The House That Jack Built (Lars von Trier, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

Re: The House That Jack Built (Lars von Trier, 2018)

#301 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:28 pm

IFC quietly dumped the unrated Director's Cut of this on iTunes, in the form of an extra made available when you rent/buy the R-Rated version. This is the first and only, as far as I know, Region A-friendly release of the director's cut since the theatrical showing, so those of you who can't import the Artificial Eye blu can now watch this fantastic film without cuts.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#302 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 pm

An extra? Lol, so I'm assuming it isn't eligible for Movies Anywhere? What a fucking mess, IFC.

Update: Amazon has it as a separate purchase, and it's $19.99, substantially more than the regular release at $19.99.

ANOTHER UPDATE: It looks like it's also separate on Vudu, at $12.99. And $15.99 on Google Play. So there are places to get it. But the film in either format isn't eligible for Movies Anywhere so make sure where you buy it will be compatible with where you want to watch it.

LAST UPDATE: I just purchased it on Vudu since it was the cheapest of any of the services and can confirm once and for all that the purchase doesn't carry over to any other services through Movies Anywhere or Ultraviolet. It just lives in Vudu, I can't find it in FandangoNOW, iTunes, Google Play, etc. Guessing that's an IFC limitation. Also, this isn't in 4K anywhere, also likely something IFC didn't bother to do. Oh well, at least the director's cut is out... baby steps.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#303 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:03 am

I don't think the movie has been finished at 4K nor graded in HDR, so I'm not surprised it's nowhere to be found in 4K.

I watched the movie on BD a few weeks ago, and most of the feedbacks above quite echo my view on this. I didn't like it so much, but didn't dislike it really either. There are some interesting elements, it's quite beautifully shot and Dillon is fantastic, but its scenario seems to only have for a goal to mostly troll the viewer in a very nihilistic way. Jack obviously is an unreliable megalomaniac narrator and it seemed as if I spent most of the movie facepalming myself by what was happening on-screen (though I didn't care much about the display of violence etc, because I've always looked at this kind of cinematic violence in a detached way).

The movie is playing with that, though, with Verge often questioning Jack's stories ("most of the women you're describing seems to be stupid" - which is quite true), but at 2h30 long, the movie seems very self-indulging too. It also can be hard sometimes to know if the scenario itself has plothole-style tropes or if it's just Jack being stupid or twisting the facts.

I'm not sure what to do with the ending though.
SpoilerShow
Is Jack finally punished by falling into the blackest pit, ie he gets punished as much as he made people suffer, or is he, in a way, escaping punishment by ending in a very abstract situation from which we don't know much about ? It felt to me as if we was, in any case, punished and thus his actions were condemned, but retrospectively, I wonder.
As for the Verge conversations, they seemed to me quite similar to the discussions with Seligman in Nymphomaniac, which also often seemed to me like pompous pseudo-analytical nonsense, though I'd take Verge's one as less serious and probably more in tone with Jack's high view of himself (while he actually doesn't seem that smart at all).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#304 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am

Tenia, having looked into the camera it was shot with, you're right. My bad.

Big Ben

#305 Post by Big Ben » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:41 am

Tenia in regards to your question:
SpoilerShow
I took it to mean he's condemned himself to the lowest pits. One of the interesting things is that Verge actually says that Jack isn't supposed to be on this level and that they still have a ways to go. Jack inquires about the steps and Verge tells him that they lead back up but that he has to make it around the pit to get there. Jack willingly and consciously chooses to try and get back up and well...falls in.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#306 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am
Tenia, having looked into the camera it was shot with, you're right. My bad.
I had to check myself again, so no problem. Plus, it's not as if plenty of 2K-finished movies were released in UHD...

Thanks Big Ben for the precision. I tend to think it's indeed the way it is supposed to be understood, but thinking about it, I wondered if there wasn't another way.
SpoilerShow
Ultimately, it might simply be another cocky move from Jack, who indeed willingly goes ahead despite Verge's warnings that nobody managed to go all the way around (IIRC), except this is the one that broke the camel's back and lost him for good.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#307 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 am

SpoilerShow
I think it's pretty clear that Jack has tried to outsmart the very concept of morality itself, and met his match when faced with the consequences of his actions. The film is actually, like much of von Trier's work, a very moral one - presenting to us someone who considers himself above the inherent obligation to lead a moral life, and is literally locked out of heaven, Bruno Mars-style, even though it doesn't even cross his mind that he won't be able to wriggle his way out of his predicament and get up there himself on the strength of his own smarts and ingenuity. Von Trier presents a reality where those things are absolutely worthless when one meets their maker. It's quite the rebuttal to the far right wing "facts and logic above personal morals" mindset that's so pervasive in recent years.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#308 Post by tenia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 pm

That was my original reading too, and the one I believe to be the most likely to be intended by LVT.

colinr0380

#309 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:41 am

I am still working up the nerve to sit down with this film, but I recently picked up the Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell graphic novel From Hell and was wondering if there are intended to be a few conscious allusions to it in the Von Trier film? In particular the 1922 prologue with Inspector Aberline, retired to Brighton on a police pension, speaks to his companion of the house bought with the career that would have been cut short if he had brought the high profile figure with Royal connections to justice as the prime suspect in the murders, as "The House That Jack Built".

And also in the Mary Kelly murder that comprises the entirety of Chapter 10 ("The Best of All Tailors") there are a couple of moments of clinical evisceration that sound similar to some of the things that I have heard about the most notorious scene in this film.

Nasir007

#310 Post by Nasir007 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:41 am
I am still working up the nerve to sit down with this film, but I recently picked up the Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell graphic novel From Hell and was wondering if there are intended to be a few conscious allusions to it in the Von Trier film? In particular the 1922 prologue with Inspector Aberline, retired to Brighton on a police pension, speaks to his companion of the house bought with the career that would have been cut short if he had brought the high profile figure with Royal connections to justice as the prime suspect in the murders, as "The House That Jack Built".

And also in the Mary Kelly murder that comprises the entirety of Chapter 10 ("The Best of All Tailors") there are a couple of moments of clinical evisceration that sound similar to some of the things that I have heard about the most notorious scene in this film.
It is a tough film but its reputation of being unwatchable is really exaggerated. There is violence but it is fleeting and not sustained.