Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Person

#126 Post by Person » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:23 pm

No reviews show up for Hoffmann at DVD-Basen, but has the German transfer been compared to the Criterion?

Tommaso

Re: Powell and Pressburger Region 2 DVDs

#127 Post by Tommaso » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:05 am

The French company "Les films de ma vie" has recently released four Powell films on disc. These are "The Phantom Light", "Red Ensign", "They're a weird mob", and making its dvd debut, "The Fire Raisers" (1934). A little bit of info can be found at this place. They're all available at amazon France for 9,99 Euros, but it seems you have to do a re-burn to get rid of the subs. Still, "The Fire Raisers" might be worth the effort.

triodelover

Re: Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

#128 Post by triodelover » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm

David, do you mind if I'm a bit more enthusiastic about this release than you? :D I watched it last Friday night and I was overjoyed, particularly following the disappointment of the recent Les enfants du paradis. I'll defer to your expertise on the color balance, but in motion I didn't see anything untoward. I was watching the early scenes of the Boer War sequence closely and in particularly the uniforms of the period to see how the rich, intense colors came off. In the scene in the lobby of the bath house I thought Candy's red tunic, grey cape and black helmet were spot-on. Nothing crushed or blown out and the red as true as I've scene in anything from the period. (In fact, I'd put this one up there with the Gaumont French Cancan as the best Blus in my collection in this respect). The depth of field in scenes like the convent dining hall and Candy's London dining room (particularity the scene with Theo after his POW release) was impressive and the detail, starting with the intro tapestry credits, was superb. It's far better than the best SD, the French Warner issue. The audio was a huge step up from the generally muddled audio on every SD version I've heard. My wife and I loved the whole presentation.

I'm sure the Crit package will win on extras, if for nothing else other than porting over the Powell/Scorsese commentary from the SD. Based on their history with color issues though (e.g. Le Cercle Rouge, I'm less certain that CC will offer a definitive version, but more like an alternative, equally good option that, like the ITV, will be nearly perfect but not quite. At any rate, for lovers of the film there's a lot of joy to be had here.
Last edited by triodelover on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommaso

#129 Post by Tommaso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I have to say that this looks pretty stunning to my eyes, remembering the over-red face of Blimp in the first screenshot on the old Criterion disc, for example. But there has been a lot of disagreement on the right colours on those P&P-movies (I'm still very unconvinced about the colours of the Sony "A matter of life and death" if compared to the old and otherwise very deficient Carlton), so I really hope that Criterion will present their new version soon to see whether it looks any different. They did full justice to "The Red Shoes" after all, and I want all those "Blimp" extras, too... But Heavens, this ITV disc for the moment seems to present the film as well as never before.

matrixschmatrix

#130 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Is there a new resto of A Matter of Life and Death as well as Blimp?

Tommaso

#131 Post by Tommaso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:Is there a new resto of A Matter of Life and Death as well as Blimp?
The latest one is a few years old and was released by Sony together with "Age of Consent". Excellent picture quality, but very controversial colour scheme.
david hare wrote:
You know I couldn't help noticing how much there is a parallel going on between the incredible nostalgia for the English countryside, and a comparable nostalgia for a pre-War Berlin, when the city was relatively new and full of hope (as it is to me today in fact!).
Absolutely. For Pressburger it must have been rather pre-1933 Berlin than strictly pre-war, I suppose; those late Weimar years when he started off as a screenwriter and added to or wrote scripts for such wonderful films as Siodmak's "Abschied", Schünzel's "Ronny", or even (uncredited) Lamprecht's "Emil und die Detektive". And one can discern the hands of the later master in these already. Seeing these films and many others from the same period has curiously created a 'nostalgia' in me for a time and place I've of course never known.

But similar feelings are inspired for the English countryside for me whenever I listen to Vaughan Williams or indeed when watching "A Canterbury Tale".

triodelover

#132 Post by triodelover » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Well, I'm probably in Tom's (and your hubby's camp) more than yours, but that's what makes horse races. I noticed Livesey's makeup in the opening bath scenes and was somewhat startled the prosthetic belly was so obvious. I'm going to go back and look at the resto doc again now that you've provided details.

As far as dialogue goes, despite my age I had never seen the film until the advent of DVD (and immediately feel in love with it). I grew up in a small Southern city and I can say with some assurance it would never have made the local rounds there. In fact, the only P&P I was aware of at the time was The Red Shoes and that's only because several young women friends had taken ballet as girls and apparently the film was required viewing. (Which is a bit stage considering the story arc and having to explain things to young girls in the Bible Belt.)

Did I not read somewhere the CC will announce their version in Q1, 2013? I'm certain I'll buy it because one can't have too many copies of this one, and at least the packaging can't be any worse that that shimmering Photoshop monstrosity on the steelbook.
Last edited by triodelover on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brianruns10

#133 Post by Brianruns10 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 pm

david hare wrote:Yes, it's a profoundly personal film for both Powell and Emeric. I think it's their most perfect film, and I suspect this also has as much to with Perinal as it does with P&P. Perinal has a signature camera position amd movement - from slightly above and then in for a long take, then out which he seems to have perfected to elegantly accomodate Powell's long takes, Theo's sublime monologue in a three minute single take about his life to the Immigration authorites being the most devastating.
I'm with you there David. Theo's monologue is the greatest of the '40s, rivaled only by Bernstein's monologue on memory in "Citizen Kane."

Murdoch

#134 Post by Murdoch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Now if only we could get an upgrade of I Know Where I'm Going!

Brianruns10

#135 Post by Brianruns10 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 am

I've longed for a proper release of "Gone to Earth," coupled with it's American edit.

Tommaso

#136 Post by Tommaso » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 am

And I want ANY sort of release of "The Elusive Pimpernel" and "Rosalinda". I really don't understand why these two films are so neglected when almost everything else by P&P has multiple editions worldwide.

triodelover

#137 Post by triodelover » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:02 am

peerpee
not perpee

#138 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm

According to Thelma, from a June 2011 interview, next from the Film Foundation/Thelma/Scorsese is THE TALES OF HOFFMANN, and apparently the BFI are doing A CANTERBURY TALE.

http://www.fluxmagazine.com/index.php/f ... hoonmaker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#139 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Tommaso

#140 Post by Tommaso » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Ah....nay.... the Blu may have better detail, but that Technicolor exuberance of which Gary speaks can only be seen in the CC (or the earlier incarnations of that transfer). Much more delirious colours on the dvd, if you ask me.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#141 Post by Drucker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I agree with David. Those blu ray shots seem ...weirdly hazy.

JamesF

#142 Post by JamesF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am

Murdoch wrote:Now if only we could get an upgrade of I Know Where I'm Going!
Not a UK release, but a French BD was quietly released by Elephant Films last month: https://www.amazon.fr/Sais-Vais-Combo-B ... 075L1PT35/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chiendent

#143 Post by chiendent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Just saw that DVDBeaver just posted the French BD. I saw a decent print of it last year and it doesn't seem that far off so I'm very tempted. I'd love to see a more lavish edition come out from a UK or US label, it really deserves one (and hopefully a 4K restoration in the future).

Werewolf by Night

Powell and Pressburger (UK releases)

#144 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

DVDClassik says it’s only slightly better than (and possibly the same transfer as) the French DVD released in 2006.

Werewolf by Night

#145 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks, that’s a more encouraging review.

Lost Highway

#146 Post by Lost Highway » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 am

Thank you, I’ve been dithering about getting this because the Beaver grabs didn’t look that good. It is one of my favourite films too.

Lost Highway

#147 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:16 am

Received the French blu-ray of I Know Where I’m Going yesterday and can only agree with david hare. This needs a proper restoration, but meanwhile it’s a good enough upgrade over the DVD if you love the film. I watched it on my projector and while soft and full of scratches, it has a far more film like appearance.

antnield

#148 Post by antnield » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Oh... Rosalinda!! coming to Blu from Network.

starmanof51

#149 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:51 pm

antnield wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 pm
Oh... Rosalinda!! coming to Blu from Network.
Thank you! Couldn’t resist jumping on the preorder. Don’t care how messy a movie it is, I’m deeply in the bag for P+P

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#150 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm

No wonder temperatures have been so mild this summer, we’re getting residual cooling from Hell freezing over