Essentials from Germany

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Tommaso

Re: Amazon.de: German discs worth buying

#101 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:58 am

Indeed! Avoid the US disc from Pathfinder (a semi-bootleg of sorts) at all costs. Much, much inferior to the arthaus disc. That goes for Pathfinder's "Olympia"-disc as well.

Particle Zoo

Re: Essentials from Germany

#102 Post by Particle Zoo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:40 am

I'm going to be in Berlin for a few days at the end of July. Any suggestions for both German films and any DVDs/Blus not available anywhere else? (I need English subs unfortunately). Also best places to buy them? Thanks.

Tommaso

#103 Post by Tommaso » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:49 am

One of the largest retailers is Kulturkaufhaus Dussmann in Friedrichstraße. Large selection of arthouse titles, and they usually seem to have all the titles from Edition Filmmuseum (English-friendly throughout)

Particle Zoo

#104 Post by Particle Zoo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:02 am

^ Thanks Tommaso, good for books too, I see!

TMDaines

#105 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:44 am

Particle Zoo wrote:I'm going to be in Berlin for a few days at the end of July. Any suggestions for both German films and any DVDs/Blus not available anywhere else? (I need English subs unfortunately). Also best places to buy them? Thanks.
Other than the Edition Filmmuseum label, there's quite slim pickings for disks with English subs, especially on classic German cinema. Unter den Brücken should be a must buy but I'm struggling after that. In terms of newer films there is Christian Petzold's Gespenster and Jerichow, Elementarteilchen and Glasner's Der freie Wille.

Finch

#106 Post by Finch » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Is Requiem any good? That's another Petzold if I remember correctly, no?

gyorgys

#107 Post by gyorgys » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Mr Finch wrote:Is Requiem any good? That's another Petzold if I remember correctly, no?
Yes. No, Hans-Christian Schmid.

Wu.Qinghua

#108 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Particle Zoo wrote:I'm going to be in Berlin for a few days at the end of July. Any suggestions for both German films and any DVDs/Blus not available anywhere else? (I need English subs unfortunately). Also best places to buy them? Thanks.
I can't become more explicit, but as firstly I don't like the Dussmann group at all and secondly remember their discs to be rather pricey, I recommend to check big stores like Saturn (Alexanderplatz) for the mainstream and Arthaus stuff - and to check if the store of the 'famous' (lol) Videodrom is still working. Maybe you can try to pre-order via internet and fetch the discs in their store in Kreuzberg, here's a link to Videodrom's webpage. Pricey, too, but in contrast to Dussmann it's run by correct guys and I think you could try to send them a mail.

Particle Zoo

#109 Post by Particle Zoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 pm

^Thanks for the replies, I shall definitely try to get 'Unter den Brucken' and go to all the stores recommended!

martin

#110 Post by martin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:02 am

Absolut Medien will release a Claude Lanzmann Gesamtausgabe (Complete Collection) September 2010. Although releases from Absolut Medien sometimes have English subs I'd be very surprised if it will be the case with this release. It will be a 10 disc box set:

lemmylermontov

#111 Post by lemmylermontov » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Someone know if the german edition of UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD has english subtitles?

Thanks

martin

#112 Post by martin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:16 am

The 3-disc edition doesn't. It has German subs (removable) and two audio tracks: English and German. The original English audio track has some sequences with other languages as well so it's not a full English track (but almost).

Jonathan S

#113 Post by Jonathan S » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 am

Could anyone who owns the Arte DVD of Griffith's Intolerance please comment on it, particularly on the score(s) and image quality? At one point it was suggested three scores would be included but I gather the orchestral one (a recreation of the original?) on the Arte TV broadcast was omitted. The only music credit I can find for the DVD is "Galeshka Moravioff, 1997" and I fear this is another synthesizer score, like Kino's. I've also read conflicting comments on the image quality - one claiming Arte's is the best DVD, another claiming it's "less sharp" than Kino's.

I'd love to have a disc of the Photoplay version that I recorded off UK TV about 20 years ago with Carl Davis' score, but I suspect that isn't going to happen!

jbaart

#114 Post by jbaart » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:48 am

Jonathan S wrote:Could anyone who owns the Arte DVD of Griffith's Intolerance please comment on it, particularly on the score(s) and image quality? At one point it was suggested three scores would be included but I gather the orchestral one (a recreation of the original?) on the Arte TV broadcast was omitted. The only music credit I can find for the DVD is "Galeshka Moravioff, 1997" and I fear this is another synthesizer score, like Kino's. I've also read conflicting comments on the image quality - one claiming Arte's is the best DVD, another claiming it's "less sharp" than Kino's.

I'd love to have a disc of the Photoplay version that I recorded off UK TV about 20 years ago with Carl Davis' score, but I suspect that isn't going to happen!
I don't own it but afaik the Arte DVD does not feature the restored version broadcasted on the Arte TV channel. So you might wanna be careful there.

Googled it and here's a lose translation of a post on a german board.

"This is not the beautifully restored version broadcasted on Arte with the new score but rather the Mk2 version already released in France with mediocre image quality and organ score."

Jonathan S

#115 Post by Jonathan S » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:20 am

Many thanks, jbaart. I did eventually find a previous post on here by Tommaso apparently referring to the German post you quote. It also concurs with a recent customer review on Amazon.de mentioning a "less sharp" image than Kino's. The claim I read that it was the best version must have been referring only to the Arte broadcast. Initially I thought the Arte DVD probably used the TV restoration with a different score due to music copyright issues, but it now seems both sound and image are inferior.

Davidspector

#116 Post by Davidspector » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:49 am

I saw Intolerance screen grabs from the Arte broadcast and was knocked out - immediately ordered the DVD from Amazon.de. But the DVD I found inferior to the Kino and I am no great fan of the Kino. A correspondent on the DVDBeaver forum alerted me to the fact that broadcasts are not necessarily what is on the Arte DVD. Too bad!

Minkin

#117 Post by Minkin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:13 am

Has anyone seen or know of a release of Ihre Hoheit befiehlt? I can only find the more well known song from the film here.

Tommaso

#118 Post by Tommaso » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:00 am

I've seen the film two months ago during a Billy Wilder retrospective in Berlin (Wilder wrote the screenplay), and yes: it's indeed an essential film, one of the most charming of those Weimar soundfilm musicals, with a wonderful pairing of Käthe von Nagy and Willy Fritsch. Here are further excerpts, including the glorious scene which features the Comedian Harmonists as cooks.

But unfortunately, the film - like so many others from the period - isn't available on dvd, and it's not even 'floating around' in the usual places, and its one of the most desired films for the fans of the early German film musicals. So if anyone has a copy of whatever quality, please contact me via PM.

accatone

#119 Post by accatone » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 am

3 films by Thomas Arslan (with engl. subs!) now available from Filmgalerie451:
- Im Schatten
- Der schöne Tag
- Geschwister

I have only seen Im Schatten (his most recent film) and Geschwister (featuring KOOL
SAVAS…) and loved them both.

TMDaines

Re: Amazon.de: German discs worth buying

#120 Post by TMDaines » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Tommaso wrote:No German subs on the Trenker discs, unfortunately. And even more unfortunate is the situation of early German sound films on dvd in general. If you want to struggle without subs, you should definitely get those few important films that are available. First recommendations would be:

Der Schimmelreiter (Oertel/Deppe)
Such a pity this doesn't even have German subs for the hard of hearing. For some reason I really struggled with the accents in this one and couldn't comprehend too much. It seemed a decent enough drama but I didn't really understand too many of the details for the conflict. The transfer is better than the average for German films of this period, such a shame there was little effort put into the disk with no extras either.

If anyone has found fansubs for this - in German or English - I'd appreciate knowing where they can be found!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#121 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 pm

It looks like Amazon Germany no longer ships to the US. ;~}

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#122 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:It looks like Amazon Germany no longer ships to the US. ;~}
Try Amazon.it

Der Müde Tod

#123 Post by Der Müde Tod » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:It looks like Amazon Germany no longer ships to the US. ;~}
That's not correct. There are items they don't send (like jewelry or plants), but I assume you are talking about DVDs,
which they generally ship.

The somewhat unclear exception to this rule is when
the product is sold by marketplace seller and is listed as "Versand durch Amazon".

Odd, but that's how it is.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#124 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I see -- so it has to be marked "verkauf durch Amazon.de".

TMDaines

#125 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 am

domino harvey wrote:
Try Amazon.it
Indeed. I would love to know how Amazon.it is consistantly cheaper than Amazon.de, despite the fact that the items seem to come from the Amazon.de warehouse(s) anyway. Grooves-Inc are more often than not the cheapest though if they have what you want in stock. Free shipping worldwide for any orders more than €20 also.