Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
GaryC

Re: Martin Scorsese Presents Masterpieces of Polish Cinema

#51 Post by GaryC » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:43 pm

TheDoug wrote:the blu-ray format is the clincher for acquiring these sets.
It would be for me, given that I watched most of them as PAL SD screeners when they were being shown as part of the London Kinoteka festival last year. But I don't have the money just yet.

shadedpain4

#52 Post by shadedpain4 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:46 am

TheDoug wrote:Even though those that own Volume 1 of this set are just now getting around to viewing said contents, I'm curious as to what the proposed timeframe for the next two sets might be, quarterly or once a year. Once again they'll be some double-dipping for those that own these films in other formats or contained in other box sets but the blu-ray format is the clincher for acquiring these sets. Hopefully next time they'll reconsider how they distribute these bulky sets as well so as to incur less damage. We shall see...
I think Volume 2 is expected in June

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:56 am

The rough plan that I heard was the middle of the year for vol 2 and the end of the year for vol 3, but that's subject to change - if vol 1 does unexpectedly well, there's a case for accelerating things. It's not as though these are a huge production challenge - the restorations already exist, as do the design templates, and the discs are all but barebones.

feihong

#54 Post by feihong » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:55 pm

I watched Camouflage this afternoon and I was suitably impressed. The film was a little bit despairing for my tastes, but it was exceptionally well done, I thought. I watched the Polish blu ray of Austeria the other day and was much more profoundly moved by that film.

Is it my imagination, or is there quite a bit of DNR on the disc? This is the first of the discs in the box I've watched, and I don't know really what to expect from the rest. I was thrilled to be able to see the film, but a little disappointed in the quality of the image.

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:41 pm

The Poles are, sadly, quite keen on DNR, although this seems to be a quirk of individual restoration houses rather than an across-the-board policy. For instance, The Saragossa Manuscript is a veritable Madame Tussaud's, whereas The Hourglass Sanatorium looks fabulous.

L.A.

#56 Post by L.A. » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:51 pm

The Telewizja Kinopolska DVD set from Wojciech Jerzy Has is a keeper then. For the extras department at least, two lengthy documentaries included (totally forgot it had these).

TheDoug

#57 Post by TheDoug » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:06 pm

I just found out that Milestone Films is once again posting the MASTERPIECES OF POLISH CINEMA set with the caveat that one send them an email to get on their waiting list. They have a January 25, 2016 re-stocking date. The pricing is the same as their first USA listing a month or so ago. Link here: http://milestonefilms.com/products/mart ... ish-cinema" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Raulduke

#58 Post by Raulduke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:16 am

There is an offer now on facebook that gives you 10% at store.mspresents.com with promo code WINTER50. But they don't ship to US :-(

ermylaw

#59 Post by ermylaw » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Since I have just successfully locked in my order, I can now safely report that they are taking more orders for this set.

perkizitore

#60 Post by perkizitore » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:45 pm

I have noticed that they now ship to DPRK for a very respectable 110 zloty!
Can we soon expect an endorsement from the Supreme Leader? :P

Lowry_Sam

#61 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:11 am

Saw on Facebook that Milestone has them back in stock & "on sale" for $169.95, & so I impulse bought despite not finding a review yet & already owning the previously released individual titles. But I'm pretty certain that all the titles in all of these sets probably will not make it to individual releases, so I'm not too worried if it's not up to par.

kekid

#62 Post by kekid » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:38 pm

Received this box today. The service from Milestone was exemplary.
I have not had a chance to see any film from the set yet (though I have seen 3 of the films in blu ray format).
However, I am surprised that no-one has so far commented on the packaging. The box is huge. It is about twice as wide as it needs to be. The dead space is taken up by cardboard buffers on both sides. This is a real issue for people with limited shelf-space.
I am happy to get these films, and eagerly await the second volume. (Perhaps I can get rid of the cardboard buffers and put discs from both volumes in a single box.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#63 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 pm

kekid

#64 Post by kekid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:17 pm

Can some of the films included in this project have separate blu ray releases in USA?
We know that "Blind Chance", listed as included in a future box, has already been issued by Criterion.
The booklet also lists "Knife in the Water" as part of the project. Does that eliminate it from future Criterion consideration?

pedromvu

#65 Post by pedromvu » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Can some of the films included in this project have separate blu ray releases in USA?
We know that "Blind Chance", listed as included in a future box, has already been issued by Criterion.
The booklet also lists "Knife in the Water" as part of the project. Does that eliminate it from future Criterion consideration?
I don't think there is anything avoiding them to be released in the US, this release is a Polish release that Milestone is distributing in the US, but it is not a different release.

My guess is that if there are right issues with any of the future titles, those discs may just be region locked on the Polish release, will have to wait for the Vol 3 to see what happens with the titles Criterion owns the rights in the US.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#66 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:01 pm

I suspect Criterion et al won't be bothered to threaten legal action against a small label selling ~200 copies of a specialty item to US customers. I'm sure there's some kind of legal loophole or preexisting arrangement to allow it, but this can't really be seen as a legit financial threat to anyone's stateside rights

drdoros

#67 Post by drdoros » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:I suspect Criterion et al won't be bothered to threaten legal action against a small label selling ~200 copies of a specialty item to US customers. I'm sure there's some kind of legal loophole or preexisting arrangement to allow it, but this can't really be seen as a legit financial threat to anyone's stateside rights
I don't usually answer these kinds of questions, but Milestone doesn't distribute films without the proper rights and besides, we are best friends with the people running Criterion. It's just not going to happen that way. Janus/Criterion worked out a deal with us and the Polish producers for the theatrical release and a solution (either way) will be worked out before any distribution in the US occurs.

dda1996a

#68 Post by dda1996a » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 pm

apperantly after asking them about the next set, they told me it might come out in May, and there will be a bundle for those like me who did not buy the first one yet.
Can anyone speak about the image quality though? I found no info online

jsteffe

#69 Post by jsteffe » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 pm

dda1996a wrote:apperantly after asking them about the next set, they told me it might come out in May, and there will be a bundle for those like me who did not buy the first one yet.
Can anyone speak about the image quality though? I found no info online
They look fine--I wouldn't hesitate to buy. A number of recent Polish restorations are overly cleaned up and thus are missing grain and some detail, both in the DCPs and their Blu-ray incarnations. That is true of some of the titles this set, but it's not that serious of an issue for me for me personally. They still look vastly better than anything I have seen before for almost all the films. I'm thrilled to have these films on Blu-ray.

Arrow

#70 Post by Arrow » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Any updates on volume 2? I haven't been able to find anything.

drdoros

#71 Post by drdoros » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Volume 2 is printing this month. Join Milestone's email list at http://milestonefilms.us3.list-manage1. ... f30d1906e2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it's the way we're announcing their availability to the public. It will be about 10 minutes after the shipment gets to our office.

Arrow

#72 Post by Arrow » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Fantastic! Thank you

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#73 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:39 am

Any update/word on volume two's arrival yet?

drdoros

#74 Post by drdoros » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Poland is hoping in the next few weeks -- late July or early August.

Perkins Cobb

#75 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Is my Volume 1 worth enough to pay for grad school yet?