Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Passages

#8226 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 pm

BigMack3000 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 pm
DarkImbecile wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 pm
John Prine, of COVID-19
This one cuts deep. I've always loved this acoustic rendition of "How Lucky" from the Colbert Report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fw0rhcTgz8
A Nashville mixing engineer, Jamie Tate, posted this on social media:
Jamie Tate wrote:I saw John Prine last October. We were both getting takeout from the same BBQ place for lunch. I wasn't sure it was him. He looked very different than he did 20 years earlier when I worked with him while recording the soundtrack for a Billy Bob Thornton movie (the movie was Daddy and Them). John also starred in the movie.

Then, one of the songs I recorded with him came on the restaurant's PA. Weird! So I decided to go over and say hi.

That song, "In Spite Of Ourselves," was recorded to play over the end credits and went on to become one of his more widely known songs.
We recorded three different versions of it. The version I'm posting here was the first one. It never went beyond this rough mix I did in the wee early morning hours of December 12th, 1998.

Iris DeMent would later come in to sing the second verse, but in this version John sings the entire song.

Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart are playing acoustic guitars on this version.

The second version was done the next day and had a full band with drums(!). Then we finally recoded the version we all know a few days later.
I post this as a tribute to the man. Thanks for all the music, Mr. Prine!
Here's the link to that recording.

Also, that song is actually the title track of a really good duets album. It's no mere side project or oddity - it's one of Prine's best even though he wrote only the title song for it. He has multiple singing partners - the ones with DeMent are the highlights, particularly the title song, but they're all good. And DeMent herself is a great singer-songwriter, with My Life alone being one of the great albums of the '90s.

Saturnome

#8227 Post by Saturnome » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:57 pm

I hope people will at some point discover more of Nobuhiko Ôbayashi's filmography, he's much more than Hausu. Not an easy thing since his work isn't very much available outside of Japan.

I'd love, at some point, to see a compilation of his advertising work. It seems like a huge part of his work I've never seen (except the Charles Bronson one) and would make a nice supplement (I don't know how easy or hard licensing adverts for a disc release though?)
Edit : Alamo Drafthouse YouTube's channel is right now uploading a bunch of commercials he shot !

okcmaxk

#8228 Post by okcmaxk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:09 am

Another Nashville actor: Timothy Brown from dementia complications

bearcuborg

#8229 Post by bearcuborg » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:30 am

WmS wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:36 am
Per Frameworks, Bruce Baillie has died. Never made it to hospice care.
J Hoberman on Baillie

colinr0380

#8230 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:11 am

Saturnome wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:57 pm
I'd love, at some point, to see a compilation of his advertising work. It seems like a huge part of his work I've never seen (except the Charles Bronson one) and would make a nice supplement (I don't know how easy or hard licensing adverts for a disc release though?)
Edit : Alamo Drafthouse YouTube's channel is right now uploading a bunch of commercials he shot !
Thanks for alerting me to those commercials! I have had mornings waking up with hair like the lady in the More More commercial, and I'm not entirely sure that kicking a can over a revolving tree to express one's melancholy sells an overcoat particularly well!

I particularly like the western riff in the Haggar slacks advert, though they do seem to suggest that the cut of the trousers makes one walk in a rather peculiar manner! The worryingly orgasmic Marilyn Monroe lookalike vocalises throughout the Yeye fashion commercial with enough ersatz knockoff lookalike celebrities to send J.G. Ballard into ecstatic raptures! I think my favourite though is the whacked out interstellar dance number one for Snow ice cream! The apparent sparkly diamonds embedded in it seem as if they would cut your mouth on eating them though!

dadaistnun

#8231 Post by dadaistnun » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 am

MichaelB

#8232 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 am

Saturnome wrote:
It depends entirely on the original ad, who sponsored it (as they'll most likely own it), and whether they're likely to agree to its further circulation - and they may have their own individual contractual stipulations. When we licensed a cigarette ad animated by Walerian Borowczyk for Arrow's Borowczyk box, we traced its ownership to a big tobacco conglomerate who made it a contractual condition that we couldn't include anything in the package that was in any way critical of the tobacco industry - which in our case was an easy promise to keep, but I can envisage other scenarios where this might be tougher.

Feego

#8233 Post by Feego » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Actress and producer Hilary Heath, from COVID-19 complications. She is best remembered for starring in Witchfinder General and co-producing An Awfully Big Adventure.

colinr0380

#8234 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Her character certainly gets put through a heck of a lot in Witchfinder General, making it appropriate that her screaming face provides the backdrop for the end credits! She gets very briefly interviewed in that Eurotika episode devoted to Michael Reeves.

It is interesting to see the list of credits of things that she co-produced or executive produced on imdb includes Nil By Mouth and a number of TV adaptations of Daphne du Maurier stories including a 1997 adaptation of Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek in 1998, along with bookending her producing credits with two versions of Jamaica Inn, the Jane Seymour starring one from 1983 and the other being the 2014 one (which I have not seen but I remember being lambasted in reader's letters to the Radio Times at the time for being 'too dark' to see anything! Which probably means its great).

Plus the Richard E. Grant semi-autobiographical film Wah-Wah and a couple of really interesting Australian films in Fortress from 1985 and Bruce Beresford's The Fringe Dwellers.

fdm

#8235 Post by fdm » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 pm

Sun Ra Arkestra's Danny Ray Thompson (last month).

Lemmy Caution

#8236 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:33 am

The baritone sax was an important component of Sun Ra's music. A distinctive deep counterpart to Sun Ra's synthesizer. I never heard of the Neptunian libflecto. I always liked how during Sun Ra's concerts almost everyone would have a second instrument they'd play, maybe a contra-bassoon or some unusual percussion instrument.

That link you provided is quite good, even with an Arkestra performance from 2016 at bottom. Marshall Allen plays something akin to a woodwind synthesizer. I saw Sun Ra a lot in the mid-80's to early 90's. Wasn't aware there were still classic Arkestra concerts on-going.

I'd been out of the US for two years, returned, turned on the radio [WKCR] and was surprised to hear Sun Ra. It was 1993 and he'd just disembarked from Spaceship Earth. They were holding a memorial service at St. Michael's the Jazz Church buried in the sidewalk beneath the Citicorp Building in midtown Manhattan. I called around, but all of my friends were working or busy or said they were. So my mother offered to go with me. An interesting time. Randy Weston flew in from Morocco and played a few tunes in dedication, which was very cool. The one time, years later I was in Morocco, Weston, the only person I knew in the country, was performing in NYC. Cosmic chance.

Once circa 1985, WKCR undertook a Sun Ra Festival, which i believe was something like 300 straight hours of Sun Ra. Quite something. In the days long before downloading any piece of music you want, that was a real experience.

How rude!

#8237 Post by How rude! » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:29 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:11 am
Saturnome wrote:
Thanks for alerting me to those commercials! I have had mornings waking up with hair like the lady in the More More commercial, and I'm not entirely sure that kicking a can over a revolving tree to express one's melancholy sells an overcoat particularly well!

I particularly like the western riff in the Haggar slacks advert, though they do seem to suggest that the cut of the trousers makes one walk in a rather peculiar manner! The worryingly orgasmic Marilyn Monroe lookalike vocalises throughout the Yeye fashion commercial with enough ersatz knockoff lookalike celebrities to send J.G. Ballard into ecstatic raptures! I think my favourite though is the whacked out interstellar dance number one for Snow ice cream! The apparent sparkly diamonds embedded in it seem as if they would cut your mouth on eating them though!
He also included a cheeky advert for Maxim coffee in 'The Adventures of Kosuke Kindaichi'. Image

bdsweeney

Passages

#8238 Post by bdsweeney » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 am

Tim Brooke-Taylor from COVID (quite literally, a Goodie)

Swift

#8239 Post by Swift » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:35 am

In the past year or two, I discovered I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue for the first time as someone had uploaded a ton of episodes on YouTube. It was my daily ritual for a while to listen to an episode each morning in bed to lighten up the day. RIP ☹️

Swift

#8240 Post by Swift » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:40 am

Blutarsky

#8241 Post by Blutarsky » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am

One of the last connections we had to the early, glory years of Formula One. Never won a championship which is a damn shame as, to me, he ranks towards the top with Fangio, Clark, and Senna. This is a sad day for the motoring world.

colinr0380

#8242 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:12 pm

bdsweeney wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 am
Tim Brooke-Taylor from COVID (quite literally, a Goodie)
Like Cameron Swift, I am more aware of him as the regular on the long running BBC Radio 4 show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue (The Goodies were a bit before my time!)

In film he briefly turns up in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and is in the rather obscure David Niven film The Statue.

He was from my local area and his firm of solicitors named after his family are still based in the centre of the nearby town.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

FrauBlucher

#8243 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Aunt Peg

#8244 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:30 am

Director Sarah Maldoror best know for Sambizanga (1972):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Maldoror

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#8246 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Hank Steinbrenner. Not COVID.

Saturnome

#8247 Post by Saturnome » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:09 am

Calvin

#8248 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:48 am

hearthesilence

#8249 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Very few giants from jazz's heyday remain, and now sadly Lee Konitz is no longer with us. This hasn't made the news yet, but word is getting around that he passed away from pneumonia. I saw him once - just days before he turned 90 - and his sound was unmistakable, a beautiful player to the end.

EDIT: His son confirms it was related to COVID-19. Damn that f-ing virus.

CSM126

#8250 Post by CSM126 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Howard Finkel, doubtlessly the greatest ring announcer in professional wrestling history and perhaps in any sporting event’s history. An iconic voice.