Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

M Sanderson

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Irresponsible Conject

#626 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:37 am

Calvin wrote:Anthony Nield recently tweeted about "going over the booklet content for a 2018 Arrow release that'll see much-needed restorations for three early works by a major filmmaker."

One possibility that would fit is an Early De Palma set. Last night a poster at Blu-Ray.com commented that he had "overheard a few people talking about an Early De Palma set coming. GREETINGS, HI MOM! and WEDDING PARTY. No GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT. Don't know if DIONYSUS is included."

If that's inaccurate, I suppose other possibilities would be Paul Verhoeven, Michael Haneke, or Peter Jackson.
I certainly hope it’s de Palma. If so, Arrow will have really comprehensively covered much of his career. I recall Greetings and especially Hi Mom as remarkable works.

I was hugely impressed by their releases of Obsession, The Fury, Carrie, Sisters and Raising Cain. Blow Out equalled the excellent Criterion edition (although minus the excellent Murder a la Mod) although Dressed to Kill was outdone by Criterion getting a fresh remaster and Phanton of Paradise had a colour controversy specific to Fox remaster jobs.

Arrow have several times over the years denied working on Greetings and Hi Mom, but they are pretty flexible and often release films they have “no plans for at the moment” and obviously things like rights and materials are so subject to change.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#627 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 am

July Re-releases :
Lisa and the Devil
The Cat 'O Nine Tails
The Long Good Friday
The Human Condition

rapta

#628 Post by rapta » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Doubt it's the three early works by a major director referenced by Ant Nield, but I just noticed Universal are releasing a Coen Brothers box set in June containing all the previously-released Universal and Paramount titles, but curiously omitting Barton Fink, as well as The Hudsucker Proxy and The Man Who Wasn't There.

I believe three are with Universal in the UK, so perhaps Arrow (or possibly Indicator) are planning a little box set of their own since it seems like Universal themselves aren't including any of them in this set? Especially strange they'd remove Barton Fink since it was part of the previous box set, so it could even be read that they're being restored (again pointing to Arrow).
tenia wrote:July Re-releases :
Lisa and the Devil
The Cat 'O Nine Tails
The Long Good Friday
The Human Condition
Nice to see this is getting reissued. Perhaps that means the LE set is finally going OOP? People should obviously grab it quick if they want the booklet. If not, they could save a bit of shelf space and pick this reissue up by the looks of things! :)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#629 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:58 pm

No thread for the title, but Sleeping Dogs looks great at DVD Beaver.

With so many botched restorations that give so many films identical color timing, it's very gratifying how far Arrow goes to get things like the clearly unique color temperature on display here correct.

Thornycroft

#630 Post by Thornycroft » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 am

Drucker wrote:No thread for the title, but Sleeping Dogs looks great at DVD Beaver.

With so many botched restorations that give so many films identical color timing, it's very gratifying how far Arrow goes to get things like the clearly unique color temperature on display here correct.
Roger Donaldson supervised a new digital restoration a few years ago. I saw it projected at Ngā Taonga (The NZ Film Archive) and it looked gorgeous; the caps at DVD Beaver match my recollection of that screening. There's currently a project underway to create proper digital masters of all New Zealand films, but despite all the progress being made there's almost no way to access them. The Film Commission runs an HD streaming site that many films can be rented or bought from, but it's an imperfect solution, and there's little chance any of them will see Blu-Ray releases in New Zealand.

I hope Arrow releases plenty more New Zealand titles - at the moment it looks like the only opportunity many of them will get for a top-notch physical release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#631 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm

swo17 wrote:
dwk wrote:the US is getting the Deep Red Limited Edition on April 10th
But apparently it won't include the soundtrack CD that came with the UK limited edition?
I can now confirm that the US release is missing the soundtrack CD, though it also upgrades the UK's paper sleeve with a hardbox.

Calvin

#632 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am

July's Academy line up is being announced on Friday. Teaser:

Hong Sang-soo's Woman is the Future of Man, if I'm not mistaken. Considering Nobody's Daughter Haewon is the only one of his films currently available in the UK, I wonder if a box set is in the offing. There was a set containing The Day a Pig Fell Into the Well,The Power Of Kangwon Province, Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate, Woman Is The Future Of Man, and Night and Day released in Korea a few years ago.

What A Disgrace

#633 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:13 am

If Arrow DOESN'T do a Hong Sang-soo box, then they're not doing this right. Exciting either way.

Mr Sloane

#634 Post by Mr Sloane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

rapta wrote:
The Human Condition
Nice to see this is getting reissued. Perhaps that means the LE set is finally going OOP? People should obviously grab it quick if they want the booklet. If not, they could save a bit of shelf space and pick this reissue up by the looks of things! :)
Currently being scalped on Amazon for £399.99 so safe to say it's OOP now.

rapta

#635 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Mr Sloane wrote:
rapta wrote:
The Human Condition
Currently being scalped on Amazon for £399.99 so safe to say it's OOP now.
Yeah, realised that shortly after making the post. Good to see it sold out finally, and nice to see they're reissuing it. Wonder if they'll do the same for any Rivette - I went for the Rohmer set instead in the recent flash sale, and assume it'll sell out within the next few months.

Great news about some Hong, by the way. Reckon I'd blind-buy that, have never seen any of his films and have only heard good things. Nice to see Arrow finally get to some Korean stuff...wonder if they'd ever get Bong's Memories of Murder?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#636 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Ribs wrote:From Fran Simeoni on Twitter:
I think I just agreed on two of the biggest titles of my career and I think I might feel a bit sick. And emotional. And scared. And happy. Mixed feelings then.
One of the two titles has been nixed at the behest of the director

Ribs

#637 Post by Ribs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:36 pm

That sure *sounds* like something James Cameron would do...

Big Ben

#638 Post by Big Ben » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Ribs wrote:That sure *sounds* like something James Cameron would do...
The Abyss perhaps? The only director I can think of is Cameron as well.

dwk

#639 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 am

I seriously doubt if Fox would license out either True Lies or The Abyss.

Costa

#640 Post by Costa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am

Big Ben wrote:
Ribs wrote:That sure *sounds* like something James Cameron would do...
The Abyss perhaps? The only director I can think of is Cameron as well.
I thought of Exorcist and Friedkin.
or something by Michael Mann.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#641 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 am

Costa wrote:I thought of Exorcist and Friedkin.
I doubt Warner would license such a golden cow out. Plus, I don't think an independant release would be able to do much more than what has already be done.

Costa

#642 Post by Costa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am

tenia wrote:
Costa wrote:I thought of Exorcist and Friedkin.
Plus, I don't think an independant release would be able to do much more than what has already be done.
Wasn't there some controversy about the colors?
Maybe they would correct them! :wink:

Apperson

#643 Post by Apperson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 am

To get away from the dropped mystery title, this was pointed out on blu-ray.com, quoted from this page:
Arrow Video brings the very best in cult, horror and genre films, released in deluxe, definitive editions with uncut versions, newly commissioned artwork, specially curated extras and booklets. Starting as an offshoot label in 2009, the collection now spans more than 400 releases including films from Dario Argento, John Carpenter, Lucio Fulci, Wes Craven and George Romero, plus upcoming releases from the likes of Guillermo del Toro and Edgar Wright.

ryanvision

#644 Post by ryanvision » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am

Something like that certainly has to be Mimic, right? I know that Del Toro is passionate about that film conceptually and had problems with its execution. I could see him supporting a directed-approved vision of Mimic for Arrow (or as close to what is possible).

It is slightly peculiar to me that Arrow would have much of anything planned with Del Toro given his track record with Criterion. But then again, I'm not sure what else could realistically come out on Criterion considering I don't see Pacific Rim, Blade 2, or Hellboy appearing at any point.

Ribs

#645 Post by Ribs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am

Even by Blu-ray.com standards I'm utterly baffled that people are taking this as possibly for anything other than Mimic.

ianungstad

#646 Post by ianungstad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:51 am

They teased Crimson Peak in their April 1st clue. It's a lousy film and I don't see Criterion wanting to give it the deluxe treatment.

KJones77

#647 Post by KJones77 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:20 pm

ianungstad wrote:They teased Crimson Peak in their April 1st clue. It's a lousy film and I don't see Criterion wanting to give it the deluxe treatment.
Wow. Definitely disagree that it's "lousy". It's not the best Del Toro but it's still a great gothic romance. Personally, this would be a day one buy if true.

What A Disgrace

#648 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:22 pm

I chumped out and got the steelbook Blu-ray of Crimson Peak a couple of years ago, so unless Arrow's going 4K with the film I'm not interested.

dwk

#649 Post by dwk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Could be a UK only release of Cronos, but I believe StudioCanal controls the UK rights to The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth.

Costa

#650 Post by Costa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Apperson wrote:To get away from the dropped mystery title, this was pointed out on blu-ray.com, quoted from this page:
Arrow Video brings the very best in cult, horror and genre films, released in deluxe, definitive editions with uncut versions, newly commissioned artwork, specially curated extras and booklets. Starting as an offshoot label in 2009, the collection now spans more than 400 releases including films from Dario Argento, John Carpenter, Lucio Fulci, Wes Craven and George Romero, plus upcoming releases from the likes of Guillermo del Toro and Edgar Wright.
It would be great if it was the Pan's Labyrinth version fans deserve!
Unfortunately, it wasn't the Criterion one.
(and let the doctor rate it with 5 stars all the way!)