127 The Third Secret

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

127 The Third Secret

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:05 am

THE THIRD SECRET
(Charles Crichton, 1964)
Release date: 18 February 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here

The apparent suicide of an eminent psychologist prompts his teenage daughter (Pamela Franklin – The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Legend of Hell House) and one of his patients (Stephen Boyd – Ben-Hur, Fantastic Voyage) to investigate. Convinced he was murdered, the two begin a journey into the lives and twisted psychoses of the doctor’s disturbed patients.

Directed by the great Charles Crichton (Dead of Night, The Lavender Hill Mob, A Fish Called Wanda), stunningly photographed by Douglas Slocombe (The Italian Job, Raiders of the Lost Ark), and starring an incredible cast which includes Jack Hawkins, Richard Attenborough, Diane Cilento and Judi Dench in one of her earliest screen roles, The Third Secret is a dark and elegant psychological thriller which has long been overlooked, but is now ripe for rediscovery.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with film historians Dean Brandum and Eloise Ross
• The BEHP Interview with Charles Crichton (1988): an archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the celebrated filmmaker in conversation with Sidney Cole
• The BEHP Interview with Douglas Slocombe (1988): an archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the renowned cinematographer in conversation with Sidney Cole
• Neil Sinyard on ‘The Third Secret’ (2019): a new appreciation by the author and film historian
• Crichton on Crichton (2019): filmmaker David Crichton gives a fascinating biographical overview of his father’s life and work.
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Robert Murphy, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD127
BBFC cert: PG
REGION B
EAN: 5037899071601

MichaelB

Re: 127 The Third Secret

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 am

Final specs:

Calvin

#3 Post by Calvin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 am

Not a film that I've seen or even heard of before the Indicator announcement, but it sounds terrific on paper and I'll definitely be getting it. The extras look delicious too; I suppose the 'Part One' on the Douglas Slocombe interview suggests that there will be a Part Two - The Later Years on a future release. If I was a betting man, I'd put some money on Ken Russell's The Music Lovers - the Final Cut DVD release looks to be OOP.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 am

There will indeed be a Slocombe part two, hopefully later this year, although I'm afraid you'd lose your bet as The Music Lovers is with MGM and Indicator doesn't have a deal with them.

Calvin

#5 Post by Calvin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am

MichaelB wrote:There will indeed be a Slocombe part two, hopefully later this year, although I'm afraid you'd lose your bet as The Music Lovers is with MGM and Indicator doesn't have a deal with them.
And that's why I'm not a betting man!

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am

I was initially asked to cut both down to 103 minutes so that they'd play as quasi-commentaries, but while this was pretty straightforward with Crichton (which wasn't that much longer in raw form, and you honestly didn't need the lengthy and often highly speculative discussion about why Ealing really closed its doors in 1957: the mere fact that this happened was sufficient for narrative purposes), it was all but impossible with Slocombe, where there was easily enough good material to span two full-length features. So I pitched the idea of a two-parter and thankfully they said yes.

Even more thankfully, there turned out to be a natural break halfway through the Slocombe material - part one covers childhood through WWII and Ealing (with a brief out-of-sequence flashforward to The Third Secret), while part two will be covering his international freelance career from roughly 1960 onwards, so they'll play just fine as separate listening experiences.

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am

I suppose it could be John Huston’s Freud, Joseph Losey’s Boom!, Robert Parrish’s The Marseille Contract, or Fred Zinnemann’s Julia? Unless it’ll be on Seth Holt’s Taste of Fear as part of one of the next Hammer sets?

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:28 am

It will be a film shot by Douglas Slocombe between 1960 and 1988. And that's all you'll get out of me.

rapta

#9 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 am

Just occurred to me that John Guillermin's The Blue Max is missing a UK Blu-ray release... ;)

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:11 am

Seriously, these posts are a complete waste of time. Not least mine.

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 pm

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:25 am

Sadly, the rights to this Fox (now Disney) title couldn't be renewed, and so The Third Secret will be going OOP even in the standard edition on 30 June 2023.

But it's still available as of today - and it's included in Powerhouse's 3 for £20 bundle, along with the other four affected titles (Dragonwyck, Little Murders, The St Valentine's Day Massacre, The Snake Pit).

More details here.