Movie Theater Experiences

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Movie Theater Experiences

#1101 Post by Brian C » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 pm

I’ve had a ton of experience working in theatres and telling people to shut up, and one thing that is pretty consistent is that loud people are genuinely baffled that other people think they’re being loud. They think they’re whispering to themselves under the volume of the movie, but obviously that’s not true.

Anyway, when asked politely to be quiet, a good number of people were embarrassed to learn that they were in fact loud. Obviously many others weren’t and thought that the others were just being completely unreasonable to complain. Weird psychology.

Also, I’ve said this before, but it was invariably older folks who drew the most complaints. The stereotype is obviously loud teenagers, but in fact it was almost always the olds. I’m sure (non-ironically) that hearing loss plays a huge part in them not realizing how loud they really are.

therewillbeblus

#1102 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:08 am

Brian C wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 pm
Anyway, when asked politely to be quiet, a good number of people were embarrassed to learn that they were in fact loud. Obviously many others weren’t and thought that the others were just being completely unreasonable to complain. Weird psychology.
That makes sense. People are in their own bubble when watching a movie, and if you infiltrate that and remind them they’re in public, those who lean towards healthy self-consciousness will be embarrassed and ideally alter behavior with the reminder, while those who struggle to accept feedback or take accountability will defensively revolt and resent the infiltrator who disrupted ‘their’ experience on their terms

hearthesilence

#1103 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 am

I think others have posted about NYC audiences and how hostile they can be about anyone disrupting a screening, ESPECIALLY at MoMA, but I do forget how awful it can be with no enforcement of any kind. Years ago, I took some kids to a matinee once per their request because their friends and classmates were going to be there. It was the first (and only) time I've ever taken any kids to a movie, and silly me, I thought they'd all just sit and watch the movie. To be fair, I had been to a couple of slumber parties in elementary school where we all did just that. (Probably helped that we were under parental supervision.) But these were all middle school kids and to them it was like going to a playground. I'm not even sure what we saw anymore - I have a vague recollection that it was an Oscar-nominated movie, but I didn't catch a single scene from it undistracted.

The Curious Sofa

#1104 Post by The Curious Sofa » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:02 am

The last blockbuster I saw at the cinema was Avatar 2 and I found myself among a small minority of patrons who weren't talking throughout or constantly flashing their phones at others. It's become the new normal and more so since Covid. This has also taken hold at the theatre, I recently saw a production of La cage aux folles at the Komische Oper (an opera house !) here in Berlin and a middle aged couple next to me thought it was perfectly OK to carry on a conversation without even lowering their voices, till I asked them to stop. In London, my previous home, there are now frequent reports of extreme audience misbehaviour in theatres which sometimes even get performances shut down.

The only movies I went to see since Avatar 2 have been at the Berlin Film Festival and a silent movie at a Berlin repertory house. I'd quite like to watch the new M:I on a big screen but don't think my blood pressure can take the aggravation, so will wait till I can watch it on my projector at home. Cinemas should have an announcement of "no, phones, no talking" ahead of movies as audiences have completely forgotten how to behave in public and then you can refer to that as a "shusher" like myself.

Lemmy Caution

#1105 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:20 am

What you do with the two noisy kids is tell them you'll give them $50 each if they don't say one more word during the film. Then at the end of the film, offer them $1 and claim that you said 50 cents. Or better yet when the movie ends, and they ask you for the money, tell them they almost made it, but started talking through the credits ... A lesson learned...

I don't know if I'm serious. And it works best if you're bigger than grandpa ...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1106 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:02 am
Cinemas should have an announcement of "no phones, no talking" ahead of movies as audiences have completely forgotten how to behave in public and then you can refer to that as a "shusher" like myself.
We have this here in France, it has 0 effect. We have the same issues than everywhere else (including showings that degenerated into, well, actual brawls).
It tends also to come from older folks, at least in the "general" showings I go to. I regularly attend to showing from my local cinematheque, and they're way more respectful, including from older folks (and younger too). I don't know if it's due to the movies they program which are less prone to draw disturbing people or if it's the public of the cinematheque which are intrinsequially less prone to disturbing a showing (ie even when the movie is a popular classic, viewers are more respectful people).

In any case, what cinemas need to have nowadays would be closer to having 400 pounds bouncers actually enforcing a "no phones, no talking" policy during the movie.
Which I think is a completely absurd and dispiriting situation to be. I mean : how hard is it to just, you know, watch the movie you paid for ? It's actully ironic because many (mostly younger people) people in France routinely rant about how expensive moviegoing has become, but clearly, it's still not expensive enough to some, since they're coming to the showing to talk to their friends and send text messages. They can do that for free outside !

yoloswegmaster

#1107 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:42 am

Brian C wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 pm
Also, I’ve said this before, but it was invariably older folks who drew the most complaints. The stereotype is obviously loud teenagers, but in fact it was almost always the olds. I’m sure (non-ironically) that hearing loss plays a huge part in them not realizing how loud they really are.
Yup, my experience has also been that middle-aged and older couples usually are the ones who are distracting. I was at a screening of Corsage earlier this year and it was just me and this old couple in the theater and the couple would not stop talking loudly even though I had politely asked them to stop on 3 separate occasions.
The Curious Sofa wrote:
Cinemas should have an announcement of "no, phones, no talking" ahead of movies as audiences have completely forgotten how to behave in public and then you can refer to that as a "shusher" like myself.
The 2 biggest theater chains in Canada used to play infomercials that reminded people not to talk or go on their phones in the middle of a movie but for whatever reason, they stopped playing it once theaters had been reopened. Now if those
Lemmy Caution wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:20 am
What you do with the two noisy kids is tell them you'll give them $50 each if they don't say one more word during the film. Then at the end of the film, offer them $1 and claim that you said 50 cents. Or better yet when the movie ends, and they ask you for the money, tell them they almost made it, but started talking through the credits ... A lesson learned...

I don't know if I'm serious. And it works best if you're bigger than grandpa ...
That would be a good idea but I don't feel like potentially getting arrested for being in a fight with an old man. I did have an idea to bring a bottle of pop with me and dump it on anyone who won't stop talking despite being asked to but I quickly realized that was a stupid idea that would get me banned, as well as making some workers day more miserable by having to clean up the sticky mess from the floor and seats.

The Curious Sofa

#1108 Post by The Curious Sofa » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:45 pm

tenia wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am
In any case, what cinemas need to have nowadays would be closer to having 400 pounds bouncers actually enforcing a "no phones, no talking" policy during the movie.
I'm at a point where I'd be prepared to pay a little extra for that service.

headacheboy

#1109 Post by headacheboy » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:18 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:45 pm
tenia wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:38 am

I'm at a point where I'd be prepared to pay a little extra for that service.
I recently saw Jaws at a local repertory theatre and just as Roy Scheider did what he does to the shark, I was stunned to see at least 250 flashes of cellphone cameras go off. Those 400 pound bouncers wouldn't have gotten them all! Is that a thing for this movie? Photographing that precise moment? It was so well timed by over half the audience I felt like I failed to get the memo, not that I would have participated.

ntnon

#1110 Post by ntnon » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Cinemas should have an announcement of "no, phones, no talking" ahead of movies...
They all do, as far as I've seen. People are just used to ignoring Official Advice/Rules in favor of their own desires.

hearthesilence

#1111 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:20 pm

I recently saw Jaws at a local repertory theatre and just as Roy Scheider did what he does to the shark, I was stunned to see at least 250 flashes of cellphone cameras go off. Those 400 pound bouncers wouldn't have gotten them all! Is that a thing for this movie? Photographing that precise moment? It was so well timed by over half the audience I felt like I failed to get the memo, not that I would have participated.
It’s probably still up but several years ago, Metrograph posted a strict reminder on their social media accounts that it was illegal to photograph the screen (no better than making a pirated video of a screening) and would enforce a zero tolerance policy. It had been awhile since I attended a screening there but I imagine it was becoming a problem. (Not anymore though.)

The Curious Sofa

#1112 Post by The Curious Sofa » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:16 am

ntnon wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm
The Curious Sofa wrote:
Cinemas should have an announcement of "no, phones, no talking" ahead of movies...
They all do, as far as I've seen. People are just used to ignoring Official Advice/Rules in favor of their own desires.
I've heard "no phone" announcements in cinemas and theatres, never any which ask people not to talk. At least it would make it official that the venue regards this as unacceptable behaviour, something many of today's audiences don't even seem to be aware of. However I get the feeling that cinemas fear a loss of revenue by going against low level anti-social behaviour, which is becoming the new normal.
Last edited by The Curious Sofa on Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

brundlefly

#1113 Post by brundlefly » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:04 am

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:16 am
I've heard "no phone" announcements in cinemas and theatres, never any which ask people not to talk.
Well here's 37 years of them from one major US chain. The evolution certainly shows more emphasis on phone behavior, because duh, and even within that a shift from talking to texting. But even if the standard slogan "No talking, no texting." makes it seem like they're only admonishing phone behavior (and often comes with cell phone company sponsorship), it's there. The last one is the current pre-roll and clearly associates talking with crowd noise. (It can't help matters that AMC's most infamous clip ends with Nicole Kidman talking to the camera during a movie.)

aox

#1114 Post by aox » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:23 am

Alamo Drafthouse, at least in NYC, is very aggressive about phones, light from phones, texting, and talking.

The Curious Sofa

#1115 Post by The Curious Sofa » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:58 pm

aox wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:23 am
Alamo Drafthouse, at least in NYC, is very aggressive about phones, light from phones, texting, and talking.
I've read about that and that's one thing they are famous for. Unfortunately no Alamo Drafthouse here in Berlin, a city which takes a laissez-faire fair attitude towards anti-social behavior.

Farley Flavors

#1116 Post by Farley Flavors » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:04 am

aox wrote:
Problem is you're surrounded by people munching on chicken tenders and pizza, which is arguably even more obnoxious.

aox

#1117 Post by aox » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:57 am

Farley Flavors wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:04 am
aox wrote:
Problem is you're surrounded by people munching on chicken tenders and pizza, which is arguably even more obnoxious.
I purposely didn't order a Cobb salad for this reason; all of the munching. But, I also understand that's part of this film-going experience at Alamo Draft House. Still, I do like to have a few pints during a screening. I think most people understand that before attending a screening at Alamo or Nitehawk.

therewillbeblus

#1118 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:46 am

Unless people get belligerent which amplifies this egocentricity to a new level. I’ll never forget a few particularly grueling experiences in the first year they installed alcohol/dining “deluxe” seating at the Showcase multiplexes ~2011: Drunk people having full-on loud conversations in the middle of the movie and screaming expletives and making threats to people who ‘sh’ed them. Those sections were also very intimate, so it was close quarters and didn’t feel super safe. I remember my girlfriend at the time complained four times throughout the movie and the staff said they would do something but never did and ultimately just gave her a free ticket. They certainly weren’t paid enough or trained properly to deal with that kind of aggressive behavior

Black Hat

#1119 Post by Black Hat » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:48 am

Farley Flavors wrote:
aox wrote:
Exactly. With servers coming in and out as well.

What does "very aggressive" even mean?

hearthesilence

#1120 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:06 pm

Farley Flavors wrote:
aox wrote:
This is pretty much why I never go there. I've only been twice, the last time for Blade Runner 2049 which to be fair gave us nifty beer glasses (albeit promotional items for Fight Club for some strange reason), and someone spilled coffee across our entire table.

therewillbeblus

#1121 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:11 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:06 pm
someone spilled coffee across our entire table.
Yeah but you're not really safe anywhere when you give people open containers of liquids (sodas with straws worked just fine). During the previews before The Shape of Water at one of our regular arthouse theatres (not a dining venue), the person next to me spilled their vodka soda all over me. I sat there for hours stinking like booze as a recovering alcoholic - easily the most uncomfortable viewing experience of my life. Most theatres sell booze at this point, which at the very least lowers inhibitions and causes them to care even less about everyone else's wellbeing

yoloswegmaster

#1122 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:34 pm

That just sounds nauseating and I'm surprised you didn't leave right away to go home and change your clothes. I honestly don't think I would have been able to sit thru an entire screening with the smell of vodka lingering all over me.

therewillbeblus

#1123 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:47 pm

Yeah, probably would've made a different choice today, but me six years ago was a bit more hardheaded around not allowing another patron to make me exit an experience

Matt

#1124 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:04 pm

The Alamo Drafthouse in my area has (or had in late 2019 which is the last time I was there) the best projection, sound, and lighting conditions of any other theater. The food and drink and servers are a little distracting for the first 20 minutes or so, but perhaps no more than the slurping, crunching, box-shaking, and bag-crinkling that goes on at other theaters.

hearthesilence

#1125 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:05 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:04 pm
The Alamo Drafthouse in my area has (or had in late 2019 which is the last time I was there) the best projection, sound, and lighting conditions of any other theater. The food and drink and servers are a little distracting for the first 20 minutes or so, but perhaps no more than the slurping, crunching, box-shaking, and bag-crinkling that goes on at other theaters.
Forgot, MoMA doesn't allow drinks or food which I do appreciate. (They do have cafés but you can't take anything beyond the immediate area.)