Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
JSC

Re: Passages

#11451 Post by JSC » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:39 pm

I was playing his legendary RCA recording with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring." For my money, the greatest recording ever made of that landmark outside of Stravinsky's own.
That was the first recording I ever heard of The Rite of Spring. Every subsequent recording or performance has always paled (for me).
Also had the good fortune to see him conduct at Symphony Hall many years ago.

Considering how distinct his appearance was in later years this early 1963 appearance on What's My Line is very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8u6MoA7fv0

beamish14

#11452 Post by beamish14 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:43 am

Robert M. Young, at 99 years of age

kuzine

#11453 Post by kuzine » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:09 pm

Damo Suzuki

Gregor Samsa

#11454 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:41 pm

kuzine wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:09 pm
Damo Suzuki
From the official FB:
It is with great sadness that we have to announce the passing of our wonderful friend Damo Suzuki, yesterday, Friday 9th February 2024.

His boundless creative energy has touched so many over the whole world, not just with Can, but also with his all continents spanning Network Tour. Damo's kind soul and cheeky smile will be forever missed.

He will be joining Michael, Jaki and Holger for a fantastic jam!

Lots of love to his family and children.

We will post funeral arrangements at a later date.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11455 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:29 pm

This happened back in August but hadn't been mentioned here and I only just learned about it, but actress/director Sophie Fillières died in August. Her bizarre, possibly sci-fi comedy Aïe is def worth seeking out

Lemmy Caution

Navalny

#11456 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:00 pm

Vladimir Putin's #1 enemy, the incredibly brave Alexander Navalny. I was surprised that he returned to Russia after recovering from nerve agent poisoning. He was then promptly arrested and convicted for violating his parole from a previous phony/political fraud conviction. Incredibly cynical for the Russian government to attempt to assassinate a politician/human rights campaigner with military grade poison, then charge him for leaving the country to get life saving treatment. They wanted him either dead or exiled, but he was perhaps recklessly persistent.

After Navalny and his organization exposed Putin's billion dollar estate near Sochi, it was just a matter of time before they offed him. It's believed that he was being slowly poisoned in jail, where his health deteriorated. In December he was moved to a harsh gulag above the Arctic Circle. Rumors were that Putin would receive videos of the guards mistreating Navalny.

Expect silence from Trump and the MAGA crowd. Biden should use the occasion to double down on Ukraine assistance. And underline how Trump and the GOP are Putin toadies. Tighten sanctions on Russia. Europe needs to stop buying one ruble's worth of goods/oil from Russia. Turn over frozen Russian assets to Ukraine as war reparations. And Putin should be made to fear incoming drones of untraceable origin. One Russian human rights journalist summed things up, “they are killing the dream of millions of people to live in a normal country."

hearthesilence

#11457 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:47 pm

Jim Desmond, a close collaborator of D A Pennebaker's who was a cameraman on many of his films, passed away yesterday per social media posts. Unfortunately, his contributions have been poorly documented on IMDB (where they barely list anything at all) but he was one of the camera operators who filmed Hendrix, Janis Joplin and other rock greats in Monterey Pop, he was one of the camera operators filming Chuck Berry, Little Richard and John Lennon in Sweet Toronto (and it's likely at least some of his footage wound up in Wim Wenders's Alice in the Cities and William Klein's The Little Richard Story), filming David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars in Ziggy Stardust, Stephen Sondheim and others in Company (a long cherished film among musical theater aficionados that was finally brought back into circulation by Criterion), Depeche Mode in Depeche Mode 101, and he even filmed Martin Luther King shortly before he was assassinated.

And also Steven Wise, an animal rights advocate who was the subject of D A Pennebaker's last film. He founded the Nonhuman Rights Project in 1995 as the “only civil rights organization in the United States dedicated solely to securing rights for nonhuman animals.”

MichaelB

#11458 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:50 pm

Soprano Wilhelmenia Wiggins Fernandez, who had just one film role to her credit - but the title role in Diva is one hell of a filmography entry in itself.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11459 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:29 pm
actress/director Sophie Fillières
Very limited acting CV but she was in two big Justine Triet films

Fifo

Re: Navalny

#11460 Post by Fifo » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:43 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:00 pm
Vladimir Putin's #1 enemy, the incredibly brave Alexander Navalny. I was surprised that he returned to Russia after recovering from nerve agent poisoning. He was then promptly arrested and convicted for violating his parole from a previous phony/political fraud conviction. Incredibly cynical for the Russian government to attempt to assassinate a politician/human rights campaigner with military grade poison, then charge him for leaving the country to get life saving treatment. They wanted him either dead or exiled, but he was perhaps recklessly persistent.

After Navalny and his organization exposed Putin's billion dollar estate near Sochi, it was just a matter of time before they offed him. It's believed that he was being slowly poisoned in jail, where his health deteriorated. In December he was moved to a harsh gulag above the Arctic Circle. Rumors were that Putin would receive videos of the guards mistreating Navalny.

Expect silence from Trump and the MAGA crowd. Biden should use the occasion to double down on Ukraine assistance. And underline how Trump and the GOP are Putin toadies. Tighten sanctions on Russia. Europe needs to stop buying one ruble's worth of goods/oil from Russia. Turn over frozen Russian assets to Ukraine as war reparations. And Putin should be made to fear incoming drones of untraceable origin. One Russian human rights journalist summed things up, “they are killing the dream of millions of people to live in a normal country."
RIP Alexei https://navalny.eu/

otis

#11461 Post by otis » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm

dadaistnun

#11462 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:47 pm

Ira von Fürstenberg of Five Dolls for an August Moon.

pistolwink

#11463 Post by pistolwink » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 pm

otis wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm
Micheline Presle
The number of great directors she worked with over her long career is just astounding. Everyone from Fritz Lang to Jacques Rivette. It was a little shocking to remember that the star of Falbalas and Diable au corps was still around a few days ago.

GaryC

#11464 Post by GaryC » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:49 am

Pamela Salem on 21 February, aged 80. Surprisingly, many of the obits don't mention her Doctor Who credentials, though this one does - it's actually three stories as she provided a voice for The Face of Evil while in rehearsals for The Robots of Death. Otherwise it's Eastenders and her role as Moneypenny in Never Say Never Again.

The Narrator Returns

#11465 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:27 am

Buddy Duress

colinr0380

#11466 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:23 pm

Via the Anime News Network, Mark Merlino, co-founder (with Fred Patten) of both the first anime club in North America, the Cartoon/Fantasy Organization in 1977, as well as one of the main figures responsible for beginning the Furry subculture through organising the "ConFurence" events from 1989 to 2003.

hearthesilence

#11467 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Blutarsky

#11468 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:16 pm
Comedian and actor Richard Lewis
Incredibly sad, especially as the last Curb season is underway. One of the great comedians, and his performance on Curb is easily my favorite. I always sing his song about getting coffee from the famous Latte Larry’s/Mocha Joe’s season.

hearthesilence

#11469 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:26 pm

I haven't followed Curb lately but I was surprised to see him in Bogdanovich's Squirrels to the Nuts which I hope gets a release soon - it's been nearly two whole years since it played at MoMA.

therewillbeblus

#11470 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:07 am

Blutarsky wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:16 pm
Comedian and actor Richard Lewis
Incredibly sad, especially as the last Curb season is underway. One of the great comedians, and his performance on Curb is easily my favorite.
Larry David's on-brand but ultimately touching statement:
Richard and I were born three days apart in the same hospital and for most of my life he’s been like a brother to me. He had that rare combination of being the funniest person and also the sweetest. But today he made me sob and for that I’ll never forgive him.

Fiery Angel

#11471 Post by Fiery Angel » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 pm

willoneill

#11472 Post by willoneill » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:14 pm

beamish14

#11473 Post by beamish14 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:42 pm

His privatization push had horrible consequences

knives

#11474 Post by knives » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:24 am

Fiery Angel wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 pm
Paolo Taviani
Just as the Radiance began to pour out. Hard to get upset when someone is that old and successful, but the idea of a definitive limit on the Tavianis is a bummer.

MichaelB

#11475 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:08 am

It's pretty extraordinary that there was one final Taviani film after Vittorio's death, and Paolo was already ninety when Leonora Addio came out.

But yes, as you say, it's hard to get too upset about someone dying in his nineties after a quite incredible career - his film output in toto spanned 1954-2022 and his feature output a full sixty years, with no particularly noticeable gaps. Even post-2010 he still managed to make four features, including a Berlin Golden Bear winner.

I was hoping to catch the onstage Q&A in London, but it was mysteriously cancelled, and sadly it's now obvious why.