in search of Delbert Mann's JANE EYRE (1970) ...

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Richard--W

in search of Delbert Mann's JANE EYRE (1970) ...

#1 Post by Richard--W » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:35 am

Are there any fans here of this version starring Susannah York and George C. Scott? The film was beautifully shot by Paul Beeson on Yorkshire locations. This was a Hallmark Hall of Fame TV special in the USA, although I gather it had a theatrical release in the U.K. and was enthusiastically reviewed at the time. It is notable for an early music score by John Williams, which many fans consider to be a masterpiece.

There are a dozen editions on cheap Public Domain labels in the USA. Reading the reviews on amazon is not encouraging, with complaints made about choppy edits, missing footage, dark and streaky picture, and tinny sound. There are also some positive reviews, but since amazon lumps all the reviews of different editions into all the editions, it is impossible to tell which review applies to which edition, and I hesitate to make a purchase.

I wonder if anyone has compared the different editions and perhaps decided on which, if any, is complete and has a decent picture?

Is there a region 2 edition?

Are there any soundtrack collectors here?
Has anyone heard the CD of the John Williams score?
It is now out of print, and used copies are ridiculously expensive.

Richard

Dylan

Re: in search of Delbert Mann's JANE EYRE (1970) ...

#2 Post by Dylan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm

I haven't seen this film but I have heard the John Williams soundtrack. It has lush scoring, sweeping themes, great scherzos, surprise moments of darkness, a wonderful mini-string quartet. Regarding the film itself, it seems to be in the same situation all public domain films are in before a big company finally releases a watchable version - I'd imagine most versions floating out there are from the same source, unless there's a release out there on some region from a different company who obtained a better print.

Richard--W

Re: in search of Delbert Mann's JANE EYRE (1970) ...

#3 Post by Richard--W » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:49 am

Dylan, thanks for the feedback. You make the score sound the way I remember it. No luck finding the soundtrack CD yet at a sane price. Do you own it yourself?

I just bought two vhs tapes and two public domain DVDs of the fllm, all region 1's. Total spent: $22. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with a decent transfer.

Richard