Awards Season 2017

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Awards Season 2017

#251 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 am

Lost Highway wrote:
knives wrote:Seconds is too, but for a different sort of minority. Looking at its authors without question Hudson was reflecting something of his sexuality and Frankenheimer his Judaism, particularly pointed at the last scene.
That isn't the text of the film, that is you speculating about two famous people's minority status.
Which is a perfectly valid form of reading a film

Lost Highway

#252 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 am

domino harvey wrote:
Lost Highway wrote:
knives wrote:Seconds is too, but for a different sort of minority. Looking at its authors without question Hudson was reflecting something of his sexuality and Frankenheimer his Judaism, particularly pointed at the last scene.
That isn't the text of the film, that is you speculating about two famous people's minority status.
Which is a perfectly valid form of reading a film
I prefer to call it dime-store psychologising.

knives

#253 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 am

Lost Highway wrote:
It definitely is part of the text (and subtext) of the film and has famously been part of nearly every reading of the film since it has come out. Ignoring, at the very least, it as a gay text is like refusing to acknowledge Pickpocket as one.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#254 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 am

I hope Seconds wins Best Picture

knives

#255 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:57 am

Better than what actually won.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#256 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Criterion can't make up their mind, that's why they released both!

Lost Highway

#257 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 pm

knives wrote:
Lost Highway wrote:
It definitely is part of the text (and subtext) of the film and has famously been part of nearly every reading of the film since it has come out. Ignoring, at the very least, it as a gay text is like refusing to acknowledge Pickpocket as one.
I'm well aware of that reading but I reject such ham-fisted on-the-nose interpretations based on speculation how a closeted, gay movie star must have felt about himself. It's a stereotyped generalisation which I find fairly offensive. Maybe Rock Hudson's feelings about his sexuality were more nuanced than revulsion.

knives

#258 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I wasn't only referring to Hudson in my post and in his commentary, if I recall, Frankenheimer says as much for himself.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#259 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Where did knives say it was a product of revulsion? Living a lie and pretending to be someone you're not takes a toll

knives

#260 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm

I didn't even see that. For sure I don't think Seconds has to do with revulsion and I don't recall seeing any reading with that as a primary premise. My take is on needing to become part of the crowd even as something you are born with and identify with fully make you outside that.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#261 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Reading through the responses from the last couple pages, it's interesting that Ribs would choose A Soldier's Story as an example of a forgotten Best Picture film, as intentional or not that's easily the best race-centered film to ever be nominated and deserves a cultural relevancy it is for whatever reason denied presently. That movie has so much to say about the differing black experiences within the larger concept of racial divide and is as relevant as ever. I'd certainly heartily recommend it to the Get Out boosters if they haven't seen it yet

Lost Highway

#262 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 pm

knives wrote:I didn't even see that. For sure I don't think Seconds has to do with revulsion and I don't recall seeing any reading with that as a primary premise. My take is on needing to become part of the crowd even as something you are born with and identify with fully make you outside that.
The character at the start is part of the status quo who simply got tired of his life and his wife and yearns to be young again. He isn't marginalised, he has first world problems. Even if you interpret his Rock Hudson incarnation as "living a lie" this still doesn't quite line up as a specifically gay or Jewish allegory in regards of the plot of Seconds.

If you frame it as Seconds being a film about alienation then I buy that. That can encompass being gay or Jewish but its non-specific. If you tie it down to it specifically being a film about what it means to be gay or Jewish then that becomes problematic in several ways. If Frankenheimer said that's why he related to the subject matter and that is the subtext then I buy that. I don't buy it as it being the specific text. Seconds is vague and very generalised and it leaves itself wide open to different interpretations. The Stepford Wives and Get Out don't. They are about very particular issues of oppression, there is little room for interpretation.
Last edited by Lost Highway on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#263 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Oh, okay. That's fair.
domino harvey wrote:Reading through the responses from the last couple pages, it's interesting that Ribs would choose A Soldier's Story as an example of a forgotten Best Picture film, as intentional or not that's easily the best race-centered film to ever be nominated and deserves a cultural relevancy it is for whatever reason denied presently. That movie has so much to say about the differing black experiences within the larger concept of racial divide and is as relevant as ever. I'd certainly heartily recommend it to the Get Out boosters if they haven't seen it yet
Ditto. It might be in my top ten nominees.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#264 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm

PGA noms:

the Big Sick
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
Get Out
I, Tonya
Lady Bird
Molly's Game
the Post
the Shape of Water
the Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Wonder Woman

knives

#265 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Wouldn't be shocked if that is the BP if you take out I, Tonya and Wonder Woman.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#266 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:18 pm

I think I, Tonya has a better chance than Molly's Game or the Big Sick

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#267 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Whoa, just realized no Darkest Hour

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#268 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:I think I, Tonya has a better chance than Molly's Game or the Big Sick
Actually, given that I, Tonya has now nabbed PGA, WGA, ACE, and GG noms, it may be more of a lock than anyone realized

Ribs

#269 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah, the complete abandonment of Darkest Hour as the raves out of TIFF have subsided to mildly positive reception has me seriously questioning whether or not Oldman for Actor has the narrative we've been told he has locked down.

That Mudbound didn't take any of these other slots is also pretty surprising, but good per my previous feelings about Netflix at the Oscars.

Ribs

#270 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Wait - that's 11 nominees! Isn't a tie in a preferential balloting system supposed to be mathematically implausible?

knives

#271 Post by knives » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I think I, Tonya has a better chance than Molly's Game or the Big Sick
Actually, given that I, Tonya has now nabbed PGA, WGA, ACE, and GG noms, it may be more of a lock than anyone realized
That's a pretty convincing argument. That would definitely be an interesting sign of the times when deliberate kitsch ranks ahead of Sorkin.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#272 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:39 pm

To be fair, Molly's Game is overperforming too, and the adapted screenplay category really only has Call Me By Your Name as fair competition for Sorkin winning... but then again, everyone thought Sorkin would win for a film he didn't even end up nominated for, so

Dead or Deader

#273 Post by Dead or Deader » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 pm

National Society of Film Critics

Best Film: Lady Bird
Best Director: Greta Gerwig(Lady Bird)
Best Actor: Daniel Kaluuya(Get Out)
Best Actress: Sally Hawkings(Shape of Water, Maudie)
Best Supporting Actor: WIlliam Dafoe(The Florida Project)
Best Supporting Actress: Laurie Metcalf(Lady Bird)
Best Screenplay: Greta Gerwig(Lady Bird)
Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins(Blade Runner 2049)

dda1996a

#274 Post by dda1996a » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm

As someone who hasn't been following every step, why has Phantom Thread been completely shunned except for a Best Actor nomination?
And I'm heart broken to not see The Florida Project getting any love. Easily one of the year's best

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#275 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 pm

dda1996a wrote:As someone who hasn't been following every step, why has Phantom Thread been completely shunned except for a Best Actor nomination?
And I'm heart broken to not see The Florida Project getting any love. Easily one of the year's best
Phantom Thread was one of the last major films to screen, so that limited its strength in the early critic’s groups awards, though PTA’s films almost always underperform anyway. As for The Florida Project, it seems like a perfect example of the type of film that is well-liked but isn’t viewed as competitive in most categories or for Best Picture, and so is designated as a sure winner in one lesser category (in this case, best supporting actor) to make up for coming up short elsewhere.