The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
captveg

Re: The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles, 2018)

#301 Post by captveg » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Can someone remind me - was it the case that when the Indiegogo was passed to Netflix funding that those who contributed at the level that would receive a BD/DVD were essentially denied that specific perk? I seem to recall that being the case, which means I'll just end up purchasing the BD (UHD?) when Criterion finally does release it.

Roger Ryan

#302 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:19 pm

captveg wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:31 pm
Can someone remind me - was it the case that when the Indiegogo was passed to Netflix funding that those who contributed at the level that would receive a BD/DVD were essentially denied that specific perk? I seem to recall that being the case, which means I'll just end up purchasing the BD (UHD?) when Criterion finally does release it.
I don't believe there was ever a statement saying that the Blu-ray perk was not going to happen. While I don't know any details, it would make sense for a set number of (an eventual) Criterion release be set aside to mail to Indiegogo contributors instead of the original producers going to the expense of having Blu-rays produced themselves (and the Criterion release would presumably have better bonus content, packaging, etc. so it would be a better deal for contributors). Of course, this requires Criterion and Netflix to actually arrange for the film to be released on disc, so...

I was surprised to hear through the grapevine about a year back that the producers were still trying to get a coffee table book published, primarily to fulfil that perk for contributors, but various factors prevented that from happening.

captveg

#303 Post by captveg » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:01 pm

Appreciate the feedback.

Stefan Andersson

#304 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:47 pm

New correspondence re: The Other Side of the Wind uncovered in Turin, Italy:
https://www.wellesnet.com/directors-company-other-wind/

FrauBlucher

#305 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#306 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:48 pm

Jonathan Rosenbaum claims Criterion told him they will not be releasing the film. I'm a bit skeptical of his claim, which is that Criterion won't release it because it's not PC.

diamonds

#307 Post by diamonds » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:23 pm

Drucker wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:48 pm
Jonathan Rosenbaum claims Criterion told him they will not be releasing the film. I'm a bit skeptical of his claim, which is that Criterion won't release it because it's not PC.
It's so over.

In fairness, he admits in the clip that it's pure speculation on his part and that they provided no official reason. (But realistically, if it's not a rights issue there don't seem to be many other options. Given that it's Welles.)

The Fanciful Norwegian

#308 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:33 pm

He wrote the same thing a few months ago in a Cinema Scope column where he also alleged that PC concerns were the reason Criterion put out Cooley High but not Car Wash or The Glass Shield—never mind that Car Wash is still in print from Shout or that The Glass Shield is tied up with the Miramax catalog. So forgive me if I don't put any stock in this claim. (Should also be added that Wellesnet reported late last year that the decision rests with Netflix.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#309 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:53 pm

Didn't a bunch of people contribute to a crowdfunding campaign with the promise of an eventual Blu-ray release?

bearcuborg

#310 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:30 am

Ray Kelly of Wellesnet gave a lecture at the ongoing, 7 part series at the Free Library in Philadelphia...and he basically said that he can't say for certainty it won't happen, but Netflix has no plans and specifically, no interest in producing a physical copy.

yoloswegmaster

#311 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:53 am

From Wellesnet:
Netflix today released its viewership report of 18,220 programs for the first half of 2023. I cringed to see the Orson Welles documentary THEY'LL LOVE ME WHEN I'M DEAD placed at No. 17,812. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND was not included in the report.
Insane how Netflix buried this film