Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregory

Re: Identify This Movie

#1226 Post by Gregory » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 pm

ballmouse wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Does anyone know the western that plays in the theater of the film They Might be Giants?

Clip can be found at https://youtu.be/z-mDyMSrHzA
That's The Redhead from Wyoming

ballmouse

#1227 Post by ballmouse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Gregory wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 pm
ballmouse wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Does anyone know the western that plays in the theater of the film They Might be Giants?

Clip can be found at https://youtu.be/z-mDyMSrHzA
That's The Redhead from Wyoming
Excellent! Thank you!

hearthesilence

#1228 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:44 pm

I think this is a British or Australian film, and it pre-dates 2000. I only saw the final scene, which was playing from a videocassette on a television set.

A woman is in a hospital and she flatlines, and while the doctors and nurses scramble to save her, a man (presumably her boyfriend or husband) starts screaming with a thick brogue something like "What the fuck is this? What the fuck is this???"

She's obviously dead, and when the man goes into the hall, he meets people who are presumably friends and family of the deceased. They grieve for a bit, then we go to the final scene where it's just the man on a bridge, and it's sunset or sunrise. It looks like he's contemplating jumping, but then he hallucinates that deceased woman next to him, as if she's alive and well, and she says something to him before barking or howling at the sky while flailing her arms about. He does the same (I'm guessing they were a crazy couple), and the film ends.

colinr0380

#1229 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Not sure about the specifics of the ending as it has been too long since I last saw it, but it sounds as if it perhaps could be the 1998 film The Revenger's Comedies starring Sam Neill and Helena Bonham Carter (called Sweet Revenge in the US) and based on an Alan Ayckbourn play.

senseabove

#1230 Post by senseabove » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 pm

I saw Pat O'Neill's The Decay of Fiction last month, a 75-minute wander around the decaying Ambassador Hotel in LA super-imposed with a variety of original seediness and noir-stylized scenarios, and larded with semi-obscure quotes from classic Hollywood and noir. There's one that I've been trying to place because I remember thinking "Oofta..." when I heard it in the original movie, but Google is being absolutely useless with something so very unpithy. It goes something like: "There isn't a relationship in the world between a man and a woman of which I wouldn't say: 'Let it be you—oh let it be you!'"

Gregory

#1231 Post by Gregory » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Sudden Fear. The line is from a play within the movie.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1232 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:53 pm

senseabove wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 pm
I saw Pat O'Neill's The Decay of Fiction last month, a 75-minute wander around the decaying Ambassador Hotel in LA super-imposed with a variety of original seediness and noir-stylized scenarios, and larded with semi-obscure quotes from classic Hollywood and noir. There's one that I've been trying to place because I remember thinking "Oofta..." when I heard it in the original movie, but Google is being absolutely useless with something so very unpithy. It goes something like: "There isn't a relationship in the world between a man and a woman of which I wouldn't say: 'Let it be you—oh let it be you!'"
Can I ask how you were fortunate enough to be able to see the film?

senseabove

#1233 Post by senseabove » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Gregory wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 pm
Sudden Fear. The line is from a play within the movie.
Ah! There we go. Thanks muchly. Itch scratched.
swo17 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:53 pm
Can I ask how you were fortunate enough to be able to see the film?
There's a Pat O'Neill exhibit at SFMOMA right now, so Canyon Cinema took it as a prompt to show a 35mm print of Decay at the Roxie theater in SF.

ianthemovie

#1234 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Looking for an mid/late 80s horror movie set at a high school or maybe college, featuring teenage characters, in which the main character's girlfriend repeatedly makes jokes about baking (as in cookies) to relieve stress. I remember the general tone of the movie being slightly campy/comedic. For the longest time I thought it was Hello, Mary Lou: Prom Night II, but I just re-watched it and turns out I was wrong (though the tone is similar). Is it possible I'm thinking of Night of the Creeps? If not, it's in a similar vein.

EDIT: I found out it's Prom Night III: The Last Kiss. I was close!

danmih83

#1235 Post by danmih83 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:18 am

Hello,
I remember seeing this brief scene in a movie probably around 1998-2000, although the movie might be older.
There is a black guy involved in some illegal activities, but i think he is also a police informer (a snitch).. One evening he is on top of his girlfriend (missionary) making noisy love. The police bursts in and yells : " Freeze, don't move! ". But this guy moves and he gets shot in the back as he is still on top of his girlfriend. The head of the police team there asks him: " [Name]...why did you move, man? Huh, why did you move? ". And the dying guy says: " I just wanted to take my pants..."

The question of the police chief is idiotic because, as i remember, he was looking for some valuable information and instead of asking important questions in the few seconds the victim had to live, he chose to ask him why did he move...

Roger Ryan

#1236 Post by Roger Ryan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:10 pm

danmih83 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:18 am
Hello,
I remember seeing this brief scene in a movie probably around 1998-2000, although the movie might be older...
Not positive, but I remember a scene similar to this in Dennis Hopper's Colors (1988).

bamwc2

#1237 Post by bamwc2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 pm

I have vague memories of seeing a film about 15-20 years ago, but can't remember the name for the life of me. It was French and from the late 60s or early 70s, I believe. It was about a man who had an affair with a married woman, whose husband was a cinephile that had a large collection of movie stills. He was unaware of her infidelity for the majority of the film, but destroyed his collection and killed himself upon learning the truth. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

senseabove

#1238 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:37 pm

bamwc2 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 pm
I have vague memories of seeing a film about 15-20 years ago, but can't remember the name for the life of me. It was French and from the late 60s or early 70s, I believe. It was about a man who had an affair with a married woman, whose husband was a cinephile that had a large collection of movie stills. He was unaware of her infidelity for the majority of the film, but destroyed his collection and killed himself upon learning the truth. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Sounds like
SpoilerShow
Zulawski's L'important c'est d'aimer

bamwc2

#1239 Post by bamwc2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:36 am

senseabove wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:37 pm
Sounds like
SpoilerShow
Zulawski's L'important c'est d'aimer
Thanks! I've definitely seen it around that time frame. I'm willing to bet you're right.

Ovader

#1240 Post by Ovader » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 pm

It's NOT the following: Anything by the Quay Brothers or Jan Švankmajer, A Matter Of Life And Death (aka Stairway To Heaven), Black Narcissus, Melinda (On a Clear Day You Can See Forever), Heaven Can Wait, Kurosawa’s DREAMS, anything by Raul Ruiz, Querelle, Barry Levinson's TOYS, Leave Her To Heaven, Ten Skies, Journey to the Beginning of Time (Cesta do pravěku), Diamantino, nor At Eternity's Gate.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1241 Post by Rayon Vert » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 am

Well it's 1.85 so it's 1954 and up if you want to narrow it down just a wee little bit!

Ovader

#1242 Post by Ovader » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 am
Well it's 1.85 so it's 1954 and up if you want to narrow it down just a wee little bit!
Anthony Mann's THE FAR COUNTRY (1954). Adrian Martin posted that photo on FB and everyone was trying to guess what film. I was being sneaky trying to get some help from this forum. Worry pas!

Alphonse Tram

#1243 Post by Alphonse Tram » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:18 am

This is pretty vague, but here goes...

A B&W, possibly Polish film, shown on UK TV in the 60s. The only detail I have is it involves 3 men being granted a wish, or one man being granted 3 wishes - wishing for money is involved.

I have no more information beyond that. Asking for someone.

Ovader

#1244 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:46 am

A movie I saw on TV possibly in the late 1970s which had a scene of a pregnant woman being crushed/pressed execution styled by a group of Puritans dressed in Pilgrim garb. I don't remember if the film was set back during the Salem witch trials or contemporary times and whether the character was having a nightmare. There was a shot of the woman's POV looking at the Puritans as they placed rocks on a flat board as they crushed her.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1245 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:05 am

Crowhaven Farm? (not pregnant but holding a baby)

Ovader

#1246 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:05 am
Crowhaven Farm? (not pregnant but holding a baby)
Thanks! That would be it and at least I was near the mark regarding a baby in the scene. I forgot to mention I thought the the Puritans were actually witches. That scene traumatized me when I was a kid and now I wonder if it was actually 1970 when I saw it or whether it rebroadcast later in the decade.

Astroman
FAQ: "Man or Astroman?"

#1247 Post by Astroman » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:58 pm

First post in a while for me, in hopes I can have some lingering mysteries solved. I've got three pieces of clips and detritus floating around in my head and have for many, many years that I cannot place with their sources - two of which aren't features at all but I thought I'd throw out there in hope someone here can solve the puzzles. Thanks in advance.

1. A kung-fu movie I caught on cable in the early/mid-80s, one of several dozen of its type, I'm sure: a drunken monkey fighting-style film. I recall two bits in particular - the protagonist getting bullied or challenged to a fight, getting punched around and, while gathering his wits, was mistaken for a fighter in this mold. Which leads later to becoming such a fighter, studying under a teacher who I believe was killed by the bad guys. The hero finished off his last foe with a freeze frame that echoed an earlier scene of animals who'd been fighting (probably a monkey, which scans). A mirror image of the kill, the hero on his back, his for dangling above him, throat clenched in his fist. Pretty vague, I admit, but it's been a long time.

2. An animated short that I saw in the late '80s, again on cable. It had a style much like MTV's Stick Figure Theater, set to a Spanish-language acoustic folk song, done as an allegory for imperialism and colonization. Beginning with ships landing on shores, plying the indigenous with trinkets, alcohol, and Playboy centerfolds. Later on, spaceships come to earth and use similar tactics.

3. A television show ('80s again), I think was a syndicated original, about a family that though happenstance become owners and runners of a local tv station in the southwest. I recall an episode where the whole family became ill and the dad tried to program and present the daily offerings himself, to sitcommy results.

bottled spider

#1248 Post by bottled spider » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:00 pm

A long time ago I saw on TV one scene from a movie that went like this: a woman is taken shopping by her fiancee's sister or mother, and while they are in a dressing room, the sister/mother's head briefly transforms into that of a snarling demon, then transforms back. Possibly some verbal threat is made. Afterwards the sister/mother acts like nothing happened. I seem to remember the sister/mother was black and upper class.

if6ws9

#1249 Post by if6ws9 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:30 pm

I've been trying to find a movie title for many years. I saw this movie on TV when I was young. All I can remember is it might have been made in the 1940's, it was a romance themed story about a architect who died but returned as another person. Years after his death, the leading lady noticed how a man she met held his thumb up to measure something in the distance and realized it was her deceased lover, "Gogi" (I think that was his name). I'm not sure of who the leading man was, it might have been Gregory Peck. I can't recall who the leading lady was. Any ideas?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1250 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 pm

My girlfriend is trying to identify a TV series (?) drama she watched in the early 90s. Her grandparents were living in Taiwan, and it was Mandarin language series that was important enough for them to mail her parents VHS tapes of each episode- something her very frugal family would not have done lightly. The only thing she remembers in the show itself is a little girl washing her clothes in the winter.

Any ideas?