French DVD & Blu-ray Recommendations

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
TMDaines

Re: French DVD & Blu-ray Recommendations

#76 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:08 am

You don't even have to rip it: just watch it in VLC.

unclehulot

#77 Post by unclehulot » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:06 am

I think XBMC will work as well, in the more recent versions?

Aunt Peg

#78 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 am

FNAC have some more WB exclusives.

I have ordered Red Dust, The Unsuspected & Fast Walking. There are a host of other titles that have been released via FNAC that are only available in the US on DVD-Rs.

Also FNAC appears to be about the only place one can purchase the DVD of Providence (Resnais) at a reasonable price if you live outside of France.

Aunt Peg

#79 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 am

I received my FNAC order.

Red Dust, Fast Walking & The Unsuspected are all pressed discs with options to watch to films without subtitles.

Fast Walking is to be avoided. It's 4x3 cropped as opposed to the Warners Archive which is 16x9 and with much better picture quality.

Red Dust appears to be the same print as the Warner Archive, though French disc of The Unsuspected looked better. What is interesting about the French Red Dust & The Unsuspected is that they are not 4X3 in that they have about an inch more picture on both sides without loosing barely anything at the top and bottom. To watch them properly ones TV must be set to 16x9. If it is set to 4x3 the picture is squashed up.

Needless to say Providence looked very good and does not have forced subtitles. I'll be watching the film again later this week as I haven't seen it since it was first released.

bdsweeney

#80 Post by bdsweeney » Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 am

Can anyone recommend a site to purchase French blus (particularly Carlotta titles) for international shipping apart from Amazon.fr?

Cheers! :D

zedz

#81 Post by zedz » Tue May 13, 2014 12:55 am

You could try fnac.com, but be sure to check their shipping rates before you finalize your order. I haven't used them in a while and they used to be exorbitant.

Aunt Peg

#82 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue May 13, 2014 3:40 am

zedz wrote:You could try fnac.com, but be sure to check their shipping rates before you finalize your order. I haven't used them in a while and they used to be exorbitant.
They still are I'm afraid.

zedz

#83 Post by zedz » Tue May 13, 2014 6:20 pm

I don't know why you're avoiding amazon.fr, but amazon.it and amazon.es also tend to carry a lot of French titles, and are sometimes cheaper that .fr.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#84 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 pm

You might also check DaaVeeDee, which charges a premium but also only charges like $2 total for shipping and it's already in the US-- might work out as good or better than importing depending on the title

L.A.

#85 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:14 am

Raymond Bernard's Les Croix de Bois / Wooden Crosses coming to Blu-ray on Nov. 12th. Please, let there be English subtitles.

rrenault

#86 Post by rrenault » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:19 am

Someone else on here must own the Potemkine DVD release of Tarkovsky'sThe Mirror. I ask, because I was wondering if anyone else noticed the final scene of the film is unrestored on that disc.

RobertAltman

#87 Post by RobertAltman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am

Has anyone pick up the French release of Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars? Can't find any reviews online, and I'm curious whether or not the French subs are removable.

tenia

#88 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:58 am

I've read it's 1080i50, but I don't know about the french subs.

RobertAltman

#89 Post by RobertAltman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks, if it's 1080i I'll pass and wait for a better alternative.

repeat

#90 Post by repeat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Although there's no dedicated thread for either the label or the director, and although I know this will be of interest to less than five people here, I think it's worth mentioning that Potemkine has recently released a box set of the major works of the great unknown/neglected/underrated Soviet director Gleb Panfilov, marking as far as I know the first proper release of these masterworks outside of their native country. I've written a few words about I Wish To Speak in the Recommendations for Second Run thread, and the rest are just as good: these are vital, inventive, original, and historically important works - massive recommendation for anyone interested in Russian/Soviet cinema/history, provided you can make do with either the original audio or French subtitles (English fansubs are also available at least for The Theme and No Ford Through Fire)

Edit - I'll just translate the Potemkine description here if only to back up my hyperbole a little bit:

"Leading light of the Russian New Wave, Gleb Panfilov (b. 1934) is very overlooked today. He is however, along with Tarkovsky, Konchalovsky and Mikhalkov, one of the greatest Russian directors of his generation. Inna Tchurikova (b. 1943) portrayed the heroine of his first feature, No Ford Through Fire: encountering this unorthodox, original, passionate and disarming actress made a strong impression on Panfilov, and they have formed an inseparable cinematic couple ever since. This box set presents the four first films of this unique duo, made between the late 60's and the early 80's, fueled by one central idea: to be free and creative in a stagnated society that seemed to have forgotten the ideals of revolution. All of the films have received distinctions at major festivals, including The Theme, which after having been banned by censorship for seven years received the Golden Bear at the Berlinale in 1987."

Once again, too bad about the subtitles - someone in the English-speaking world should pick these films up pronto.

tenia

#91 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:08 am

There was Criterion : now it seems that QOL has pressed unstable BDs for French labels such as M6, Gaumont, TF1, Metropolitan and Wild Side.

Are concerned at least the movies :

The Incredible Hulk (M6)
Silent Hill (Metropolitan) (maybe only the 2-discs release)
Sin City (Wild Side)
The Fountain (TF1)
Polanski's Pirates (TF1) (which will be highly difficult to replace because TF1 has lost the rights)
Pulp Fiction (TF1)

The problem has been aknowledged for Hulk and Sin City, where replacements discs has been sent already to French residents. There seems that it's not the case yet for The Fountain, and even less for the other titles.

As it is currently for Criterion, there is no facts regarding the spread of this issue. However (and that's why I've stated it in my first sentence), it seems to be linked to QOL (this being said, there isn't 10 000 pressing manufacturers anymore in France...).

Aunt Peg

#92 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:34 am

Does anyone happen to know if French DVD of Frederick Wiseman's At Berkeley has removable or forced French subtitles?

martin

#93 Post by martin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:11 pm

The French Varda box is down to 95€ at amazon.es. I'm not quite sure of the price history of this set but I've been looking for it lately, and it has been priced around 140€ at amazon.fr for some time.

Calvin

French DVD & Blu-ray Recommendations

#94 Post by Calvin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:15 pm

A collection of films by the Lumiere Brothers will be released on Blu-Ray in May. 150 films have been restored in 4K

david hare

#95 Post by david hare » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Very nice transfer of Cutters Way from Sidonis.

Subs removable on my Oppo.

tenia

#96 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 am

Looked like a dated master to me.

Raymond Marble

#97 Post by Raymond Marble » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm

I just noticed last night that amazon.fr has a couple of long-unavailable Anna Karina movies available for pre-order on DVD: her directorial debut, Vivre Ensemble, from M6 on September 6th, and Sheherazade from Gaumont on October 11th. I've seen Sheherazade thanks to Old Mr Internet, and enjoyed it--it's the first 70mm production ever from France, and while it's certainly formulaic and populist, it's enjoyable all the same. (And: Jean-Luc Godard makes a cameo in it; surely this is the most commercial project he ever got anywhere near.) Vivre Ensemble is the bigger surprise of the two; not only have I not seen it, but last year (maybe the year before?) there was a mention of it in Sight & Sound, which largely said that the author wanted to see it, but had never been able to track it down.

To my knowledge, neither of these films has been released on any home video format anywhere in the world before. I've vaguely been hoping that Sheherazade would turn up in one of those 70mm series that have gotten popular lately, but Vivre Ensemble I wasn't entirely expecting to ever get to see in my lifetime. Needless to say, a nice surprise for me in the middle of the night last night.