Three Monkeys (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2008)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Oedipax

Three Monkeys (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2008)

#1 Post by Oedipax » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:26 am

Looks like there's a 2-disc DVD now (with English subtitles): link

Anyone know of a reliable e-tailer selling this that'll ship to the U.S.?

John Cope

Re: Three Monkeys (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2008)

#2 Post by John Cope » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Well, this guy has a 100% approval rating so that's something. And though I'm not sure, if this is the same Turkish company that produced the DVDs for Ceylan's other films than all the extras ought to have subs as well. Here's hoping as I just ordered myself a copy.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:33 pm

Everything is English-subbed (even the menus are dual Turkish/English).

lord patchogue

#4 Post by lord patchogue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 am

Tulumba has just got this into their stock. They even have free shipping options for US based customers.

Lemmy Caution

#5 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:00 am

I watched this last week and was impressed.
Three Monkeys concerns a tragedy that envelops a small nuclear family -- a husband, wife and teenage son. While a powerful man, a local politician, brings corruption into their lives, it's their weaknesses and dreams of a better life which allow the rot to set in.

Great casting and fine performances all around. I was especially impressed with Hatice Aslan as the wife. I felt that I could read on her face the great emotional arc which her character endures. Ercan Kesal also is convincing as the steely, manipulative politician. Kesal also receives co-writing credit along with the husband and wife team of Nuri Bilge & Ebru Ceylan.

I liked the look of the film. An intensity combined with a lot of darkness at times, starting with the opening scene. The film has a tendency to skip forward slightly in time without orienting the audience. Also, an odd, disorienting way of having sound cues from the next scene intrude into the end of the scene we are watching. I was less interested in the way that nature was used to comment and underscore character behavior. Overall, a taut psychological drama of a family's breakdown.

This is the first Ceylan that I've watched. I know that I have Iklimer (aka Climates) and Uzak somewhere in my kevyip, and now will have to excavate them.
I'd be interested in any comments on his first two features: Kasaba aka The Small Town (1997) & Mayis Sikintisi aka Clouds of May (1999).
Are these available on Dvd w/ English subs?
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Cope

#6 Post by John Cope » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:I'd be interested in any comments on his first two features: Kasaba aka The Small Town (1997) & Mayis Sikintisi aka Clouds of May (1999). Are these available on Dvd w/ English subs?
I personally prefer them to everything else, although that's not meant to impugn the quality of the rest; they just resonate deeper with me and I prefer the aesthetic model he's using for these. Since then, Ceylan's vision has turned darker, more acidic. He has made that work for him to varying degrees, though on a first pass I have to say that Three Monkeys seemed his weakest effort. Ultimately, I think, it pushes the miserabilism a shade too far. Oh, and in answer to your other question, here you go.

Lemmy Caution

#7 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 am

John Cope wrote: Ceylan's vision has turned darker, more acidic. He has made that work for him to varying degrees, though on a first pass I have to say that Three Monkeys seemed his weakest effort. Ultimately, I think, it pushes the miserabilism a shade too far.
Without prior exposure to Ceylan, maybe Three Monkeys was a good place for me to begin. It felt like a mature, confident filmmaker at work.

Thanks for the Dvd info.
I'll certainly keep a natural eye out for that AE set.
And it seems that his first short film is included with the Uzak release, though I'm not sure if that extra was reproduced here in China.

Don Lope de Aguirre

#8 Post by Don Lope de Aguirre » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 pm

I think it's also worth pointing out that this seems also to be available on Blu-Ray as well...

tojoed

#9 Post by tojoed » Sun May 31, 2009 6:34 am

There's a UK release in July.

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#10 Post by "membrillo" » Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:I think it's also worth pointing out that this seems also to be available on Blu-Ray as well...
I've seen it available on fleabay. Any idea of the region coding?

joshua

#11 Post by joshua » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:33 pm

I just received the Three Monkeys blu-ray from Turkey and can confirm that it is region-free. I just went through the chapter stops to see what it looked like and I have to say that the film looks a heck of a lot better on this disc than it did at the screening I caught a month ago here in Denver.

kemalettin

#12 Post by kemalettin » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:57 pm

any info about the company who did the transfer?

perkizitore

#13 Post by perkizitore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 am

Which is the cheapest place to buy it (shipping to the UK needed)?

kemalettin

#14 Post by kemalettin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 am

Its 33 TL(Turkish Currency) almost 15 €.They dont ship outside the Turkey :(
https://www.ideefixe.com/video/uc-maymu ... 0Y31GN4MLP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#15 Post by perkizitore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:34 am

Does it have english subtitles? If it does, can you find someone that posts outside Turkey?

kemalettin

#17 Post by kemalettin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:49 pm

perkizitore wrote:Does it have english subtitles? If it does, can you find someone that posts outside Turkey?
no chance :( people in turkey dont know even whats bluray.Only way to get this you have to find someone from Turkey..

lord patchogue

#18 Post by lord patchogue » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:48 pm

perkizitore wrote:Which is the cheapest place to buy it (shipping to the UK needed)?
Try ebay. You can also check out the contents of this release from his website.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#19 Post by Tribe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:11 pm

I ordered this sight unseen (the Zeigeist release), I'd appreciate any comments and/or background regarding Ceylan's work. Yes, I know I can Google him....but I always enjoy getting a sense of what the folks here think.

kemalettin

#20 Post by kemalettin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:51 am

Great Review by Kannisto
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray ... -imaj.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;