Recommendations for French DVDs with French subtitles?

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
nsps

Re:

#26 Post by nsps » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:23 am

Knappen wrote:The whole Marseilles trilogy by Pagnol is also subbed in french and english.
Which release does this refer to? Was there a UK release, or the French CHF? (I don't remember one on the Kino.)

Knappen

Re: Recommendations for French DVDs with French subtitles?

#27 Post by Knappen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 am

62.99€ at Fnac.

If you're not sure about subtitling on some of the films I could pass by a store here in Paris and check for you. Just make a list.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#28 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:20 am

Well, if you are interested in _Russian_ films with French subtitles -- Bach Films has a number of passable DVDs of Boris Barnet films (including the exquisite Bluest of Seas) that are not available otherwise.

Essential Asian DVDs with French subtitles -- Naomi Kawase's Moe no suzaku, HOU Hsiao Hsien's Millennium Mambo and Abbas Kiarostami's Wind Will Carry Us.

PillowRock

#29 Post by PillowRock » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 pm

nsps wrote:
PillowRock wrote:From the POV of practicing and improving my French skills ......

I would be happy if the occasional R1 DVD that has both French dubbing and French subtitles would actually have the two match.

A couple times I've turned both on at the same time ..... and so far the two have never been close.
Thanks for the note. I wonder if they're writing the subtitles more for Canadian French or something.
I'm not sure.

Mostly, it just seemed like they were two separate translations done without reference to each other. So it just followed that they would often choose different phrasings ..... especially since translating for dubbing and translating for subtitling have different sets of priorities.

If you are doing a dubbing there's more of a tendancy to try to minimize (at least somewhat) the obvious mismatches between mouth movements and audio. If you are doing subtitling there's more of a tendancy to go for brevity so that the viewer can more easily keep up (and when you get to things like overlapped mile-a-minute arguing, lots just gets left out).

Plus, of course, sometimes the exact phrasing of the original dialog was chosen as much for a rhyming or rhthmic pattern as for the exact meaning of the word. That creates another set of competing priorities in the translation, and you get different choices from different translators.

And sometimes there are changes in subtitles that I just don't understand. Why a set of subs would do things like change "You don't have to stay" to "You can leave if you want to", I generally don't understand.

Most of my observations about the oddities of translating specifically for subtitles have come from the French movies I've watched. I do speak some French, but I'm not fluant enough to turn off the subs.

nsps

#30 Post by nsps » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Knappen wrote:If you're not sure about subtitling on some of the films I could pass by a store here in Paris and check for you. Just make a list.
Wow, thanks a lot for the offer—I think I'll be alright with what I've found so far, unless there are any essential French releases that are notably superior in PQ to their US counterparts.

Thanks also for the FNAC link. For some reason the trilogy isn't available from Amazon.fr (other than from marketplace sellers), and Amazon.fr never seems to list sub-titles or captioning. Is the trilogy recently out of print?

Knappen

#31 Post by Knappen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Nah. I actually saw it stocked at the entrance of Gilbert Joseph after writing that last post.

Hail_Cesar

#32 Post by Hail_Cesar » Sat May 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Is there a topic for Italian DVDs With Italian Subs?

otis

#33 Post by otis » Sun May 24, 2009 3:58 am

Not that I know of, but if you want to start one, I'll contribute some suggestions.

Zazou dans le Metro

#34 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Sun May 24, 2009 9:30 am

Restored Franju 'Eyes' here with french subs and interesting bonus. Screen caps on the test page.

http://www.ecranlarge.com/dvd_review-list-7749.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knappen

#35 Post by Knappen » Sun May 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Not the talkiest of films, though!