Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
thirtyframesasecond

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#351 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:20 am

Robin Davies wrote:I enjoyed it too, and the format is worth repeating if they can find another interesting character to hang it on. (So sad that Bowie is no longer with us. He would have been an excellent choice.)
The best part of the Keith Richards nights for me was "Lost and Found: The Memory Marbles of Anthony Stern" which was a glorious slice of sixties nostalgia that I'd never heard of before. (Not scheduled and apparently not available on the iPlayer either - I guess you had to be there!)
Hopefully it'll be a format they can work with. I'd love to see more curated weekends. Someone give Morrissey a ring - how many kitchen sink dramas do you reckon the BBC can show?

jlnight

#352 Post by jlnight » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:46 pm

London Live have some films coming up:

Madonna of the Seven Moons, Sun 2nd October.

A double bill of Scum and Scrubbers on Thur 6th October.

Four in the Morning and George Sluizer's Crimetime on Saturday 8th October.

And the Lost Weekend format was quite good wasn't it? Tex Avery cartoons, Captain Pugwash, Hancock, Milligan, etc. Morrissey would be a good shout but with the Julien Temple connection maybe John Lydon is the more obvious candidate.

jlnight

#353 Post by jlnight » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:46 pm

They Live, Sat 22nd Oct, Horror Channel.

Hussy, Sat 22nd Oct, London Live.

Young Soul Rebels, Sun 23rd Oct, London Live. (Under the BFI banner apparently)

Wake in Fright, scheduled Weds 26th Oct, Film4.

colinr0380

#354 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm afraid that I completely missed noting that the WWE produced(!) revenge thriller film Dead Man Down, shown on Channel 5 last night featured Isabelle Huppert in the supporting cast, playing Noomi Rapace's deaf mother!

Lots of films next week. Ralph Fiennes owns the weekend with the premiere of both The Invisible Woman on BBC2 Saturday 22nd October at 9 p.m., and then The Grand Budapest Hotel on Channel 4 Sunday 23rd October at 9 p.m.

Film4 starts its "Film Fear" Halloween season with The Last Days on Mars at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 25th October, then the previously noted Wake In Fright at 11.15 p.m. on Wednesday 26th, and then another Australian film Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead at 10.50 p.m. on Friday 28th October. Film4 also have the Sin City sequel, A Dame To Kill For, on at 10 p.m. on Thursday 27th October.

The radio also have some interesting pieces. Radio 3 has a half hour adaptation of two J.G. Ballard short stories, Track 12 and Venus Smiles, at 9.30 p.m. on Saturday 22nd October. Then for three nights in 15 minute episodes from Monday to Wednesday at 10.45 p.m. Radio 4's Book at Bedtime slot is doing an adaptation of Stephen King's recent short story Cookie Jar.

jlnight

#355 Post by jlnight » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:56 am

Eyes Without A Face, scheduled Sat 29th October, Film4.

Burning An Illusion, Sun 30th October, London Live. Like Young Soul Rebels it is being shown under the BFI banner.

The Company of Wolves, Mon 31st October, London Live.

jlnight

#356 Post by jlnight » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:10 pm

More from London Live (sorry):

Repulsion and Preaching to the Perverted, both Thu 3rd November.

Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire, Sat 5th November.

Pressure, Sun 6th November. Shown a couple of years ago, this time the third in the BFI Black London season.

colinr0380

#357 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:15 pm

Just a quick note that The Salt of the Earth is getting its first screening tonight on Film4 at 1 a.m.

Next week BBC4 are showing Weiner on Sunday 6th November at 9 p.m. Also at 9 p.m. on the same day the Horror channel are premiering Antivral.

And there is also a new seven part Stephen Poliakoff series starting at 9 p.m. on BBC2 on Thursday 10th November, Close To The Enemy, which sounds pretty much in his territory, being set just after World War Two and involving a naive British army captain guarding a captured German jet engine scientist and his daughter while sequestered in an opulent but fading hotel, whilst another plot strand involves the hunt for escaped war criminals. (There has to be an incriminating photograph or two in there somewhere given that material and this director!) Apparently Angela Bassett is going to be somewhere in there too.

jlnight

#358 Post by jlnight » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes, Sat 12th November, Horror Channel.

Tunde's Film, Sun 13th November, London Live.

Quest are doing another of their sci-fi seasons on Sundays as well. The 1950s version of The Fly is upcoming.

jlnight

#359 Post by jlnight » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:40 pm

King Solomon's Mines, Sun 13th November, Movie Mix. One of the films featured in the Electric Boogaloo doc on Cannon Films!

The Bed Sitting Room, Sat 19th November, London Live.

The 64 Day Hero: A Boxer's Tale, Sun 20th November, London Live. (BFI Black London season)

The Babadook, Mon 21st November, Film4.

London Live have some very interesting stuff coming up in the next month or two.

colinr0380

#360 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Also on Tuesday 15th November at 11.15 p.m. Film4 are premiering Kelly Reichardt's eco-terrorism drama Night Moves.

And on BBC4 on Sunday 13th November at 10.30 p.m. there is a screening of Ken Loach's Cathy Come Home.

jlnight

#361 Post by jlnight » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 am

Stories We Tell, Tues 22nd November, Film4.

Blood Rage, Sat 26th November, Horror.

The Fly (1958), Sun 27th November, Quest.

We the Ragamuffin (short film), Sun 27th November, London Live.

jlnight

#362 Post by jlnight » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 am

Vivre Sa Vie, Weds 30th November, late night, Film4. Shown as a tribute to Raoul Coutard.

The Stud, Thu 1st December.
The Bitch, Fri 2nd December. Both London Live.

Society, Sat 3rd December, Horror.

jlnight

#363 Post by jlnight » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:25 am

Black Joy, then Fords on Water, both Sun 4th December, both London Live.

colinr0380

#364 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:13 am

Its an excellent week on Film4. Apparently the screening of Godard’s Vivre Sa Vie at 1.45 a.m. in the morning on Thursday 1st December is its first UK television screening, at least according to the Radio Times! (I’m trying to remember back to the last Godard film shown on television and think I have to go back to 2003 or so when BBC 2 showed Eloge d’amour).

Also there’s another chance to see the mini-series version of Carlos, as Film 4 screens it around 1 a.m. in the early mornings of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

And on Film4 Thursday 1st December at 10.45 p.m. there’s the premiere of David Gordon Green’s film Joe, which I think despite being a little heavy handed (major spoilers in the link) in its wider construction has some fantastically handled small moments that make it worthwhile.

jlnight

#365 Post by jlnight » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:20 am

Vivre Sa Vie had a couple of screenings on Channel 4 in the 80s (11/05/83 and 31/08/89).

64 Day Hero, the Franco Rosso film which was on the other night, hasn't been seen since 1986. Fords on Water had one screening in 1985. I don't even know if it currently has a DVD release.

thirtyframesasecond

#366 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:42 am

jlnight wrote:Vivre Sa Vie, Weds 30th November, late night, Film4. Shown as a tribute to Raoul Coutard.

The Stud, Thu 1st December.
The Bitch, Fri 2nd December. Both London Live.

Society, Sat 3rd December, Horror.
I just read that as though Coutard had directed the Jackie Collins' adaptations!!!

Big fan of Society though.

jlnight

#367 Post by jlnight » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:09 am

A couple of Oliver Reed pictures:

Blue Blood, Thu 8th December.
The System, Fri 9th December. Both on London Live. (That's Michael Winner, Reed and Nic Roeg!)

jlnight

#368 Post by jlnight » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Mr. Turner, Mon 5th December, Film4.

Demons, Sat 10th December, Horror. (Yes, Lamberto Bava and Dario Argento's Demons).

Ballet Black, Sun 11th December, London Live. A Stephen Dwoskin film on TV. Well, I never!
I just read that as though Coutard had directed the Jackie Collins' adaptations!!!
If only! Gerry O'Hara directed The Bitch though. He had some kind of respectability didn't he?

colinr0380

#369 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 pm

I've not had the opportunity to see The Bitch (or its companion piece The Stud) as yet but Gerry O'Hara's still a great director! I'd highly recommend any of those BFI Flipside releases of his films, but think The Pleasure Girls is especially good!

At 10.50 p.m. on Wednesday 7th December Film4 has the first showing of Blue Ruin (the previous film from Green Room director Jeremy Saulnier), then on Friday 9th December from 11.00 a.m. to 7.10 p.m. Film4 also has a day of Kirk Douglas films to mark his 100th birthday (Detective Story, Man Without A Star, The Last Sunset and Lonely Are The Brave),

Also for anyone curious about what horror director Fred Olen Ray (of 80s films like Scalps, Evil Space, Cyclone and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, amongst many others!) has been up to recently, it seems that in the last few years his career has shifted gears into Christmas themed TV movies! One of his more recent films is showing at on Channel 5 at 3.20 p.m. on Friday 9th December, A Perfect Christmas List! (Nice to see the chainsaw from the earlier film getting put to a more 'wholesome' use of christmas tree felling!)

GaryC

#370 Post by GaryC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:33 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I've not had the opportunity to see The Bitch (or its companion piece The Stud) as yet but Gerry O'Hara's still a great director! I'd highly recommend any of those BFI Flipside releases of his films, but think The Pleasure Girls is especially good!
I'd agree with that, but I sat through The Bitch in the 80s, shortly after ITV London started broadcasting all through the night. I thought it was pretty dreadful, and the title song over the opening credits is dire as well.

jlnight

#371 Post by jlnight » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:00 am

The Romantic Englishwoman, Thu 15th December, London Live.

To its credit The Bitch was the more watchable of the two films. The Stud I found to be incoherent in its plotting but it did have a couple of disco/nightclub scenes which I swear had members of Legs and Co. dancing in them! The Bitch had some kind of storyline that you could follow and also Cliff from Cheers as a clubber. And Cuba by The Gibson Brothers was on the soundtrack, TOTP pop pickers!

jlnight

#372 Post by jlnight » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:04 am

Frankenhooker, Sat 17th December, Horror.

Get Me to the Crematorium on Time + Hello West Indies, Sun 18th December, London Live. Short films in the BFI Black London season.

The Jack Rosenthal/Jack Gold film The Chain and Julien Temple's Absolute Beginners are scheduled for January.

colinr0380

#373 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:48 pm

colinr0380 wrote:Also for anyone curious about what horror director Fred Olen Ray (of 80s films like Scalps, Evil Space, Cyclone and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, amongst many others!) has been up to recently, it seems that in the last few years his career has shifted gears into Christmas themed TV movies! One of his more recent films is showing at on Channel 5 at 3.20 p.m. on Friday 9th December, A Perfect Christmas List! (Nice to see the chainsaw from the earlier film getting put to a more 'wholesome' use of christmas tree felling!)
Goodness, we're getting a week full of Fred Olen Ray Christmas films right now! Channel 5 are at this very moment screening A Prince For Christmas (about a British accented Prince running from an arranged marriage in the fictional country of 'Europe' to romance a waitress in small town America, in a sort of Doc Hollywood-premised film), A Perfect Christmas List was postponed from last Friday until Tuesday 13th December at 3.15 p.m., and next Friday 16th December at 11.45 a.m. there is very another film in the form of The Christmas Gift! I think this is more Fred Olen Ray than has ever turned up on UK television, certainly more than ever played in one week.

And as if to confirm this weird connection between horror directors and Christmas TV movies, on Monday 19th December at 12 noon Channel 5 are showing A Husband For Christmas, which is directed by Davd DeCoteau, helmer of such 80s horrors as Creepozoids and Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama, amongst many others!

(This is of course all intentionally building up to the ultimate Christmas film made by a horror director: Bob Clark's A Christmas Story on Thursday 22nd December at 1.50 p.m.! :wink: )

jlnight

#374 Post by jlnight » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:11 am

London Live, Sun 8th January:

The Chain
Absolute Beginners
Sidney's Chair + The Homecoming: A Short Film About Ajamu (shorts in the BFI Black London season).

jlnight

#375 Post by jlnight » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:28 am

Walesa: Man of Hope, BBC4.
The Dance of Reality, Film4 (late night).
Both Tues 10th January.
SpoilerShow
Quick quiz: what was the first Jodorowsky film shown on UK television?