Chimes at Midnight (Orson Welles, 1965)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
DrewReiber

#1 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:13 am

No matter how many times I notice since seeing the film, Chimes at Midnight keeps coming up as one of the most influential movies of all time. The Adventures of Baron Muenchosen, Braveheart, The Lord of the Rings, Alexander, and even films I haven't seen yet like Henry V. It drives me nuts that this movie is not on DVD in the U.S. and that most Americans (and I'm willing to bet, most people) have no idea what this film is and what it means for cinema history.

I currently have a friend who took a VHS copy of the widescreen Japanese laserdisc and is transfering it to DVD for me, but I would love to pay for the real thing and add it to my collection. I'm surprised The Criterion Collection or Kino hasn't jumped all over this yet. I can't even find much reading material on it unless I look to imported British film literature. Is there anyone else out there that has seen this movie? Anyone else that shares my pain? :(

Martha

#2 Post by Martha » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:23 am

No reading material apart from this whole book, you mean?

I saw a 16mm print in college but don't remember it clearly enough to comment in an informed way...

Miguel

#3 Post by Miguel » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:27 am

I can't vouch for the quality, but here's a Spanish dvd.

DrewReiber

#4 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:38 am

Martha wrote:No reading material apart from this whole book, you mean?
Thanks for the link. I've bought most of the Orson Welles books that I've found in stores, but again, big difference between what exists and what I actually find. The film books and classes at our university completely skip the film too. Never thought to look by title... curious. Any others?
Martha wrote:I saw a 16mm print in college but don't remember it clearly enough to comment in an informed way...
Lucky you. Like I said, we're burning those DVDs the VHS tape we rented from an independent video store that is under new ownership. It's got Japanese characters all over the screen constantly, but hey, it's in widescreen. Otherwise, once that tape is gone... it's gone. No idea where it came from either, other than conjecture.
I can't vouch for the quality, but here's a Spanish dvd.
I've checked around, and those imports are considerably cut from the original version and I've also heard it may also be impaired by PAL speedup through the transfer. Unless something else comes around, this bootleg looks like the only choice.

Andre Jurieu

#5 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:08 am

On the last forum someone mentioned that the film is being restored at present and the sound is being improved considerably in order for the dialogue to sync up correctly. Apparently, though I haven't watched it for myself, there are various problems with the final product of the film since Welles had to complete it over a number of years and constantly track down funding. I think the post in the previous forum provided a link to an article regarding the restoration and the possibility of a new release on DVD.

The Rutgers Films in Print series of books isn't the greatest either. Most of the books are just scripts with only a few essays included towards the very end. Just a heads up in case you expect the entire book to be analysis.

Narshty

#6 Post by Narshty » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:18 am

Andre Jurieu wrote:On the last forum someone mentioned that the film is being restored at present and the sound is being improved considerably in order for the dialogue to sync up correctly.
Uh-oh. We know what happened the last time something like that was attempted.

unclehulot

#7 Post by unclehulot » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:50 pm

Narshty wrote:
Andre Jurieu wrote:On the last forum someone mentioned that the film is being restored at present and the sound is being improved considerably in order for the dialogue to sync up correctly.
If you don't succeed at first, suck again until you do succeed? That seems to be what you're saying (about the restored Othello.....or Touch of Evil??) Which reminds me, I think it's time to pull out my Criterion LD of Othello before too long, now THAT'S how that film should have appeared on dvd!

There's certainly room for improvement over that Spanish Chimes at Midnight DVD, which has a pretty rough soundtrack. Let's hope it's done right, and reaches us before it's check out time.

Mr Sausage

#8 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:34 pm

I remember watching an old VHS copy of this movie that I borrowed from one of the libraries here, and it was mostly a let down.

Falstaff is a delightful character, and Welles seemed to capture him nicely--plus the film had some real power, especially at the end.

On the other hand, the sound track was so murky, coupled with the Shakespearian dialogue and the accents, that 65% of the time I couldn't follow a single word being said. When people are using words and phrasing you’re not as familiar with, muffling the sounds makes figuring out what they're saying nearly impossible, where a more familiar use of English would have made the task bit easier. At least it gives you some templates or frames of reference.

Made the whole thing a desperate chore to watch, and I ended with no real enjoyment from the movie. I can’t help but wish for a DVD as well.

DrewReiber

#9 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:53 pm

On the last forum someone mentioned that the film is being restored at present and the sound is being improved considerably in order for the dialogue to sync up correctly.
Do you have any idea where we could track down the rest of that information or more details?
Apparently, though I haven't watched it for myself, there are various problems with the final product of the film since Welles had to complete it over a number of years and constantly track down funding.
It's not as bad as people keep saying. The copy I saw was kind of what you would expect from a Spaghetti Western that was originally shot in English but then post-dubbed. Maybe I've grown an immunity to ADR over the last few years, but I can definitely imagine worse.
The Rutgers Films in Print series of books isn't the greatest either. Most of the books are just scripts with only a few essays included towards the very end. Just a heads up in case you expect the entire book to be analysis.
Thanks, I appreciate the warning because I almost bought it thinking that. Do you know anything about the book "Orson Welles, Shakespeare, and Popular Culture"?
If you're referring to Othello, the only thing we should worry about is whether or not Beatrice Welles is involved on Chimes. Additionally, someone needs to get around to asking Criterion if they still hold the rights to their print of Othello. We may yet see the original version re-released if Beatrice's only copyright claim is to the cut she issued.
When people are using words and phrasing you’re not as familiar with, muffling the sounds makes figuring out what they're saying nearly impossible, where a more familiar use of English would have made the task bit easier. At least it gives you some templates or frames of reference.
Wow, well I can definitely say the copy I saw was infinitely superior to that. The copy you had on hand must have come from a shoddy distribution label with poor material and/or transfer equipment. I understood everything (short of some "old English") and found it very enjoyable.

Mr Sausage

#10 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:04 pm

Wow, well I can definitely say the copy I saw was infinitely superior to that. The copy you had on hand must have come from a shoddy distribution label with poor material and/or transfer equipment. I understood everything (short of some "old English") and found it very enjoyable.
It looked pretty bargain basement; it's cover was just a large screen shot of Orson from the movie with black at the bottom with the title, ect.

It wasn't as muffled as perhaps I've made it come across, but it was enough that I had to rewind most of the dialogue at least once, an effort I gave up on after ten minutes. Think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with a muffled and loudly hissing track, and that's a pretty fair comparison to my experience.

Andre Jurieu

#11 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:05 pm

DrewReiber wrote: Do you have any idea where we could track down the rest of that information or more details?
Not really. Maybe try to Google it. I was kind of hoping the person who posted it before would re-port the info. You could try and find it in the text version of the old forum.
DrewReiber wrote:Do you know anything about the book "Orson Welles, Shakespeare, and Popular Culture"?
Sorry, can't help you out on that one either, since I haven't read the book.

DrewReiber

#12 Post by DrewReiber » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:40 am

Bad news, it IS the people responsible for the Othello restoration.

Managed to score a copy of The Immortal Story, but it's gonna be a while before it ships to me. Anyone seen this film yet?

jesus the mexican boi

#13 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:23 pm

DrewReiber wrote:Managed to score a copy of The Immortal Story, but it's gonna be a while before it ships to me. Anyone seen this film yet?
IMMORTAL STORY is a nice unassuming Welles story with reflexive echoes of LADY FROM SHANGHAI in the shots. It's based on an Isak Dinesen short story. Like a lot of Welles' independent work, it's saddled with some less-than-perfect audio sync-up, but its story manages to be both literary and cinematic in a drawing room kind of way. I like films that play with the lines between fantasy/reality, fact/fiction, and their conversion through context. IMMORTAL STORY is one of those films. I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually saw the light of DVD day, perhaps with some other footage of Welles' aborted Dinesen project, THE DREAMERS, as extras.

rlendog

#14 Post by rlendog » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:57 pm

What is the problem with Othello? The version I saw - with the syncing fixed up - looked and sounded a heck of a lot better than my copy of Chimes of Midnight.

hearthesilence

#15 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:43 pm

Don't forget, they've been doing restoration work for a long time. Funding comes and goes, so it's been a start-stop process, but a great deal has been done - the work so far has been screened at various places, including Chicago a few years back. Shameful it's this difficult, but at least it's not rotting away in neglect, someone IS looking out for it. Hopefully the restoration will be finished soon (if not already) and a new DVD will be made from the finished work.

Gordon

#16 Post by Gordon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:24 am

Legendary film restorer, Robert Harris has stated in the past, that there is at least one excellent 35mm film element of Chimes and that no phot-chemical work is needed for the film proper. As has been noted, it is with the sound elements that we have problems. It has only been in recent yeras that digital softwares (think of the work accomplished on Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) could bring the sound to life. But that would mean working from the original magnetic tracks. Who owns them, where are they kept? Oja Kodar?

Incidentally, here's the DVD Beaver review of the Spanish disc

As you can see, the film has incredible imagery, but the transfer smacks of poor VHS. And the sound merely detracts from the experience of the film.

I have vaguely overheard that a new print of Chimes (as well as many other Welles' films) will be screened as part of of a Welles retrospective at one of the big German film festivals (I cannot recall which one) later this year.

It's an awesome, beautiful, haunting film, a testament to Welles' unmatched cinematic ingenuity. It badly needs a definitive presentation, whether it be on DVD or 35mm.

atcolomb

#17 Post by atcolomb » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:28 pm

I have in my collection a vhs copy, a dvd that has the japanese version with the japanese subtitles on the right side of the image and the spanish region 2 dvd version. The vhs is poor, the japanese dvd is a little bit better but the subtitles gets in the way of the image but the spanish dvd version is the best i have seen so far....not perfect but watchable. I hope Criterion gets to release it !!

Nihonophile

#18 Post by Nihonophile » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:43 pm

Jesus Franco was second unit director on this film. Does anyone know how he and Welles met?

ellipsis7

#19 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:22 pm

How Orson got out of jail

Geoffrey Macnab

The Guardian

Bursting out of hiding ... Orson Welles in Chimes at Midnight

"He had a great pleasure in playing tricks. He was a presti . . . prestigi . . . pretigidigi . . ." Teresa Cavina, deputy director of the Locarno festival, struggles for the right word to describe Orson Welles, whose career is celebrated in a huge retrospective at Locarno, Switzerland, over the next fortnight. When Welles died 20 years ago, he left his estate in a fearsome tangle. Family members, producers and distributors have all been bickering over the rights to his films, many of them incomplete, ever since. Locarno's achievement is to have persuaded the various warring parties to call a temporary truce - at least for the duration of the festival.

Audiences here in this rain-sodden mountain resort will have a rare chance to see Welles's masterful Shakespeare adaptation, Chimes at Midnight. The film, starring Welles as Falstaff, has been out of circulation for several years as the families of the producers, Harry Saltzman and Emiliano Piedra, try to work out who owns it.
"At the end of the day, the families both thought Chimes at Midnight was a film in prison. The only place in which it could come out of prison, just for one screening, was Locarno. They agreed that Locarno was a place for film lovers, not a place for a trial," Cavina says.

Chimes at Midnight is not the only fought-over title in the "Magnificent Welles" bill. Locarno is also holding a series of workshops featuring the unfinished works. There will be reconstructions of some of the films cut without the director's approval: Locarno will screen a 111-minute version of The Magnificent Ambersons (1942), including photographs of the cut scenes. There is a new version of Mr Arkadin and there will also be rare footage of The Deep (1967-1969).

"He was tying and untying chains," Cavina says as she contemplates Welles's extraordinarily complicated business and private life. "He wasn't a crook and nobody perceived him as a crook. But he was a . . . prestidigitator."

atcolomb

#20 Post by atcolomb » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:28 am

I wonder how they will show a 111 minute version of the Magnificent Ambersons?.....The movie is now at 88 minutes so will they show stills for the other 23 minutes? And how about the audio?....maybe from the radio broadcast of Ambersons Welles did with his Mercury theater?.........

yoshimori

Chimes at Midnight / Falstaff (Orson Welles, 1965)

#21 Post by yoshimori » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:11 am

from Studio canal on 10/3/05:

Chimes at Midnight / Falstaff (Orson Welles, 1965)

Falstaff (with The Trial and The Third Man)

Gordon

#22 Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:20 am

VERY, VERY interesting. Well-spotted, yoshimori!

Studio Canal have fairly high standards, so I am hoping that the transfer is good and if they could only fix the problems with the soundtrack... Falstaff is also available separately.

atcolomb

#23 Post by atcolomb » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:29 pm

I wonder if the dvd will look better than the Spanish Suevia Films dvd release? That dvd is ok looking but could be better!!

BrightEyes23

#24 Post by BrightEyes23 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:55 pm

Has anyone seen this or know where to order it from? Thanks!

MatthyewW

#25 Post by MatthyewW » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:26 pm

DVDGo in Spain usually has it in stock. It looks okay and it is the original English language version.