DVDBeaver

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Petty Bourgeoisie
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:17 am

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#501 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:10 am

Orlac wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:01 pm
And once again Beaver manages to zero in on a shower scene...
I don't get it. Are statements like these an in-joke around here, or are people genuinely upset by the content of some screen captures? The gym/shower set was quite amazing. I'd grab a capture of it too!

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#502 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:51 am

If a potentially lewd scene can be captured Tooze has almost always done so in the screen grabs. It's a running in joke.

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#503 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:12 am

I'd do the same, to be fair. Because why not?

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#504 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:14 am

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:51 am
If a potentially lewd scene can be captured Tooze has almost always done so in the screen grabs. It's a running in joke.
Exactly. Be it an upskirt shot, a bra-less picture or a nude scene, even if it lasts 2 frames within a 3h30 movie, he'll get them. Which I always found surprising, since I was told the majority of Gary's screen captures are around chapter skips, and I'd be surprised to learn most of the lewd or suggestive frames turned out to randomly be around chapter skips too !

I don't think people here are upset about the screencaps themselves, but over the years, such an insistance at exhaustively capturing any suggestive picture has become more and more debated. I myself don't care so much (and actually used to do so too), but I understand how people might wonder why Gary seems so systematically compelled to capture those (even if it is called DVD Beaver after all). I guess it might simply generate more trafic to his website ?

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#505 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:40 pm


Orlac
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:29 am

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#506 Post by Orlac » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Of course, there is that time he posted the underage picture of Nastassia Kinski...

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#507 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:49 pm

What exactly has this got to do with Ikarie XB-1?

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#508 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:02 pm

They're continuing the discussion of DVDBeaver's capturing practices as evidenced by the screencap of this film's release, a conversation you yourself were just participating in

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: DVDBeaver

#509 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:05 am

Fitznoirre wrote:If you check out who DVDBeaver follows on Twitter - https://twitter.com/DVDBeaver/following - you'll a lot of Trump and Fox accounts - Trump, Ann Coulter, Sarah Sanders, Tucker Carlson etc as well as a bunch of other MAGA stuff and anti-liberal accounts. He also follows Kanye (or Ye).
Also, notable he doesn't follow a single politically-minded person who could be deemed a centrist. Not even someone as vanilla as Jake Tapper. Though he does follow an account called "ProWhitesUnite" I appreciate his reviews and actually subscribe to his patreon but big yikes.

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: DVDBeaver

#510 Post by furbicide » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am

A good 40% (or thereabouts; I’m not sure of the precise current figure) of the American voting population support Trump (with all the nasty stuff that entails). I’m not saying that’s a particularly pleasant or edifying fact, but it does mean that there’s a solid chance the next person who scans your groceries, picks you up in a taxi or checks your ID at a bar is one of them. Why should the guy who reviews DVDs for a living be any different? And either way, why would it be important that he share our beliefs*?

Interestingly, I don’t source my political opinions from DVDBeaver, and I doubt that anybody else does either. So investigating Tooze’s Twitter followers for decisive evidence that he’s an evil right-winger just seems like an excuse for malicious gossip to me.

*Note: if he was actually using his site as a platform for right-wing rants, like that Bluray.com guy, then that would be a different matter – not because it’d make him an immoral subhuman, but just because he’d be a bore whose reviews would be a drag to read. But aspect ratios and transfer quality don’t have political affiliations, and Tooze has enough good sense – if the insinuations above are true – to keep his politics out of his professional work. All you can ask, really.
Last edited by furbicide on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dustybooks
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: DVDBeaver

#511 Post by dustybooks » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:29 am

I'd say that following something called "ProWhitesUnite" goes a little beyond a traditional left-right divide.

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: DVDBeaver

#512 Post by furbicide » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:33 am

So does Trump, though. And he still retains mainstream Republican voter support, even while employing open fascists like Bannon and publicly supporting white supremacist groups.

I’m not trying to minimise the danger of fascism here or apologise for its proponents – it’s obviously catastrophic that it’s seeing such a resurgence in the US at the moment, and I’m not saying that it’s ok that (what we might think of as) regular people are flirting with it (or with white-supremacist identity politics, or men’s rights activism, or anti-immigration sentiments, etc.). But if the goal is to shame any and all people we can find in that MAGA/alt-right morass and/or chase them out of the public square, then I don’t think that’s going to be a very effective remedy for any of this. (I’m not saying that’s necessarily what people are trying to do to Tooze here, but I do wonder what constructive purpose this gossip about his political leanings serves.)

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: DVDBeaver

#513 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:51 am

furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am
A good 40% (or thereabouts; I’m not sure of the precise current figure) of the American voting population support Trump (with all the nasty stuff that entails). I’m not saying that’s a particularly pleasant or edifying fact, but it does mean that there’s a solid chance the next person who scans your groceries, picks you up in a taxi or checks your ID at a bar is one of them.
Tell me about it. One of my own relatives, who never votes, is not shy about saying she likes Trump, much to the horror of her closest friends. The fact that she's been openly and virulently racist (mostly among family but she once told a neighbor in my presence she'd kill her own child if he married an African-American) as long as I've known her makes it less of a surprise. I know plenty of Trump voters too but to be blunt they tend to have flat out disgusting beliefs.

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: DVDBeaver

#514 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 am

furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am
A good 40% (or thereabouts; I’m not sure of the precise current figure) of the American voting population support Trump (with all the nasty stuff that entails).
Yes and no.
He has a rather constant 41-42% approval rating, which is one of the lowest amongst POTUS (and the lowest since 1938). This however doesn't mean his supporting base is 41-42% of the voting population, but is said to more likely hover around 25%.
furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am
*Note: if he was actually using his site as a platform for right-wing rants, like that Bluray.com guy, then that would be a different matter – not because it’d make him an immoral subhuman, but just because he’d be a bore whose reviews would be a drag to read. But aspect ratios and transfer quality don’t have political affiliations, and Tooze has enough good sense – if the insinuations above are true – to keep his politics out of his professional work. All you can ask, really.
Considering how short most of his reviews are, it most likely would be hard to find thorough movie analysis containing a political stance.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: DVDBeaver

#515 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:29 am

dustybooks wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:29 am
I'd say that following something called "ProWhitesUnite" goes a little beyond a traditional left-right divide.
Yeah, I have zero patience for engaging with the fake moral quandary of whether it’s okay to defend someone who supports literal white supremacy. As HJackson pointed out when I brought this up previously, I have no problem with Gary being right wing (and a few prominent members are too, which you may not have noticed either, but something to keep in mind when demonizing political beliefs wholecloth on this forum...), but this is something else

User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: DVDBeaver

#516 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:44 pm

furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am
So investigating Tooze’s Twitter followers for decisive evidence that he’s an evil right-winger just seems like an excuse for malicious gossip to me.
This would apply if he were just a mainstream conservative (though what that means in America is certainly in a state of flux these days), but I think it is totally appropriate for people to feel uncomfortable with providing financial support (whether through Patreon or just regularly visiting the site) for someone openly engaging with — even if not currently vocally supporting — white supremacist ideologies. I wouldn't shop at a grocery store that sold neo-Nazi merchandise or ride in a cab with a Stormfront bumper sticker either.

I know plenty of people who support Trump and the modern Republican party without endorsing the darker elements of the discourse he's empowered, and while I fundamentally disagree with them and think they're conveniently ignoring the causal relationship between his takeover of the Republican party and the rise of white nationalism, I can still have professional or transactional relationships with these people in a way that I wouldn't be willing to with someone who openly crosses that line.
furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:33 am
But if the goal is to shame any and all people we can find in that MAGA/alt-right morass and/or chase them out of the public square, then I don’t think that’s going to be a very effective remedy for any of this. (I’m not saying that’s necessarily what people are trying to do to Tooze here, but I do wonder what constructive purpose this gossip about his political leanings serves.)
I'm personally not looking to remedy the root causes of white nationalism by finding somewhere else to look at screencaps and bad grammar, just using this new-to-me information to exercise my freedom of association to avoid supporting people who openly associate themselves with white supremacists.

User avatar
HJackson
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 82 / BD 20 Ikarie XB 1

#517 Post by HJackson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:29 pm

I'll stop calling you Dom!

User avatar
furbicide
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 am

Re: DVDBeaver

#518 Post by furbicide » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm

“DarkImbecile” wrote:This would apply if he were just a mainstream conservative (though what that means in America is certainly in a state of flux these days), but I think it is totally appropriate for people to feel uncomfortable with providing financial support (whether through Patreon or just regularly visiting the site) for someone openly engaging with — even if not currently vocally supporting — white supremacist ideologies. I wouldn't shop at a grocery store that sold neo-Nazi merchandise or ride in a cab with a Stormfront bumper sticker either.
Fair enough, and perhaps the comparative example here would be if DVDBeaver had white-supremacist logos or links on its website. But snooping on someone’s Twitter follows seems more in the realm of looking at brain scans for far-right activity (in a hypothetical world where such technology were available).

The explosion of information brought about by the internet and social media gives us insights to people’s thoughts in a way that just wasn’t possible even ten years ago. I get that some see that as a positive development in that it allows us to make informed decisions; but it also gives us more of a warts-and-all view of humanity. I just wonder if we’re coping with that information healthily.

(And no matter how much we might like playing detective and drawing conclusions, we can’t know on the basis of one Twitter follow that Tooze is actually a white supremacist sympathiser as opposed to a standard-issue Trump-era right-winger. I respect that others feel it’s something worth investigating nonetheless and that it’ll affect their decision to visit/support the site, but I still question whether that’s actually a politically meaningful decision.)

User avatar
fiddlesticks
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Borderlands

Re: DVDBeaver

#519 Post by fiddlesticks » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Regarding Gary's interest in Trump and Fox News, and leaving aside the white supremacist angle, I thought he was Canadian. Does he also follow, say, Doug Ford?

User avatar
Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: DVDBeaver

#520 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:50 pm

furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm
Fair enough, and perhaps the comparative example here would be if DVDBeaver had white-supremacist logos or links on its website. But snooping on someone’s Twitter follows seems more in the realm of looking at brain scans for far-right activity (in a hypothetical world where such technology were available).

The explosion of information brought about by the internet and social media gives us insights to people’s thoughts in a way that just wasn’t possible even ten years ago. I get that some see that as a positive development in that it allows us to make informed decisions; but it also gives us more of a warts-and-all view of humanity. I just wonder if we’re coping with that information healthily.

(And no matter how much we might like playing detective and drawing conclusions, we can’t know on the basis of one Twitter follow that Tooze is actually a white supremacist sympathiser as opposed to a standard-issue Trump-era right-winger. I respect that others feel it’s something worth investigating nonetheless and that it’ll affect their decision to visit/support the site, but I still question whether that’s actually a politically meaningful decision.)
Fully agree with this.

User avatar
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: DVDBeaver

#521 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Once upon a time his Facebook feed reflected some very far right leanings -- but so far as I can tell he now avoids such stuff on Facebook (and I avoid Twitter). ;-)

User avatar
Magic Hate Ball
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:15 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: DVDBeaver

#522 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 pm

furbicide wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm
Fair enough, and perhaps the comparative example here would be if DVDBeaver had white-supremacist logos or links on its website. But snooping on someone’s Twitter follows seems more in the realm of looking at brain scans for far-right activity (in a hypothetical world where such technology were available).
I feel like this is more like overhearing someone saying awful at a party. There have definitely been times I've peeped a follow list because I want more similar accounts and stumbled across something embarrassing. Twitter follows are definitely pertinent information in this regard - it's kind of like finding out who someone's friends are.

User avatar
Cremildo
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: DVDBeaver

#523 Post by Cremildo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Unless Tooze himself has posted hateful things on his Twitter feed, I fail to see how it's fair to cast suspicion on his character based solely on the fact that he follows accounts of a different political stance from yours.

I've never unfollowed movie-related Twitter accounts just because they, in turn, followed left-wing accounts (and lots of them do); I've stopped following them when they posted something I found indefensible.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: DVDBeaver

#524 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:50 pm

He follows a literal white supremacy Twitter account. There is no nuance here. I am flabbergasted at the responses of some of you— I’m the one that always gets flack for being skeptical or laissez-faire, but there’s no ambiguity here. He follows an account that advocates for the superiority of the white race and that posts/retweets nothing but tweets to that effect. Did none of you bother to visit the account before defending his choice here? Guess you’re okay with supporting someone who supports
Life was nice before diversity arrived

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: DVDBeaver

#525 Post by MichaelB » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:51 pm

I follow lots of people whose views I disagree with, sometimes profoundly - indeed, two people I follow have just expressed directly contradictory opinions, and I obviously can't agree with both.

Has there been any evidence of Gary actually expressing approval of this account - for instance, by approvingly or neutrally retweeting inflammatory content?
Last edited by MichaelB on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply