DVDBeaver

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
MichaelB

Re: DVDBeaver

#476 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:50 pm

Telstar wrote:So why no Mondo Vision reviews on DVD Beaver?
As far as I recall, there was a dispute about whether Gary's screengrabs accurately reflected what the discs looked like, and it ended in stalemate because he refused to change his methodology. So from then on he refused to review their discs.

David M.

#477 Post by David M. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:55 pm

The whole saga is actually here on the Mondo Vision thread in the "Boutique Labels" forum. At the time, DVDBeaver were posting blurred screen captures which acted like a glass ceiling for what the encodes (difficult to do on DVD) were like. I reached out to them and demonstrated this, but they didn't understand the problem. Mondo Vision themselves had harsher words, so there's bad blood between the two.

There's no such resolution issue with more recent DVDBeaver captures.

EddieLarkin

#478 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:29 pm

David M. wrote:There's no such resolution issue with more recent DVDBeaver captures.
So they quietly fixed the issue plaguing their screencaps but also wrote this load of rubbish calling out Mondo Vision? Classy.

zedz

#479 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:16 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
David M. wrote:There's no such resolution issue with more recent DVDBeaver captures.
So they quietly fixed the issue plaguing their screencaps but also wrote this load of rubbish calling out Mondo Vision? Classy.
But I thought fixing their flawed image-capturing process would be "unethical"? I'm so confused. . .

med

#480 Post by med » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 pm

I just went to the DVDBeaver home page for the first time in ages and I see this:

Clicking through...

It goes on and on.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#481 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Curse those fake celebrity photos, skewing the results of vital cultural archiving projects like the above.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#482 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Has this forum already made the joke that Gary Tooze really puts the beaver in DVDBeaver? He seems to have calmed down on the stills of nekkid ladies from the films he views.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#483 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 pm

The question is more when have we not made that joke

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#484 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Gary finally gives us a screen grab of a giant cock in his Welcome Home Brother Charles review #progress

Big Ben

#485 Post by Big Ben » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm

domino harvey wrote:Gary finally gives us a screen grab of a giant cock in his Welcome Home Brother Charles review #progress

It's really impressive. Everyone stop what you're doing and go look at it.

jsteffe

#486 Post by jsteffe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Gary finally gives us a screen grab of a giant cock in his Welcome Home Brother Charles review #progress
Sold!

Costa

#487 Post by Costa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 am

Big Ben wrote:

It's really impressive. Everyone stop what you're doing and go look at it.

? I don't see it! :-k

edit: Haha, I think I saw it.
Missed it the first time. :lol:

Shouldn't he have written a "not safe for work" warning as has has done in other releases?

Lost Highway

#488 Post by Lost Highway » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:59 am

I’d never heard of Welcome Home, Brother Charles but from reading up, it sounds like it would make a great double feature with Doris Wishman‘s Deadly Weapons.

joshua

#489 Post by joshua » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:45 pm

I first saw this a couple of years ago under the title Soul Vengeance. My memory of the film is fuzzy, but one thing I remember being surprised about at the time was seeing Charles Burnett's name in the credits.

colinr0380

#490 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Here's a transcript of some of the conversation by the commentators over the trailer on the Blu-ray edition of 42nd Street Forever,
[Chris Poggiali]: This was one of three films Fanaka made while he was a student at UCLA. This was his first feature and he made it as an undergraduate. He then went on to make Emma Mae which was his Masters thesis film. Then Penitentiary I think as a thesis film as well. He just stayed at UCLA for most of the 70s because he said it was the easiest way to made films.
[Michael Gingold]: I would love to know what the staff made of this one when they saw it! I wonder what his grade was on this particular student project!
[Poggiali] Not only was he the first black filmmaker to get an AFI grant, I think he has to be the only film student to have shot three student films and had all three released theatrically. All three played all over the United States.

McCrutchy

#491 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 am

I've not watched the disc yet, but unless that's some crazy forced perspective shot, that must be a fake.

And Gary's subsequent review of To the Devil a Daughter might have his most (unintentionally?) NSFW collection of screenshots in the history of the site. Seriously, probably don't open that one at work, because, he went almost everywhere he could have gone (and incidentally, also spoiled one of the most grotesque reveals of the film).

Morbii

#492 Post by Morbii » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:45 am

McCrutchy wrote: And Gary's subsequent review of To the Devil a Daughter might have his most (unintentionally?) NSFW collection of screenshots in the history of the site. Seriously, probably don't open that one at work, because, he went almost everywhere he could have gone (and incidentally, also spoiled one of the most grotesque reveals of the film).
I love the screenshot montage of faces surrounding the upskirt.

Alphonse Tram

#493 Post by Alphonse Tram » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:24 am

I'm no prude, but it is probably a bit much to use a cap of a naked 14 year-old girl on a Blu-ray review!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#494 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:10 am

Gary Tooze on the Day After wrote:It is full of enthusiasm diverging off into other social awareness films with their political leanings showing through. I wasn't crazy about that aspect or the occasional F-bomb.
Is Gary right wing now too? I haven't heard this commentary so maybe the commentators go off into right wing comments and Gary's speaking out as a liberal? Either way, not something I recall coming up before in one of his writeups

Alphonse Tram

#495 Post by Alphonse Tram » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 am

A cursory check on both commentators twitter accounts would indicate they certainly lean to the left. So you could be right. That said, It is also possible that Gary just doesn't like people talking politics in audio commentaries, regardless of leanings.

MichaelB

#496 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:02 am

Although surely this is the kind of film where a political angle is amply justified?

Zot!

#497 Post by Zot! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 am

I might suggest that its exceedingly unfair to draw conclusions on Gary from these scant few words. In today's environment people may be unfairly prejudiced by even the slightest accusation. I think we can safely say that Gary is a very openminded cineaste with megatons (pun intended) of writing and capping to evidence that. If I had to guess, I would imagine he just thinks the commentators sound "stupid", as evidenced by his complaint that they swear for effect, when we know he is certainly not a prude. Benefit of the doubt from me anyways. Also, in typical beaver fashion, he goes back and calls the commentary a valuable feature in the summary. Sloppy yes, politically divisive....very likely not.

HJackson

#498 Post by HJackson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:20 am

Dom just asked if he was right wing. The idea that this is some kind of libel that we have to protect Gary Tooze from by giving him the "benefit of the doubt" is ridiculous. Many, many people are right wing. I didn't sense any kind of accusation in what Dom asked.

For what it's worth, he has expressed admiration for Ayn Rand in the past and considers The Fountainhead one of his favourite movies. I'm not sure how relevant this is though - we've all been reading his stuff for years and the fact that it's taken until now for people to speculate on his personal views is pretty good evidence that his politics doesn't inform his practice in any significant way.

Zot!

#499 Post by Zot! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 am

Hey, I wish it wasnt a libelous kind of suggestion, but in the US anyway, things seem to be pretty hard line these days from both sides(and yes there are only two). So, possible outcome are exalted martyrdom (a la Trump), or dismissal (a la Roseanne). Gary has also praised Godard and many other flagrantly lefty filmmakers, so Id like to think hes quite fair and unbiased in his assesments, and I agree with your last paragraph. Sorry, but I have appreciation for anybody actually willing to listen to a disc commentary they dont like long enough to form an opinion. I certainly dont have the time.

Fitznoirre

#500 Post by Fitznoirre » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 am

If you check out who DVDBeaver follows on Twitter - https://twitter.com/DVDBeaver/following - you'll a lot of Trump and Fox accounts - Trump, Ann Coulter, Sarah Sanders, Tucker Carlson etc as well as a bunch of other MAGA stuff and anti-liberal accounts. He also follows Kanye (or Ye).