Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Der Spieler

Re: Arrow Films

#26 Post by Der Spieler » Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Awesome Welles wrote:
Der Spieler wrote:Is it the same transfer as the old SD?
It's the same transfer.
Pointless release then.

stephan73

#27 Post by stephan73 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Play.com have 4 Dario Argento Blu-Ray's for pre-order.
Titles to be released are Inferno, Deep Red, Phenomena and Bird with a Crystal Plumage!

These titles will also get a DVD release on the same date's!

Awesome Welles

#28 Post by Awesome Welles » Mon May 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Deep Red won't be blu.

Finch

#29 Post by Finch » Mon May 24, 2010 4:07 pm

We'll have to see if Arrow will include the original mono track on their Bird Blu and even if they do, I don't think I'll double-dip after being quite satisfied with the Blu Underground disc (missing mono track notwithstanding). Have to give Profundo Rosso another spin sometime - this might actually be an opportunity for Arrow to include both the Director's Cut and the shorter originally released US version and to include the final shot of David Hemmings over the credits as intended. Have not seen Inferno yet. Liked but didn't love Suspiria so I'm not sure I'd blind buy Inferno.

Der Spieler

#30 Post by Der Spieler » Mon May 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Don't buy 'Inferno'. It's pretty mediocre Argento, even by his own standards. I found it very laughable and the ending was probably one of the worst of his entire career. In fact I'd say he never made a truly good movie after 'Deep Red'. Even 'Suspiria' feels pretty dated.

NilbogSavant

#31 Post by NilbogSavant » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Der Spieler wrote:Don't buy 'Inferno'.
This is has been one of my least-favorite Argentos as well but I know it has many defenders so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Awesome Welles

#32 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue May 25, 2010 4:39 am

otis

#33 Post by otis » Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 am

NilbogSavant wrote:
This is has been one of my least-favorite Argentos as well but I know it has many defenders so I wouldn't rule it out completely.
To paraphrase Robin Wood, if you don't love Inferno, you don't really love cinema.

Awesome Welles

#34 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 am

City of the Living Dead on BD and DVD (seperate editions) released yesterday. On the Blu all special features with the exception of 'Fulci in the House' are HD and all (inc feature) region free.

Beaver

Awesome Welles

#35 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue May 25, 2010 9:05 am

Inferno cover art (1 of 4).
Inferno cover art (2 of 4).

Caligula cover art (1 of 4). Release details.

Both these releases come in a windowed slip box with reversible (4-panel) cover art options in the Arrow Video house style as seen in the label's previous 12 releases and the newer releases Caligula, City of the Living Dead DVD/BD and the upcoming Inferno.

Previous releases include:

The Card Player (Argento)
Sleepless (Argento)
The Stendhal Syndrome (Argento)
Terror at the Opera [Opera] (Argento)
Two Evil Eyes (Argento/Romero)
Macabre (L. Bava)
The House by the Cemetery (Fulci)
Blood Feast 2 (H. G. Lewis)
Street Trash (Munro)
Silent Night, Deadly Night (Sellier Jr.)
Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray (Romero)
Day of the Dead Blu-ray (Romero)

Arrow Video Collection

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 am

otis wrote:
NilbogSavant wrote:
To paraphrase Robin Wood, if you don't love Inferno, you don't really love cinema.
I'd certainly defend Inferno - parts of it are rather more than merely borderline incoherent, but it has a fever-dreamlike quality about it that Argento never really matched before or since. And the individual set-pieces, especially the underwater opening, rank very high amongst the best things he ever did (regardless of whether Mario Bava masterminded it). The underrated Keith Emerson score is almost subtle at times, which isn't a quality I generally associate with Argento's musical choices.

Awesome Welles

#37 Post by Awesome Welles » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am

If you're new to Arrow Video, this promo reel might explain a few things.

JamesF

#38 Post by JamesF » Tue May 25, 2010 12:51 pm

The Arrow release I'm really excited about is the 2-disc version of Martin they're bringing out on June 21st. It's my favourite Romero film, and they've really gone the extra mile to make it the definitive version. Sadly, the materials weren't up to snuff to do a Blu Ray.

# Original Theatrical Cut of the Film with 5.1 and Stereo Audio
# Choice of 16:9 and 4:3 Aspect Ratio Presentations
# ‘Wampyre’: The Italian Cut of the Film
o Italian Dialogue with Optional English Subtitles
o Musical Score by Goblin
# ‘Making Martin: A Recounting’
# Documentary on George A. Romero
# TV and Radio Spots
# Original Theatrical Trailer
# Photo Gallery
# Four Sleeve Art Options
# Double Sided Poster
# Exclusive Collector’s Booklet
# Six Original Poster Art Postcards

The commentary from the last edition by Romero, Savini, the Rubinsteins and Gornick is also to be included.

Awesome Welles

#39 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:54 am

James, you can win a copy of Martin by entering the #myDVDshelf competition on twitter, check out www.twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo

TonyleStephanois

#40 Post by TonyleStephanois » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 am

The BD and DVD of Inferno will be completely uncut for the first time in the UK.

Person

#41 Post by Person » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 pm

TonyleStephanois wrote:The BD and DVD of Inferno will be completely uncut for the first time in the UK.
What was previously cut in the UK? I live in the UK but have the R1 Anchor Bay edition. I quite like Inferno. Great locations, architecture, sets, lighting and a good score, but I concede that the plot is a bit barmy.

colinr0380

#42 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I have the same Region 1 Anchor Bay DVD so wasn't previously aware of the edits in the UK. It looks as if not a huge amount was previously cut - five seconds apparently, but it is interesting that the BBFC have relaxed on this issue.

TonyleStephanois

#43 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:28 am

The scene which was 'problematic' for the BBFC was five seconds in which a cat eats a mouse. Fortunately it was the power of the consumer that this was reversed as we had great support from the members of cult-labs forum who wrote to the BBFC. Inferno has never been released on DVD in the UK and any VHS release has had cuts (as well as the original theatrical cuts) as per the BBFC's website so for those people who have yet to import or might be seeing the film for the first time this is really great news.

Finch

#44 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Arrow's re-issue of Martin is reviewed here:

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/m/martin-arrow-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The anamorphic and fullscreen transfers are pretty much the same quality wise; fine but not great (color saturation varies) as you might expect given the 16mm source, it looks like the same ‘HD-mastered’ source as the US Lion’s Gate and previous Arrow releases. The film was shot fullscreen and that’s Romero’s preferred ratio for this movie so that’s the one to watch, the widescreen transfer is slightly softer and suffers from some edge enhancement but more importantly tends to cut off actors mouths in close-ups and in one instance completely cuts out a bullet to the forehead! Both the 2.0 and 5.1 audio tracks are clean and clear with little real difference between the two given the nature of the soundtrack.

TonyleStephanois

#45 Post by TonyleStephanois » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:40 am

Martin reviewers seem to have the first set of screeners we sent out where the was an audio synch problem, this has now been fixed. Here's some reviews:

Beaver
Brutal as Hell
Bloody Disgusting
Screenjabber

Interview with John Amplas

Jean-Luc Garbo

#46 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Amazon UK sent me an email saying that this is delayed until July 26th. They say they're out of stock.

TonyleStephanois

#47 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:25 am

Amazon are out of stock on Martin?

DanV

#48 Post by DanV » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:07 am

Could someone post some screencaps of Arrow's Wajda War Trilogy? How do the transfers compare to Criterion's? Thanks in advance.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#49 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am

TonyleStephanois wrote:Amazon are out of stock on Martin?
Amazon wrote:We are still awaiting stock from our suppliers.
That was the relevant part of the message. They haven't sold out (I was wrong); they're still waiting to fill orders. I'm surprised by the delay as it's been getting reviewed already, but I guess I can wait another month.

TonyleStephanois

#50 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:46 am

We are dealing with this so hopefully it won't be that long. Review copies are sent out ahead of the release date so they almost always have their review copies prior to release.