Arrow Wish List

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Stefan Andersson

Re: Arrow Wish List

#101 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:08 am

The Changeling (1979)

The Entity (1982) - not released on Blu (?)

Vampyres (Larraz, 1974) - does it need more remastering and/or restoration? I seem to remember Marc Morris telling me in an e-mail, many years ago, that the film was then incomplete (must have been after the Anchor Bay release)

Calvin

#102 Post by Calvin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:58 pm

MoC said on twitter that someone other than themselves recently picked up the rights to Franju's Eyes Without a Face. I have no idea if it's Arrow but it seems a pretty good fit. Hopefully if it is then they'll work on including a batch of Franju's short films as extras.

eerik

#103 Post by eerik » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Isn't it with Second Sight anymore?

Calvin

#104 Post by Calvin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:17 pm

eerik wrote:Isn't it with Second Sight anymore?
Nope, their rights expired.

YnEoS

#105 Post by YnEoS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Arrow has put out a ton of my favorite horror movies. I don't know what the rights situations are on these, but if Arrow could put out a good release of any of them I'd be absolutely ecstatic.

The Manitou (William Girdler, 1978)
April Fools Day (Fred Walton, 1986)
The Gate (Tibor Takács, 1987)

JamesF

#106 Post by JamesF » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:02 am

YnEoS wrote:The Manitou (William Girdler, 1978)
April Fools Day (Fred Walton, 1986)
The Gate (Tibor Takács, 1987)
The Manitou is with Studiocanal and April Fools Day with Paramount, so those aren't very likely unfortunately. Christ knows how owns The Gate over here, though the sequel is with MGM.

Stefan Andersson

#107 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:19 am

How about releasing Argento´s Sleepless, with both English and Italian dialogue tracks?

Mondo Digital says the Italian dubbing is preferable to the English dub (only Max von Sydow speaks English with his own voice).

Other suggestions:

Island of Terror, Cushing, uncut

Incident at Raven´s Gate

Desert Hearts

The Satan Bug

The Lacemaker, Tanner

Static, Romanek

My Brilliant Career - or is it already out on blu?

The Lighthorsemen - Australian cut - seems like it has a nice epic feel to it

Stefan Andersson

#108 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:59 am

A Blu release of Death Line (1972) would be nice.

Lowry_Sam

#109 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 pm

How about proper releases of:

Dellamorte, Dellamorte with both Italian and English soundtracks & in proper aspect ratio & all the extras available.
Braindead (Dead / Alive in US) with both full extended version & theatrical "director's" edit.
Night Of The Living Dead complete, without any missing scenes & with proper sound & aspect ratio & all the best extras.
The Lair Of The White Worm
Salome's Last Dance
Gothic
Crimes Of Passion
Flesh For Frankenstein
Blood For Dracula

criterion10

#110 Post by criterion10 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:How about proper releases of:
Salome's Last Dance
Gothic
Crimes Of Passion
As much as I would love for releases of these Ken Russell films, I believe Lionsgate owns the rights to all of them (maybe not Crimes of Passion), and they are notorious for refusing to license out their titles (and release them on their own for that matter).

AlexHansen

#111 Post by AlexHansen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:23 pm

With all the BFI Herzog hullabaloo, I'll throw out Even Dwarves Started Small.

Calvin

#112 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:09 am

criterion10 wrote:
Lowry_Sam wrote:How about proper releases of:
Salome's Last Dance
Gothic
Crimes Of Passion
As much as I would love for releases of these Ken Russell films, I believe Lionsgate owns the rights to all of them (maybe not Crimes of Passion), and they are notorious for refusing to license out their titles (and release them on their own for that matter).
I believe that Gothic is with MGM in the UK so should be available to Arrow. It's a film I've suggested to them a few times in the past.

MichaelB

#113 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:10 am

AlexHansen wrote:With all the BFI Herzog hullabaloo, I'll throw out Even Dwarves Started Small.
No point, as it'll almost certainly be cut. The BBFC removed over two minutes of animal cruelty last time.

L.A.

#114 Post by L.A. » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:13 am

Emilio

#115 Post by Emilio » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm

'Toto le héros' (1991) by Jaco Van Dormael

Tim

#116 Post by Tim » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Thought that was terrific when it first came out. Haven't seen it for a while, but there is (or was) a nice Belgian 2-disc edition with English subs on the feature, though not on the bonus materials.

Emilio

#117 Post by Emilio » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:48 am

Tim wrote:Thought that was terrific when it first came out. Haven't seen it for a while, but there is (or was) a nice Belgian 2-disc edition with English subs on the feature, though not on the bonus materials.
That *is* a nice edition. However, a Blu-Ray from Arrow would be bliss.

Finch

#118 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 am

God Told Me To by Larry Cohen would be a great addition.

Calvin

#119 Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:15 am

Having never had a UK release, I'd love to see Elia Kazan's The Visitors as part of the Arrow Academy line up. The upcoming Shout Factory DVD will probably not do the film justice.

EddieLarkin

#120 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 am

I'd like to see a box set of all 14 Showa era Godzilla sequels, from any label really. Most have never been released in the UK on home video, and the rights situation is a lot more straightforward than it is in the U.S. Sony no longer have the rights to any of them now, so presumably all expect King Kong can be sourced from Toho (and in King Kong's case, Universal can supply the rights, Toho the materials). A Zatoichi style set would be great, and put to shame the slipshod way they're coming out in the U.S.

Finch

#121 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:20 pm

I don't know who has the UK rights to it (other than remembering that a small DVD label which may now be out of business released a non-anarmorphic DVD in collaboration with Mark Kermode) but do you, Tony and Michael, think there is any realistic chance of Arrow picking up The Nineth Configuration and giving it the proper release it deserves? It'd be right at home in your catalogue.

Calvin

#122 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm

It would be good to see someone put out a release of Jodorowsky's Tusk. While many sources claim that Jodorowsky has disowned the film, this relatively recent interview appears to show that his feelings towards it aren't nearly that strong and that he's quite like it to get a release. It may even be possible to tempt him to do a director's cut if the footage survives in Gaumont's vaults.

Stefan Andersson

#123 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Would Arrow like to do a Christopher Lee box or Collection?

Some ideas:

The Creeping Flesh
The City of the Dead - seems to me the existing DVDs (VCI and probably others) leave room for restoration
The Disputation - excellent TV drama
Alias John Preston
The Mirror and Markheim

Calvin

Arrow Wish List

#124 Post by Calvin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:41 pm

While Arrow would probably (and understandably) be more interested in Lee's horror work, his little seen performance in Jinnah is one of his best. I seem to recall Lee citing it as his favourite of his own films.

effigy105

#125 Post by effigy105 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Seeing Steve Wang talking shop on Arrow's Hell Comes to Frogtown release makes me pine for a Blu-Ray upgrade for his martial arts action comedy, Drive- with Mark Dacascos, Kadeem Hardison, and the late Brittany Murphy. Granted, I'm probably the only one, but I reckon it's one of the most entertaining and satisfying American action films, well, ever, and I'd totally splurge on an upgrade. No idea who owns the rights of course. And the super-budget DVD already boasts a host of supplements so I can hardly complain. I'd take it over Nicholas Winding Refn's film any day. I still think it was poor form to double up on the title, even if hardly anyone has heard of Wang's film.