DC Comics on Film

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Apperson

Re: DC Comics on Film

#326 Post by Apperson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#327 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 am

This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.
This is hilarious spin. "Obviously DC couldn't keep Cavill on since he's not a newborn baby!"

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#328 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 pm

I thought that Kara was technically older than Kal-El, but when she arrives on Earth, she's actually younger looking than him because of the extra time spent in space ?

Apperson

#329 Post by Apperson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Also I just found this piece of hilarious boot-licking from Forbes about the situation, and I highly recommend you read it.
Last edited by Apperson on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PfR73

#330 Post by PfR73 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Apperson wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm
Also I just found this piece of hilarious boot-licking from Forbes about the situation, and I highly recommend you read it.
Your link goes to the same Hollywood Reporter article already linked above, not a Forbes article.

Apperson

#331 Post by Apperson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm
Apperson wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:08 pm
Your link goes to the same Hollywood Reporter article already linked above, not a Forbes article.
Thanks, it's now fixed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#332 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm

That Forbes piece is a riot! I know most of us say this to ourselves countless times a day, but good lord do I hate the Internet

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#333 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm

We have been getting by just fine for decades without a good Superman film

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#334 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Mods will be organizing these catch-all comic book threads into more readable dedicated threads. Watch this space for links to specific films or franchises within the DC Film Universe. Please use the individual threads below to discuss these specific films, and not this catch-all DC thread

Aquaman
Joker (2019)
Suicide Squad / Birds of Prey Series
Wonder Woman / Wonder Woman 1984

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#336 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

That’s a real shame... he’s been taking on such interesting projects, and I’m sure his participation in a lot of those independent productions has been key to getting them financed. I suppose if this makes him an even bigger international star and he’s be able to leverage that to do even more of that kind of work, this could be worth the opportunity cost of losing him from the independent world for a year-plus.

captveg

#337 Post by captveg » Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 pm

He'll be in Nolan's film next summer, so it seems like he's ready to swing back into the bigger tentpole projects.

jbeall

#338 Post by jbeall » Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 pm

cantinflas

#339 Post by cantinflas » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 am

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#340 Post by Never Cursed » Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Last edited by Never Cursed on Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beamish14

#341 Post by beamish14 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Dear WB:

Would it be possible for you to restore films that actually deserve a reappraisal, like Being Human (1993) and Mike's Murder (1984)? Much obliged.

Also, if HBO Max is the venue for projects like this, what about the original version of Cloud Atlas that was rumored to hit Netflix?

Nasir007

#342 Post by Nasir007 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 pm

I am legitimately shocked this is actually going to see the light of day. Wow!

The movie industry has changed in ways we can't even imagine.

This seems absolutely unprecedented to me.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#343 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm

This has been memed into oblivion at this point, so much so that I have no idea why there has been such overwhelming demand for it. What are people expecting from this, exactly?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#344 Post by cdnchris » Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm

A less shittier piece of shit I suspect

Altair

#345 Post by Altair » Wed May 20, 2020 3:39 pm

I mean the Extended 'R' rated cut of Batman v Superman was still a terrible film - adding more footage is not going to improve matters. But then again, the lengths to which fans have gone to campaign for this new cut of Justice League are so bizarre, clearly Warner Bros think they can get some money back from this project...

Mr Sausage

#346 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed May 20, 2020 3:47 pm

Nasir007 wrote:I am legitimately shocked this is actually going to see the light of day. Wow!

The movie industry has changed in ways we can't even imagine.

This seems absolutely unprecedented to me.
Not really. Warners did it once before with the Richard Donner cut of Superman II

Nasir007

#347 Post by Nasir007 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Altair wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:39 pm
I mean the Extended 'R' rated cut of Batman v Superman was still a terrible film - adding more footage is not going to improve matters. But then again, the lengths to which fans have gone to campaign for this new cut of Justice League are so bizarre, clearly Warner Bros think they can get some money back from this project...
I am amazed this makes business sense. Which is what I was getting at with the film industry transforming into a streaming model.

This would never ever ever ever happen with a theatrical model.

A film - hated by critics, hated by fans, bombs and loses money. But a small toxic fanbase asks for the original version of the movie and they are actually going to get it and the studio is going to spend an additional 30 million dollars on a failed movie just for a streaming re-release!

If the new version turns out terrible - they get horrible publicity for making such a stupid call and sinking so much money into something that was worse. If it is better, they get bad publicity for pulling it in the first place. I just wonder what the upside could possibly be.

But clearly, there is something they are seeing in it. Probably the notoriety of it is enough to drive subscriptions for HBO Max.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#348 Post by Never Cursed » Wed May 20, 2020 4:24 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:19 pm
This has been memed into oblivion at this point, so much so that I have no idea why there has been such overwhelming demand for it. What are people expecting from this, exactly?
After the film's troubled production came to light (and Snyder effectively cast himself/was cast by angry fans as a classic misunderstood artist screwed by the execs), the movie became a fetish object just like any other unavailable film or cut of a film. Given earlier clamors for much smaller re-edits like the Final Cut of Blade Runner, it makes all too much sense to me why a crowd of misguided superfans would expect this to be a lost masterpiece. The thing that impresses me the most was that Warners agreed to let this happen at all. I don't see how releasing this doesn't put them in an entirely unavoidable catch-22 situation - to paraphrase from someone else, either the Snyder cut is terrible, fans are outraged, and Warners looks like suckers for allowing it to happen, or the Snyder cut is significantly better than the theatrical cut of Justice League, fans are outraged, and Warners looks like the monsters that ruined a good movie.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#349 Post by tenia » Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm

I hope to be wrong but I guess it'll only be vaguely less crappy than the cut that made it in the theaters, but we'll have the demonstration by the example and will FINALLY able to settle that and move on.

I especially hope it won't last 4 hours. I can't imagine 4 hours of this kind of movie.

As Never Cursed is pointing out, I don't understand either Warner's point in doing this. It's a lose-lose situation for them : either it still sucks but will have cost additionnal money to release another version of a shitty movie for no reason that pleasing some obsessive fans, or it doesn't and will only prove they're extremely poor project managers even when it cost that much.
Maybe they just don't care and simply hope to cash in.

captveg

#350 Post by captveg » Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 pm

Nasir007 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:22 pm
I am amazed this makes business sense.
Gotta look at it from AT&T's perspective. They didn't pay for Justice League's production. To them it was simply another movie in the library of their purchase of Time Warner.

So now they have the HBO Max launch, which they are investing $100 millions + into. A-level streaming series like The Crown and The Mandalorian cost $10m+ an episode to produce. So, for the price of 2-3 episodes of an A-level streaming show (the reported $20-30m to bring Snyder's JL across the finish line), they get to release a $300m+ produced film that already has a built in audience that has been literally begging to see it, plus all the free advertisement that has created. Pretty obvious greenlight from AT&T if there ever was one, strictly from a business move.

Speaking personally I love Man of Steel and really like the Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman, so I'm definitely glad Snyder's version of Justice League will be getting a belated release. Everything I've read about it's story outline is an improvement over what the studio released in 2017. At the very least restoring Junkie XL's original score and having Fabien Wagner's photography properly color timed as intended when shot should be aesthetically more pleasing, which is something I think even the most vocal of detractors to Snyder's films would agree is a positive thing.

Having it on streaming will help those not interested in it to sidestep it as well, so win-win there, IMO. Aside from the occasional outlier (Stranger Things, The Mandalorion, Roma, The Irishman, and so on), streaming shows/movies rarely catch the zeitgeist of theatrical films given big tentpole marketing. It's even less common for streaming content to hit the negative zeitgeist the way a big tentpole theatrical failure can. Snyder's historically divisive filmography is probably best suited for streaming media, where those that enjoy it can seek it out, and those who don't care for his work have plenty of other content that appeals to them just a click away. It's the most democratic venue of consumerism there is nowadays, even if it's much harder for any one program to capture the wide attention of the traditional theatrical release.

As for how this is a catch-22 for WB - I don't see it. For a couple years now they have been pretty clearly fine with just having DC films / TV shows do their own thing, and it's mostly working for them. They've stopped chasing the MCU in this way. They can have Joker and Aquaman and a TV version of The Flash all out there for the public to consume and trust the majority of the audience to get that they aren't connected, and that they don't need to be connected to like them (or not) each on their own merits.