Botched!: Cruising & Thief and the Cobbler

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Nothing

#51 Post by Nothing » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:38 pm

Erm, David E, you can't go blaming Friedkin for the actions of a crazy person. Surpring to see that old cause-and-effect fallacy being pedalled around here.

Still haven't seen Crusing, but excited by the prospect of the DVD. Saddened to hear about the loss of the original cut, though.

David Ehrenstein

#52 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Erm, David E, you can't go blaming Friedkin for the actions of a crazy person. Surpring to see that old cause-and-effect fallacy being pedalled around here.
So what happend in the film's immediate wake should NEVER be mentioned for fear of upsetting the poor put-upon auteur.

Oh Prunellla!
Still haven't seen Cruising, but excited by the prospect of the DVD. Saddened to hear about the loss of the original cut, though
Cry Me a River! (The Joe Cocker version.)

Mr Sausage

#53 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:49 pm

David E wrote:
So what happend in the film's immediate wake should NEVER be mentioned for fear of upsetting the poor put-upon auteur.
That's not what he said at all. He clearly said one should not blame the director, which is quite different from merely mentioning something. And your condescending attitude is not at all helped by your inability to read properly.

David Ehrenstein

#54 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:04 pm

I can read quite well, thank you very much.

Have you read my article? Somehow I doubt it.

Mr Sausage

#55 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:53 pm

David Ehrenstein wrote:I can read quite well, thank you very much.
No doubt you can, which makes it all the worse when you refuse to do so.
David Ehrenstein wrote:Have you read my article?b Somehow I doubt it.
Yes, I have, and I thought it was good. However, your article and whether or not I have read it is entirely irrelevant to my point, which concerned your summation of someone else's argument, not with your opinion of the film.

David Ehrenstein

#56 Post by David Ehrenstein » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm

We have entered Fugue State.

Nothing

#57 Post by Nothing » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Hmm, interesting that the gay contingent here seem to hate the movie. Friedkin was fairly on form at the time, even Deal of the Century is under-rated.

Like I say, I'm waiting for the DVD...

Matt

#58 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Nothing wrote:Hmm, interesting that the gay contingent here seem to hate the movie.
Er... two people do not a contingent make.