on Film4 at 11.15 p.m. on Friday 15th December.

Though the filmmaker with the most exposure of the week is David Winning, who gets premieres of two of his TV movies, The Rooftop Christmas Tree (Channel 5, 1.30 p.m. Monday 11th December) and The Mistletoe Promise (Channel 5, 3.15 p.m. Tuesday 12th December), plus a repeat of The Holiday Tree (Channel 4, 12.25 p.m. Thursday 14th December)!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#541 Post by jlnight » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 am

Would a retune be any good to you? If you can get Yesterday (Freeview 19) you should be able to get Talking Pictures, according to their publicity. I watched Yield to the Night when it was on and spotted the shot that was used on The Smiths' 'Singles' compilation front cover!

The Criminal, starts Thu 14th December, Talking Pictures. Other Losey films like The Servant and Blind Date are scheduled soon as well.

Silver Dream Racer, starts Mon 18th December, Talking Pictures.

Gonks Go Beat, midday on Tues 19th December, Talking Pictures.

Compulsion, Weds 20th December, Talking Pictures.

Alternatively you could stick with CBS Action and their Cannon films during the Christmas and New Year period including Missing in Action 2: The Beginning, which according to Electric Boogaloo was switched with Missing in Action because it was the weaker film.

colinr0380

#542 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Sadly retuning does not help. I tried a few times on the Thursday and Friday. We don't get Yesterday either in this area. Or CBS Action, 5*, 5USA, ITV3 (though weirdly we do get ITV4!), etc. I remember back in the analogue days our area was served by a substation of a minor transmitter, or something like that, which is why the signal has always been patchy (the High Peak area has always sort of fallen in the middle of a 'dead area' for lots of services, so television signals are not unique!). And I suppose digital through an aerial, rather than a satellite box, has just the same issues of coverage. Though you never know, occasionally channels just appear out of the ether for no apparent reason, so it could turn up one day!

jlnight

#543 Post by jlnight » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 pm

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Sat 23rd December, BBC2, after two eps of Feud: Bette and Joan. Mildred Pierce is on earlier.

Over the Top, Sun 24th December, CBS Action.

Move the aerial to a different position? It's a bit trial and error but our set up has one of the aerials balanced on top of a wardrobe. Ridiculous, but that's the only way to get all the channels possible!

colinr0380

#544 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Probably the biggest new film next week is Agatha Christie adaptation Crooked House on Channel 5 at 9 p.m. Sunday 17th December, which features quite a cast: Glenn Close, Terence Stamp, Gillian Anderson, Julian Sands and Christina Hendricks!

At 11.15 p.m. on Sunday 17th December, Film4 are showing Love Is Strange. And at 10.40 p.m. on Friday 22nd December the horror channel has 'trapped in office building after hours with a killer' film P2 which is presumably getting a belated premiere due to its Christmas setting! I seem to remember it being the film that most capitalised on the sense that Wes Bentley's performance in American Beauty could be pushed into more disturbing areas! It is watchable but not too surprising - that TV movie Trapped starring Kathleen Quinlan is still the best version of this kind of 'cat and mouse through an after hours office building, preferably at Christmas' thriller story - but I do also remember it featuring that strange trope that turned up in a couple of films around this time at the climax:
SpoilerShow
in which the heroine lets the killer live until, beyond everything else that has happened, he crosses the line by calling her the 'c' word, at which point she kills him!
And BBC2 are showing the first two episodes of that Feud: Betty and Joan miniseries with Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange playing Bette Davis and Joan Crawford during the making of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane at 9 p.m. Saturday 16th December. Apparently over Christmas this has inspired the BBC to dig out Whatever Happened To Baby Jane for a rare TV screening, as well as Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte (also Mildred Pierce and All About Eve. Sadly no Bette Davis starring The Nanny or The Anniversary versus Joan Crawford's run of Strait-Jacket, Trog or Berserk! though!), but the first in the small Bette Davis/Joan Crawford season is a repeat of the 1947 film Possessed at 3.20 p.m. on Saturday 16th December.

Also on BBC2 there are a few new episodes of the Talking Pictures series dotted throughout the schedules, which is the series that gathers together archive interviews with famous names from BBC talk shows over the decades. There is one on Roger Moore at 5.05 p.m. on Saturday 16th December, and one focusing on Jane Fonda (fingers crossed for an in depth discussion of Tout va Bien! with Terry Wogan! :wink: ) at 1 p.m. on Sunday 17th December.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#545 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Lots of big films on over the Christmas fortnight - Jurassic World, Gone Girl, The Lego Movie, the Leonardo DiCaprio version of The Great Gatsby, the Kenneth Branagh version of Cinderella, both of the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes films, Big Hero 6, Flight, the Michael Fassbender western Slow West, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Into The Woods, Maleficent, the Shaun the Sheep Movie, Gary Marshall's penultimate film New Year's Eve (on New Year's Eve), Ron Howard's Beatles documentary. Though the big schedule clash is on New Year's Day between the Bond film Spectre, Darren Aronofsky's Noah and Pitch Perfect 2!

But while that's a great Hollywood film line up (probably the best Christmas schedule for them in a few years) there is not too much offbeat or surprising, and aside for a repeat of The Grandmaster and Police Story: Lockdown on Film4, little in the way of subtitled fare. Though there is one thing that stands out: on Thursday 28th December at 1.35 a.m. Film4 are showing the darkly comic Greek film about men involved in escalating games of seeing how they measure up against each other, Chevalier. (On a tangent, the director and writer Athina Rachel Tsangari previously directed Attenberg and after Chevalier also did the making of documentary "After Before" about the Greek filming of Before Midnight that features on the Criterion set of the films!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#546 Post by jlnight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte, Sat 30th December, BBC2. All About Eve is on earlier.

Talking Pictures has the following:
The Family Way, Fri 22nd December.
Dulcima, late Sun 24th December.
The Servant, Tues 26th December.
The Innocents, Sun 31st December... then The Beauty Jungle.

Horror are going to be doing a four-film Wes Craven season including Shocker, People Under The Stairs, Serpent and the Rainbow and My Soul To Take.

jlnight

#547 Post by jlnight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 am

Gone in Sixty Seconds (1974), late Sun 31st December, Movies4Men.

Richard III (1955), late Tues 2nd January, Talking Pictures.

Defence of the Realm, Weds 3rd January, Talking Pictures.

jlnight

#548 Post by jlnight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 am

Blind Date, early Fri 5th January, Talking Pictures.
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years, Fri 5th January, Channel 4.
The Serpent And The Rainbow, Sat 6th January, Horror.
Penny Gold, late Sat 6th January, Talking Pictures.
Missing in Action 2: The Beginning and Braddock: Missing in Action 3, Sun 7th January, CBS Action.
Remembrance, Tue 8th January, FilmFour. Shown as part of their brief Gary Oldman season.
Beat Girl, late Tue 8th January, Talking Pictures. Preceded by the Gillian Hills interview which I presume is the same one on the Flipside release.

jlnight

#549 Post by jlnight » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 pm

More from Talking Pictures:
Bitter Harvest, late Fri 12th January.
A Taste of Honey, Sat 13th January.
The Sandwich Man, Sun 14th January.
Richard's Things, followed by Room at The Top, Tues 16th January.

Callan, late Fri 12th January, Movies4Men.
Shocker, Sat 13th January, Horror.

colinr0380

#550 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:38 am

This upcoming week is very exciting, though less for new films (though Channel 4 has The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 and Film4 Insidious: Chapter 3 on this evening) and more for repeats. In terms of new to TV films though BBC4 are showing the German film Stations of the Cross on Sunday 7th January at 11 p.m., and also on BBC4 there is an hour long programme on Monday 8th January at 9 p.m. of "Gabriel Byrne on George Bernard Shaw". (I would have titled it "GB on GBS"!)

In terms of repeats of older films, this is an interesting week. The last two episodes of the Feud: Bette and Joan series are this evening, and this afternoon at 3 p.m. BBC2 are showing The Letter. The Indian film The Pool (from the co-director of documentaries American Movie and The Yes Men!) has another screening on Film4 at 2 a.m. on Monday 8th January.

Then Film4 have various items of interest during the week: Robinson Crusoe on Mars at 2.35 p.m. on Monday 8th, Sam Fuller's Fixed Bayonets! at 2.55 p.m. on Tuesday 9th, the Kirk Douglas starring Last Train From Gun Hill at 3.10 p.m. on Wednesday 10th (which is the film that I am most interested in this week), and The File on Thelma Jordon at 12.50 p.m. on Thursday 11th.
jlnight wrote:Remembrance, Tue 8th January, FilmFour. Shown as part of their brief Gary Oldman season
But, as noted by jlnight, the real rarity turns up in Film4's week long season of Gary Oldman films coinciding with the release of The Darkest Hour at cinemas - in amongst JFK, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, there is also a screening of Oldman's first screen role (two years before Mike Leigh's Meantime) Remembrance (which also features a very young Timothy Spall too!), one of the films made and screened during the first year of Channel 4's existence in 1982, at 11.30 p.m. on Tuesday 9th.