Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan, 2023)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
jsteffe

Re: Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan, 2023)

#76 Post by jsteffe » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:08 pm

Persona wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:27 am
It's been a while since I have been in a theater where a movie that is aiming for impossibly big feelings, thoughts, and sensations actually imparted the power of that ambition in my experience of it. For all and whatever its flaws, OPPENHEIMER did that for me. And it apparently did that for most of my audience, too. 3 hours of heady talking in a bleak biopic that ended late on a Monday night and my audience clapped at the end (I can't remember the last time I heard applause for a movie, that it should happen after a film such as this seems quite strange).
A number of people in the audience clapped at the end of the screening I went to this weekend as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the film and how you encapsulate what it accomplishes. I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything that the film is doing. Another thing I think it attempts is to put us in the middle of history and politics as they unfold. The people centrally involved recognize that they are doing something important, but they can't see the full implications of it. They tell their own narratives about what is happening and what it means, but even they don't have access to the full picture and perhaps never will.

Regardless of whether one considers OPPENHEIMER 100% artistically successful, it is incredibly encouraging to see a film like this succeed at the box office. I'd like to see a few more films like this become surprise hits and a few more Marvel/DC films disappoint the studio executives.

Mr Sausage

#77 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:34 pm

Some of my favourite scenes were the early ones at Berkeley, like when they first learn the atom has been split, and Oppenheimer tries to show its theoretical impossibility while his colleague hurries off to replicate it. And the moment of hushed realization when they both observe the phenomenon with their own eyes. The rush and excitement of discovery is so palpable that you feel exactly what propelled these scientists towards the a-bomb project. You feel the intellectual atmosphere of the times. The sense of these people living within and interacting with history, including the history of ideas, is excellently done and a real pleasure.

ford

#78 Post by ford » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:03 am

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:34 pm
Some of my favourite scenes were the early ones at Berkeley, like when they first learn the atom has been split, and Oppenheimer tries to show its theoretical impossibility while his colleague hurries off to replicate it. And the moment of hushed realization when they both observe the phenomenon with their own eyes. The rush and excitement of discovery is so palpable that you feel exactly what propelled these scientists towards the a-bomb project. You feel the intellectual atmosphere of the times. The sense of these people living within and interacting with history, including the history of ideas, is excellently done and a real pleasure.
Perfectly encapsulated in the early montage with Picasso and Stravinsky, and Oppenheimer's quip about "revolution" being everywhere -- science, art, politics. Loved it.

flyonthewall2983

#79 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:30 am

“The bomb is a naturally nervous subject”, was my review to mom about the role anxiety plays in this movie. My own experience with it has defined the course of my life to such a degree, combined with the progress on how far the ladder I’ve come off in terms of re-gathering perspective that can even me out on bad days, made viewing this such a uniquely cathartic experience.

bearcuborg

#80 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:48 am

For me, this movie was a massive disappointment. Had this not been a 70mm film, I doubt I've ever would have enthusiastically sought out a Nolan picture. Sure, they created black & white IMAX 70mm stock, but I don't know why. I don't even know why this had to be shown on an IMAX screen. And yet, if you take away the savvy way this movie has been hyped, it's still not very good.

The Picasso cameo felt superficial to me...more of a Nolan artistic flourish than one of real conviction. I know the painting used in the film, and it seems unlikely Oppenheimer could have seen it, and I wasn't persuaded to think it would have had that affect on him - so that moment took me out of the picture.

Anything relating to his Jewish identity didn't land for me. Despite others finding the splitting of the atom sequence exciting, I didn't find the science compelling either. In the far superior 1980 BBC 7hr mini series both issues are riveting and thought provoking. Here Nolan seems more comfortable indulging his pedantic need for intricacy, leaving Oppenheimer's Jewish identity and the science to feel perfunctory as they relate to this film.

What does work is the bomb sequence, at least most of it - the POV reaction Oppenheimer has after Trinity feels like awkward avant-garde. However the build up is gripping and surprisingly I was overwhelmed with emotion, like those who worked that the actual project. Florence Pugh is a real standout too. David Krumholtz is straight out of the era, and I was pleasantly reminded of a young Michael Lerner!

I saw Momento in the theater, but never held much affection for the movie. Apart from Inception, which I didn't care for, or remember...I've only seen his Batman movies. I'm not a fan of those either, and the clumsy scene where Robert Downey Jr.'s character is told one of the dissenting votes came from an unknown senator (spoiler alert, it's JFK) felt like when we find out the young cop in Batman is Robin...

The score is a pulsating Johnny Greenwood type, and perhaps it is used quite well in the 3rd act of the film - but I found it perfunctory overall. However that part of the film drastically shifts the emphasis with what we get in the previous 2hrs. The last hour is punishing, and I assume Nolan meant it to be. However I was reminded of color and talk being used to much greater effect by Oliver Stone and Robert Richardson in Nixon. However Nolan failed to obtain my focus, or interest so by the time we get to pay off of his "Rosebud" like mystery for the RDJ character I forgot what I so genuinely felt during the Los Alamos sequence.

Doctor Atomic and the BBC Oppenheimer are still the ones to see, both being more engrossing, and inventive. I caught this at king of Prussia in one of the few theaters able to show 70mm IMAX film. The crowd I was with felt the need to applaud. I assume it was for Nolan, but hopefully not the projectionist who left his window uncovered leaving a distracting light defect on the screen for the film's duration.
Last edited by bearcuborg on Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#81 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:24 am

Well I'm glad Bearcuborg is dissenting with me. I felt pretty dumb the other day and certainly didn't mean to imply the film would be better if it had clearly illustrated whether or not Oppenheimer was a smart, or if it ascribed a moral value to intelligence! I realize that comment came off wrong. However, thinking about the film for several days and reading all of your accolades about it, I still wish the film had been a bit slower, and not as frenetically paced. Some of those early moments in Berklee didn't register for me as well because I just don't feel like we got enough time with them. Even when we are meeting people at the first party at Berklee, where Oppenheimer and Jean sleep together, even in that part of the film, it felt edited in the same style as the rest of the film: fast paced in a way that made me almost confused, like Nolan is trying to keep the viewer disoriented. I can see how that was effective for some parts of the film, but it really didn't work for me here.

As I was thinking about the film the other day, I remembered my feelings about Inception when I saw it in theaters (the only time I've watched it). I felt like the film was good, but I was frustrated that everything had to go perfectly right for the characters. I remember there were many scenes where the question was "will they make it" and sure and luckily enough, the heroes of the film always got out of the jam they were about to be faced with. Even given the film's runtime, I didn't feel like there was a moment to face adversity, or re-group, or take a breath. I felt similarly with Oppenheimer, that the best moments of the film were when Nolan managed to take a breath (again, the Trinity sequence, with lawn chairs and blankets on the desert ground). But there weren't enough moments like this. The moments that seem to have resonated with a lot of you just didn't hit for me because they felt over before they began. I wish I had loved this movie and look forward to revisiting.

therewillbeblus

#82 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:06 pm

Drucker wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:24 am
I still wish the film had been a bit slower, and not as frenetically paced. Some of those early moments in Berklee didn't register for me as well because I just don't feel like we got enough time with them. Even when we are meeting people at the first party at Berklee, where Oppenheimer and Jean sleep together, even in that part of the film, it felt edited in the same style as the rest of the film: fast paced in a way that made me almost confused, like Nolan is trying to keep the viewer disoriented. I can see how that was effective for some parts of the film, but it really didn't work for me here.
Yeah, that doesn't gel so well for this kind of character development, especially when it's unclear whether Nolan wants us to follow a trajectory of typical cinematic knowledge of a character or give us snapshots to locate a feeling that feeds the enigmatic element. His ambiguity around Oppenheimer's enigmatic status works well in stages of how he's psychologically and philosophically engaging with his historical choices, but isn't quite effective with these intimate relationships perceived as fleeting under Nolan's quick-cutting film grammar but also meant to convey depth and meaning with roots over time. The Bear is a recent show that effectively gave us single day-slices of significance for characters, subverting the audience expectation to be in the sidecar for all the stages of change in a relationship, self-betterment, etc., but that worked because it was so obviously doing that and consistently so. Nolan seems to want to have his cake and eat it too here, and the style doesn't apply successfully across the board, though I still enjoyed those early scenes because of the experimental-cinema form which aptly communicated the innerworkings of an overstimulated young mind. I was less sold on the romantic investments.

John Cope

#83 Post by John Cope » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:30 pm

Noaln's greatest film? Maybe. Very possibly. I am by no means the biggest fan of his but this follows through upon and fully realizes the promise of its premise. When it was first announced I was actually excited for this despite being generally ambivalent about Nolan. It just seemed to me that this was the perfect project for him, tailor made for his sensibility. Obviously there are some (i.e. Richard Brody) who think it's too perfect for him, playing too much into his self-seriousness. But if there was ever a project that's utterly appropriate to channel that into surely it must be this. And that seriousness is evidenced too in the not inconsiderable cinematic acumen he applies. Stone's JFK has been mentioned by many as a relevant reference point and it absolutely is but so is Nic Roeg, who originated so much of this style of swirling fragmentation. Oppenheimer is, however, slightly more subdued in that technique as befits its subject but only slightly and that modification is itself made of minimal significance given the film's formal mode of extending this technique from beginning to end. It is relentless and exhausting but what is relentless and exhausting about it is not so much the narrative as the consideration of its ideas; Nolan finds a way to accommodate subjects clearly of great interest to him within a cinematic medium, a pop cinema distillation. To paraphrase the Pugh character from early in the film, it's not the medium, it's the ideas that drive it. The film is more about an intensified examination of dense layers of theory than it is about being much of a meditation or rumination upon them; there simply is no time here for that level of reflection and that too may be an insight.

Again, as befits its subject, the film's concentration upon its ideas and its eliding of any actual visualizing of combat keeps it profoundly theoretical and abstract throughout (as does the focus upon the various hearings); part of Nolan's focus here is exactly on working out a kind of parallel issue to the scientists he documents: how to bridge the gap or find and infuse the polarities of a kind of transcendent theory and the humanity that is conversant with it. He does this in a variety of ways. From a pure pop cinematic standpoint he employs not just a distinctively kaleidoscopic technique but also the virtual perversity of towering IMAX close-ups for what is mostly a film of tremendous intimacy. That seemingly paradoxical decision actually serves to emphasize that tension between the two extremes as does the almost insanely grand baroque score, a perfect complement to a relentless montage; the film is indeed operatic in that way (one wonders what Philip Glass would think of it), highlighting the significance in all the details, not just the most obvious ones (I have to admit that I'd kind of like that vast fucking chasm of sound to open up as I'm walking into the parking lot from the 7/11 with my Slushie). The sound walls overwhelm all but put all in high relief until one sudden moment of exquisite and profound silence. The dialogue is sharp and smart but it's almost self-consciously positioned as pop dramatic dialogue, hitting the highlights of any brief scene, bridging the gap then between rarefied ideas and a pop idiom of expression and mass communication. Nolan does a great deal visually as well, most obviously in the bomb test sequence but also in less notable ways throughout: the scene following the dropping of the bomb in which Oppenheimer addresses an assembly is, I think, already justifiably famous, a magnificently realized moment of a cinematically expressive subjective state; just as striking in a similar way for me, but much more subdued, is the scene with Truman in which the framing draws our eye (as an extension of Oppenheimer's) to the giant globe next to the President's aide which can't help but scream world domination by this point.

Beyond the strictly cinematic though we get into the substance of Nolan's concern with his subject. And as much as there is a relentless barrage of details related to the scientific specifics these are understood finally as adjacent to the practical world and all understood as along a continuum that extends from what lies beyond or at the source of external manifestations, with the embodied world then as an epiphenomenal veneer, however pronounced and present that may be to us. It's this realm of ultimacy and finality that draws the attention and ambition of the film and its central figure. Oppenheimer is addressed directly at one point as one who sees beyond the reality we all recognize that we inhabit; in this regard he is the prophet figure he is also referred to as. Intuition is understood as a baseline and what is consistently emphasized is that theory can only get you so far. The great Indian metaphysician Ananda Coomaraswamy pointed out that once lived experience verified belief in some way or other then that belief was no longer faith as faith had been surpassed. And this is of course what we get here as theory is not only realized in practical reality but finally understood as always already there, indivisible from it, just perhaps not recognized or understood. This is certainly a resolutely secular film but there are metaphysical intimations throughout: the brief reference to divine power, the men lying down in prostrate supplication before the detonation, the Trinity designation itself, the Bhagavad Gita reference, the invocation of the Prometheus myth; the apocalyptic is, after all, a theological category. This aspect is super-natural in the truest sense of nature at its apex, however inaccessible that may be to us now; this is a conflation Nolan seems to recognize well given his various narrative explorations of borderline subjects, perhaps especially the magic of The Prestige. This is the positive side; the negative, reductive side is glimpsed in those within the practical sphere who seek to harness knowledge for destructive ideologically inclined ends.

The film's seriousness about an ethical examination of all this is clear as well in how much screen time (not only the last hour) is given over to that. That's what all the endless seeming interrogations and congressional hearings are about. Not so much that these are sincere efforts by those involved to get at an ethical truth but that they posit the subject for our own consideration. This is also how the significance of the events and ideas surrounding Trinity seep out into the world beyond it, informing that world and transformed accordingly into whatever language is applicable. These scenes demonstrate how governments and nations respond, how big ideas are processed and/or subdued by them. As Liv Ullmann's physicist character says in my favorite movie Mindwalk (which actually references the Truman scene here): "I am responsible for the consequences of my discoveries. We never talked about responsibility at the University. Not in my time. We never discussed ethics. We were never taught value-thinking." This is the lament of Oppenheimer as well, the man and the movie, with the movie being finally a way of getting at an ethical awareness with Nolan's characteristic bombast harnessed for unique dramatic and philosophical effects.

Persona

#84 Post by Persona » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:39 pm

Thank you for sharing, John Cope, a lot of insight there.

I have to agree, I think there is a high degree of conceptual rigor to this film that never lets up, whatever the perceived narrative messiness might be as a product of that rigor's aims. The choices of framing, what is shown and what is not shown and how, what is heard and not heard, the fervent arrangement of all of that--it's always working on levels upon levels of intent. Nolan, Hoytema, Lame, Goransson, and the principal actors, everyone gave this movie maximum thought and investment, and I do think it shows.

Nolan and the same key crew tried to do that on TENET, too, but I feel like the very nature of that film had them sinking all their effort into a thematic blackhole, a film that is as much about the logistics of its own making as it is anything else. OPPENHEIMER's themes drive its creation; it's an incredibly rich text, executed with extreme cogency and detail, and though pompous its story often warrants that pomposity.

Quite rare that nearly everything in a 3 hour, dense, complex film with half a hundred speaking characters could feel like it plays into setting up the film's closing statement, but I do think that is the case with OPPENHEIMER. Those final moments bind and bring all the sprawl before them to a head. Then that cut to black like a period that punches through the page.

Out of the theater I liked the film and was fairly impressed, but also felt a bit addled and dazed by it. But in the days since, I haven't been able to stop mulling it over. Can't remember the last time that a film that financially qualifies as a "blockbuster" has given me this much to chew on.

flyonthewall2983

#85 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:32 am

The music is incredible. There’s something incredibly prescient in the tension it creates as it also feels like how movies used to sound.

Monterey Jack

#86 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:21 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:32 am
The music is incredible.
The music made me feel like this by the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJZ28RuJaw

I think there had to have been less than ten minutes' worth of footage in the movie without the score screaming at the audience, and it was maddening.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#87 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:36 pm

Monterey Jack wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:21 pm

Which joke can now be clearly heard

hearthesilence

#88 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:12 pm

FWIW, if the dialogue itself sounded a little crummy (in terms of sound quality, not in terms of how it was written), Nolan insists on using on-set sound instead of ADR because “I like to use the performance that was given in the moment rather than the actor re-voice it later, which is an artistic choice that some people disagree with, and that’s their right."

The idea in general makes great sense in certain contexts, but to be blunt, it seems pointless with the type of films Nolan makes. If we were talking about someone who was using long, unbroken takes, especially if no further takes were involved (see Rob Tregenza's Talking to Strangers which does just that), I would get it, but Nolan's films don't stray from the usual practice of creating a film out of numerous filmed takes. His use of multiple cameras doesn't change that, you still see scenes pieced together from different takes and from set-ups that were not done simultaneously - in other words, everyone's performance is ultimately pieced together in editing, which undermines this misguided notion that we're seeing some sort of pure, unfettered performance caught in a single ongoing moment. It just makes the clarity that's sacrificed all the more needless.

Persona

#89 Post by Persona » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:54 pm

As is the case with a lot of Nolan's M.O., I think the choice about ADR is less a philosophical one and more an aesthetic one. He doesn't like the sound of ADR, he doesn't like the feel of CG, so he uses these things as little as possible (but they do get used at times in his films). He likes to try to capture things in camera/on set as much as possible, for their texture, tactility, the ambience of the shot and the sound occurring during production.

Obviously Nolan's films are labored over in post-production and I don't think he would pretend otherwise, heck, he made a whole film about that, a formal construct mirroring the artifice that its story told (THE PRESTIGE). But he likes to capture as much of the raw ingredients as he can during production (to the extent of having B&W IMAX film created for shooting part of OPPENHEIMER instead of just giving it B&W treatment in post).

I think TENET was unbearable because it made such a point of its dialogue, which was too difficult to make out most of the time. OPPENHEIMER is much better balanced and I found myself enjoying the different feel that the film had both visually and aurally from so many of its Hollywood contemporaries. It's not a clean and neat film, by any means, it's a whirlwind that bellows. At the same time, I think you see and hear what you need to, and so the film successfully conveys a LOT.

hearthesilence

#90 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:15 pm

The aesthetic choices you're describing seem philosophical when it total they're all in the service of "[capturing] as much of the raw ingredients as he can during production." For the sake of argument, if we can say it's a matter of specific aesthetic tastes, it still comes off as dubious to me because the results don't seem aesthetically beneficial (and would also undermine the film's written word). The only thing that would really justify it would be a strong philosophical reason like the one I mentioned in the previous post, and even in that case it would impact more than what sound is used. (Also, not applicable here, but it would be acceptable for a low budget or student film as it could be a given that there would be technical deficiences.)

Mr Sausage

#91 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 pm

hearthesilence wrote: For the sake of argument, if we can say it's a matter of specific aesthetic tastes, it still comes off as dubious to me because the results don't seem aesthetically beneficial (and would also undermine the film's written word).
Nolan’s choice isn’t an aesthetic preference because you, an unrelated person, don’t see the benefit? This is not a convincing argument.
“hearthesilence” wrote:The only thing that would really justify it would be a strong philosophical reason like the one I mentioned in the previous post, and even in that case it would impact more than what sound is used.
Your insistence that aesthetic preference is insufficient to explain aesthetic choices is baffling to me. Surely that’s the necessary condition? Someone making aesthetic choices with little to no aesthetic interest in them, but solely because of a general aesthetic philosophy, is much harder to imagine.

hearthesilence

#92 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:05 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 pm
Nolan’s choice isn’t an aesthetic preference because you, an unrelated person, don’t see the benefit? This is not a convincing argument.
That's not a correct interpretation of what I'm saying at all - when I call it dubious, it can still be an aesthetic preference, just a poor one.

Mr Sausage

#93 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:21 pm

What does your preference in this case have to do with whether or not it was a philosophical choice on Nolan’s part? It’s almost like you’re trying to claim that no one could ever think this was a good choice, so there must be some other reason, some philosophy compelling Nolan to make bloody-minded choices that he deludes himself into thinking are good despite the evidence in front of his face. And that would be a pretty bad argument.

hearthesilence

#94 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:49 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:21 pm
What does your preference in this case have to do with whether or not it was a philosophical choice on Nolan’s part? It’s almost like you’re trying to claim that no one could ever think this was a good choice, so there must be some other reason, some philosophy compelling Nolan to make bloody-minded choices that he deludes himself into thinking are good despite the evidence in front of his face. And that would be a pretty bad argument.
That's not my argument either. We're having a semantics problem. Give me a minute to respond.

flyonthewall2983

#95 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:53 pm

I felt like I had a good grip of what was going on dramatically and being engulfed enough by the imax to feel the intent all the way through. This has some of the most unsettling things I’ve ever experienced but the trick is not minding that it hurts I guess.

Mr Sausage

#96 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:
That's not my argument either. We're having a semantics problem. Give me a minute to respond.
I assumed you were still trying to argue that Nolan’s choices had to be philosophical, but were you instead simply saying that a philosophical defense was the only way you, as a viewer, could accept them, because aesthetically they’re bad?

hearthesilence

#97 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:16 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:58 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:
I assumed you were still trying to argue that Nolan’s choices had to be philosophical, but were you instead simply saying that a philosophical defense was the only way you, as a viewer, could accept them, because aesthetically they’re bad?
Yes, that's generally what I'm trying to say. In retrospect, I probably could've limited my response to Persona's post to just the third sentence, and that would've made things less confusing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#98 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:49 am

Well I don't know how much this has to do with it being the original natural performance, but I found the timbre of Cillian Murphy's voice in this to be incredibly soothing, with a dash of both Daniel Plainview and Kiefer Sutherland's character from Dark City.

This concludes my thoughts on the film.

flyonthewall2983

#99 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:39 pm

This feels somewhat in debt to There Will Be Blood, more clearly defined when Nolan and Murphy rave about it here. I watched it straight after my IMAX date with this, and I was weirdly inspired to find this piece by Tangerine Dream recorded in 1972, the strings heavily reminiscent of what Greenwood did with that score. As for this there are some moments I was reminded of Morricone's work, especially that bell you hear a few times and noticeable for me when Oppenheimer is last seen at Berkeley.

flyonthewall2983

#100 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:58 pm

Monterey Jack wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:21 pm
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:32 am
The music is incredible.

I think there had to have been less than ten minutes' worth of footage in the movie without the score screaming at the audience, and it was maddening.
That works for me. I think it would be interesting if Nolan somehow limited or did away with music entirely in his next film, some of the things he did with sound (particularly in the editing) achieved some of the same things Zimmer banged about with on the Batman movies and Inception, but its the feet stomping in the auditorium.