The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun (Wes Anderson, 2021)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
flyonthewall2983

Re: The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun (Wes Anderson, 2021)

#226 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:07 pm

I rented it from Apple

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#227 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:07 am

I was pretty sure this was Anderson’s worst film until the last segment, where he started to right the ship just enough to keep it from the precipice (while still dwelling in the lowest ranks). The talent for being able to create these fascinatingly intricate exhibitions of style needs to be tempered with some sense of appropriate restraint and a functional necessity for the tricks shown, otherwise it’s just indulgent showing off, which comes across as insecurity here. This is just too much for too little. I get his jokes and references, they’re just not funny. And I get his style, but I’ve seen it before. While watching, I kept coming back to the idea that the only possible move for Anderson to pivot to is not further maximalization (this film was barely coherent, any deeper in this direction and it will just become a collection of GIPHY links) but some form of restraint. Give us a small scale story, where the stylistic accoutrements flavor and highlight the action versus being the raison d’etre, or include me out. Because I can’t take too many more Anderson films like this.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#228 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:32 am

I'm more or less with you even if I do ultimately like the film; your old comment about just how much worse Grand Budapest would have been without Fiennes as an anchoring central figure looms all over this one (and five minutes of Bill Murray doing his usual shtick doesn't pick up the slack). There's a reason so much of social media cited the beautiful closing moments of the third segment as a highlight: it's the only bit of the film that sat with its characters. For me, the most disappointing element of the film was just how quantity-over-quality Anderson managed to get with regards to his formerly-mastered bags of tricks - we have (Adobe Flash-looking) propulsive animated action scenes in the third segment and the invocation of a language barrier through colorful on-screen subtitles in the second, but neither of these features were deployed with anything near the meaning or craft found in his wacky talking dog movie (a masterpiece in comparison and on its own).

ChunkyLover

#229 Post by ChunkyLover » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:07 am
I was pretty sure this was Anderson’s worst film until the last segment, where he started to right the ship just enough to keep it from the precipice (while still dwelling in the lowest ranks). The talent for being able to create these fascinatingly intricate exhibitions of style needs to be tempered with some sense of appropriate restraint and a functional necessity for the tricks shown, otherwise it’s just indulgent showing off, which comes across as insecurity here. This is just too much for too little. I get his jokes and references, they’re just not funny. And I get his style, but I’ve seen it before. While watching, I kept coming back to the idea that the only possible move for Anderson to pivot to is not further maximalization (this film was barely coherent, any deeper in this direction and it will just become a collection of GIPHY links) but some form of restraint. Give us a small scale story, where the stylistic accoutrements flavor and highlight the action versus being the raison d’etre, or include me out. Because I can’t take too many more Anderson films like this. Give us a small scale story, where the stylistic accoutrements flavor and highlight the action versus being the raison d’etre, or include me out. Because I can’t take too many more Anderson films like this.
I felt pretty much the same. As a long time Wes Anderson fan, I was disappointed. The whole film, I just found it uninteresting with characters I didn't really give a shit about.

pistolwink

#230 Post by pistolwink » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:23 am

I rewatch Moonrise Kingdom pretty often and it's striking how, although by most other filmmakers' standards it's mannered and fussy, it has the kind of breathing room that Anderson really hasn't allowed himself since. And most of the intricate motifs are tied into emotions that are very simple and plangent.

therewillbeblus

#231 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:15 am

pistolwink wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:23 am
I rewatch Moonrise Kingdom pretty often and it's striking how, although by most other filmmakers' standards it's mannered and fussy, it has the kind of breathing room that Anderson really hasn't allowed himself since. And most of the intricate motifs are tied into emotions that are very simple and plangent.
Agreed, while I still prefer the raw angst of his earlier pre-self-actualization work, it's one of my favorites and bests many of those earlier films, and a perfect crossover between that further push for intricate detail and stripped-down emotional resonance not getting swallowed up by a priority for aesthetic interest. Also, as an aside, the final "Cuckoo" music cue is my favorite in Anderson's entire oeuvre, which is saying something

Kat

#233 Post by Kat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:35 pm

this page, page 10, has made me laugh and also cry

is it possible we are all repressed film makers? or frustrated ones? or think we are. Some of what has been said seems to be aesthtetic judgement of his aesthetic against what you feel it should be -- but, like, people, it's his aesthetic to make it like he needs it and for us to then think on why he might have made it that way (to the extent anyoen can make anythign be the way they want it)
and as for comedy in TFD, did you notice how he seems to be a little off the beat of the laughs some of the time -- like he is suggesting it, but delivers it a bit different, sometimes making me wonder if it was comedy at all (e.g. the big fight in the exhibition -- whilst the swtich on of power to the chair was more as expected)

I'll be away for an undisclosed number of weeks, so say what you like, maybe I'll see it sometime

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#234 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:07 am

Finally saw this, and it's certainly his most mechanical film, like one of those Rube Goldberg videos that starts in a room, goes outside, starts climbing up trees, crossing rivers, scaling hills, casting Ed Norton, etc. In a lot of ways it's like another try at GBH, only I thought this one landed better. It's so busy and technically accomplished and fast-moving that I can see this all being distancing, but I was really in the mood for it today. (And perhaps it helped going in with no or low expectations.) Actually, if you break Anderson's filmography into coming-of-age vs. show-offy films, this might be my favorite of the latter category, at least following first impressions. I loved the attention shown to faces, especially for McDormand, Seydoux, Murray, and Dafoe. And what a discovery Lyna Khoudri is!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#235 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:48 am

Still waiting to see this... (alas)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#236 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:03 am

I still rent physical Blu-rays from Netflix and this is how long it took to get to me, having it at the top of my queue since January

hearthesilence

#237 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:50 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:07 am
Finally saw this, and it's certainly his most mechanical film, like one of those Rube Goldberg videos that starts in a room, goes outside, starts climbing up trees, crossing rivers, scaling hills, casting Ed Norton, etc. In a lot of ways it's like another try at GBH, only I thought this one landed better. It's so busy and technically accomplished and fast-moving that I can see this all being distancing, but I was really in the mood for it today. (And perhaps it helped going in with no or low expectations.) Actually, if you break Anderson's filmography into coming-of-age vs. show-offy films, this might be my favorite of the latter category, at least following first impressions. I loved the attention shown to faces, especially for McDormand, Seydoux, Murray, and Dafoe. And what a discovery Lyna Khoudri is!
I felt the same way. I didn't think it was going to be a favorite - and it's not - but it's got some great set pieces. The one that turns into a shootout later on was pretty amazing - as I watched that, I thought "if this was coming from someone else or it was, say, 1995 and everyone saw this plopped in the middle of a crime comedy, they'd be knocked out by the entire spectacle of it." Highly entertaining stuff, worth catching.

black&huge

#238 Post by black&huge » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:43 am

Considering how entertainingly busy this fim is it took me a bit to realize that...
SpoilerShow
this movie has a pretty high body count and so far is the one Wes Anderson film that has the highest
I also enjoyed the not so subtle nods to Tati. People have said Grand Budapest is the "most Wes Anderson" fim but it is definitely this one even though he tries a few new things out here