W. (Oliver Stone, 2008)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
exte

#126 Post by exte » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Galen Young wrote:Leaked trailer up for who knows how long.
I'm sorry but really, who the fuck are we kidding? It's going to come out before the election, record time for post, and you think they're going to take the trailer DOWN? No fucking way. They need all the publicity they can get. It's not like someone posted mini-dv footage from a screening of dallies. It's a full trailer with credits! Come on, folks... I thought Blair Witch and all the viral marketing that followed was a long, long time ago...

planetjake

#127 Post by planetjake » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:29 am

exte wrote:
Galen Young wrote:Leaked trailer up for who knows how long.
I'm sorry but really, who the fuck are we kidding? It's going to come out before the election, record time for post, and you think they're going to take the trailer DOWN? No fucking way. They need all the publicity they can get. It's not like someone posted mini-dv footage from a screening of dallies. It's a full trailer with credits! Come on, folks... I thought Blair Witch and all the viral marketing that followed was a long, long time ago...
Trailer be gone, homes.

souvenir

#128 Post by souvenir » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 am

exte

#129 Post by exte » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:17 am

souvenir wrote:Here's another
Hence, viral. They're not stupid, folks...

Oedipax

#130 Post by Oedipax » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:35 am

If anyone caught Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, the approach taken to W.'s character there (that he's basically just a fratboy fuckup with tremendous dad issues) doesn't seem far from what's happening here, except that gag lasts about 5 minutes.

Fletch F. Fletch

#131 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:38 am

Here's an embedded version on Ain't It Cools News' site.

I dunno, looks interesting to me. If Stone can nail the right satirical tone for this film, it could be a blast.

exte

#132 Post by exte » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Oedipax wrote:If anyone caught Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, the approach taken to W.'s character there (that he's basically just a fratboy fuckup with tremendous dad issues) doesn't seem far from what's happening here, except that gag lasts about 5 minutes.
Except that gag will last well into the end of the century, I'm afraid...

Barmy

#133 Post by Barmy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Looks like a sophisticated analysis that will likely affect the election results.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#134 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:09 pm

I have a feeling, judging by that trailer, that this film just didn't have enough time to settle before being thrust out there. The actors don't reflect their real life counterparts whatsoever (especially Brolin and Cromwell) in either voice or appearance, which suggests rushed casting and an attempt to plant a name actor in each role.

The set design looks cheap and rushed as well, as far as I can tell from the trailer, that is. And from what has leaked of this script so far, yikes. This could be the biggest laughingstock of Stone's career, and actually hurt the democrats in the election.

aox

#135 Post by aox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 pm

This is what I don't get; why is he in such a rush to MAKE SURE this gets out before the November election? Bush isn't running for a third term. I have said from the beginning that everything about this seems overly rushed and for no reason. I see no reason why this couldn't be a great film about a tragically flawed character if Stone just gave it some time and really worked on his craft.

Jeff

#136 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:34 pm

aox wrote:Bush isn't running for a third term.
Isn't he?

teaser poster

justeleblanc

#137 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 pm

If this movie is bad, and given Stone's recent career I'm not too optimistic, it can backfire, much like some of the recent moveon.org ads that even had Jon Stewart ridiculing. Stone is basically appointing himself the political representative from Hollywood, but also a wild-card Obama surrogate, an easy target for not just the conservative media, and someone who's undermining Obama's message of looking at the future, not the past.

I'm not saying it will cost the election. Like Moore's 2004 film, this continued simplification of the Bush bio will likely have little effect. However, with weeks before a close election, you probably don't want Obama activists dropping their canvassing and registration efforts to see a movie.

colinr0380

#138 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:53 am

Jeff wrote:
aox wrote:Bush isn't running for a third term.
Isn't he?
So you are suggesting that McCain is the Dmitry Medvedev to Bush's Vladimir Putin? :wink:

jbeall

#139 Post by jbeall » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:24 am

colinr0380 wrote:So you are suggesting that McCain is the Dmitry Medvedev to Bush's Vladimir Putin?
Not sure if the UK news reports this, but Obama's supporters have been making this point for weeks, if not months.

justeleblanc

#140 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am

colinr0380 wrote:So you are suggesting that McCain is the Dmitry Medvedev to Bush's Vladimir Putin? :wink:
Some might argue McCain is the Deakins to Bush's Sonnenfeld.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#141 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 am

Do you mean McCain = No Country, Bush = Raising Arizona? Isn't it the other way around?

Jeff

#142 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:58 am

I really like the final posters. It's hard to read at this size, but the tagline is, "A Life Misunderestimated."

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#143 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Does it annoy anyone else that Josh Brolin doesn't look anything like George W. Bush?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#144 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Josh Brolin doesn't look anything like George W. Bush
No, but he does look a lot like Dennis Quaid!
Last edited by swo17 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aox

#145 Post by aox » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 pm

no. he's close enough.

Tom Hagen

#146 Post by Tom Hagen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Those posters are great; they have a real "it's 2:35 PM on the last day of school" feel to them. If Stone portrays Bush's extreme disinterest in the presidency (and his inherent ennui as a person) like these posters, this thing has a real shot at working. Honestly, that's why the last eight years have been such a debacle: the man at the top doesn't really care about the job, which leaves numerous matters of national importance either a) critically neglected or b) left in the trust of the various hacks, ideologues, and criminals that serve as his "subordinates."

flyonthewall2983

#147 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:34 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Does it annoy anyone else that Josh Brolin doesn't look anything like George W. Bush?
Not really, but what annoys me is that it appeared in the trailer that James Cromwell used his own voice as opposed to trying to imitate George Herbert. Oliver also did this in The Doors. Sure, Kevin Dillon looked a little bit like John Densmore but John never had a thick New Yawk accent either.

justeleblanc

#148 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 pm

swo17 wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Josh Brolin doesn't look anything like George W. Bush
No, but he does look a lot like Dennis Quaid!
I thought he was a dead ringer for Nick Nolte in Grindhouse... pretty versatile.

Antoine Doinel

#149 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Those posters are great; they have a real "it's 2:35 PM on the last day of school" feel to them. If Stone portrays Bush's extreme disinterest in the presidency (and his inherent ennui as a person) like these posters, this thing has a real shot at working. Honestly, that's why the last eight years have been such a debacle: the man at the top doesn't really care about the job, which leaves numerous matters of national importance either a) critically neglected or b) left in the trust of the various hacks, ideologues, and criminals that serve as his "subordinates."
I think the key fact you're missing here isn't so much that Bush doesn't care about the presidency, but that he cares about himself more. Throughout his history running oil companies, baseball teams or whatever, is that they are usually plum roles given to him that pay a lot of money, and allow him to run around using his influence in ways that will make himself and his buddies happy (ie. rich). The only way this film will work is if it taps into Bush's arrogance, rather than his stupidity. There are already enough daily calendars, websites and YouTube videos that document Bush's diminished intelligence. A brave, challenging film will expose the rotten, duplicitous, selfish core that is at the heart of the past eight years. Unfortunately, based on the trailers and posters, it appears Stone is only looking for the most reflexive, tic-worthy portrait rather than anything deeper. He might as well have gotten Mike Myers to play Bush.

Jeff

#150 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:The only way this film will work is if it taps into Bush's arrogance, rather than his stupidity.
The posters make it look like they're aiming for both:

..........STUPID.....................ARROGANT.........