ITV: The Red Shoes Blu-ray

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tojoed

ITV: The Red Shoes Blu-ray

#1 Post by tojoed » Sat May 23, 2009 1:56 am

The Red Shoes up for pre-order at Amazon. The BluRay does not have a pre-order date yet, just a " sign up to be notified when available".

MichaelB

Re: Powell and Pressburger Region 2 DVDs

#2 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 23, 2009 4:49 am

I've put in a request for a review copy of the Blu-ray, and will report back when/if it arrives.

Tommaso

#3 Post by Tommaso » Sat May 23, 2009 6:10 am

I don't want to nitpick, but I'm a bit disappointed that this will be a one-disc edition, which probably means that it will have only few, if any extras. With a film and restoration of that importance I hoped they would pull all registers. So, hurry up, Criterion!

Davidspector

#4 Post by Davidspector » Sat May 23, 2009 10:57 am

Isn't The Red Shoes going to be Region B? I'll be glad to be contradicted on this.

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sat May 23, 2009 11:01 am

Davidspector wrote:Isn't The Red Shoes going to be Region B? I'll be glad to be contradicted on this.
As ever, this depends entirely on the rightsholder's wishes - though in this case I can easily see why they might favour region-coding on a title that's been restored at vast expense, especially if the US distributor is likely to release it several months after the UK one. So it wouldn't surprise me at all - especially as Brief Encounter had undergone similarly extensive and very recent restoration.

So I'd assume Region B unless proven otherwise.

Matt

#6 Post by Matt » Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 am

tojoed wrote:The Red Shoes up for pre-order at Amazon. The BluRay does not have a pre-order date yet, just a " sign up to be notified when available".
It looks like the Blu-ray will be a HMV exclusive, at least initially.

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Mon May 25, 2009 5:41 pm

david hare wrote:It's up at a few sites now - This one is the cheapest so far.
That just shows Reds as the only search result for "the red shoes blu ray". A nice-looking film, to be sure, but Diane Keaton is no Moira Shearer.

tojoed

Re: ITV: The Red Shoes Blu-ray

#8 Post by tojoed » Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 am

As Matt indicated, The Red Shoes is indeed an HMV exclusive. Pre-order at £17.99 delivered in the UK. Overseas shipping is available but the price is not stated.

EDIT: Moviemail offers £14.99 delivered.

Cosmic Bus

#9 Post by Cosmic Bus » Thu May 28, 2009 12:12 pm

The listing on Moviemail appears to be gone now and doesn't show via a search either.

I'm prepared to be crushed by this being locked to B, but continue to hope until someone actually has a copy in hand to confirm...

Forrest Taft

#10 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri May 29, 2009 5:54 am

foggy eyes

#11 Post by foggy eyes » Fri May 29, 2009 8:30 am

Apparently this isn't getting a theatrical release in the UK until December 11th, six months after the Blu-ray. I would have thought that an HD theatrical run would be first priority, but never mind - it'll be worth waiting for.

jeff mccloud

#12 Post by jeff mccloud » Fri May 29, 2009 8:40 am

This is currently listed at HMV with a pre-order price of £13.99 (with free shipping in the UK).

Nothing

#13 Post by Nothing » Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 am

foggy eyes wrote:I would have thought that an HD theatrical run would be first priority, but never mind - it'll be worth waiting for.
An HD theatrical run?! Pardon me, but what the fuck is the point of that? This was restored at 4k res, correct, and surely they can afford to make at least one proper print (!)

foggy eyes

#14 Post by foggy eyes » Fri May 29, 2009 11:10 am

Nothing wrote:An HD theatrical run?! Pardon me, but what the fuck is the point of that? This was restored at 4k res, correct, and surely they can afford to make at least one proper print
I agree of course, but I'm being realistic. The distribution will be handled by BFI/Park Circus, and they send stuff around predominantly in digital form now - even the NFT seems to have started projecting restorations/new "prints" on HD as a rule. For example, the BFI are touring Pierrot le fou at the moment, and judging by the venues where it has been booked, less than a half dozen (if any at all) will screen it on film. So, if a new 35mm print is available, finding a place to see it across the UK can be extremely difficult! (On a more personal note, if it screens at my local picturehouse or nearby, it will be HD - no question.)

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 am

I can't speak for non-BFI titles, obviously, but I checked with the relevant technical supervisor, and he said that digital BFI prints are actually in uncompressed 2K, not HD.

To give two examples, Winstanley was distributed in uncompressed 2K and 35mm, and the same will be true of the restoration of Joseph Losey's Accident. It's BFI policy to avoid HD downconversions if at all possible (while retaining that option if the venue can't handle anything better, though most can).

From the horse's mouth:
We see no reason to show digital restorations that have been completed at 2K standard in downconverted and/or compressed versions. Although HD remains the current standard for many distributors when it comes to digital projection, we will do 2K whenever possible, and always if the title is one of our new digital restorations.
But The Red Shoes isn't a BFI title, so the above may not apply (but I'd hope it does). I can confirm that Canal's new restoration of Pierrot le fou is on uncompressed 2K and 35mm, so it's not exclusively a BFI policy.

foggy eyes

#16 Post by foggy eyes » Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 pm

MichaelB wrote:I can't speak for non-BFI titles, obviously, but I checked with the relevant technical supervisor, and he said that digital BFI prints are actually in uncompressed 2K, not HD.
Sorry, Michael & Nothing, when I said HD I meant whatever compressed/uncompressed digital form from which the film is projected - I'm not too hot on the particulars/terminology of all this yet, so tend to lump it under the banner of "HD" in my head...

Nothing

#17 Post by Nothing » Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 pm

No wonder theatrical is dying a death.

tojoed

#18 Post by tojoed » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Here's the cover (of the SD version)

Murdoch

#19 Post by Murdoch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Remove the black border and that would be a gorgeous cover.

Richard

#20 Post by Richard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:17 am

HMV now has a very tiny picture of the BD cover:

This is definitely this summer's most exciting release for me. I preordered almost without realising it.

Person

#21 Post by Person » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Ugh, drop those blue cases already, folks! Back to black.

Richard

#22 Post by Richard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Person wrote:Image

Ugh, drop those blue cases already, folks! Back to black.
Another reason why I am stil mourning the death of HD DVD: a ruby red case would have looked so good with this release. :cry:

Giulio

#23 Post by Giulio » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

news about this blu ray edition? it disappeared from amazon.co.uk

kinjitsu

#24 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 pm

peerpee
not perpee

#25 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Mine too, David. Probably gonna beat ya! :)

EDIT: btw. this was my 1080th post. Now I'm going for a pee.