Luis Buñuel on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
david hare

Re: Death in the Garden/La Mort en ce jardin (Bunuel, 1956)

#126 Post by david hare » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Well what the hell is the dvd label? Is it a boot or what? Where's it from? Where canya buy it?

Sorry Matt but given this and yet another Four Devils runaround I really worry about so many new members with acronymous high consonant impact names.

Gringo yes my hangover is undoubtedly worse than yours even though I drink Expensive hooch. You should see what I posted TWICE at Kehr's blog - as part of a riff on doubles in Bunuel. Even I was shocked. My twin that is.

BTW I have a DVDR of this movie, with English subs but its provenance is very VERY old PAL VHS. It's done the rounds of various fileshares. And the quality is faded hardly any color ratshit.

Revelator

Re: Death in the Garden/La Mort en ce jardin (Bunuel, 1956)

#127 Post by Revelator » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Confirmation here and here.

Someone owes echopark_dweller an apology...

AlexHansen

Re: Death in the Garden / La Mort en ce jardin (Bunuel, 1956)

#128 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:54 pm

The mention that Las Hurdes is also coming excited me. Finding out that Microcinema previously had plans to release it in late 2007 or early 2008 tempers that excitement a bit.

david hare

Re: Luis Buñuel on DVD

#129 Post by david hare » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Stay tempered.

Have you ever seen the source print for Las Hurdes with the original French narration on the Films sans Frontieres disc? This is basically the Cinematheque Francaise print, and I've personally never seen anything better but it's ragged as a dead rat. The Mort (hard subbed) is a tvrip which has been doing the rounds of unmentionable bootleg sites for years, is also drained of color and almost barely viewable. I wouldn't be putting money on this outfit's stuff being any better. But at least you can get the fileshare versions free. People shouldn't be paying money for quality of this abysmal level.

Awesome Welles

#130 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 am

The disc is available for pre-order if anyone gets it please report back!

L.A.

#131 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:32 pm

There's an Australian release of Un chien andalou which also includes Las Hurdes.

Yojimbo

#132 Post by Yojimbo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm just about to watch 'The Great Madcap' which just arrived yesterday.
Although I don't expect premium Bunuel, neither did I have high expectations for 'Susana', which I absolutely love, so here's hoping

Yojimbo

Re:

#133 Post by Yojimbo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:25 pm

jesus the mexican boi wrote:I disagree about this being minor Bunuel. Perhaps I'm biased -- I actually enjoy Bunuel's Mexican output as a whole much more than his earliest and latest works. But Susana is a film I can watch endlessly. It's charming and, I think, note-perfect in its portrayal of the reform school girl come to wreck the peaceful rancho by seducing anyone with a scrotum. I think it's a great doublefeature with El Bruto, as Susana and Katy Jurado's character in that film share certain affinities as lustful creatures. Also, I think it's interesting to see Bunuel's characterizations of the elderly in both films -- the slumlord's practically diapered dad in Bruto, and the dicho-spouting housekeeper in Susana. This film is especially about the subversion of order and even when order is seemingly restored, there's more subversion in the subtext.

Again, I highly recommend it to fans of epoca de oro Mexican cinema, Bunuelophiles and Russ Meyer fans. Ok, maybe they'll find it tame. But I dig it.
Speaking as a member of that exclusive club, I heartily concur: Bunuel is deliciously wicked and playful in this one: and its bookended by wonderful beginning and concluding scenes

Yojimbo

Re:

#134 Post by Yojimbo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:27 pm

david hare wrote:I agree Susana is far from minor. Among other things she becomes a catalytic agent who plays off labor and capital - and the way Bunuel embeds politics into his great Mexican pictures (Illusion Travels, etc) is wildly more sophisticated than the dominant play of political themes in the mid fifties French pics, notably La Fievre Monte a el Pao.

Speaking of Mexican Bunuel does anyone else have a soft spot for Abismos de Pasion? Along with the Rivette it's surely the best Wuthering Heights around. And light years ahead of the Wyler.
I studied the novel in school and was hugely disappointed by Kiju Yoshida's version, although I'll certainly be watching out for the Bunuel, whatever about the Rivette

tavernier

#135 Post by tavernier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Microcinema is releasing Le Mort en ce Jardin in R1 on October 27.
Available for the first time on DVD! The DVD was created using a newly restored print!

Special Features
- Restored picture and sound plus new and improved subtitles
- Audio commentary by film scholar Ernesto R. Acevedo-Munoz
- New video interviews with actor Michael Piccoli and film scholar Victor Fuentes
- Booklet featuring essays by Javier Espada, Juan-Luis Buñuel and Susan Hayward
- New and improved English subtitle translation

Revelator

#136 Post by Revelator » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Here's the link to Microcinema's listing: http://www.microcinemadvd.com/product/D ... arden.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can't wait to see it--part of my interest is that Raymond Queneau contributed to the script. A hell of a team-up!

echopark_dweller

#137 Post by echopark_dweller » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 am

Here is the trailer for Death in the Garden. It looks pretty clean.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Luis-Bunu ... 931?ref=mf

david hare

#138 Post by david hare » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 am

I humbly eat my words. Looks great!

Revelator

#139 Post by Revelator » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm

DVD Beaver has put up an overall good review of the screener: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... garden.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can preorder the DVD from Amazon for $17--I did so today.

Perkins Cobb

#140 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:30 am

So ... it's in the wrong aspect ratio, and it's an improper PAL->NTSC conversion. How is that good exactly?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#141 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:So ... it's in the wrong aspect ratio...
Where do you get this notion? (Not in the DVDBeav review, so far as I can tell).

zedz

#142 Post by zedz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:19 pm

I can see there's a lot of headroom in most shots, but it looks to me more like a case of the film being shot with two ARs in mind, and in that case I'd much rather the transfer erred on the side of openness. The shot with the truck in it would certainly suffer from a wider AR. The caps look pretty great to me.

Perkins Cobb

#143 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Actually, that is in the DVD Beaver review about the aspect ratio ... but you're right, I'm foolish to refer to it with that as my only source.

Fiery Angel

#144 Post by Fiery Angel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:32 pm

IMDB lists the aspect ratio as 1:37.1, FWIW.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#145 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Actually, that is in the DVD Beaver review about the aspect ratio ... but you're right, I'm foolish to refer to it with that as my only source.
As I recall the DVDB review calls the ratio used the proper one -- or did that get edited at some point?
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zedz

#146 Post by zedz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote:Actually, that is in the DVD Beaver review about the aspect ratio ... but you're right, I'm foolish to refer to it with that as my only source.
As I recall the DVDB review calls the ration used the proper one -- or did that get edited at some point?
Yes, it's been edited to add that somebody claims 1.66 is the correct ratio. To me it looks like a good instance of cinematographic bet-hedging, but I'm skipping town before another no-win aspect ratio argument arises.

GringoTex

#147 Post by GringoTex » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:18 am

zedz wrote: Yes, it's been edited to add that somebody claims 1.66 is the correct ratio. To me it looks like a good instance of cinematographic bet-hedging, but I'm skipping town before another no-win aspect ratio argument arises.
Wasn't VistaVision the only format using 1:66 in 1956?

david hare

#148 Post by david hare » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:50 am

No.
1.66 was an extremely common "alternative" mask for European and American non major-studio titles. But as Z says the original unmatted composition always suggests fence-sitting. If you watch La Mort in 1.37 it looks like "old fashioned" head room, but if you watch in in 1.66 (or make up your own at home) you get no heads cut or any bad cropping but a more "modern" look. I think you could easily apply 1.66 to almost anything made after 1953 that you're used to seeing in Academy and it would look OK.

Vistavision was capable of any masking from 1.66 to 2.00 based on the usual projection of 35mm reduction prints. Everyone seems to have settled on Paramount's favored 1.85 by 1955. Rear Window wasn't shot with VIstavision cameras but was screened 1.66 and in fact the onyl Vista title I can think of that did screen 1.66 was White Christmas. There is probably an argument for masking Searchers to 1.66 but that is based on horizontal masking (of the sides) not the air/headroom. If you watch the credits of the BluRay there is gate hair or debris on the left side all through them on the HD transfer.

1.66 still hangs around like a sort of anachronism in - say - the original screnings of Belle de Jour (and it's preserved on the fabulous Blu Ray) where it allows SOME air around two shots and CUs. And of course Dreyer goes to it for Gertrud in 65.

GringoTex

#149 Post by GringoTex » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks, Dave.

zedz

#150 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:33 pm

The ever-reliable David Hare!

My understanding is that 1.66 was always much more common in Europe than the US, particularly through the 60s and 70s, and I've seen a lot of European films from the period misframed at 1.85 because projectionists were unwilling or unable to mask to 1.66.