Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
therewillbeblus

Re: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#1001 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:21 pm
SpoilerShow
I think Nasir’s asking whether retaining the structure of the resolution — with the cultists in the house, threatening to do the devil’s work — but having Cliff shoot them without the more exaggerated, prolonged melee would change the way people feel about the violence.
SpoilerShow
Yeah I get that, but it’s still brutal violence whether by a gun or by more ‘creative’ methods, and it seems like nitpicking at the specific details of how Cliff goes about killing the Manson family, when the proposed killing would still be killing and history is changed regardless, is strange to me - not in the sense that “less” would be more digestible to a person, but if the issue is the cathartic violence itself then changing the degree only services a subjective assessment of how an individual can stomach it which feels personalized and hypocritical (as long as it’s not upsetting to me, the violence itself is fine). That’s why I used perhaps a bad analogy, but I’ll rephrase - if one enjoys a romantic comedy whereby the viewer finds the personalities of the couple to be problematic and narcissistic but kinda fun so they rationalize their enjoyment of the film as acceptable if only the age difference was a tad more to their liking. I’m not suggesting that Nasir or anyone was actually arguing for this, and I think it’s fair to present it as a question but I also think that if one’s process was to forgive the cathartic violence in favor of such an option when the upsetting violence is the issue then I’d have a lot more questions as to why exactly we’re pitching these changes.

Nasir007

#1002 Post by Nasir007 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:48 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:27 pm
SpoilerShow
I thought nasir was building off of zedz's suggestion that Cliff confront the car rather than Rick.
I wasn't. Maybe I worded my post in a confusing manner. My alternative ending is based on what happens in the movie.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1003 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:58 pm

So was everyone else's, though

nitin

#1004 Post by nitin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:54 am

Re zedz’ point and mfunk’s response, at least since Kill Bill, hasn’t violence been the only solution that Tarantino employs to break tension/solve an impasse? I have liked his last 4 films but that’s the one aspect that makes the later ones not all that surprising and a bit repetitive, rewriting history or otherwise.

I realise there are very vocal defenders of Mr T here so just to be clear, this is not meant to be a hot take but a genuine question.

On another note, and apologies if this may have already been covered previously in the thread, but re Cliff and his wife,
SpoilerShow
the cut at the end of the scene is just as the boat starts to noticeably rock, and the last camera angle shows Cliff with the harpoon on his lap. I took the timing of that cut as possibly hinting that the harpoon fired accidentally when the boat rocked, but Cliff also feels guilty as he was actually thinking about firing the harpoon at that time.