Mizoguchi Kenji on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
HerrSchreck

Re: Mizoguchi Kenji on DVD

#51 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:58 am

Yeah I'm surprised you guys didn't know about that Image disc-- an english subbed edition of 47 Ro's was quite an important thing back in the early days of DVD... this prior to Mizo's real bigtime "rediscovery" in the younger cinephile community (as opposed to critics in the know who've been hip to works like Sansho and Ugetsu Monogatari for decades), especially as CC started bringing the best known titles out in premium editions.

It's faults-- especially versus the fully restored editions of today from best possible archive elements-- beyond five years ago didn't come anywhere near overwhelming its pluses.

As for the differences, despite the soupy look of the MK2, you can see them clearly in the clothing and face details, especially of the ronin's master who is being restrained after his attack.

Sloper

#52 Post by Sloper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 am

Ah... Looking at the Beaver comparison reminded me why I didn't get the Image disc a few years ago. It was selling for about £100 or more. I was confused earlier because both that and the Korean version are now available quite cheaply. Anyway, I'm so glad this is coming out in a respectable edition - probably my favourite Mizoguchi - and hope US/UK editions will follow soon.

HerrSchreck

#53 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am

Sloper wrote: It was selling for about £100 or more. I was confused earlier because both that and the Korean version are now available quite cheaply.
It was so high because it was 1) out of print, and 2) at the time the only english-friendly edition available of this important film by this then-completely underrepresented-in-the-west legendary director. Same thing that happened with things like BRUTE FORCE... the old Image disc went oop and was fetching huge prices on eBay... then the CC came out and put those ripoffs to sleep.
Tommaso wrote:That Image disc isn't so bad given that it's almost ten years old now.
It came out in 1999, so its eleven years old now. Back when it came out, is was a dream come true.

I'd say the situation for a premium R1 release is very encouraging, since the print used for the old IMage 47 Ro came from the Janus library. So a nice CC editions shouldn't be considered a stretch of the imagination by any means.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#54 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 am

Actually there was a Korean clone of the (out of print) Image release that was quite cheap.

perkizitore

#55 Post by perkizitore » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Does MK2 own the UK rights?

myrnaloyisdope

#56 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:Actually there was a Korean clone of the (out of print) Image release that was quite cheap.
Yes I have it, it's perfectly watchable, the print looks rough, but I didn't notice any real problems with the transfer.

Ashirg

#57 Post by Ashirg » Mon May 10, 2010 7:20 am

I noticed that Utamaro and His Five Women has been released in Brazil, region 0 with English subtitles by Lume Filmes. Does anyone know about the quality of this release?

manicsounds

#58 Post by manicsounds » Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Loyal 47 Ronin Australian review. Commentary on top of it too.

Murasaki53

#59 Post by Murasaki53 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Just watched the Madman version on DVD and can also confirm that the picture quality is a significant improvement on the Image disc. Additionally, the Madman edition has more extensive subtitling that seems to me to be quite lyrical in places - whoever did it deserves a lot of credit. I have only listened to snatches of the commentary thus far but what I heard was captivating. All in all, this release is, in my view, up there with the best offerings from Criterion and Masters of Cinema and I'm therefore a bit surprised that they never got around to issuing it themselves.

I'm not sure how others feel about this but I love the fact that this film is - to put it bluntly - all talk and no action. I can well imagine why some people find it dull but its sombre nature and preoccupation with the nuances of samurai protocol mesmerise me every time I watch it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#60 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 am

Mizoguchi's film is based on a highly philosophical series of kabuki plays, which replaced action by discussion (and reflection) as to events that typically are not shown onstage. Even in its previous state, I found this film fascinating (and sometimes very moving) but also very disconcerting.

John Edmond

#61 Post by John Edmond » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 am

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#62 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 pm

John Edmond wrote:Mizoguchi.....blu-ray
More than twice as expensive as the upcoming DVD set -- I wonder whether this can possibly be worth the extra cost, given the state of the film elements.

eerik

#63 Post by eerik » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
More than twice as expensive as the upcoming DVD set -- I wonder whether this can possibly be worth the extra cost, given the state of the film elements.
Artificial Eye Blu-rays tend to get very cheap about six months after the release...

Calvin

#64 Post by Calvin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 pm

I don't think it's a bad price. It's just a little more expensive than the Three Colours Trilogy but has a bit more content.

Cremildo

#65 Post by Cremildo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24 am

Ashirg wrote:I noticed that Utamaro and His Five Women has been released in Brazil, region 0 with English subtitles by Lume Filmes. Does anyone know about the quality of this release?
This might be a moot point now that the film has been announced on Blu-ray, but here is a review (the text was mysteriously excised, but the ratings are still up).

Picture quality: 3.5/5
Audio quality: 3/5
Bonus materials/menu: 0.5/5
Final rating: 3/5

MichaelB

#66 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 pm

eerik wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:
Artificial Eye Blu-rays tend to get very cheap about six months after the release...
Yes, I've just bought a whole load from Amazon, and Melancholia (understandably) was the only one more expensive than £6.49.