Histoire(s) du Cinema

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
NABOB OF NOWHERE

#51 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Well I just got another e-mail from Amazon.fr giving me a date of 6th.March. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel....or maybe it's just an oncoming train.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#52 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:13 pm

Well it was an oncoming train.......Last e-mail announced that the title has been removed from all future schedules!!!

tavernier

#53 Post by tavernier » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:54 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Well it was an oncoming train.......Last e-mail announced that the title has been removed from all future schedules!!!
At least they're keeping you informed....I got the email that my order was being cancelled, and that was that!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#54 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:43 pm

From the front page of DVDBeaver:
***Preliminary Reports may indicate that Gaumont's much anticipated 'Godard's Histoire (s) du Cinéma' has been shelved, saying "la parution de l'article suivant a ete annulee" (the release of this item has been cancelled). It's still listed for sale on the site HERE, but it seems they're not expecting it to appear. (Thanks Sam)*** NOTE: We have been now told it is put back to April!

Arn777

#55 Post by Arn777 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:39 pm

Once again, it is fairly typical of Gaumont. I really doubt it will come out in April, Amazon wouldn't write it that way, and Fnac has removed it altogether, but in production limbo, as is their Bresson box.

tavernier

#56 Post by tavernier » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:21 pm

Arn777 wrote:Once again, it is fairly typical of Gaumont.
Does anybody know what's up with Gaumont? First the Bresson box, now the Godard Histoire box....what gives?

Arn777

#57 Post by Arn777 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:01 pm

Poor planning is my guess. The first Pialat box was announced and then delayed by over a year. And the same happened for the second box set, another year delay. One can hope that the delay for the Bresson and JLG is due to Gaumont getting good transfers and a wealth of supplements.
They are notoriously bad, most of their release do not come out on time.

tavernier

#58 Post by tavernier » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:58 am

Arn777 wrote:They are notoriously bad, most of their release do not come out on time.
Well, as long as the results are good (I hear that the Pialat boxed sets are great, except for not having English subs), then I'll wait for Bresson and Godard.

a7m4

#59 Post by a7m4 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:28 am

I just saw the first two parts of Histoire(s) Du Cinema at UCLA (they are screening 3 & 4 on Sunday) from a subtitled Beta-SP provided by Gaumont. I have no idea if they will be the same subtitles that will be on the upcoming DVD, but UCLA billed it as "local premiere of Gaumont's fully subtitled video restoration of HISTOIRE(S)." The version was definitely not what I would consider "fully subtitled." None of the intertitles or on screen text were subtitled and only a little more than half of Godard's voice over seemed to be subtitled. As far as other dialogue, interviews, etc it sort of varied what was subtitled and what was not. It seems like they only subtitled what they considered to be the most essential. The film still seemed to lose none of its power and while I think a little more could have been subtitled I don't know how I would feel if everything was completely subtitled as there are often multiple layers of sound and text and if all of it were subtitled the screen would be almost completely covered with subtitles for much of the film. Hopefully the DVD set won't be delayed again because I am looking forward to watching it again as this is one of those films that definitely merits multiple viewings. Also, if anyone in the area is interested UCLA added another screening of the first and second parts on Sunday at 2pm in addition to the already scheduled screening of the third and fourth parts at 7. The box office opens at 1, but I would arrive early as the film tonight was sold out and many people could not get tickets.

Edit 2/12:
I just saw parts 3 and 4 and the subtitles were much more complete; almost all of the dialogue was translated. Robert Koehler, who introduced the films both nights mentioned tonight that he wasn't sure if these would be the same subtitles as the ones on the upcoming R2 DVD set, but he agreed that the subtitles for the first two parts screened at UCLA seemed "lazy."

Jeff LeVine

#60 Post by Jeff LeVine » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:19 pm

fnac is now listing May 3rd for a release date. Plus the following extras:

Conférence de presse de Jean-Luc Godard à Cannes (52 minutes)

"L'Origine du XXIème siècle" : court-métrage de Jean-Luc Godard (13 minutes)

"2 X 50 ans de cinéma français" (Film corrosif avec Godard et Piccoli - 52 minutes)

Kirkinson

#61 Post by Kirkinson » Wed May 03, 2006 10:45 pm

May 23rd now.

tavernier

#62 Post by tavernier » Wed May 03, 2006 11:06 pm

The Beaver thinks there may not be English subs....stay tuned.

Hashi

#63 Post by Hashi » Sat May 06, 2006 11:02 am

tavernier wrote:
Kirkinson wrote:May 23rd now.
The Beaver thinks there may not be English subs....stay tuned.
Oh yes, but if I understood correctly, Za Beaver took this assumption from www.dvdfr.com. The site (dvdfr) has often incorrect or very incomplete specs, and right now if you look at it, seems they don't know anything about this Histoire(s) set. But anyway, I also take the Gaumont comment about having eng subs with a grain of salt.

tavernier

#64 Post by tavernier » Sat May 06, 2006 11:05 am

You're right about www.dvdfr.com - they are often wrong about subtitles.

accatone

#65 Post by accatone » Mon May 08, 2006 11:33 am

As far as i found this link via wikipedia, i am not sure if it is allready well known - nevertheless i found it quite tremndous. Just click through the chapters and you will get plenty of info on each sequence ...

Arn777

#66 Post by Arn777 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:08 pm

Gaumont pushed the release back again, now June 6th, maybe...

godardslave

#67 Post by godardslave » Thu May 25, 2006 4:49 pm

at this rate, that's probably as close as you get to the cover until 2007. #-o

tavernier

#68 Post by tavernier » Sat May 27, 2006 9:52 am

I ordered this from amazon.fr last month, along with 4 other discs. I finally got an email from amazon.fr this morning that the 4 other discs have shipped, but not the Godard set.

It's funny: they list it as being released on May 23, but say that it will be shipped "in 7 to 13 days." Sigh.

s_mac_k

#69 Post by s_mac_k » Mon May 29, 2006 8:04 am

July 24 at amazon.fr.
Sod it.

s_mac_k

#70 Post by s_mac_k » Mon May 29, 2006 7:09 pm

I have had little experience with Gaumont's particular brand of emotional torture and I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to help me. I've had a good look around for this info but I think that there is no one qualified as you guys to help. I need to place a preorder for Histoire (for various reasons) and I have three questions that I think someone out there may be able to help with...
1. Has Gaumont ever said there will be english subs on a coming release and then pulled them?
2. Does anyone have any thoughts on if the extras (which look pretty cool) will be subtitled?
3. Could we really imagine AE improving on existing subtitles when clearly Gaumont are already having to think much harder about it than they first anticipated?
Thanks, I can appreciate that everyone is really jack about the whole question of english subs on this release by now but any help that can be offered in my making this decision is hugely appreciated.
And by the by, what are Gaumont thinking? I can appreciate saying that we are working on something and then a year later giving us a release date and inevitably, there are occasional hold ups, but are they thinking that by constantly announcing release dates then bumping them, they're going to achieve some sort of low budget viral marketing campaign? Am I contributing to that by making this post? Does my gratefulness for the release outweigh my frustration with Gaumont? Should it?
Aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
sigh...
I apologise for the public venting and for the length of this post.

Oedipax

#71 Post by Oedipax » Mon May 29, 2006 10:26 pm

At this point I'm not really holding out much hope for english subtitles, so the whole repeated delays thing is allowing me some nice schadenfreude. And if, lo and behold, upon release it does feature the subs - so much the better!

BrightEyes23

#72 Post by BrightEyes23 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:08 pm

doesn't it just seem at this point that for those of us that need english subs (or at least want them) that the AE release of this will be out before the gaumont will? :)

s_mac_k

#73 Post by s_mac_k » Tue May 30, 2006 12:05 am

oedipax, damn your zen like calm, and bright eyes, in an infinite universe it would be a fine day of just purchasing indeed
:shock:

Ovader

#74 Post by Ovader » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:47 pm

I recently received an e-mail from Amazon.fr stating that my pre-order (33,44 Euros) for this DVD set has been cancelled because the DVDs are not being published. Not a surprise to me since there have been numerous delays as most people know but still a disappointment.

tavernier

#75 Post by tavernier » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 pm

Ovader wrote:I recently received an e-mail from Amazon.fr stating that my pre-order (33,44 Euros) for this DVD set has been cancelled because the DVDs are not being published. Not a surprise to me since there have been numerous delays as most people know but still a disappointment.

I just got that same e-mail. :evil: #-o :^o ](*,)