Stolen Death (Nyrki Tapiovaara, 1938)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
knives

Stolen Death (Nyrki Tapiovaara, 1938)

#1 Post by knives » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Anyone hear of this movie? All I can seem to find is that it's a thriller and from Finland.

Felix

Re: Varastettu kuolema (Nyrki Tapiovaara, 1938)

#2 Post by Felix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:16 am

This is also mentioned in the Lists Project but worth giving people the nod once again to this wonderful film (for which there are subtitles to answer a question there). It is available in the usual places and from an e-tailer who frequents this site and that is the only way you're going to see it I would guess because no company outside Finland is likely to pick it up.

A useful review here
http://wondersinthedark.wordpress.com/2 ... apiovaara/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from which I will extract this teaser and if this doesn't get your interest then it's obviously not for you. Something for everyone really... Takes a while to really get going but once it does it never falters.

"Stolen Death also has the feel of a silent film, but the influences and styles are far reaching. Nods to the old Scandinavian school are dwarfed by influences from elsewhere. The authorities look like extras from October, the editing recalls Soviet montage and even D.W.Griffith, and there’s just the faintest whiff of Kuleshov’s The Adventures of Mr West. Throw in camera angles that match those of German expressionism, with rooftop chases out of Caligari and whole sequences worthy of Fritz Lang (including an opening that not only evoked M but even Hitchcock’s British films)."

L.A.

#3 Post by L.A. » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:34 pm

National Audiovisual Institute has restored the original director's cut (102 min.) in 4K this year and was shown theatrically last month. Looked stunning, hopefully a DVD/Blu-ray will come out soon.

Worth mentioning that Erik Blomberg (the director of Valkoinen peura / The White Reindeer (1952)) was responsible for the editing, photography, screenplay and production of the film.

nefilim

#4 Post by nefilim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 am

L.A. wrote:National Audiovisual Institute has restored the original director's cut (102 min.) in 4K this year and was shown theatrically last month. Looked stunning, hopefully a DVD/Blu-ray will come out soon.

Worth mentioning that Erik Blomberg (the director of Valkoinen peura / The White Reindeer (1952)) was responsible for the editing, photography, screenplay and production of the film.
Hi,

Could you contact me pls ? Not able to PM you, for some reason, maybe not enought posts. Thanks !